"Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work" (2007) - BBC Documentary on the Windsors

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now, I must disagree about the Ambassador's wife. Mad as a box of frogs. A bit clumsy, not a snazzy dresser and a bit OTT - as I said, pure Su Pollard.

Now, I must disagree about the Ambassador's wife. Mad as a box of frogs. A bit clumsy, not a snazzy dresser and a bit OTT - as I said, pure Su Pollard.

BeatrixFan I couldnt agree more a complete nutcase :lol::lol: but she was very funny in her own unique way especially when she knocked the chair over at the banquet the Queen just gave her this look of disgust

Thoughts on this week's episode;

1. Lovely to see Charles and Camilla down on the farm
2. The Queen was alot jollier this episode
3. Those 'Royal Watchers' should be shot. How embarrasing. One insisted on pestering the Queen twice and then shouted at the organisers 'cos they wanted to let schoolchildren meet the Queen. And that guy in the Union Jack suit! Grabbed the Queen, then bored her with tales of music and then gave her pictures of herself. Moron. Good job I'm not Queen, I'd have decked 'em.

Yep this week was quite interesting. C & C at the farm, that was great. The owners showed some imagination and named two cows after them :cool:
As for the events, the footie topic was quite eyecatching but I HATE all these corgies running around in Buckingham Palace when the Queen receives her guests. I wonder if she has employed a pitiful human being for cleaning the carpets only :eek:
The Royal Train should be abolished - only HM thinks that trains will go directly to Brighton in 45 minutes and commuting isn't as bad :rolleyes: I appreciated that she went into that day care center though, very down to earth. Hope it wasn't for PR reasons only.

How many episodes are there in total???? Will it be shown in the U.S.? I am SO ENVIOUS of all of you...Sam, great play by play comments by the way. :)

I agree about the Royal Train. It is an extravagance that really isn't justified.

How many episodes are there in total???? Will it be shown in the U.S.? I am SO ENVIOUS of all of you...Sam, great play by play comments by the way. :)

:lol: Thankyou m'dear. I believe there are 4 episodes. If they're not shown in the US (which I doubt) I'm sure there'll be a DVD. Next week is following the other members of the Royal Family on their day to day rounds. Charles, Anne, Edward and Andrew all give interviews apparantly.

You can now pre-order the DVDs from either Amazon or the BBC shop, Amazon's cheaper!

Agreed--great play by play. Really wets the appetite.

I am hoping it will be shown here. I had read that ABC had bought the rights for the American showing possibly with Diane Sawyer hosting. So maybe a Primetime Special?? I guess with the writers strike and ABC running out of TV shows to put on..there is a chance we may see it soon?? Usually, these type of programs are shown on my state's PBS Channel.

In response to "the darker side of Betty" or, just the fact that the Queen was apparently cranky...............so what? She is human right? I mean come on, how can you expect someone to be happy and joyous, and pleasant 24/7? It inhuman!!!!

So, this episode;

1) William came across very well, a bit camp but we like that. Kate got an official mention so methinks next year is wedding time.
2) Princess Anne lovely.
3) AT LAST, Princess Alexandra gets some recognition and we hear her voice. Faaaabulous woman, very dignified, perfection and everything Miss Middleton should aim to be.
4) Edward - why?
5) Andrew - why?
6) Duke of Gloucester - hilarious. Watching a display of dancing, his question to the teacher is; "And is this roof insulated?".
7) Harry - that boy is gorgeous. I want him and I want him NOW.

So, this episode;

1) William came across very well, a bit camp but we like that. Kate got an official mention so methinks next year is wedding time.
2) Princess Anne lovely.
3) AT LAST, Princess Alexandra gets some recognition and we hear her voice. Faaaabulous woman, very dignified, perfection and everything Miss Middleton should aim to be.
4) Edward - why?
5) Andrew - why?
6) Duke of Gloucester - hilarious. Watching a display of dancing, his question to the teacher is; "And is this roof insulated?".
7) Harry - that boy is gorgeous. I want him and I want him NOW.
William came across as nice but dim
Harry, no comment
Anne, wonderful, friendly and made everyone at her events happy.
Alexandra, as one might expect.
Mr Slimy Edward and Mr Stroppy Andrew, indeed WHY
DUke of Gloucester, clearly more interested in the ceiling but then who could blame him! :D

Alexandra? As one might expect? She was faaaabulous darling! A jewel in the crown. I agree about William but the way he said, "Oh my God" was practically John Inman. I agree with you about Slimy Edward and Stroppy Andrew though. Why no comment for Harry?

Andrew has been a Naval Officer for many years. His demeanour and way of speaking forcefully is typical of that background. He is not a courtier, obsequious, etc. He is a man who doesn't suffer fools gladly (like Prince Philip) and likes to get things done.

I think many people take him up wrongly. He has contributed a lot to the country (starting with being a decoy in a helicopter in the Falklands War, with the chance of being shot down any moment) and I for one don't mind if he gets irritated with journalists! :)

Alexandra? As one might expect? She was faaaabulous darling! A jewel in the crown. I agree about William but the way he said, "Oh my God" was practically John Inman. I agree with you about Slimy Edward and Stroppy Andrew though. Why no comment for Harry?
As one might expect - beautifully turned out, spoken and engaging - how I expect our royals to behave! :flowers:

Harry, nice window dressing for some! :flowers:
Andrew has been a Naval Officer for many years. His demeanour and way of speaking forcefully is typical of that background. He is not a courtier, obsequious, etc. He is a man who doesn't suffer fools gladly (like Prince Philip) and likes to get things done.

I think many people take him up wrongly. He has contributed a lot to the country (starting with being a decoy in a helicopter in the Falklands War, with the chance of being shot down any moment) and I for one don't mind if he gets irritated with journalists! :)
His way of dismissing people curtly has nothing to do with being an ex officer. Even ex officers, on the whole, make every effort to remain polite to all comers. His little tantrum in the car was despicable. It is a matter of opinion as to IF he has contributed anything to the country, (personally I think not), he has his own thread to discuss that though. Many navy personel were engaged in the Falklands war and he was never used as a decoy, whether Andrew was afforded extra protection is something that will not be revealed for many years, however his contribution was no more than any other member of the forces engaged in the war!

Well said Skydragon. The Duke of York seems to think that a jaunt to the Falklands means that he is owed unconditional deference and a blind eye to his extremely low workload. It's about time he was brought down a peg or two - and that goes for his strange brother as well.

And throw away my chance of a Damehood? Not on your Nellie luv.

was william not abit dozy for his early 6am visit to centrepoint maybe he had been out the night before

If it was because he had been out drinking, lets hope he is more alert and with it, when he has an early morning duty! :eek::D

I have just seen it.

- I wish they had changed the law and allowed the first born child to take the throne, Anne would make a fabulous monarch, no doubt about that.
- Andrew: the fact that he agreed to include the footage of him clearly shows that he has lost the ability to reflect or think about his behaviour and truly believes that he's gods gift to the UK (sorry but what an a$$*** attitude) - if he wanted to demonstrate how important his trips around the world on the taxpayer's expenses are it clearly backfired, at least with me.
- Edward: well, he failed in anything outside royalty so the only thing that is left for him is what has been granted to him by birth, the right of being a member of the royal family. Thanks (or maybe not) to the media he has to WORK to somehow give a proof to the public that he does earn a living by working, at least by talking blah blah in a suit or trying to organize an event. A bit pitiful, really. I loved Sophie though, she makes a great and approachable member of the family at events.
- Harry: no comment, either. I do hope he does not end up like one of his uncles, either useless or arrogant.
- William: thanks to his late mom he seems to have a way with people but somehow he comes across as dull and blah, okay okay he will have more time to develop but he better makes use of it quickly since he will have to develop into a royal heavyweight like his grandparents are. If everything goes ahead like human nature usually does we'll probably see a short reign of a King Charles, succeeded by a King William with a much longer road & tougher challenges ahead. He'd better be prepared or we'll see many many more of these nice chaps along the road with signs asking "8.756 nurses or 1 useless King?"

I have just seen it.

- I wish they had changed the law and allowed the first born child to take the throne, Anne would make a fabulous monarch, no doubt about that.

That would make sense only if Anne were the first born child.

Just seen the last episode:
Some good surprises:The POW: a very very nice man, at ease (apparently) and friendly. The same for the Duke of Goucester, very down to earth. The big point is the Princess Royal: What a stature! She's born to be queen for sure! And Princess Alexandra: like her mother: epitome of grace and elegance!
I liked William and Harry, well they are young and have a lot to learn but it was not bad at all.
And of course i totally agree for Andrew and Edward: a big disapointment!" they're far too grand for us":lol:

That would make sense only if Anne were the first born child.

uuppps I mixed something up :bang:

But my conclusion will remain - a Queen Anne would certainly have been another example of a good and strong woman monarch in this family.

Queen Anne is strong, just like her mother. I'm glad that the Queen didn't let Annie Leibowitz put her down. Queen Elizabeth is a strong and dignified woman. I wish that I had a fraction of her strength and dignity.

They are calling it "A Year With the Royal Family" here , been advertising it heavily no starting date but now saying "February" getting very impatient lol it's been going on for months!

Accoring to this report LINK there will be a shortened version of this documentary shown in th US on March 3rd.
"A Year With the Queen" will air as a two-hour special March 3. Barbara Walters has just finished taping an introduction at Buckingham Palace.

The series ran in five episodes in the UK, the first I believe running 1 1/2 hours and the other four 1 hour each. So, we're getting only two hours of it. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm feeling frustrated that so much of the original will be left out.

Back
Top Bottom