The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Who is to say that Meghan's friend's version of what she is like is the right one? They could easily be trying to spin us a tale as well.

The truth is that we don't know exactly what is happening but that there does seem to be a higher than normal turnover in staff and many 'sources' saying things.

Those 'sources' are not always fiction but often are actual staff who are supplementing their miserly income with leaks to the media. The media can't identify the individual as they would then lose their 'sources' and get the person sacked.

The BRF also use their staff to sometimes leak information so long as the 'leak' isn't identified, in case the real source is identified as a member of the BRF.

Many years ago I had a friend who worked for the BRF and she would often have afternoon tea with a member of the press. Sometimes she told them 'snippets' of information that weren't that important but sometimes she was asked to let something slip by various members of the BRF such as The Queen and Princess Margaret. She worked at BP for over 20 years and left with a glowing reference - even though The Queen knew she supplemented her income with 'leaks' to the media.

I therefore do listen when 'sources' inside the palace say things as I know that there are real sources the media have access to inside the BRF.

I am less inclined to swallow the words of 'friends' in many situations as they don't tend to see the royal when deal with their staff but I am prepared to hear both sides and not blindly assume that one is telling the truth and the other lying.
The only turnover that was surprising is Amy and her female bodyguard. Samantha was always to leave after six months. I think she did extend her stay a bit to after Archie’s birth. ELF’s departure didn’t surprise any of the media and they did say it was long planned when it happened, but of course later it was changed to blame it all on Meghan. We still don’t know if this Melissa person actually worked for them. Unlike a lot of aides, we’ve never seen this person with either of the Sussexes.

Why do I believe Meghan’s friends than those “leaks” in this case? Because it’s not a case of her friends’ words against the “leaks”. This isn’t a woman we didn’t know before. She had her own profile and worked in an industry that WILL gossip about people that are difficult to work with. Her costars have always spoke of her in glowing light as a colleague. She’s had assistants before. Unlike a lot of other royal spouses, she’s had an established track record. And all of sudden it just does a 180? And certainly the “leaks” have had their own differences it seems.

And here’s the thing when I saw some clips of her friends. It must be terribly frustrating to see this happening. On one hand, people seem to like Harry and are happy for them. But on the other, as a friend, how can you wish them to be in a situation like this?

Old 05-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Royal Highness

I saw the special and while it gave glowing recaps of Meghan's life as a royal it also served as an indictment of the British media's coverage of her. Apparently it struck a nerve because DM put out a story accusing Meghan having a hand in producing the special. BP put out a statement denying it quickly. At least Gayle King got royal experts and friends on the record. The tabloids can't say the same. When you are reporting things that damages reputation you have more of a responsibility to back up what you say. Name your informants and produce documents and subject both to further scrutiny. Fear of job loss is not good enough and what they are telling is not a matter of national security. And how do the reporters know those informants are not feeding them false information just to get cash? The reporters apparently don't believe in fact checking. And the RRs wonder why people think their reporting is dismissed as fake news in some quarters.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
My fear is that not that long ago, there was a British Princess who sought to engage with the Press, outside of the usual royal norms. That ended badly. I so do hope Meghan, with the benefit of the experience of that Princess and her sons, is careful in how she seeks to manage her / their media profile. I also hope she has the wisdom that authorising her friends to speak out on her behalf is not going to solve her issues with the media. Hard work will. There are great examples within the BRF of how the media narrative has been turned around: Anne, Sophie, Charles, William, Catherine, Prince Philip...
Meghan is American and biracial. Some folks are determined not to give her a chance like they gave others. That’s been clearly evident over these past months. She’s working hard by doing her duties and focusing on her family. She’s doing what she is suppose to do.

A long time ago, a British Princess was put in an impossible situation and with no help. That left her no other choice but to go in the fight in the way she saw fit. No other royal woman should have to go through that.

I’ve always said: the only way for a woman, who marries into the royal family, can survive and thrive in their royal career is to have a massive amount of love and support around them. Without that support, all hell could break loose.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Meghan is American and biracial. Some folks are determined not to give her a chance like they gave others. That’s been clearly evident over these past months. She’s working hard by doing her duties and focusing on her family. She’s doing what she is suppose to do.

A long time ago, a British Princess was put in an impossible situation and with no help. That left her no other choice but to go in the fight in the way she saw fit. No other royal woman should have to go through that.

I’ve always said: the only way for a woman, who marries into the royal family, can survive and thrive in their royal career is to have a massive amount of love and support around them. Without that support, all hell could break loose.
I agree with you in that love and support of friends and family is good. However, trying to set the record straight in the Press may work for celebrities, but it never works for royals in the long term, unless you have the Palace machinery behind you.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I agree with you in that love and support of friends and family is good. However, trying to set the record straight in the Press may work for celebrities, but it never works for royals in the long term, unless you have the Palace machinery behind you.
Meghan have a palace machine behind her. She’s not doing anything without palace backing. Although, I think there was a underestimation in the KP’s press office when it comes to the media reporting on Meghan. I don’t think those in the palace press office know how to deal with the onslaught of extreme negative and racial undertones in the reporting on Meghan. A lack of diverse experience and perspectives in that office and royal media is also causing problems.

It’s 2019, but the world Meghan married into isn’t in 2019. The royal world gotta catch up. Now. There’s a problem though...some folks don’t want it to catch up.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-19-2019, 02:33 PM
Nobility

This was more than a joyous celebration of Meghan and Harry and baby Archie. This called out the unfair coverage and maligning by the British media. How it all is tinged with racial bias and racism. It didn’t hold back and I for one applaud Gayle King for not sugarcoating what has been a year mixed with happiness, love and joy for Meghan & Harry and ugliness/maltreatment by the British media by coddling her toxic family.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
This was more than a joyous celebration of Meghan and Harry and baby Archie. This called out the unfair coverage and maligning by the British media. How it all is tinged with racial bias and racism. It didn’t hold back and I for one applaud Gayle King for not sugarcoating what has been a year mixed with happiness, love and joy for Meghan & Harry and ugliness/maltreatment by the British media by coddling her toxic family.
I agree
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/meghan-...online-stream/
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 05-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
I couldn't agree more about the Markles. The media weaponized them as "proof" that Meghan is of low character not only based on what they said but based on how they acted. I'm glad Gayle only mentioned Dad's Pap gate and left the half sibs out, basically stating they are not important.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Meghan have a palace machine behind her. She’s not doing anything without palace backing.
If she continues to persist with authorising her friends to speak to the media on her behalf without the consent of "The Firm", as was widely reported when the 5 friends spoke to a US publication not that long ago, she will find Palace support will rapidly vanish. For her, Harry and everybody's sake, I hope it does not come to that.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 PM

Ingrid Seward said Meghan "irritates" because she is not an "English Rose". Meghan will never get fair coverage if the British media is annoyed by her complexion and nationality.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Carys View Post
Ingrid Seward said Meghan "irritates" because she is not an "English Rose". Meghan will never get fair coverage if the British media is annoyed by her complexion and nationality.
I don't believe that, for the vast majority of the British Press, the issue is either complexion or nationality.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If she continues to persist with authorising her friends to speak to the media on her behalf without the consent of "The Firm", as was widely reported when the 5 friends spoke to a US publication not that long ago, she will find Palace support will rapidly vanish. For her, Harry and everybody's sake, I hope it does not come to that.
The royals have their friends to speak on their behalf lots of times. They’ve even been in documentaries about the royals. I don’t know why people have suddenly gotten into this idea that Meghan has done something totally different and wrong. She hasn’t. Although, I believe Meghan had nothing to do with anyone being interviewed in this program.

There’s a lot of false narratives about her and that’s what people are following. She’s not this Royal Breaker of Protocols and Traditions as people are trying to make her out to be.

As for her friends coming to her defense in the US publication: the right move was made with the palaces backing. She’s not going to do anything without her officials knowing about it. The KP officials didn’t seem to know how to deal with it all any other way. It was all snowballing into an incontrolable situation. Some of the British media wasn’t to happy about it because it went against their narrative, the move wasn’t made with them, but a with a US publication. A move had to be made.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The royals have their friends to speak on their behalf lots of times. They’ve even been in documentaries about the royals. I don’t know why people have suddenly gotten into this idea that Meghan has done something totally different and wrong. She hasn’t. Although, I believe Meghan had nothing to do with anyone being interviewed in this program.

There’s a lot of false narratives about her and that’s what people are following. She’s not this Royal Breaker of Protocols and Traditions as people are trying to make her out to be.

As for her friends coming to her defense in the US publication: the right move was made with the palaces backing. She’s not going to do anything without her officials knowing about it. The KP officials didn’t seem to know how to deal with it all any other way. It was all snowballing into an incontrolable situation. Some of the British media wasn’t to happy about it because it went against their narrative, the move wasn’t made with them, but a with a US publication. A move had to be made.
Why?

Obviously, there is a lot of interest in the Sussexes in the US, so I think programs like this are inevitable. A US program, presented by a US personality (Gayle King), however, does exactly nothing in the UK to promote the Sussexes to the people who they are actually supposed to be serving. If the program had been on British TV, I think you'd have a good point, but this is clearly designed to appeal to the American fan base, not to British consumers. It seems to me as though it is an attempted end run around the British press, which may or may not turn out to have been a wise strategy in the long run. I'm beginning to think that Meghan and Harry might be better served to try to get on a better footing with the British press rather than trying to circumvent them. I have no idea if that's possible or not.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Why?

Obviously, there is a lot of interest in the Sussexes in the US, so I think programs like this are inevitable. A US program, presented by a US personality (Gayle King), however, does exactly nothing in the UK to promote the Sussexes to the people who they are actually supposed to be serving. If the program had been on British TV, I think you'd have a good point, but this is clearly designed to appeal to the American fan base, not to British consumers. It seems to me as though it is an attempted end run around the British press, which may or may not turn out to have been a wise strategy in the long run. I'm beginning to think that Meghan and Harry might be better served to try to get on a better footing with the British press rather than trying to circumvent them. I have no idea if that's possible or not.
Members of British press are involved with this project as well. Although, the interesting tone compared to what they've written is telling. I wonder if it's the case of catering to their audiences or a case of someone writing whatever they want when they sit behind a keyboard versus in person. Or perhaps a bit of both.

And frankly, I have to question if the British press is actually pissed at the Sussexes because they were denied something or if they are just pissed that the American media have better access to people that knew Meghan due to her background? Either way, I don't see that the Sussexes has denied the press much. If we are to talk about getting on a better footing. The constant complaint from British press was that the young royals act like they don't exist at events. Meghan is the only one that consistently says hi, bye, or thanks them for coming to her engagement.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
/

As for her friends coming to her defense in the US publication: the right move was made with the palaces backing. She’s not going to do anything without her officials knowing about it.
We don't quite know that, do we? A lot of the commentary at the time of the article with the 5 friends speaking out had suggested that the Palace had been blind sighted by the publication.

Quote:
/

It was all snowballing into an incontrolable situation.
What was?

Quote:
Why?

It seems to me as though it is an attempted end run around the British press, which may or may not turn out to have been a wise strategy in the long run. I'm beginning to think that Meghan and Harry might be better served to try to get on a better footing with the British press rather than trying to circumvent them. I have no idea if that's possible or not.
I think you are right. To me, the better strategy would be to work with the British press to rebuild the bridges that have been burnt in the last two years. Whether Meghan recognises it or not, Britain is the "home" and the "Main" market, and she has to get that right. At the end of the day, it is a symbiotic relationship, and is in the interest of both sides to make it work. Camilla is a classic example of evolving from one of the most hated women in the land to a well respected senior member of the BRF.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:01 PM
Majesty

If Meghan and her team want to set the record straight why not use UK media. Britain has glossy magazines, Britain has morning breakfast shows. It's seems she's more concerned about what Americans think of her than Brits.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
We don't quite know that, do we? A lot of the commentary at the time of the article with the 5 friends speaking out had suggested that the Palace had been blind sighted by the publication.

What was?

I think you are right. To me, the better strategy would be to work with the British press to rebuild the bridges that have been burnt in the last two years. Whether Meghan recognises it or not, Britain is the "home" and the "Main" market, and she has to get that right. At the end of the day, it is a symbiotic relationship, and is in the interest of both sides to make it work. Camilla is a classic example of evolving from one of the most hated women in the land to a well respected senior member of the BRF.
Meghan ain’t gonna do jack without Harry and their palace officials backing.

What was snowballing into an uncontrollable situation? MrM and his using the British press to slam her, her husband and the RF. I said it many times before, something had to be done and you notice how things quieted down after that. Don’t know how long it’ll last, but the record was set straight.

The DOC situation was different and she needed a whole years-long campaign to help her get to where she’s at today. That’s not where Meghan is at all.

Although the British people have largely embraced Meghan, in some corners, the idea of a biracial American woman stealing their favorite prince’s heart ain’t going down so well. Some of them are fully determined to rip her a new one cause of their own personal problems with her. Not that she’s done something wrong. She hasn’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
If Meghan and her team want to set the record straight why not use UK media. Britain has glossy magazines, Britain has morning breakfast shows. It's seems she's more concerned about what Americans think of her than Brits.
Well, hasn’t it been parts of the UK media producing the onslaught of unfair treatment and bashing since she announced he pregnancy and got back from the big tour? She didn’t deserve that kind of treatment at all.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Meghan ain’t gonna do jack without Harry and their palace officials backing.

What was snowballing into an uncontrollable situation? MrM and his using the British press to slam her, her husband and the RF. I said it many times before, something had to be done and you notice how things quieted down after that. Don’t know how long it’ll last, but the record was set straight.

The DOC situation was different and she needed a whole years-long campaign to help her get to where she’s at today. That’s not where Meghan is at all.

Although the British people have largely embraced Meghan, in some corners, the idea of a biracial American woman stealing their favorite prince’s heart ain’t going down so well. Some of them are fully determined to rip her a new one cause of their own personal problems with her. Not that she’s done something wrong. She hasn’t.
Who is MrM?

And I still have no idea how an American program, made for the US market, is going to do anything at all to "set straight" any record in the UK.

And, not in direct response to Dman, but I will also add that I think the determination to view Meghan, an intelligent, accomplished, mature woman as a perpetual victim is becoming very odd to me. She's handled herself with a great deal of dignity, and consistently portraying her as a helpless victim is not doing her or anyone else any favors.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And, not in direct response to Dman, but I will also add that I think the determination to view Meghan, an intelligent, accomplished, mature woman as a perpetual victim is becoming very odd to me. She's handled herself with a great deal of dignity, and consistently portraying her as a helpless victim is not doing her or anyone else any favors.
I don't think anyone is portraying her as a helpless victim. The fact of matter is she has been treated unfairly by the UK press from the day her relationship with Harry came out. It's gotten to the point where the member of British press thought it was ok and normal to say to NYT that they will use their proverbial pen to settle personal scores rather than be a journalist.

Even when things have gotten to this point, people seem to have problem with her friends having an issue with the nasty things that is said about her though.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Who is MrM?
Mr Markle, her father.

Quote:

And I still have no idea how an American program, made for the US market, is going to do anything at all to "set straight" any record in the UK.
That is indeed true. A program by a known close friend (close enough to be invited to her baby shower, though never known to have connected beforehand) telecast in a foreign land and not the UK, is hardly going to help the situation with either the British public or her father.

My guess is that the reason the father has stopped is either he has seen the error of his ways, or the Daily Mail is not seeing much value in what he now has to reveal.

Closed Thread