"Mary: The Making of a Princess" (2015) - Network Ten Australia Telemovie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How are you able to watch it Hermione? The video didn't load up for me on the channel 10's website

did you have to download anything. mine doesn't play.

I use Tunnel Bear for region locked content. Consistently reliable. It's paid- but it only costs $6.99. (I use it for Downton Abbey too)

Watching!!! And actually really enjoying so far. :)

Loved it a beautiful love story. It's a movie based on their story it's not a documentary. So if your not into feel good romance it's not for you. I loved it Prince Henrik seem spot on and gave me a laugh. I think it was well done.

So agree with you royal rob - I loved it.

Thank everybody for all the updates at the premiere of the Australian movie :flowers:

Perhaps a Danish channel buys it someday. It sounds to be a film you put on when you want to relax and have a nice cozy time with a love story.

And we all need such film some rainy days. Perhaps needless to make a movie about still living people, but it's a tribute to Frederik and Mary from Australia and of course proud of a fellow countryman who is a beloved future Queen on the other side of the world now. I will see the film when I get the chance.

I see Womans Day by celebrate it by telling that our Crown Prince Couple again become King and Queen tomorrow :D
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=34ead7656f3414b42b7a433fee6ef498&oe=56B1CE38

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, for the details and comments. I watched the Daily Mail videos - I'm not cringing, but I am blushing :blush:

Unfortunately it isn't possible for me to watch the clips posted above, but Daily Mail has two scenes from the movie: Did Denmark's Prince Frederik really propose to Mary by the side of the road? | Daily Mail Online

The scene where Frederik is bare-arsed at the beach.

And the scene where he proposed - on a road in Tasmania...!

I see from the vidcaps in the article that we get some sex too.

oh la la:whistling::p:p
I have turned red watching the clip on the DM. blush worthy :ROFLMAO::lol:
no wonder Mary followed Frederik to Denmark lol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;);)

"which includes the icy Queen Margrethe II, ... Planning their first social engagement, she asks Mary, “Do you like Lord Of The Rings?” before one-upping her future daughter-in-law with a haughty “I illustrated the Danish edition of books.” :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::lol::lol: LOL this is perfection!

"Mary’s best friend Amber asks a teary Andrew, “Are you crying? What happened to ‘the paternalistic capitalist construct [of marriage]?’”, recalling his speech in the shared house back in 2000. Eventually, staring at the swan who became an even more beautiful swan, he whimpers, “Mary makes it look good.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LOL. i have second hand embarrassment for all people "involved":lol:

Last edited:
"which includes the icy Queen Margrethe II, ... Planning their first social engagement, she asks Mary, “Do you like Lord Of The Rings?” before one-upping her future daughter-in-law with a haughty “I illustrated the Danish edition of books.” :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::lol::lol: LOL this is perfection!

"Mary’s best friend Amber asks a teary Andrew, “Are you crying? What happened to ‘the paternalistic capitalist construct [of marriage]?’”, recalling his speech in the shared house back in 2000. Eventually, staring at the swan who became an even more beautiful swan, he whimpers, “Mary makes it look good.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LOL. i have second hand embarrassment for all people "involved":lol:

According to I think it was Sydney Morning Herald, QMII should have forced Mary to sign a contract pledging her to deliver at least an heir and a spare...!!
Well, apart from the alternative portrayal of QMII it is of course a well-known fact that women are responsible for booking the stork...

- And while we are at it, how come there is still a nine month delivery time from the fields in Africa where babies are grown. One should think they'd be more efficient by now.
This seems worse than The Prince and Me and that was a fairly innocent movie aimed at teenage girls.

You can watch on youtube now! I'm entertaining myself, just to take a break from the current horrible news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1puxO3oKQSk

just saw the first seven minutes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
and i think Im hooked into seeing this cheesy romance movie lol :p
according to this it was Joachim that volunteers Frederik into the bare vs hairy chest contest and the one that reveals the "truth" that Frederik is a crown prince.

now I have to see the rest:lol:

Utterly cringeworthy as expected, so no surprises there.

The only question really is . . . . how do you explain such drivel to your children?

Pretty much lightweight ... meh. Nothing earth shattering. I wonder if the script was written in big block letters?

UMMM.....lol, what is with the voices?? is it just because it's on utube?? or is that really their voices?? they sound like they sucked helium out of balloons or something! special CP Frederick! lmao!!!

UMMM.....lol, what is with the voices?? is it just because it's on utube?? or is that really their voices?? they sound like they sucked helium out of balloons or something! special CP Frederick! lmao!!!

That's a bit rude ! Not American actors !!!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

^ Didn't the people who put this on YouTube put the audio on high so that the YouTube video wouldn't be reproduced?

I didn't think much of the accents of Queen Margrethe and Frederik. I think the Danish accent in English would be quite hard to reproduce.

I watched it on the night and didn't have too many hopes for this TV movie as Channel 10 never spend ten cents when one will do. I wasn't disappointed. It was a very light bit of fluff with a pretty appalling script, IMO, and that's all I can say about it.

Last edited:
I've started to watch it and I think it's just plain fun! :flowers:

UMMM.....lol, what is with the voices?? is it just because it's on utube?? or is that really their voices?? they sound like they sucked helium out of balloons or something! Especially CP Frederick! lmao!!!

Exactly so! :p

^ Didn't the people who put this on YouTube put the audio on high so that the YouTube video wouldn't be reproduced?

Yep. A bit distracting unfortunately. May get taken down so watch while we can. :cool:

:previous::lol: That's actually a good one.

Have they got more with Mary? Or Frederik for that matter.

Call me crazy...but I enjoyed it!

Now don't get me wrong...I have seen the Charles and Diana movies [both versions of the romance and the movie that explained why it went all wrong], both William and Catherine movies and the Charles and Camilla movie. They are all cheesy and play loosey goosey with the facts. So this wasn't that much of a surprise.

That being said, for someone who wasn't around when Mary met and married Frederik, it was nice to see an "interpretation" of how it happened. I think the movie got a couple of things right [i.e. how they met, the struggle to over come the long distance romance, dealing with the press, etc.) and I am sure things they got wrong (i.e.. proposing on the side of the highway, the ambivalence of Joachim and Alexandria (where they ever happy?), the lack of assistance by the Queen, etc.

The movie didn't take itself too seriously.

As someone mentioned, with all the terrible things happening in the world..it was nice to escape into a world where a boy met a girl and fell in love.

Ok, so I watched it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
it was a bit fun if you like cheesy romances with dramatic scenes sprinkled in to move along the plot. and if you like overly dramatic and predictable dialogue
I think this movie would have made more sense 10 years ago. Now we "know" more.

I think the writers already had a cheesy romance with their drama points already in mind and then just logged on to google, wikepedia and maybe a forum to get some quotes and basic facts. :flowers:

Hopefully I dont give away too many spoilers, but I can summarize it in two parts.
First part Australia: cheesy, fun. couple following in love..cue the music montages and dramatic dialogue.
Second part Denmark: Drama! ice cold....really i thought Denmark was a happy place lol. They made the royal family ice cold. Mary is transformed, Frederik the reluctant prince having second thoughts, is Mary changing too much "but we will be stronger together"

The Queen: ice cold. so dramatic "fetch me my eldest son" :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
Joachim: cold. checked himself out of the relationship and family and a pushover by Alexandra .
Alexandra: cold and calculating. degrades Joachim and tells a worker to "shoo"
A scene with Mary
"they are boys, no backbone the two of them, they need strong women, so if you want the job.." "I just want Frederik" "I was at that stage once"..cue dramatic music lol:ROFLMAO:

Mary: fun , determined, a little ditsy
Frederik: a bit dull. i saw no passion in this actor. just goes along with mommy's orders and the private secretary . but in love with Mary
John: So cold towards his daughter..

I might write a summary of the highlights later on lol

Okay, wife and I have so far seen some twenty minutes (then the phone rang, so we're on hold :p).
It's a chick flick and as such I'm genetically unable to understand most of it. So far not at horrible as I feared, but I think most guys would have started to nod off by now.

How come they sound like Mickey and Minnie Mouse? :ermm:

Ok, so I watched it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
it was a bit fun if you like cheesy romances with dramatic scenes sprinkled in to move along the plot. and if you like overly dramatic and predictable dialogue
I think this movie would have made more sense 10 years ago. Now we "know" more.

I think the writers already had a cheesy romance with their drama points already in mind and then just logged on to google, wikepedia and maybe a forum to get some quotes and basic facts. :flowers:

Hopefully I dont give away too many spoilers, but I can summarize it in two parts.
First part Australia: cheesy, fun. couple following in love..cue the music montages and dramatic dialogue.
Second part Denmark: Drama! ice cold....really i thought Denmark was a happy place lol. They made the royal family ice cold. Mary is transformed, Frederik the reluctant prince having second thoughts, is Mary changing too much "but we will be stronger together"

The Queen: ice cold. so dramatic "fetch me my eldest son" :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
Joachim: cold. checked himself out of the relationship and family and a pushover by Alexandra .
Alexandra: cold and calculating. degrades Joachim and tells a worker to "shoo"
A scene with Mary
"they are boys, no backbone the two of them, they need strong women, so if you want the job.." "I just want Frederik" "I was at that stage once"..cue dramatic music lol:ROFLMAO:

Mary: fun , determined, a little ditsy
Frederik: a bit dull. i saw no passion in this actor. just goes along with mommy's orders and the private secretary . but in love with Mary
John: So cold towards his daughter..

I might write a summary of the highlights later on lol

I certainly agree that Margrethe and Alexandra were portrayed as ice cold.:ohmy:

Okay, we watched the movie to the end.

And to be perfectly honest: I was bored stiff. :coffee:
It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. If you just ignore that Mary and Frederik are real people, it's even harmless relaxation.
As Mrs Muhler said: You sure don't have to think.

But don't persuade your husbands/boyfriends to watch it with you. That would be an act of cruelty.
I passed the time looking at all the details they got wrong, and they were many!

With parents like the ones portrayed in this film, you don't need enemies!
It's also a movie very much for the Australian market. I don't think it will hit very well outside Australia. In Denmark perhaps out of curiosity, but that'll be it.

The guy playing Frederik perplexed me. He was about is passionate as the fourteenth roof-tile in the third row from the left on our house! And was he supposed to speak with a Danish accent?!?

The movie was simply too shallow and too silly to be damaging to M&F, except for those who are so naive, the only purpose of their heads is to prevent it from raining down their necks. They may believe this is the "true story", no one else will.

So if you are bored and have already counted all the commas in War and Peace - twice, then this is a good way to pass the time.

Last edited:
How come they sound like Mickey and Minnie Mouse? :ermm:
That's what I said, in a round about way (helium induced voices), but I was called "rude"!
Glad I wasn't the only one to notice!:ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth to watch the whole thing without going over my allotted data usage. I have checked out a few scenes here and there, and it was pretty much what I expected. The dialogue is very hard to understand - between the high-pitched voices and the fast talking, it was a little difficult to follow. Hopefully this will be available on DVD at some point.

Loved your post, Muhler - I needed a good laugh today :lol::flowers:

The telemovie which claimed to tell the 'true story' of the making of Princess Mary has been criticised by Mary's best friend Amber Petty.

Mary's bridesmaid was apparently unimpressed with how the royal love story was portrayed on the fictional show, Mary: The Making of a Princess, which aired on Channel 10 on Sunday evening, and posited a gif on Twitter with the words 'Are you f***ing kidding me?'

The show, watched by 900,000 viewers, recounts the romance between the former real estate agent from Tasmania and the Crown Prince of Denmark.
Read more: Princess Mary's bridesmaid Amber Petty blasts Channel 10's telemovie | Daily Mail Online

I think she is attractive and incredibly stylish, but my basic analysis of the former Mary Donaldson matches your own.

I think the jury is still out on Mary. All I can say for now is that each member of the new generation of "middle-class" royal consorts comes across very differently to me: Daniel is humble; Maxima is spontaneous; Letizia is impassive; and Mary, well, let's say her demeanor is more like that of someone who was born into royalty than her husband's, who descends from the oldest royal house in Europe. Somehow she doesn't strike me as a genuine person, but it may be a personal prejudice only.
I just saw these quotes, and so glad I did. I thought for the longest time that I was the only one that had these thoughts on CP Mary. There is just something about her that doesn't ring true.

Back
Top Bottom