"Mary: The Making of a Princess" (2015) - Network Ten Australia Telemovie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Ugh. That would be in very poor taste. Private things should remain private.:sad:

Why is the DM using the word "monarch" in the title? Frederik is not the king yet.

:previous: The same reason that they call them 'Prince and Princess' – they're not exactly notorious for their reliability or attention for detail over at Daily Mail :lol:

This sounds like such a B movie – just like that film they're trying to make here in Denmark about Frederik :nonono:

"Mary: The Making of a Princess" is still going ahead - in case you thought it had died a quiet death.

A ninety minute TV drama, still in pre-production, but with the writer, director, producers and executive producers all named - and one of twelve cinema and TV productions detailed in a recent press-release from "Screen Australia".

Last edited:
Today's Sydney newspaper, "The Telegraph", has a large photo of the two young leads who will portray Mary and Frederik - and an interview from them on how they are preparing for their roles.

P.S. There seems to be very active PR promoting this production - reports about this young acting couple are now appearing in "The Sydney Morning Herald", "Sky News" and "Daily Mail/Mail Online" - and probably more to follow.

Last edited:
Well I can tell you you are wrong about Mary those ladies in waiting are her privet friends. they do not work whith her anymore one is working in the Mary fond full time and one have been asked to work for Maersk. but they see eachother privet .
They are not suposed to be seen have you not ntised there are alwaye one whith all the royals and you do notse them smile aljo I have seen Marys lady in waiting laugh out loud when she was on duty .

Thanks, Sun Lion. :) We'll see how it will turn out.

Oh, yes. Australian series are regularly shown on the commercial channels and Australian children's dramas are common and have been so for years. There is one about Anzac nurses on one of the public service channels being shown these weeks.
Shows and films are few and far between though.

But those of us who see Discovery are of course familiar with Les Hiddins and Steve Irwin.

Australian children/teen series are pretty good. I remember watching Blue Water High, Dance Academy, and Conspiracy 365 (the latter more of a miniseries actually). I didn't like H20: Just Add Water though, even though some of its former "stars" are now big on American TV in shows like The Vampire Diaries/ The Originals and, more recently, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I am enjoying the Danish citizens viewpoints and am glad for you. Fred love her, she love him, children happy....what life is all about.
Exactly, she is everything they expect of their Crown Princess.

"Mary: The Making of a Princess" is still going ahead - in case you thought it had died a quiet death.

A ninety minute TV drama, still in pre-production, but with the writer, director, producers and executive producers all named - and one of twelve cinema and TV productions detailed in a recent press-release from "Screen Australia".
:lol:No chance of it expiring quietly. The Daily Mail has decided to AGAIN ;)show the Australian news clip showing the CPs at the Australian War Memorial and then it moves on the Starmakers segment. I expect it to be featured AGAIN in the near future courtesy of the DM.

Still in the pre-production stage, but with a release date of December this year - at least here in Oz.

I think they will try to broadcast it before the schools break-up for the summer holidays about the third week of December, and the ratings season is over.

I get the impression that Christmas viewing is a big deal in the Northern Hemisphere with special episodes for beloved programs.

Here in the Southern Hemisphere no-one is indoors to watch any telly, even on Christmas Day, so every channel is pretty dire until February when school goes back and everyone is home from holidays.

A Channel Ten report just said this, "Mary: The Making of a Princess" and another biopic, about an Australian racing-driver, are it's only two dramas for the rest of this year, so I'm guessing it will be shown before the big break, barring any setbacks.

(I'm wondering if they'll do any location shooting at the actual "Slip Inn".)

Cameras are set to roll in five days time - what will be Monday 20th July here in Oz.

Cameras are set to roll in five days time - what will be Monday 20th July here in Oz.

"Daily Mail/Mail Online" has a couple of reports - with photos - of the filming in Sydney of "Mary: The Making of a Princess" which is now underway here.

("Mary" going on a jog, "Frederik" and "Mary" having fun at the beach.)

We're having sunny days with lots of blue skies and bright sunlight, but cold air temperature here.

World-famous Danish chef Rene Redzepi of "Noma" has most of page three in today's newspaper telling us it was 17 degrees in Denmark yesterday, with 50mm of rain - for summer!

We've made 18-19 degrees here - for winter!

(But we feel cold! Sook, sook. :lol:)

Rene is closing Noma and bringing all his staff, and their families, out next January through to March to set up a temporary restaurant in the new part of Sydney that is being built alongside the CBD - Barangaroo. (Getting a seat will be by ballot.)

I saw that he accompanied CP Mary and CP Frederik to New York a few years ago - and you know, Mary is due back downunder isn't she? - so fingers crossed.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks, Sun Lion. :)

I saw an article the other day in Daily Mail about the filming. They showed the actors, who were freezing their butts off, running playfully along the beach, playfighting, cuddling and kissing. - Wonder if they include two PET officers in these scenes as well? Because according to Frederik they accompanied M&F on their beach strolls as well... :cool::wub::heart::wub::cool:
- Oh the romance...:lol:

ADDED. here is a Daily Mail article about the filming: Crown Princess Mary movie's Emma Hamilton films scenes on Bondi Beach in Sydney | Daily Mail Online

Temperatures sure is a relative thing! The crew are wearing full winter clothing including knitted caps! :blink:
In DK in temperatures of 17-18 degrees C (around 62 F), we wear T-shirts and perhaps a west or at worst an open summer jacket.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks, Sun Lion. :)

I saw an article the other day in Daily Mail about the filming. They showed the actors, who were freezing their butts off, running playfully along the beach, playfighting, cuddling and kissing. - Wonder if they include two PET officers in these scenes as well? Because according to Frederik they accompanied M&F on their beach strolls as well... :cool::wub::heart::wub::cool:
- Oh the romance...:lol:

ADDED. here is a Daily Mail article about the filming: Crown Princess Mary movie's Emma Hamilton films scenes on Bondi Beach in Sydney | Daily Mail Online

Temperatures sure is a relative thing! The crew are wearing full winter clothing including knitted caps! :blink:
In DK in temperatures of 17-18 degrees C (around 62 F), we wear T-shirts and perhaps a west or at worst an open summer jacket.

PET Officers - Maybe the film budget doesn't run to that Muhler. :lol:

Temperatures being relative - Chilled air from the south moving over us at the moment Muhler - I had no sleeves on - on Saturday - and got sunburnt!

If it isn't hot, we feel we're being cheated and are suffering! :lol:

Last edited:
PET Officers - Maybe the film budget doesn't run to that Muhler. :lol:

Temperatures being relative - Chilled air from the south moving over us at the moment Muhler - I had no sleeves on - on Saturday - and got sunburnt!

If it isn't hot, we feel we're being cheated and are suffering! :lol:
Good effort on getting sunburnt! It's been so cold in Adelaide!

I am going to cringe with this telemovie. It sounds really bad!

To our Danish friends - let us apologise in advance!

The actress playing "Mary", Emma Hamilton, got a nice mention in one today's newspapers.

"The Australian" - our national, serious paper - is carrying an almost full-page review of a new Oz movie by the well-respected, and loved, movie man David Stratton.

Writing that "Last Cab to Darwin", "comes close to being a great Aussie film", David calls Ms Hamilton's performance "charming".

I'm hoping the "Mary: The Making of a Princess" project is also well received, and doesn't dud out.

Do any Aussie TRFs posters recognise the name Shane Briant - well you might if you're my generation, he's been in many, many things over the years.

Well - guess who is playing Prince Henrik in "Mary:The Making of a Princess"? Yes, Shane Briant!

And the guy who is the cinematographer for this also worked on "The Great Gatsby" by Baz Lurhmann - the one with Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan etc.

Also, "Mary" actress Emma Hamilton is posting about the filming on her Twitter if you're interested in following her comments, and photos, about the production.

Actually there is now also an Instagram account for the production - looks like they have been filming outside, (and inside?) the Porter St home CP Mary was living in when she met CP Frederik. (hashtagmarymakingofaprincess)

Last edited:
I actually hate these "made-up" love stories. They are usually 80% fact but those 20% inventive [what might have happened and maybe conversations] are the items that are slanted to give a certain impression of the couple. They are usually just the author's mental image of the couple. If writer likes couple, lovely story. If the opposite if true, they will be made to seem self-centered, nasty and manipulating. The author doesn't know the inter working of this couple's minds so it will just be his opinion. Might be entertaining to watch but as for 100% fact, not going for it.

I don't know who will be playing Queen Margrethe, or if CP Mary's best friend Amber Petty will be portrayed, but -

Handball is being covered by "Mary: The Making of a Princess" - and although I've seen this mentioned on TRFs over the last couple of years, I didn't expect it to turn up in this production.

The actress named as playing a role in the handball team has a lot of physical activities on her resume - Genevieve Volk - so I'm now expecting some exciting action scenes. :lol:

(Actually, CP Frederik was celebrating the gold medal win by the Danish women's handball team in the Sydney 2000 Olympics - he put up his black Amex card behind the bar at the "Slip Inn" according Justin Tynan who was manager that night - and thus this pub became famous on the other side of the world etc, etc.)

Last edited:
Correction - looks like lovely Angela Punch-McGregor will be portraying Queen Margrethe.

Superb actress who once played Anthony Hopkin's wife - if you've not heard of her.

Check out an old Australian film, "We of the Never, Never" - a true story and the most evocative movie music I've heard.

And well-respected Scottish-born Oz actor Colin Friels is also in the cast - I'm guessing he will be playing CP Mary's father John Donaldson.

Actor and author Shane Briant, who is playing Prince Henrik, has a blog if you want to follow any posts he makes about the production.

(And I think he's got a hard role - Shane is English, lives in Oz, and is playing a Frenchman who has lived in Denmark most of his life - how do you approach that accent.)

English born, Norwegian-speaking actor/author/director Nicholas Hope is playing the role of Per Thornitt of the Danish Royal Court.

Last edited:
More coverage of the filming of "Mary: The Making of a Princess" by the "Daily Mail/Mail Online", with lots of photos of the night of the meeting of the two main characters.

Now, the really big question about this whole production is this - did Mary really take Frederik along to Harry's "Cafe de Wheels" for a pie-floater on the night they met??? :lol:

(That is being show in the movie.)

All the celebrities go/get taken there, when they come to Sydney - but I hadn't heard that about M and F before.

(And it is located on the way to where M was living then, so perhaps they did call in.)

Last edited:
It is already known when will debut the film?

It is already known when will debut the film?

Hi Blog Real - it's scheduled to be broadcast in Australia in December.

I'll be interested to see when they start filming in Denmark - I don't think it will be long from now. I think they will be pretty efficient, and they've been filming around Sydney for three weeks now.

And another nice mention for "Mary" actress Emma Hamilton. Dendy - our art-house cinemas - are calling her super-talented. (Big night for "Last Cab to Darwin" a few hours ago.)

Last edited:
Yes - the often-reported tale of the "chest-rubbing" is in - photos from "Mary: The Making of a Princess" filming this are now on the internet.

Also, the wedding scenes have been done - at the "Langham" hotel in the Rocks area of Sydney.

As the "Slip Inn" has, in recent times, gone all Mexican, another pub has had to be used for the scenes set there.

NSW's Government House was used to film scenes portraying part of the wedding celebrations - a theatre event.

(CP Mary and CP Frederik have been at Government House in real-life of course. Several visits to Oz have included photo sessions inside and out - including with their two oldest children.)

Look out Denmark - cast and crew are heading your way later this month.

Last edited:
Mary's father has a wonderful rich full deep Scottish accent, will be interesting if Colin Friels tries that one.

Im getting the "cheese" factor vibes just seeing the pictures.
How awkward to have your "flirting" on film or categorized lol

It will be cringeworthy, that's for sure!

It may, or may not turn our cringeworthy CrownPrincessJava, but it is getting a tremendous amount of publicity.

Today's "The Daily Telegraph" - which gets 1.2 million readers in NSW each day - has half of page three taken up with a photo of "Mary"/Emma Hamilton and "Frederik"/Ryan O'Kane.

Dressed for the scene of the night they met, the performers look very much the part.

I think Channel 10 will have a hit with this - most Aussies like an upbeat, happy story - and it's a one-off, so a lot of viewers will tune in at least to check it out.

Last edited:
"Mary: The Making of a Princess" appears to be covering CP Mary's previous relationship with Brent Annells.

English-born Oz actor Gary Clementson is playing him in the production.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom