"Mary: The Making of a Princess" (2015) - Network Ten Australia Telemovie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I think Mary is a very disciplined person who holds herself to a high standard re her appearance and her royal duties. I've only been following her for the last couple of years, but from the pictures I've seen, I don't get a snobbish vibe at all. If the Danish monarchy ever goes down, it won't be her fault; she has thrown herself completely into her role.

In pictures I see of her with other royal ladies, she seems to be comfortable and friendly with them, and they with her.

I also think there is a falseness about her, it's as if she trys too hard to be the perfect royal. The first time I noticed it was on a documentary about the Danish royal jewels. When she spoke in English the Aussie accent was completely gone and she spoke with quite a pronounced Danish accent the same as her mother in law. Considering she married at the age of 32 and the programme was made only a few years after her marriage I thought she sounded ridiculous.

Really are we ( you ) ever happy
She's loving and loyal to her husband
She's raising well behaved children
She works hard at her duties
She looks well groomed her hair is never over her face
She can give a great speech
There are no nude photos from her youth
I guess all this isn't good enough for some

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I also think there is a falseness about her, it's as if she trys too hard to be the perfect royal. The first time I noticed it was on a documentary about the Danish royal jewels. When she spoke in English the Aussie accent was completely gone and she spoke with quite a pronounced Danish accent the same as her mother in law. Considering she married at the age of 32 and the programme was made only a few years after her marriage I thought she sounded ridiculous.

Mary must be doing well, if that's an issue.

She's living in Denmark, surrounded by Danes, who when they speak English, speak English with Danish accent.
When she's exposed to Australian English, it's only when she talks to her family on the phone meet the odd Australian or watch the odd Australian show on TV. - So it can hardly be surprising if it influence her accent.

Including of course the way she express herself. Eg. like saying "it's interesting when one experience...", rather than "it's interesting when you experience...". To English speakers that sounds a bit aloof, but in Danish that's the normal way to phrase such a sentence.

MidwestMom, with you on this, to me Mary comes across as warm, friendly and caring with all she meet. She takes her position seriously and is always well presented, just wish some others would do the same. The most important thing is, she has a happy husband and family. She is loved by her husband and children and has a great relationship with her in laws and other royals. She is s one of the most popular in member of the DRF so something must ring true with the Danes.

Last edited:
Call me crazy...but I enjoyed it!

Now don't get me wrong...I have seen the Charles and Diana movies [both versions of the romance and the movie that explained why it went all wrong], both William and Catherine movies and the Charles and Camilla movie. They are all cheesy and play loosey goosey with the facts. So this wasn't that much of a surprise.

That being said, for someone who wasn't around when Mary met and married Frederik, it was nice to see an "interpretation" of how it happened. I think the movie got a couple of things right [i.e. how they met, the struggle to over come the long distance romance, dealing with the press, etc.) and I am sure things they got wrong (i.e.. proposing on the side of the highway, the ambivalence of Joachim and Alexandria (where they ever happy?), the lack of assistance by the Queen, etc.

The movie didn't take itself too seriously.

As someone mentioned, with all the terrible things happening in the world..it was nice to escape into a world where a boy met a girl and fell in love.

Thanks Zonk, great review I enjoyed it also, as did many of the people that watched it on the night, I wasn't sure that I would but of course as you say the movie didn't take it self too seriously and I think if people watch it with that in mind they may enjoy it a little as well.

Well, I think Mary is a very disciplined person who holds herself to a high standard re her appearance and her royal duties. I've only been following her for the last couple of years, but from the pictures I've seen, I don't get a snobbish vibe at all. If the Danish monarchy ever goes down, it won't be her fault; she has thrown herself completely into her role.

Same here. :flowers: Though I expect the feelings of those who think she is are rooted in her exceptional posture, the way she carries her head and the way she does not allow herself to register every fleeting emotion on her face or eyes (though emotions are there, albeit minimally). She does not kow-tow.

None of the above has anything to do with the character. It's all purely a physical effect and subsequent subjective interpretation (based on very little really). As such, to allow oneself to be impacted by all that is superficial imo, and to no real purpose. The animus I have read (on other sites) directed at Mary reminds me of Junior High and the way girls would go after girls judged needing some taking down a peg or two (for whatever reason). :sad:

In pictures I see of her with other royal ladies, she seems to be comfortable and friendly with them, and they with her.

She really is a very nice person. It's very evident. :flowers:

Trying 'too hard' to do things well is not a fault imo. Being serious about one's role is not 'falseness'. Seems genuine to me. :flowers:

I think you misunderstand. One really does take on the accent of those around one. It happens. One blends in. It's only stubborn people (like Henry Kissinger) ;) who make a studied effort never to lose their initial accent.

Mary must be doing well, if that's an issue.

She's living in Denmark, surrounded by Danes, who when they speak English, speak English with Danish accent. When she's exposed to Australian English, it's only when she talks to her family on the phone meet the odd Australian or watch the odd Australian show on TV. - So it can hardly be surprising if it influence her accent.

Including of course the way she express herself. Eg. like saying "it's interesting when one experience...", rather than "it's interesting when you experience...". To English speakers that sounds a bit aloof, but in Danish that's the normal way to phrase such a sentence.

Exactly so, Muhler. :flowers: Mirrors my experience (with other languages).

MidwestMom, with you on this, to me Mary comes across as warm, friendly and caring with all she meet. She takes her position seriously and is always well presented, just wish some others would do the same. The most important thing is, she has a happy husband and family. She is loved by her husband and children and has a great relationship with her in laws and other royals. She is s one of the most popular in member of the DRF so something must ring true with the Danes.

I agree 100%. :flowers: She is someone who has a professional attitude towards her role. Her family is amazing. The Danes have every reason to be proud, and imo she deserves her popularity. Always a pleasure to watch. :flowers:

i have only watched the first minutes of this. it seems entertaining, i may watch the rest. i just doubt how much of it is really what happened and how much research went into this to do it. i somehow can't imagine mary dancing wildly in a club, proposing margaritas to a whole bunch of people she never met before or frederik being smitten from moment 1, telling mary about his 'summer palace' as soon as they met, or joachim disclosing frederik's identity to a stranger.

(funny moment: fred calls mary and mary answers the phone saying 'dad?' - as if she wouldn't have her dad's phone registered on her cell!)

:previous: It's a film. The timeline is usually collapsed for dramatic reasons. No getting around it, especially with a bit of fluff and froth like this. :flowers: It's film short-hand.

Last edited:
Call me crazy...but I enjoyed it!

Now don't get me wrong...I have seen the Charles and Diana movies [both versions of the romance and the movie that explained why it went all wrong], both William and Catherine movies and the Charles and Camilla movie. They are all cheesy and play loosey goosey with the facts. So this wasn't that much of a surprise.

That being said, for someone who wasn't around when Mary met and married Frederik, it was nice to see an "interpretation" of how it happened. I think the movie got a couple of things right [i.e. how they met, the struggle to over come the long distance romance, dealing with the press, etc.) and I am sure things they got wrong (i.e.. proposing on the side of the highway, the ambivalence of Joachim and Alexandria (where they ever happy?), the lack of assistance by the Queen, etc.

The movie didn't take itself too seriously.

As someone mentioned, with all the terrible things happening in the world..it was nice to escape into a world where a boy met a girl and fell in love.

Exactly how I felt about it. If you don't go in expecting a documentary and you want a fun movie to have a glass of wine with- it does the job.

And I liked that there wasn't anything really malicious in it. The portrayal of Margrethe was a little harsh but they didn't make her horrible. The bit about her illustrating Lord of the Rings after asking Mary to see the film was funny. And Henrik was hilarious- A++, would watch again.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

"Mary: The Making of a Princess" (2015) - Network Ten Australia Telemovie

Exactly how I felt about it. If you don't go in expecting a documentary and you want a fun movie to have a glass of wine with- it does the job.

And I liked that there wasn't anything really malicious in it. The portrayal of Margrethe was a little harsh but they didn't make her horrible. The bit about her illustrating Lord of the Rings after asking Mary to see the film was funny. And Henrik was hilarious- A++, would watch again.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

This was also my response to the film. I didn't expect a documentary, and found the film rather enjoyable. Mary came across as someone who doesn't do things halfway and I think that's what makes her a good royal in real life. She embraced her new situation, learned the language and culture of her new home and endeared herself to the Danish people. I don't think her posture or conduct make her a snob at all. I've met her back in 2011 and she came across as someone who is shy rather than aloof. She knows when she has to put on her 'royal' face and when to tone it down. Her interactions with children are always genuine. That may not be important to some, but to me that speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I watched it up until Mary moved to Denmark, the only thing I didn't like was the actor they chose for Fredrik. I am a more forgiving viewer because I am very interested in the relationship of Mary/Fredrik and Mette Marit/Haakon so anything I can get I am happy.

Letizia, Mary, Mathilde and Maxima used to be all crown princesses of similar age, so it is not surprising that they should bond easily. Then, however, Maxima became queen in 2013, followed by Mathilde and Letizia becoming queens in 2014, while Mary is still a crown princess. I agree with you that in all pictures and images where Mary is shown with those other aforementioned royal ladies, they seem to be quite close and friendly with one another, but I can't help thinking it must be awkward for Mary to have to curtsy to her "girlfriends" and to be given lower precedence (e.g. in seating etc.) in events such as weddings or state dinners. What do you guys think ?

Last edited:
. I agree with you that in all pictures and images where Mary is shown with those other aforementioned royal ladies, they seem to be quite close and friendly with one another, but I can't help thinking it must be awkward for Mary to have to curtsy to her "girlfriends" and to be given lower precedence (e.g. in seating etc.) in events such as weddings or state dinners. What do you guys think ?

Not really, no. She knows the game and her place and does it, I'm sure, automatically and without having any childish, petty thoughts about anything....;) And she is not the only Crown Princess or Princess who has to do it as part of the "game".

Not really, no. She knows the game and her place and does it, I'm sure, automatically and without having any childish, petty thoughts about anything....;) And she is not the only Crown Princess or Princess who has to do it as part of the "game".

She is not the only princess of age who is not queen, Victoria and Mette-Marit are in the same situation.

If Mary or any other royal never had a problem being curtsied to then she should not have a problem curtseying to royals who outrank her, although I can see there being awkwardness if Mary is Prince Charles' age. Mary did not seem to have a problem curtseying to Willem-Alexander and Maxima when they visited Denmark last year. She also seems to have a comfortable relationship with Queen Mathilde.

She is not the only princess of age who is not queen, Victoria and Mette-Marit are in the same situation.

Victoria is actually about five to six years younger than Mary/Letizia/Maxima. Mette-Marit, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be as close to other non-Scandinavian royals as Mary is and she also strikes me as a naturally humble person (maybe due to her background), quite unlike Mary.

If Mary or any other royal never had a problem being curtsied to then she should not have a problem curtseying to royals who outrank her, although I can see there being awkwardness if Mary is Prince Charles' age. Mary did not seem to have a problem curtseying to Willem-Alexander and Maxima when they visited Denmark last year. She also seems to have a comfortable relationship with Queen Mathilde.

Curtsying is just one aspect of it. What I meant is that Mary was in a situation where she was relatively close to other princesses of her age and, in the space of one or two years, many of those girlfriends of hers all of sudden outrank her as queen consorts. Again, that must be umcomfortable for her, at least sometimes.

Last edited:
Curtsying is just one aspect of it. What I meant is that Mary was in a situation were she was relatively close to other princesses of her age and, in the space of one or two years, many of those girlfriends of hers all of sudden outrank her as queen consorts. Again, that must be umcomfortable for her, at least sometimes.

Agree.

It's part of the show.

And after the curtsy I have noticed Queen Maxima, King Felipe, King Willem-Alexander, Queen Mathilde giving Mary a warm hug. (Those not mentioned I simply haven't noticed).

And behind closed doors I'm pretty certain they are simply friends on equal footing as they used to be.

Letizia, Mary, Mathilde and Maxima used to be all crown princesses of similar age, so it is not surprising that they should bond easily. Then, however, Maxima became queen in 2013, followed by Mathilde and Letizia becoming queens in 2014, while Mary is still a crown princess. I agree with you that in all pictures and images where Mary is shown with those other aforementioned royal ladies, they seem to be quite close and friendly with one another, but I can't help thinking it must be awkward for Mary to have to curtsy to her "girlfriends" and to be given lower precedence (e.g. in seating etc.) in events such as weddings or state dinners. What do you guys think ?

I don't think that it would matter to Mary one little bit, we can of course read into something what we want. If it was to make a difference to anyone it would be Victoria after all she has been a princess all her life and then all of a sudden she has now to curtsy her new "girlfriends" that have only been around for a few years.
All in all what does it really matter they are friends and when they get together behind closed doors they probably laugh at it all.

I agree. :flowers: It's part of 'the game'. I can't imagine Mary feeling 'awkward' about it. She's in such good shape she can execute those dips with finesse. ;)

I don't think that it would matter to Mary one little bit, we can of course read into something what we want. If it was to make a difference to anyone it would be Victoria after all she has been a princess all her life and then all of a sudden she has now to curtsy her new "girlfriends" that have only been around for a few years.
All in all what does it really matter they are friends and when they get together behind closed doors they probably laugh at it all.

I see potential for modern women to have a completely different and less-competitive response.

Were one of my friends to get the promotion she had worked toward all of her life I'd be thrilled for her and crowing in every way possible to celebrate the elevation. That would include a curtsy if that were the done thing. I'd be so happy to make that small gesture to acknowledge all her hard work.

Just because we here on the forums tend to want to rank and compare and micro-analyze every outfit, use of jewels, hairstyle, appearance, choice of makeup, etc. does not mean that the royal ladies are as critical as we are.

I just don't buy that they are all that concerned with the same stuff we are. And I think more than several of them are modern, inclusive women that do lean in.

I look at it quite differently. I think right now Mary has the best of all worlds. She doesn't have the responsibility of being a queen and what that requires but still has all the perks of a royal. She looks like she enjoys her position with her loving family and handsome husband. This small family seem very loving and close to each other and seems happy to always be together. So to curtsy to another [no matter who] on the odd occasion that it is required by custom, is no big deal. All part of the old 'showing of respect' which is done mostly for the benefit of the public. They expect it.. Mary could probably care less. If she didn't curtsy to all, the papers would have a field day. So she complies with a smile and probably laughs with others in private. Doesn't change who she is, just keeping up her part of the show which we seem to insist upon. I remember a few years ago when King W-A stated that at times all this bowing and curtsying among family and friends got a bit embarrassing. So not all royals think they should be greeted this way anymore. It is the custom and the public that require.

Unlike her wedding day, today Mary has her own family and, unlike her friends, knows that for her husband to become King, his mother must die. Having suffered the loss of a loved parent, I don't believe she wishes the pain of "The Queen is Dead - Long Live the King" on Fred or the rest of her family just so she doesn't have to perform the odd curtsey!

The Mary movie is back on YouTube and available for free viewing. Before, you had to go to some sort of special subscription service to get it. The quality isn't the best, faces are frequently cut out, and some of the dialogue is so fast you can't catch all the words. But if you really want to see it, here's your chance. My opinion: you may lose a few brain cells, but it's a fun way to spend some time. Just type ''Mary Making of a Princess 2015 - full movie'' into the search bar. Enjoy! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom