The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-03-2014, 04:15 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 36,902
"Mary, Queen of Scots" (2013) - Historical Film

Mary Queen of Scots (2013)

I hadn't heard about this Swiss project.

Mary Queen of Scots (2013 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Mary Queen of Scots (2013) - IMDb
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Leitrim, Ireland
Posts: 634
Reviews haven't been great. However, that didn't stop me purchasing it a week ago. ! I'm saving it to watch over Christmas (along with a few other films).

I bought it because a) it's about Mary and b) it features Anuerin Barnard as Darnley. I like him as an actor. I especially liked him as Richard (Duke of Gloucester / Richard III in "The White Queen".

Mary Queen of Scots [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Camille Rutherford, Sean Biggerstaff, Aneurin Barnard, Thomas Imbach: DVD & Blu-ray
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2014, 01:55 PM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
Reviews haven't been great. However, that didn't stop me purchasing it a week ago. ! I'm saving it to watch over Christmas (along with a few other films).

I bought it because a) it's about Mary and b) it features Anuerin Barnard as Darnley. I like him as an actor. I especially liked him as Richard (Duke of Gloucester / Richard III in "The White Queen".

Mary Queen of Scots [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Camille Rutherford, Sean Biggerstaff, Aneurin Barnard, Thomas Imbach: DVD & Blu-ray
Let us know about your impressions after you watch it, Breffney, if you don't mind

I find Mary historical character and life very attractive (and, just like you, I loved Aneurin Barnand at TWQ), so I'm planning purchasing the movie as well for Christmas

I'm going to need new dosis of historical drama for the next times...
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Leitrim, Ireland
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Let us know about your impressions after you watch it, Breffney, if you don't mind

I find Mary historical character and life very attractive (and, just like you, I loved Aneurin Barnand at TWQ), so I'm planning purchasing the movie as well for Christmas

I'm going to need new dosis of historical drama for the next times...
Will definately let you know my impressions, An Ard Ri. In fact, I don't think that I can wait now until Christmas to view it. !!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Leitrim, Ireland
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
Will definately let you know my impressions, An Ard Ri. In fact, I don't think that I can wait now until Christmas to view it. !!
I didn't wait. !! Have just watched it. ! I'm glad that I watched it but it didn't engage me as much as I hoped it would.

A good bit of the dialogue is in French with English subtitles. Of course, this makes sense as Mary grew up, for the most part, in France. The French speaking occurs when Mary is in France, when she is with her ladies' maids and in her frequent thoughts as she composes numerous letters to her cousin, Elizabeth.

If I didn't have a basic knowledge of her story before watching the film I think that I would have been a bit lost as some events moved at a rapid pace without much explanation as to what had happened.

The actress who played Mary, Camille Rutherford, was wonderful. Anuerin Barnard's screen time was relatively short.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 3,718
I'm not a fan of Mary as a historical figure; a woman who makes that many mistakes doesn't get my sympathy. I am a fan of Aneurin because of the White Queen and I don't like that he has to play Darnley, but he did do a good job playing Richard who is another hated and maligned historical figure. I hope the actress didn't speak with a Scottish accent, that's what they did in Elizabeth TGA and it made me want to punch the screen.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Leitrim, Ireland
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm not a fan of Mary as a historical figure; a woman who makes that many mistakes doesn't get my sympathy. I am a fan of Aneurin because of the White Queen and I don't like that he has to play Darnley, but he did do a good job playing Richard who is another hated and maligned historical figure. I hope the actress didn't speak with a Scottish accent, that's what they did in Elizabeth TGA and it made me want to punch the screen.
No, Camille didn't speak with a Scottish accent. I believe that she is French but that one of her parents is English. ??
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mary, Queen of Scots (1542-1587) Marengo British Royal History 354 12-16-2022 05:18 AM
Historical Royal Affairs and Mistresses Monalisa Royalty Past, Present, and Future 170 02-08-2021 02:42 PM
"Mary, Queen of Scots" (2018) - Film on Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I Lenora The Electronic Domain 60 04-08-2019 04:26 AM
"Diana" (2013) - Film about Diana, Princess of Wales and Hasnat Khan Mermaid1962 The Electronic Domain 121 11-01-2013 10:54 PM




Popular Tags
abdullah ii africa albert prince consort all tags arcadie arcadie claret austria british british royal family caribbean caroline charles iii claret current events danish royal family death denmark duarte pio edward vii emperor naruhito empress masako espana garsenda genealogy general news grace kelly grimaldi hamdan bin ahmed harry history identifying india introduction jordan royal family king king charles king philippe king willem-alexander leopold ier louis mountbatten monaco monarchy mountbatten need help official visit order of precedence portugal prince albert monaco princess of orange queen queen alexandra queen camilla queen elizabeth queen ena of spain queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria republics restoration royal initials silk spain spanish history spanish royal family state visit tiaras visit william wine glass woven


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises