"Marie-Antoinette" the movie (2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morhange

Courtier
City
Springfield
Country
United States
Didn't see a thread for this. Sony Pictures is releasing a movie based on the life of Arcduchess Maria Antonia of Austria, known widely as Marie-Antoinette, the tragic Queen of France. It's being directed by Sofia Coppola and stars Kirsten Dunst as the title role. It's being released Oct. 20, I think, in the US, and has already been released in France, according to Wikipedia.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422720/
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/marieantoinette/

Anyone else going to see it? Aside from the rock soundtrack that it apparently has, it looks REALLY good, and the costumes and sets are so beautiful. I am concerned about the actual content, and apparently it's not exactly striving for historical accuracy, and the actors all use their own accents, which is probably going to really bother me, but I think I'd pay to see this just to look at the costumes and sets.:wub:

I will definitely go out to see it. There aren't too many historical/regency movies that actually make it to the big screen especially in the U.S. Yes, I would go just for the custumes, storyline, etc. But if all else fails, something to complain about.:ROFLMAO:

I'll definitely see it. Not sure if the rock soundtrack is used in the actual movie, or just part of the trailers. But, it looks like it will be an enjoyable film. :flowers:

Im really looking forward to seeing it , has any one seen "kirsten dust" on the cover of American Vogue ???? she is dressed up as Marie Antonia fab cover

i think you mean dunst and it is a great cover. the movie should be fabulous for the sets and costumes alone.

bbb said:
i think you mean dunst and it is a great cover. the movie should be fabulous for the sets and costumes alone.

sorry,:) your right I did mean dunst !

I'll be seeing it for sure. I love the story of Marie Antoinette and I do pity her for all the terrible things said about her. I cannot believe people could/can be so vicious.

Hi Morhange!

Knowing Sofia's work, the music you hear in the trailer will be in the movie. The soundtrack listing for Marie Antoinette is available, which includes various tracks from New Order (Ceremony is the name of the lead song in the movie trailer), The Cure, Aphex Twins, Gang of Four (my favorite band), and Kevin Shields remixes.

Historical accuracy? It has been said Marie Antoinette is based Antonia Fraser's book. How true this may be, I do not know. Yet at the same time, rumors abound that Ms. Coppola has adamently stated that her movie is not a historical film. Rather it's an interpretation of Marie Antoinette's life.

The trailer for this film has caught my attention, and I am willing to pay $10.00 to see it at the Arclight theatre:lol: . Nonetheless, one thing does irritate me about the trailer, in which, the narrator says:

"She was sold into marriage. Forced into royalty!"

She was? She was forced into being a royal? I thought she was born into it? That's all she knew, right? Was she sold into marriage? My thoughts would be no. Am I wrong?

Within that time, place, and situtation that is how things worked, correct? It irritates me to no end, when people add their 21st century beliefs and apply them to another era. The context, time, place and situation where completely different during Marie Antoinette's time.

I'll see this movie and I will keep an open mind. I'll try too at least.
:)

I agree with you. When I watch a historical movie based on real events and listen to the director's commentary, I ALWAYS hear the director say that they didn't know how modern audiences would respond to certain ideas, so they altered them. I don't get that, and I hate when directors change historical facts into their own interpretations to please the average filmgoing audiences. They never think about historians and people like us who read about these families and would find it completely out of line if .

Honestly, I'm surprised they're actually stating how young she married :rolleyes: Then again, Kirsten is probably going to be playing her at age 14 too, so most people would think she's in her twenties.

Hi!
Well, she was born into royalty, so that (to me) does not classify as "forced into royalty". "She was sold into marriage"....that depends on how you view the fact that she was used as the tool to bring about peace between Austria and France, two contries that were major enemies... Now, from what I remember, back in those days, the bride was handed over with a dowry. The groom and family of the groom didn't pay anything, am I right? So, how did Austria sell Marie-Antoinette? They didn't get any money for her, only a peace treaty....would that be classified as selling...? Yeah, that part of the trailer irritates me too.

Did anyone see the KPBS special on Marie-Antoinette? It was great, but I missed the ending! I'd suggest you watch it before or after you see the film...it's pretty interesting! Here's the KPBS site where you can order it...

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=2450417

Last edited:
GlitteringTiaras said:
Hi Morhange!

Knowing Sofia's work, the music you hear in the trailer will be in the movie. The soundtrack listing for Marie Antoinette is available, which includes various tracks from New Order (Ceremony is the name of the lead song in the movie trailer), The Cure, Aphex Twins, Gang of Four (my favorite band), and Kevin Shields remixes.

Historical accuracy? It has been said Marie Antoinette is based Antonia Fraser's book. How true this may be, I do not know. Yet at the same time, rumors abound that Ms. Coppola has adamently stated that her movie is not a historical film. Rather it's an interpretation of Marie Antoinette's life.

The trailer for this film has caught my attention, and I am willing to pay $10.00 to see it at the Arclight theatre:lol: . Nonetheless, one thing does irritate me about the trailer, in which, the narrator says:

"She was sold into marriage. Forced into royalty!"

She was? She was forced into being a royal? I thought she was born into it? That's all she knew, right? Was she sold into marriage? My thoughts would be no. Am I wrong?

Within that time, place, and situtation that is how things worked, correct? It irritates me to no end, when people add their 21st century beliefs and apply them to another era. The context, time, place and situation where completely different during Marie Antoinette's time.

I'll see this movie and I will keep an open mind. I'll try too at least.
:)

Thanks for the info on the soundtrack :)

There was one clip in the trailer that makes me think that certain 21st century beliefs will appear in the film - Antionette unclothed, being flirtatious with a feather fan in her boudoir. It's not obscene, but it's also not a image that fits into what is known of her life and personality. It seemed more DuBarry than Antoinette. I haven't seen the film, of course, but that rather jarred in the preview.

I don't about "forced into royalty". That suggests that Antoinette was forced to marry-and, as far as we know, she wasn't. She was reluctant to leave her mother and Austria as any young woman would be, but I've never read anything that suggested she rebelled against the marriage itself. Her sisters had made similar marriages-it was an accepted expectation for her.

i will see this movie , but i think that what sophia coppolas direction is awful about the historical content .. Alot of people have worked hard to prove the misapprehentions about the queen was wrong. Alot of igorant people will see this movie and think this is the truth when its not... I hate that the axel guy is in it ugh!!!!!! I like the fact that it shows that she was kind of this party girl who didn't know what she was suppose to do ... The soundtrack sounds great !!!

I will definetley see that movie. I think it would appeal to both teenagers and Adults

Hollywood.com has a couple of really great clips and the trailor i suggest anyone who wants to see it go there....

Just saw the movie yesterday and I have to agree that certain 21st century mores were captured in the film. The movie was brilliant in the way the director captured how utterly ridiculous the protocol was at that time. Granted that Louis XIV made the protocol so strict it was to controll the aristocracy and keep his enemies close at court. They were less likely to make war and plan against him. But, but the time of his great grandson's reign, Louis XVI, it was utterly out of control.

The film also does a great job at protraying what indolent, lazy and apathetic lives the courtiers lived. They were totally interested in their own pleasures.

One thing I took exception with is the relatively little time that the movie explores Marie Antoinette's later years. There is way to much emphasis on her as a child bride. I think that I understand why Coppola spent a lot of screen time on her youth and I think that it is necessary to set up how her marriage and relationship to Louis was played out. It leads her to become what she did in fact beccome- a lazy spoiled Queen. There are several scenes that could have been cut and I would have liked to see more character development after arrest and imprisonment. Sofia Coppola hints at MA's new found maturity late in the movie. Kirsten Dunst does a great job of portraying the Queen. Jason Schwartzman, who is Louis Auguste, also gives a credible performance. When I have read biograpies and seen pictures of him, this is how I thought he would have been portrayed,. Brilliant piece of casting.
Another thing that jarred was the English accents of all the court and then the seemingly american accents of dunst and Schwartzman.

The clothing, scenery are absolutely breathtaking. It was so wonderful to see Versailles used as well. What a festive eye treat for the viewer of this film. Again, I would recommend it as a vehicle for seing a particular period of time. It captures court life brilliantly.

As for the music, the modern sounds add to the movie. I was pleasantly surprised as I thought it would be modern music used as a theme instead of a backdrop to certain plot devices in the movie.

Last edited:
i thought the movie was quite good...

I am looking forward to seeing the Movie and I think Kirstan Dunst is a great actress.

Good movie in general focused mostly on Marie Antoinette's point of view rather than the realities of the time. Would have like at least one scene of the suffering peasants to contrast the extravagence and excess of Versailles. "Dangerous Liaisons," another great costume drama set around the same time, did a great job of showing the social context of the period.

i loved loved loved the movie the only thing i would add is 1) show more of the love and the mutual working relationship between marie and lous 2) the other boy ..... thats kind of a no brainer and 3) that there was a peorid when she got rid of all her friends because she thought they were too extragenent and not on the same page as her.
i also liked how the movie showed that some of the debt was due to the revolutionary war and the fact they didn't pay back the loans.

This movie was great, especially since it was based on the wonderful sympathetic biography of Marie Antoinette written in 2001 by Antonia Fraiser. I would like for there to have been more shown about the peasent's life as well as the "lost dauphin" being born and also most importantly the family's imprisonment in the tower, the torture done to the young dauphin, and the beheading of Marie Antoinette. The film is just incomplete without her execution.

I saw the movie on Friday when it came out and I was very disappointed. It isn't so much a movie but a bunch of scenes with music in the background. The movie's only saving grace are the splendid costumes.

Most of the reviews have criticised the movie for being superficial and concentrating on appearance and costume.
Whilst it would be interesting to see a film with historical depth, sometimes it's enjoyable to watch a period drama that is light and frothy. After all, we all know what happened to her so I'm glad the film is concentrating on the "fun" side. I'll probably see it, but only for the costumes which I've heard are magnificent.

Little_star said:
Most of the reviews have criticised the movie for being superficial and concentrating on appearance and costume.
Whilst it would be interesting to see a film with historical depth, sometimes it's enjoyable to watch a period drama that is light and frothy. After all, we all know what happened to her so I'm glad the film is concentrating on the "fun" side. I'll probably see it, but only for the costumes which I've heard are magnificent.

The costumes are magnificent. It's eye-candy especially for royal watchers. However, I was expecting at least a little depth. They didn't have to show her death but they could have added in a little more substance than "She's spending so much and partying".

Besides the costumes, I did think using actual paintings of Marie Antoinette in the movie was pretty interesting especially since I studied them in Art History.

This is a woman who was basically thrown into an arranged marriage, and at such a young age. Some of her actions were not the best to act on, but I can understand her position with being so young...and then being Queen of France not to long after. Nobody can really label this woman as anything, because only those that had the honor to know her will know her and label her.

The movie was okay but I think I just enjoyed the costumes and shoes the most. I have a question, maybe even a silly one, but does anyone know today who the living descendents are of this family? Did Marie's daughter ever have children ? Confusing........

soCal girl said:
The costumes are magnificent. It's eye-candy especially for royal watchers. However, I was expecting at least a little depth. They didn't have to show her death but they could have added in a little more substance than "She's spending so much and partying".

Besides the costumes, I did think using actual paintings of Marie Antoinette in the movie was pretty interesting especially since I studied them in Art History.

I'm going to see it tomorrow, but I'll keep your comments in mind about lack of depth. Having heard that from so many different people I'm not expecting too much!
Is the soundtrack as good as the reviews suggest?

BTW, whot's the guy in your avatar? He's very good-looking!

Little_star said:
I'm going to see it tomorrow, but I'll keep your comments in mind about lack of depth. Having heard that from so many different people I'm not expecting too much!
Is the soundtrack as good as the reviews suggest?

BTW, whot's the guy in your avatar? He's very good-looking!

I hope you enjoy the movie! I've heard that the soundtrack is very good but after watching the movie, I don't know if it's worth it to go out and buy it.

Ahhh, my avatar :lol: . It's a Korean actor named Lee Dong Wook.

bgnparisgurl said:
The movie was okay but I think I just enjoyed the costumes and shoes the most. I have a question, maybe even a silly one, but does anyone know today who the living descendents are of this family? Did Marie's daughter ever have children ? Confusing........

There are no direct descendants of Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette (not known anyhow).

The first of four children, Marie-Thérèse-Charlotte de France, La Princesse Royale (Madame Royale), Madame la Duchesse d'Angoulême was the last of her immediate family and died in 1851, ending a life of imposed (sometimes self) exile. She bore no children.

Last edited:
I saw the movie, and it was great. However, historically speaking, this movie was made to show Marie-Antoinette's perspective through her sheltered world. I didn't think Kristin Dunstin could pull it off, but she was pretty convincing. For anyone who loves royalty itself, will enjoy this movie. Oh, and keep a watch for the blue sneakers!

Back
Top Bottom