Margrete den første/Margret the First Movie (2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Margrete den første/Margret the First Movie (2021)

A new Danish movie on the life of Margrethe I ,queen of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden (1353 – 1412) and directed by Charlotte Sieling.
The movie is set for release on September 16th and stars Trine Dyrholm as the queen.

Full Cast and Credits

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9308390/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm

Ah, the movie will focus on one of the most intriguing episodes of QMI's reign, the pretender.

QMI's reigned on behalf of her son, she was never a monarch in her own right.
When he died suddenly, she faced a crisis. She no longer had a mandate to rule.
So surprisingly fast she adopted a new son, Erik of Pommeren = Pomerania. (Who became king after QMI's death.) And just as surprisingly that was accepted!
She had a very secure position and she had a very broad backing in order to pull that one off. A testament to how skilled a politician she was.

Anyway, later on there were rumors of a young man, claiming to be the son of QMI and as such the rightful king of the Nordic Union.
Through her diplomatic channels QMI arranged for him to seized by the Teutonic Order and brought to her.
I doubt very much he would have shouted, unless he was insane.

He was interrogated and exposed as an imposter (he would have confessed to anything, oh yes!) and subsequently burned at the stake - a strong political signal.
I do not believe for a second that QMI was for one moment in doubt as to whether her real son had actually died or not or whether this man might be her son.
IMO he never stood a chance anyway. There were none who were really interested in backing someone unknown. Even if he had been QMI's true son, he would IMO have been burned anyway as a usurper. Too many political interests against him.

But who were behind him? No one just turns up out of the blue, with all the detailed knowledge about QMI's son without someone well informed backing and training him. It has been suggested that it was a group of Norwegian nobles who were against the Kalmar Union, and who hoped, through this man to take control over at least Norway.
No one knows.

Years ago I translated an article by a renowned Danish historian about this subject, I think it might serve as a guide for what is the basis of this movie.
https://app.box.com/s/sqts8lfiyu8oewdpjiei

And an "obituary" at QMI's death:
https://app.box.com/s/4bde2hvaibthe21thbtt

I've always firmly believed that Margrethe and other long forgotten royal historical figures deserved some onscreen time and new light shone on their lives.

I'd imagine there will a few books on the era coming out too just in time for Christmas.

If she was never sovereign in her own right, why is she counted as the first Queen Margrethe?

If she was never sovereign in her own right, why is she counted as the first Queen Margrethe?
It is an honorary title given to her by posterity because of her spectacular role in Scandinavian and European history. Margareta (as us Swedes know her) was a monarch in all but name. She did carry the title of queen as the widow of King Haakon of Norway and Sweden and this was used by the Pope to adress her and by many of her subjects. It's also the title inscribed on her sarcophagus in Roskilde cathedral. Officially she was known as the "Sovereign lady and lord and guardian of the entire kingdom of Denmark/Norway/Sweden" during her lifetime and it was a position that she was guaranteed for life. She didn't become Margrethe I until 1973 when another Margrethe ascended the throne of Denmark.

Outside of Scandinavia the movie is being given the English working title of “Margrete-Queen of the North” which might confuse some.

The queen was undoubtedly the most powerful woman of her era and founder of the Kalmar Union which from 1397 to 1523 saw the 3 kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden and Norway ruled by a single monarch.

The movie has received good reviews.

Apart from being beautifully filmed, the angle of the movie is interesting.
It's not a feminist movie, where the point is that women can do anything, or about a super-woman, or trying to look at QMI with modern eyes and using modern values and trends. - It's much more brutal.

The premise is basically that perhaps the pretender really is QMI's biological son.
So what do you do as Queen of Scandinavia - and mother?
If you acknowledge him as your son - you lose your power. The Kalmar Union will dissolve - and war is likely.
But if you don't and he is your son - then you must sentence your son to die in the flames.
That's what the movie is about. That dilemma.

And with Trine Dyrholm as the leading actress, no one can put a finger on her performance.

- This really sounds promising!

But why look at it from a male or female viewpoint? Would the decision really be any less agonizing if it was his potential father in this situation and not his mother?

It sounds like it is simply a human story in history.

I'm very pleased at the positive reviews and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing it .

I've always had an interest in Margrete I and that era.

But why look at it from a male or female viewpoint? Would the decision really be any less agonizing if it was his potential father in this situation and not his mother?

It sounds like it is simply a human story in history.

In this case, because there really was a pretender while QMI was in power - and ruling over no less than three kingdoms. So it happens to be from a mother's perspective.

Certainly post 1250 or so there were no Danish kings in a similar situation. It was always clear who the heir was.
So this was a unique event.

BTW the records from the three month long investigation of the pretender were destroyed. Making this angle plausible, although IMO improbable.

Because where was the "son" during the years he was thought dead?
Why didn't he step forward before?
Who knew about him/found him?
What is his mindset/plans?
Who is backing him and his claim?
Who knew him as a boy and can they ID him?
Who buried the son?
And lot of other questions.
And on top of that comes the political considerations.
Would it be politically wise to exchange QMI for this man?
The film suggests that it was politically better to kill him, even if he might be the real thing. Or because he was the real thing.

This was in 1402 where even the peasantry had an almost religious view of the written law - because that was the guarantee for their rights in an otherwise pretty unfair world.
So just killing him off without a proper hearing and trial was politically unpalatable let alone unwise.

Outside of Scandinavia the movie is being given the English working title of “Margrete-Queen of the North” which might confuse some.

Oh dear - that makes it sound more like Game of Thrones than a film about a real historical figure!

Has anyone seen this movie? It's on my watchlist on Amazon prime but so far I can only buy but not rent it. I will wait until the rent. I found the trailer quite interesting.

No I haven't seen it and will have a look on Amazon Prime later to see if there's any update on a release.

I saw it during its run in theatres here in the fall. I liked it a lot. Although it's not really a film about Margrethe I's life so much as it is a film about this one specific episode in her life so its title and branding as a biopic is a bit misleading. Trine Dyrholm is wonderful in the lead role.

It came out on Amazon in the United States in mid-December, and I enjoyed it. I thought Trine Dyrholm was great, and so was Søren Malling. (I feel like he is in almost every Scandinavian movie or show I see these days.)

The movie sent me to the history books to see how accurate the depiction was. It sounds like the facts are accurate, although the timeline may be a bit off.

Here in DK it has just been aired on TV, in two or three parts.

I never got around to see it in the cinema.

Anyway first part was shown tonight and... weeellll.

Okay, an enjoyable movie for all the details in regards to clothing, customs, etiquette and so on.
Beautifully filmed.

But it really is a medieval drama for dummies. It's spelled out in font 200. A very simplified topic and it sure has cut some historical corners.
The Germans was the Hanseatic League, not to be confused with Teutonic Order. While the Hanseatic League sometimes co-operated with the Teutonic Order, they just as often didn't.
The pretender was handed over by the Teutonic Order, he wasn't just wandering around in Germany, claiming to be king. Queen Margrete was a skilled diplomat.

And there were some things that annoyed me. A Queen doesn't bribe someone in person, and certainly not in front of a lot of people who could listen in.
In fact she had an entire, very competent, team around her.

And Margrete the peace-lover? Sure, peace is good for business. But more importantly peace is good if you and your foes are facing an even bigger enemy. But make no mistake, Queen Margrete would have no qualms about going to war if that suited her policy. The movie contradicts the peace-lover image by her employing pirates. Something she would not have done in person.

So yes, it's a good drama, and that's how it should be viewed but also very simplified.

- Anyway, even if the pretender had been the real thing, he would have stood no chance.
An entire court full of strong and powerful men, sharks, would look at him and see a weak PTSD sufferer. Who would they have preferred as king? King Erik, i.e. Queen Margrete or this unknown man without influence, experience, connections, reputation or education?
There weren't fools.

However, one detail I really liked was how efficient QMI's intelligence and diplomatic network was. She was well-informed about who was who in other countries. As most medieval courts were. Something that is often overlooked.

I just watched this movie on amazon prime. It's quite entertaining and refreshing and even though a lot of it has been made up, I googled some history about the Kalmarer Union.
What I found ridiculous and what is not true, that Erik's bride looked like 5 years old at the engagement in the movie but was in fact only 12 years younger than him in reality?

I must check to see if its on Amazon Prime here as sometimes there are differences.

Back
Top Bottom