King Constantine of Greece documentaries

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raniaf4

Commoner
City
Thessaloniki
Country
Greece
This is a documentary presented by Selina Scott which was first shown in Octomber 1993.It presents the GRF during their first private vacation in Greece as a family since their exile. We can see the whole family in a more relaxed attitude and the kids 16 years younger which i found exciting since I hadn't seen it before.

My favourite points are those with Queen Anna Maria where we can see for another time how is to be a born real lady and in part 5 we can see the young Pavlos giving one of his shows!!!

YouTube - Once a King - documentary about King Constantine of Greece first shown in October 1993 - part 1 of 5
YouTube - Once a King - documentary about King Constantine of Greece first shown in October 1993 - part 2 of 5
YouTube - Once a King - documentary about King Constantine of Greece first shown in October 1993 - part 3 of 5
YouTube - Once a King - documentary about King Constantine of Greece first shown in October 1993 - part 4 of 5
YouTube - Once a King - documentary about King Constantine of Greece first shown in October 1993 - part 5 of 5

:previous: :lol: That's the greatest commedy ever!!Thanks!!I won't comment on the Father...his actions speak louder than our words ;) I have to say those kids are sooo innocent.Where do they live?Pavlos dancing just like men used to dance in the 50's.Nobody told that "Prince" that things have changed...nobody? :cool:

Iakynthi. Haven't you ever seen these before? The first time they came back to Greece during the John Latsis cruise the older children was just out of their teens. More than 15 years ago.
Rania, thank you for the video. I for one enjoyed it.

Last edited:
That was really interesting to watch, especially with all the older footage like the couple leaving Greece with Alexia and Niklaos's birth. Thanks for posting!

No,I was 12 in 1993 ;) But I definitely enjoyed it now: all those nice royals and their pals,these well-respected priests and that brilliant politician,Mitsotakis,all in one place....What a pleasure!!! :popcorn: :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed on part 3 that Annemarie is the only member of the family who isn't crossing herself. Any reason? I always assumed she had fully converted to Greek Orthodox.

I believe it just happened,doesn't mean anything.

No,I was 12 in 1993 ;) But I definitely enjoyed it now: all those nice royals and their pals,these well-respected priests and that brilliant politician,Mitsotakis,all in one place....What a pleasure!!! :popcorn: :whistling:

Well, we should add the Papa Papandreou and Papandreou fils, they both had a hand in what happened and how things have turned out. Oh let us not forget the other great one, I mean Karamanlis.
The sad thing is that only the King is blamed for everything.
I was a few months older than you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: back then but I remember it well.

Anyway, poor Prince Philipos was pertified when he was told they wanted him to become a monk. Poor baby.

I think it is a little weird that they never spoke in Greek to their younger children.

Anyway, poor Prince Philipos was pertified when he was told they wanted him to become a monk. Poor baby.

He was such a cute little boy. I loved his mom translating for him: "They want you to stay here and become a monk...but I told them no because you're mine."

Odette,I disagree about Papandreou and Karamanlis,but let's not go there ;) I respect the fact that you were 12 and a half and not only 12,like me :flowers: About the language:I have the impression that Constantine and Anna-Maria were more "strict" in that field with their older children and more relaxed with the younger.Perhaps because they wanted to make sure that Pavlos would make a suitable "candidate" for the Greek throne (if the restoration would ever happen).Just a thought :rolleyes:

"Constantine: A King's Story" 2005

For the past 36 years, King Constantine of Greece has been a King in name only. In l967 every monarch's nightmare came true – ousted in a midnight military coup he lost his throne, ending over 100 years of Greek monarchy.

Since then he has lived in exile in search of a role. From his base in London, he travels the world rubbing shoulders with the great and good – and working for "his people". His eldest son, Crown Prince Pavlos married the daughter of one of the world's richest men in a wedding that eclipsed that of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

In 2003, King Constantine won his bitter battles with successive Greek governments when the European Court of Human Rights awarded him compensation for the homes and property which had been confiscated – and he finally returned to his country.

It was a timely homecoming for a man who won a gold medal for Greece at the Rome Olympics – and, as a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), was instrumental in winning the 2004 Games for Athens.

This intimate portrait is based on unprecedented access as the King and his family return to Greece en masse for the first time in nearly forty years.

King Constantine talks as never before about the events that led to his exile and his fight for justice and recognition. It includes exclusive footage inside the family home in Hampstead, behind the scenes at the Royal events and "off-duty" moments.This is the King's story.

The story of a man who lost his throne but refused to give up.

TVF International 2005

- Part 01...
- Part 02...
- Part 03...
- Part 04...
- Part 05...

Last edited:
Is this a TV program or book, and when was it shown/ on sale?
2005 is a long time ago.

Hello...
this is a TV documentary from TVF International..
It was first shown in 2005...
this documentary was not on for sale...
I have the DVD from TVF...

Kind regards

hello

can one of you tell me in which part of the documentary about King Constantine the pics about the wedding of Pavlos were taken???

I just have a slow connection and it will be very helpful to go to the right part straightaway

thanks

gilles

It's at the beginning of the 1 part (royal wedding).

I want to see that documentation again it´s called "Once a King" can anybody help me with that?!

This is a documentary presented by Selina Scott which was first shown in October 1993 by "SKY" channel.

This documentary is complete in one file and includes the 10 minutes missing in other relevant uploads on Youtube!

It presents the Greek Royal Family during their first private vacation in Greece as a family since their exile.

The Abolition of Monarchy - Constantine: A King's Story.

Back
Top Bottom