"Hyde Park on Hudson" (2012) - Film about George VI and President Roosevelt

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
"Hyde Park on Hudson"
A 2012 British biographical comedy-drama film directed by Roger Michell.

Plot
In June 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth made a visit to Hyde Park, New York, the country estate of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's mother. No British monarch had ever visited the United States before, and both the King and FDR hoped to bolster American support for the United Kingdom on the eve of World War II, which broke out less than three months later.

Cast
Bill Murray as Franklin D. Roosevelt
Laura Linney as Margaret Suckley
Samuel West as King George VI
Olivia Colman as Queen Elizabeth
Elizabeth Marvel as Marguerite LeHan
Olivia Williams as Eleanor Roosevelt
Elizabeth Wilson as Sara Delano
Martin McDougall as Thomas Gardiner Corcoran
Andrew Havill as James Cameron

Royal Library [book] thread
Hot Dogs and Cocktails - When FDR met King George VI at Hyde Park on Hudson

Huffington Post review
The British have long surpassed the U.S. at making movies and TV series that act as living history lessons about their country's past, its important figures and its pivotal moments. So in a way, it makes sense that the film Hyde Park On Hudson was directed and produced by Brits, despite the fact that it's about one of America's most celebrated presidents, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, his intimate relationship with his 5th cousin Daisy and the King and Queen of England's historic visit to FDR's mother's house in upstate New York in 1939, a visit that forged the "special relationship" between America and Britain and marked America's entrance into World War II.

The film largely revolves around the weekend visit by the King and Queen of England to Hyde Park, the first time a reigning British monarch had visited the U.S., in June of 1939 when England was about to go to war with Germany and was desperate for American support. That king happened to be King George VI,, or Bertie, the stuttering king who was the subject of The King's Speech, which won the 2011 Best Picture Oscar. Samuel West plays Bertie with Olivia Colman playing Queen Elizabeth, and their sizable roles make Hyde Park On Hudson more of an ensemble piece as the two of them struggle to make sense of their hosts and the perceived meaning of gestures like having the royals eat hot dogs at an informal picnic. The film's decidedly strong cast is rounded out by Olivia Williams as Eleanor Roosevelt, Elizabeth Wilson as FDR's mother, and Elizabeth Marvel as FDR's longtime private secretary Missy, who was rumored to be one of FDR's mistresses.

In addition to having two of the same characters and taking place during the same time period, Hyde Park On Hudson reminded me of The King's Speech in a lot of ways. Both are surprisingly funny, beautifully realized, wonderfully acted films that examine the human side and the intimate relationships of great leaders. Both films are also very much about the importance of appearances, as FDR (aided by the media) hid the effects of his polio from the public while Bertie tried to project strength and confidence in the face of possible annihilation despite his stutter and the fact that his country wanted his brother as king. This theme continues through the perceptions of FDR's unusual relationship with his wife and the affairs it hid, Daisy's ability and sometimes inability to understand the man behind the presidency, and the way the royals' visit affected how they and England were perceived by average Americans, which again came down to those famous picnic wieners.

...I saw this movie twice and both times the audiences laughed hard and seemed thoroughly charmed by this lovingly made slice of dramatized history. It's not a biopic nor is it a dense procedural like Steven Spielberg's Lincoln, but instead showcases the politics of perception and interpersonal relationships, contrasted with quieter, more intimate moments away from the media and others.

Trailer
Hyde Park on Hudson Official Trailer #1 (2012) - Bill Murray Movie HD - YouTube

v Poster
Reproduced for promotional purposes

Attachments

• Hyde Park on Hudson poster.jpg
    Hyde Park on Hudson poster.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,786
The Queen Mum's finest hour: A new film reveals how Queen Elizabeth's charm | Mail Online

The Queen Mum's finest hour: A new film reveals how Queen Elizabeth's charm - and dexterity with a hot dog -
won over the Americans in the build-up to war

Hitler called her ‘the most dangerous woman in Europe’ thanks to her morale-boosting efforts during the Blitz. But an eagerly anticipated new film 'Hyde Park On Hudson', which is being compared to 'The King’s Speech', claims it was a year earlier, on a visit to the United States, that the Queen Mother did the most damage to Germany when her legendary charm helped win American support for the British – and it was all thanks to a hot dog.

In the summer of 1939, with Europe on the brink of war, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth embarked on a politically sensitive tour of Canada and the USA. Canadian support for the ‘mother country’ was never in doubt, but winning over neutral America to support any British war effort was more of a challenge. It would be the first visit by a British monarch to the United States, and President Franklin D Roosevelt pulled out all the stops to ensure it would be a personal as well as a diplomatic success.

The spin doctors of the day suggested Roosevelt should host a private party for the royal couple at Springwood, his family home and birthplace on the banks of the Hudson River in Hyde Park, upstate New York. It’s the events of that weekend that are explored in 'Hyde Park On Hudson', which stars Sam West as George VI, Olivia Colman as Queen Elizabeth and Bill Murray as FDR.

> read more

Bill Murray is one of my favorites. He should have won an Oscar some time ago. Has this movie been released? I am not aware that it has been at the one theater in my town.
I would drive to a larger town to see it. Bill Murray has given me more healing laughter than any other actor. His best include "Groundhog Day", "What About Bob?" and "Lost in Translation". I think he should have won the award for "Lost in Translation."
If this is as good as "The King's Speech" it must be great. But no Oscar nomination! Hollywood seems to spurn Murray. They say he has a difficult personality, probably alienates some people.

Last edited:
Warm Springs (TV 2005

I saw Warm Springs about Roosevelt, there is something very admirable about him and Eleanor so want to see this movie too.

susan alicia- you might also like a (theatrical) movie called "Sunrise at Campobello". It's a story of FDR's struggle against polio, starting at his Campobello (New Brunswick, Canada) summer home where he is stricken, and continuing on to his triumphant return to political life. It stars Ralph Bellamy, and it was released in 1960.

Wasn't Bill Murray nominated for a Golden Globe for this movie this year? I could swear he was.

Anyway...Any news when this is out on Blu Ray/DVD? It looks excellent and I'd love to see it.

That one clip...

*gasp* They'll see us!!

Wave!!

I am!!

ROTFLOL!!!

Back
Top Bottom