"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was a bad idea from the beginning. And when all three of Grace's children turned thumbs down on it, I think it was doomed. :sad:

Curse of the Grimaldi's!

I think doom is a good word to describe the way this projected has gone.

I still think Naomi would have made a better Grace Kelly.

There's not much news on this movie of late,has anyone heard/read anything new or a possible release date?

So there's further issues with the final cut. Much as I agree that the film could turn out to be a traversty, every still I see makes me want to see it.

So there's further issues with the final cut. Much as I agree that the film could turn out to be a traversty, every still I see makes me want to see it.

I have a feeling I might only get to see it on dvd,the omens are not good for this project!

I don't think I'd waste my money to see this at the movies; if I have any interest in watching it, I'll wait for the DVD at the library. And if the library doesn't carry it....oh, well, guess I'll live! ;)

Maybe it will be o.k. It might be an interesting movie. Maybe not accurate but interesting. I might see it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't think I'd waste my money to see this at the movies; if I have any interest in watching it, I'll wait for the DVD at the library. And if the library doesn't carry it....oh, well, guess I'll live! ;)

I know when I first heard the initial vibes I was excited and then came the movie stills which looked fantastic,but it all seemed to fall apart after the movie trailer was released last autumn.

As per IMDb the release date is March 14 :eek:

Grace of Monaco (2014) - IMDb

And when a film's release date is pushed back because of reshooting, you know that doesn't bode well!

It is pushed back again with no date of release - possibly fall 2014.

And when a film's release date is pushed back because of reshooting, you know that doesn't bode well!

If it was a good film with potential it would have been released by now. There was a lot of media attention during the filming and some of the film was shown at Cannes, then nothing. It must be a dud.

Absolutely,the vibes from this project are not good,plus there's virtually no news except bad news on it!

Various entertainment news outlets yesterday carried some news of the film's fate.
Combining what's in Wiki and The Playlist, the upshot is that "Grace of Monaco" is in limbo (or purgatory).

The film has been pulled from the Weinstein Co. release schedule.
To quote The Playlist: "And it gets worse. Apparently, Dahan [the film's French director] has yet to deliver the movie to the studio."
It concludes "the drama here is proving to be arguably more compelling than that of the actual film."

In response to the public crtiticism of the film by the Palais princier in January, Wiki quotes the director as declaiming "I am an artist."
Says it all really. :D

I wonder how much money has been wasted on this project that may never been seen :eek:hmy

I knew the vibes were not good but this is catastrophic!

It's sounding so bad now that I'm almost intrigued to watch it if it's ever released! I'll just sit back with my popcorn and cringe at all the disastrous scenes. :argh:

Last edited:
"Grace of Monaco" (release date unknown)

These contradictory announcements suggest there's a lot going on behind the scenes . I think it's no surprise and slightly distasteful to release the film at the Cannes Film Festival, not just because it's almost at the "back door" of the Grimaldi family who have made known they are upset with the film's account of Grace's life, but it also trades on Grace's associations with Cannes and the French Riviera.

Last edited:
Since it is a festival, the director/producers might be able to release it there even though the distributor won't release it to theatres. It might not be a contradictory announcement but a return shot from the director at the distributors who won't release it. The director disagrees with them and thinks it is a good movie; so it will be up to Cannes to decide with either the director or distributor proven right.

Since it is a festival, the director/producers might be able to release it there even though the distributor won't release it to theatres. It might not be a contradictory announcement but a return shot from the director at the distributors who won't release it. The director disagrees with them and thinks it is a good movie; so it will be up to Cannes to decide with either the director or distributor proven right.

I have a feeling this movie will spend some time in movie purgatory awaiting a dozen or two Hail Mary's :D

I wonder if it will be as bad as Diana. ;) (I haven't seen it but judging by what others have said, it's a waste of money.) On a side note, I have heard that Princess Maria Chiara of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (or Carolina, can't remember which) has got a part in the film. I'm not sure how true this is though, as the blog I read it on looked quite "gossip-y" from memory.

I wonder if it will be as bad as Diana. ;) (I haven't seen it but judging by what others have said, it's a waste of money.) On a side note, I have heard that Princess Maria Chiara of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (or Carolina, can't remember which) has got a part in the film. I'm not sure how true this is though, as the blog I read it on looked quite "gossip-y" from memory.

I haven't seen it either but I'm wondering if its as bad as Madonna's dreadful WE which I did see,now that was bad!

I have a feeling this movie will spend some time in movie purgatory awaiting a dozen or two Hail Mary's :D
i have the feeling the director is joining his oeuvre to the pugatory for a couple of more prayers and that nicole kidman will be in job-hell if the movie won't take off.

her choices have not been the best lately (what and when was her last real big hit at the box offices?!), while offers seem to get scarce as her botox consumption increases.

i saw a trailer of the movie some time ago and it reminded me of a perfume advertisement he had done years ago. only longer .....

Movie Poster (from Wikipedia)

Grace_of_Monaco.png

An interesting choice of an extreme close up of Grace - suggests a personal /emotional drama, and less of the costume & social documentary aspect which I think some of the interviews, stills and the original trailer suggested.

Yes, it looks every bit as dreadful as we feared.

Back
Top Bottom