"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That cast list certainly gives an idea of what sort of plot elements they'll be focusing upon.

Any idea what the story line for these movies will be? Based on any biographies? Fact or fiction?

She was FABULOUS in "Aristocrats". :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with her Breffney,can you jog my memory :D

As Artemisia mentioned she played one of the famous Lennox sisters in "Aristocrats".

She was also wonderful when she was cast as Daphne Du Maurier in "Daphne".

She was such a lovely aristocrat in "Aristocrats" yet was such a snobbish one in Julian Fellowes ill-fated "Titanic" drama series last year.

Last edited:
:previous: I'm struggling with Tim Roth as Rainier. I think the production values of the film should overcome any issues with the casting, those lavish costumes and location shootings should ensure it is easy on the eye,

:previous: I agree with you about Tim Roth (only based on physical looks). The rest of the cast is fine, IMO. Waiting to see the movie.:cool:

:previous: I agree with you about Tim Roth (only based on physical looks). The rest of the cast is fine, IMO. Waiting to see the movie.:cool:

Yes I agree too,he wouldn't have been my choice either,as the movie is scheduled for release sometime in 2014 we have a bit of a wait on our hands!

Monaco royal family says 'Grace of Monaco' film inaccurate, too glamorous
Monaco's royal family has criticized a feature film about the late Princess Grace, saying it presents a glamorized and inaccurate view of her life. Prince Albert and his sisters, Princess Stephanie and Princess Caroline, issued a statement saying the film about their mother — the former Grace Kelly — contained major historical inaccuracies and "purely fictional scenes."

Producers admit the film is fiction and was never intended to tell the true story.
"
The film's producer, Pierre-Ange Le Pogam, told AFP the production was meant to be a work of fiction.
"The palace was aware of the script and made requests for changes. We took most of their remarks into account, but not all," he said.
"The film is not intended to tell the true story of the principality," he added"

Last edited:
Any idea what the story line for these movies will be?
The storyline of 'Grace of Monaco' is very narrowly focussed. It centres on a six-month period in 1962 when Monaco was in a heated tax dispute with France.

Interestingly, Nicole Kidman's Australian representative, Wendy Day, was quoted in yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald as stating "it was not clear if the film was meant to be biographical or interpretive." Hmm...

Interestingly, Nicole Kidman's Australian representative, Wendy Day, was quoted in yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald as stating "it was not clear if the film was meant to be biographical or interpretive." Hmm...

Well since the producer now says the film is a work of fiction and not meant to tell the true story I guess we can lean more towards the "interpretive" than the biographical side of things.

I'm not sure the Windsor's and Grimaldi's are impressed with the movies that's been made about The late Princesses of Wales & Monaco.

I'm not sure the Windsor's and Grimaldi's are impressed with the movies that's been made about The late Princesses of Wales & Monaco.

Haven't heard anything about the Diana one yet,but I don't think we'll see the Princely Family of Monaco at the world premier of the Grace movie ;)

Haven't heard anything about the Diana one yet,but I don't think we'll see the Princely Family of Monaco at the world premier of the Grace movie ;)

I'm talking about the movies that's been made about them over the years. This isn't the first movie made about Princess Grace. There was a movie made years ago on the life of Princess Grace with actress Cheryl Ladd portraying Princess Grace. There have been several movies made about the Princess of Wales too.

I'm just not sure the royals are all that impressed by those past movies.

The only biographical films they would approve of would be those which were written, produced and directed by themselves. But that probably applies to any high-profile family, royal or not, which finds itself the unwelcome subject of a commercial film or docudrama, whether it be allegedly "biographical" or alarmingly "interpretive".

^I think they would also be okay with a movie that was adapted from a book that they approved of/liked.

I know the Queen liked the 'King's Speech', but I can't think of any other royal movies that have gotten the royal thumbs up.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the movies that's been made about them over the years. This isn't the first movie made about Princess Grace. There was a movie made years ago on the life of Princess Grace with actress Cheryl Ladd portraying Princess Grace. There have been several movies made about the Princess of Wales too.

I'm just not sure the royals are all that impressed by those past movies.
I recently viewed the Cheryl Ladd film and noticed the credits acknowledge Princess Grace's cooperation in the realisation of the film(not these exact words). I guess this film wasn't a problem for the Grimaldi family because it ends at the point of Grace's marriage to Rainier and focuses mainly on Grace's career as an actress.

Actually Grace pulled every string possible trying to stop the Cheryl Ladd film but once she figured out she & her remaining Hollywood friends didnt have that power she went along with it in a limited way.

I generally think one should be careful with making films about these big and iconic people unless it's frightenly accurate or made a long, long time after the person has died. Olivier Dahan, the director, did a decent job with La Môme and it was a great biopic. Edith Piaf, however, has never been as "big" as Princess Grace and I think he's moving into a dangerous area with this film. That it's basically a fictional story doesn't make it better at all and I really fear that Grace will be portrayed wrong (that is even though I don't know much about her after she married Prince Rainier). Also, Nicole Kidman is a pretty decent actress, but I just can't picture her as Grace at all.

Piaf was just of one of the greatest singer in the world, but hey :ROFLMAO:
I was first sceptical, but now I´m interested in the result.

Piaf was just of one of the greatest singer in the world, but hey :ROFLMAO:
I was first sceptical, but now I´m interested in the result.

Indeed, one of my own favourite singers, but if you asked people, I think more of them know Grace over Edith Piaf. She was not only an actress, she was an actress gone Princess, it's a fairytale story. Edith Piaf was a badass diva, sure, but Grace Kelly, I think, is still a "bigger" and more famous person.

Back
Top Bottom