"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched the movie last week, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't brilliant either. Diana was definitely worse. It was quite cheesy in some parts, but the rest of it was bearable. I'm not sure if it's historically accurate, but I didn't realise that France wanted Monaco to become part of their country when Grace was Princess. I noted that Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and her sister Princess Maria Chiara both had minor roles in the film, I think they played two little girls during a clip of a visit Grace was making to the public.

It was better than the recent Diana movie now that was a turkey!

You have answered your own question (Is the movie historically accurate?): it is not at al accurate.

I did not ask that question; therefore I haven't answered my own question. I didn't ask any questions. :ermm: I had just said that I wasn't sure if the movie was historically accurate or not.

The title of the thread mentions that the release date in the US is uncertain. Has it now been released over there and have any of our US posters here seen the movie?

It was better than the recent Diana movie now that was a turkey!

Indeed it was! ;) I also thought Grace of Monaco was rather boring, whereas Diana wasn't particularly - it was just plain bad.

I watched the movie over the weekend and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting,the sets/locations and costumes were stunning,but my goodness what a vapid script with the weakest plot being Princess Antoinette who was barely onscreen but heavily villianised,no wonder the Princely Family washed their hands of it all!

I watched it last night, An Ard Ri. I agree with you regarding the sets / locations and costumes. It wasn't great but I have seen worse. Though why it was felt necessary to portray Antoinette trying to overthrow Rainier in 1962 is beyond me. Totally stupid, IMO.

Some of the dialogue was cringe-worthy.

That said, although I had heard Frank Langellas's voice-over a number of times when I watched the early trailers I have to say when I heard it again towards the end of the film I cried and cried.

“For no matter where you are in years to come, they will continue to whisper your name.”

Gosh it is a turkey of a movie saved only by the sumptuous setting and some lovely costumes. I can't understand how some really strong, established actors became associated with the film - didn't they read the script?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I was expecting it to be a turkey, a visual bonanza and nothing more, but I was pleasantly surprised! It is decent enough with decent enough performances. The writing could certainly be improved...Why is it being torn down so badly when real crap makes the top of the charts?

I think this is more about politics than anything else.:ermm:

The project was dealt a death blow when the Princely Family of Monaco came out so strongly against it. They particularly objected to the way Rainier was portrayed as a bully.

I've seen clips...they made me cringe.:ermm:

I saw the movie last night and it really wasn't what I expected. I thought the movie was going to tell Grace's story in a chronicalized manner. You know, starting with Grace's early life as a Hollywood actress, meeting/courtship with Prince Rainier, marriage and later death. There was no real focus on Grace's success as an actress and as the Princess of Monaco.

]

I started to watch it on Lifetime and just couldn't. I will agree with the consensus that the clothes and the set locations were just beautiful.

Based on what everyone has said about the movie, the best movie about Princess Grace is still the movie starring Cheryl Ladd as Grace and Ian McShane as Rainier. It was a cheesy movie of the week but it stands up better than Grace of Monaco.

I started to watch it on Lifetime and just couldn't. I will agree with the consensus that the clothes and the set locations were just beautiful.

Based on what everyone has said about the movie, the best movie about Princess Grace is still the movie starring Cheryl Ladd as Grace and Ian McShane as Rainier. It was a cheesy movie of the week but it stands up better than Grace of Monaco.

Yes, that was a pretty good version.

For some reason it's hard to tell the life stories of Grace and Diana in movies.

To be fair, the Grace movie with Cheryl Ladd did come out before all the tell all books about Grace that have been around for the last 20 to 30 years.

What I had heard too.Does not she got the best criticism for this movie. Perhaps more interested in the big stars for candidates rather than interpretations.

Well... performance... with her botoxed face she could do very little in "acting". That the Screen Actors Guild found this remarkable enough for a nomination, says everything about how serious we have to take this.... Most likely they only wanted a "big name" when they read "And this year's nominees are...."

And there was me thinking that Ms. Kidman would rather forget about this turkey!

It strikes me as odd that this film still gets attention and nominations. The story had, and has, great potential to be told, an actress becoming a Princess is stuff a good movie can easily be made of, but Grace of Monaco is unfortunately a terrible attempt at doing so. At no point do we really understand how a beautiful and successful American could choose such a bullyingly portrayed Prince. The characters are flat and beyond uninteresting, they're either goodness incarnate or the devil personified, the dialogue is mindnumbingly dull and it is all rounded off appropriately with the shrieking voice of Princess Antoinette when she is being told to leave the country.
Even Maria Callas is portrayed as the most boring and flat of people, which seems to fly in the face of everything she was.

It strikes me that one does not need to trash the Principality itself, costume glitches or peoples appereances to find that this film does not meet any kind of standard, and I am not surprised at all that the Princely Family distanced themselves completely from this project when they saw where it was going.

A great story, captured in an absolutely awful film, that should be kept in an archive somewhere, filed next to Diana.

I think Nicole Kidman was a glaring miscast for the part of an early to mid-30 something Princess Grace of Monaco, but hey...SAG in it's all knowing wisdom believed otherwise.

Congrats NK...I think.:ermm:

Not only was Nicole Kidman a miscast, that the Prince was -the whole movie- depicted with a thick black pair of glasses baffled me. I have never seen Prince Rainier with a pair of glasses as a regular feature. This was so annoying that I had problems keeping seated and watch the film out, but soon I woke up because of my own snoring...

"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

This film was on Belgian TV last week.
I must say I found it quite horrible. The characters were unbelievable. And the end was strechted with unnessecary scenes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom