Emperor (2022) - Movie about Charles V

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
The movie 'Emperor' about the life of Emperor Charles Quint. The title role is played by Adrien Brody.

The movie was nearly finished 6 years ago but due to a fraud scandal the production was never released.

Description from IMDb:

Action epic about young Johanna "Of Ghent" (Sophie Cookson), who seeks revenge on the holy Roman Emperor Charles V (Adrian Brody) for the death of her father. It happens in a world of wealth, debauchery, violent retaliations, sex, manipulation, and treason. It's the sixteenth century revisited.

Oh, I would love to see a film about Charles V! We did the Tudor period for A-level (school leaving exams taken at 18), so I feel as if I know every European monarch from that time personally. Not sure that I fancy this one, though ... it doesn't exactly sound like it's going to be focused on historical accuracy!

Adrien spoke briefly about the project at Cannes back in 2015 ...and that was the last we heard of it until now!

Oh, I would love to see a film about Charles V! We did the Tudor period for A-level (school leaving exams taken at 18), so I feel as if I know every European monarch from that time personally. Not sure that I fancy this one, though ... it doesn't exactly sound like it's going to be focused on historical accuracy!

You could watch the Spanish (TVE) series "Carlos Rey y Emperador". It covers Charles' reign from his arrival in Castile up to his abdication and death. It is considered a sequel to "Isabel" and not as good as the former, but I liked it.

Francis I of France, his mother (Louise of Savoy), sister (Margaret of Navarre) and son ( Henry II of France); Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon; Mary I of England; Martin Luther and Frederick III of Saxony; Hernán Cortés; Manuel I and John III of Portugal; Pope Leo X, Pope Adrian VI, and Pope Clement VII; Charles V's wife (Isabel of Portugal), his siblings (Eleanor of France and Portugal, Isabella of Denmark, the future Emperor Ferdinand I, Mary of Hungary, Catherine of Portugal), his aunt (Margaret of Austria), his son (the future King Philip II), and his nephew (the future Emperor Maximilian II) are all featured in the series, along with several contemporary Spanish, French, and English personalities.

Last edited:
"Action epic about young Johanna "Of Ghent" (Sophie Cookson), who seeks revenge on the holy Roman Emperor Charles V (Adrian Brody) for the death of her father. It happens in a world of wealth, debauchery, violent retaliations, sex, manipulation, and treason. It's the sixteenth century revisited."

Is it perhaps about this Johanna, mother of his daughter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johanna_Maria_van_der_Gheynst

Thanks - I'll see if I can find it. We got the first series of Isabel on Sky Arts, but then they seemed to lose interest after that and we never got any more!

Thanks - I'll see if I can find it. We got the first series of Isabel on Sky Arts, but then they seemed to lose interest after that and we never got any more!

BTW, I misspelled "Emperador" in Spanish. I have corrected it now in the original post.

Is it based on Johanna Maria van der Gheynst who was the mother of Margaret of Parma the natural daughter of Charles V and later his Imperial Regent of the Low Countries?

Back
Top Bottom