Elizabeth II's Coronation 1953 - 60th Anniversary Documentaries (2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumutqueen

Imperial Majesty
City
Middlewich
Country
United Kingdom
"The Queen: A Passion for Horses" - BBC Documentary

Queen: Monarch's passion for horses celebrated in new documentary as she spends birthday watching thoroughbreds being trained | Mail Online

A one off documentary to start off the Coronation Celebrations on the BBC.

"The programme screened on Monday evening features commentary by the Queen’s staff, past and present, involved with the training and welfare of her horses and ponies which number around 180 and are kept at various royal residences and stables from Sandringham to Balmoral."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you,An Ard Ri,for sharing this pretty clip from BBC-it looks interesting!
Queen/ back than Princess Elizabeth on her first pony "Peggy" is so cute and adorable, she seems to have a natural talent for riding because it looks so effortless and elegant how she rides in that old video from her childhood! Peggy has a very wild,full mane and looks very good and friendly,great to see such historic video footage.
Does anyone know if this documentary is also visible on BBC outside GB or on video on demand via internet? I would like to watch the full documentary but some films are not so easily available outside of the UK.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to this. It's lovely to see that small clip of the Princess Elizabeth riding her first pony. Lovely her grandfather got her her first pony, as I am sure the Queen has gotten her grandchildren their first ponies.

The Queen's cousin Margaret Rhodes comes across as such a lovely lady.

The doc was an enjoyable watch. I'm very interested in horses and would love to own some horses. I think it takes some serious money to make that happen.

Amazing documentary! I enjoyed every moment!

Lovely documentary and it does show the Queen in her comfort zone - with her horse. I love horses and would love to own one, but it's an expensive I definitely cannot afford!

Lovely to see Anne and Zara included as they have inherited the passion.

I'm reading a history book called "Normans in Scotland," and it describes how horsemanship came into England and Scotland with the Normans. According to this book, the Saxons and Celts were not much interested in horses, especially war horses. The leaders began to bring in exotic Arabian horses which they learned about through the crusades, and to use both these and less finely bred horses in war. This was an essential part of "knighthood"; one had to have a horse to be a knight.

I liked the comment from Anne that although Charles went for polo and she favoured 3 day eventing, their mutual love of horses created a bond.

I liked the comment from Anne that although Charles went for polo and she favoured 3 day eventing, their mutual love of horses created a bond.

Yes I did too,I often forget that Prince Charles was an avid Polo player.

Hey I was too busy to see. But just tell me how does Anne refer to Charles in that interview? Charles/PoW/simply my brother? Just curious..

Very interesting and moving documentary.the relationship between HM and her horses is just AMAZING !

The Coronation 1953 - rebroadcasts in UK and Canada, 2 June

For Canadian viewers CPAC will broadcast the Coronation in its entirety on Sunday June 2nd beginning at 10AM.

The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

Last edited:
BBC Coronation Celebration Season - May/June 2013.

I didn't realise this was a whole "season" of programmes so if someone could merge my passion for horses thread with this one, that would be great. I've already PM'd Warren. :flowers:

Kicking into overdrive to maximise the Coronation coverage we have several channels broadcasting several programmes and even Radio coverage.

On Monday 27th May - we had A Passion for Horses

On Sunday 2nd June - To mark the 60th anniversary of The Queen’s Coronation, BBC Parliament will for the first time broadcast a digitally re-mastered version of the Abbey Coronation Service in full. The broadcast will follow the exact times of the original Coronation, airing from 10:15 to 17:20 on BBC Parliament.

BBC Radio 4 - Choristers Of The Coronation will explore the memories of one-time choristers who sang at the Coronation ceremony 60 years ago.
The programme aired on Saturday and for UK viewers can be found here - BBC Radio 4 - Choristers of the Coronation.

Sunday 2nd June @ 11am on BBC Radio 4 Extra - A Royal Gala Programme Of Radio Variety 1953, a special variety show given in the Concert Hall of the BBC on 27 February 1953 in front of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.

Sunday 2nd June @ 8pm on BBC Radio 4 Extra - Coronation Day Across The World, which was originally broadcast on the evening of Coronation Day, and gave a world-wide view of the celebrations.

BBC1 on Monday 3rd June @ 9pm - The People’s Coronation will see David Dimbleby recalling history by revisiting the 1953 Coronation through the people who took part and who celebrated it across the country.

BBC1 on Tuesday 4th June @ 10am - The Coronation: 60th Anniversary
Service
BBC One - The Coronation: 60th Anniversary Service

BBC Radio 3 - will reflect The Queen’s Coronation anniversary as part of its month-long Celebration Of British Music

Unknown airdate - British Music and The Monarchy, David Starkey will show how the lives of our greatest composers and musicians are inextricably linked to the destinies of so many of our monarchs – and demonstrate how much history can be read from some of the nation’s best-loved works, including Rule Britannia, God Save The Queen, and Land of Hope And Glory. This is the music of ceremony, pageantry, and power - music composed for Coronations and Jubilees, thanksgiving and political expediency.
There is a DVD and Book for the series already available for pre-order.

All information from BBC - Media Centre - BBC unveils a Coronation celebration season

I will hunt around for outside of the UK links. :flowers:

BBC1 & 2 link = http://www.tvpc.com/Channel.php?ChannelID=22232

Last edited:
Queen's coronation 60th anniversary: watch colour highlights of 1953 ceremony:
Video: Queen's coronation 60th anniversary: watch colour highlights of 1953 ceremony - Telegraph

BBC Parliament-
The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II: Sunday, June 2nd 10:10am UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b025t5zb

Video:
How Queen Elizabeth II Coronation footage was re-mastered:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22728776

Video:
Cecil Beaton's Coronation Day photograph recreated:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/0/22704939

Last edited:
CPAC Video:
The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II:
On the 60th anniversary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth ll, CPAC presents the complete, unedited coronation ceremony held in Westminster Abbey on June 2, 1953. Follow along here live (Sunday, June 2 at 10:15 am ET / 7:15 am PT) for a real-time multimedia look at the coronation!-

Event begins on June 2 at 9:00 AM

CPAC Video:
The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II:
On the 60th anniversary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth ll, CPAC presents the complete, unedited coronation ceremony held in Westminster Abbey on June 2, 1953. Follow along here live (Sunday, June 2 at 10:15 am ET / 7:15 am PT) for a real-time multimedia look at the coronation!-

Event begins on June 2 at 9:00 AM

Thank you Dman! I was all set to sit here bemoaning lack of coverage here in the US and along comes this marvelous link! All set and ready for viewing tomorrow morning! :bounce:

So excited about this, will probably have had no sleep but hey ho, feel like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity (for people of my generation, I do appreciate it's a second chance for some)

Where's the bouncing off the walls and ceiling emoticon!! :ROFLMAO:

Dman, you are a true lifesaver!! I also was expecting to go about my day sulking and being downright impossible to be around. Thanks to you, I can be pleasant and charming tomorrow. Thank you, thank you. I am forever grateful. :) :)

I'm watching the Coronation and it's amazing but I do see the need to shorten the length of the ceremony.

Back
Top Bottom