"Diana" (2013) - Film about Diana, Princess of Wales and Hasnat Khan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Poor Naomi really got into the role and went bonkers.
Sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a minute there reading the headlines, I thought Naomi placed a phone call to Diana in the afterworld! :D

Last edited:
No, I think it's Diana, ringing 20 times a day from the great beyond and hanging up.

Good grief. I hope it was a collect call because the roaming charges will be out of this world:lol:

It's out of this world, all right, under the category of celestial charges on Naomi's bill! :D

Everyone should stop reading / taking seriously the daily fail ....

You don't even HAVE to read it; just looking at the headlines makes you laugh!

How embarrassing. It's time she dropped the 'Australian' from her stated nationality and just described herself as British-American. She spent such a limited period of time in this country that it's really not worth mentioning again. Ever.

What exactly does her nationality have to do with this? I didn't read the link so I don't know if it was mentioned.

Everyone should stop reading / taking seriously the daily fail ....

That´s true,they constantly fabricate stories and twist people´s words in a way, I only laugh at the hadlines and stupid gossip they produce :D
I always perceived Naomi Watts as a serious,intelligent actress, I do not think (& hope!) that she lost her mind while filming this biopic about Princess Diana ;-)
Question to everyone: Does anyone plan to watch this movie?
I am interested in how they tell the story and the acting (especially the role of Diana played by Naomi Watts), but on the other hand I do not want to support the Diana-hype and I do not like that people still make money out of her story.
Guess I will only watch the movie if they show it on tv one day,out of curiosity :)

Last edited:
I'm not going to watch it, it looks cheap and tacky and I had thought Naomi had picked up her game but clearly not. She isn't the best actress and I don't see how anyone is going to buy her as Diana. But her check cleared so she doesn't care.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie: to the actress' interpretation of Diana, which I think will be very well done; to seeing historic and "iconic" [dreadful word, sometimes!] moments of twentieth-century culture re-created; and I expect to shed tears, for what was lost, and what might have been.

I will see it and judge it accordingly after. ;)

Video:
Diana Movie Makers Braced For 'Backlash'
Diana Movie Makers Braced For 'Backlash'

I actually feel a little embarrassed for William & Harry, Catherine and both families. I wonder how it makes them feel to see the promotional clips?

Might be a nice film but I too feel like Diana's memory has been hijacked.

Last edited:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/naomi-watts-storms-out-of-diana-interview/story-e6frfmvr-1226712732771

Naomi Watts storms out of Diana interview
5 September 2013

THE biopic Diana, about the late princess of Wales, is set for its world premiere with its star, Naomi Watts, already defending her involvement in the controversial film.

But in an interview with the BBC, she stormed out.

According to a tweet by BBC radio presenter Simon Mayo, she walked out of an interview with him after becoming uncomfortable with his questions regarding the biopic. "A first for me and @wittertainment as Naomi Watts walked out of an interview! She seemed a tad uncomfortable with the questions. Shame", he wrote.

In response to BBC Radio 5Live presenter Shelagh Fogarty's query as to why she did, Mayo replied: "The honest answer is I have no idea. You know my hectoring style is always a problem."

Naomi Watts looks absolutely nothing like Diana. And Hasnat Khan, who seems like the most honorable and decent of men, has said the promotional clips made him "laugh out loud".
That's all I need to hear.:ohmy:

A garbage film to make money. Based on what???

COUNTESS it is alleged to be based on Diana's relationship with Hasnat Khan...the last great love of her life according to people who knew her.

But Khan has publically distanced himself from the film, says it got a lot of things wrong and is simply a joke!

So... It's like pretty much every other "biographical" film out there?

People are bothered by this, but it's no different from every other so called based on a true story movie that focuses on someone who may have been less famous (or simply has been dead for a longer period of time) than Diana.

Critics savage Diana film after premiere

Critics savage Diana film after premiere < Local News | Expatica United Kingdom

The Times praised Watts for doing "her level best with a squirmingly embarrassing script" but concluded that the film was still "atrocious and intrusive".

"Poor Princess Diana," wrote Guardian critic Peter Bradshaw. "I hesitate to use the term 'car crash cinema'. But the awful truth is that, 16 years after that terrible day in 1997, she has died another awful death."

The Daily Telegraph gave the film two stars -- one more than both the Guardian and Times -- but was also withering in its assessment. "What's the point of 'Diana'?" reviewer Davis Gritten asked rhetorically.

Diana Movie Savaged by Critics
Diana Movie Savaged by Critics - YouTube

To be completely honest, I can't wait to see this film blow completely. Call me a Doris Downer or whatever you like, but I still think it's way too soon to make a film about someone as well-loved and iconic as Diana was and still is. Doesn't help much that the film looks (and always have looked) like a cheap Lifetime movie. I also think that Naomi Watts is a horrific actress but that's just me.

And some more scathing remarks. Ouch! Maybe for a laugh I'll wait for DVD, if the movie ever makes it there:

Naomi Watts' 'Diana' attacked by British critics - MSN Movies News

Peter Bradshaw of the Guardian gave "Diana" just one star out of a possible five and heavily criticized the film, writing, "Poor Princess Diana. I hesitate to use the term 'car crash cinema.' But the awful truth is that, 16 years after that terrible day in 1997, she has died another awful death ... The movie isn't so much Mills & Boon as a horrendous Fifty Shades of Grey with the S&M sex taken out -- and replaced with paparazzi intrusion and misunderstood charity work ... The moment anyone, anyone at all, opens their mouth, we are in TV-movie-land, soap-land."

The Daily Telegraph's David Gritten concurs, singling out the movie's references to the Paris car crash as a "redundant piece of lurid sensationalism," adding of the film, "What's the point of 'Diana'? It's hardly fascinating. It doesn't offer new facts about the princess's life. And it certainly doesn't explain her complexity or contradictions. That would take a different, better film altogether."

David Edwards of the Daily Mirror adds, "'Diana' can only be described as a fabulously awful film. The queen of hearts has been recast as a sad-sack singleton that even Bridget Jones would cross the street to avoid ... The film's a cheap and cheerless effort ... Director Oliver Hirschbiegel ... should know better ... Despite a peroxide hair job, (Watts) looks, sounds and acts nothing like the princess of Wales. Wesley Snipes in a blond wig would be more convincing." Christopher Tookey of the Daily Mail also gave the film just one star out of five, branding it "tedious," "slow" and "terribly, terribly dull."

As one commentator said 'the critics have had their say,now its up to the audiences'.

COUNTESSBut Khan has publically distanced himself from the film, says it got a lot of things wrong and is simply a joke!

I would take this to mean that Khan's permission to make a movie about a love affair he's had in his lifetime wasn't granted. If someone were to make a movie about someone I once had a relationship with and got it wrong and didn't ask for my permission, I'd definitely be seeking legal counsel.

It is no surprise to me that this film is going to flop. I really don't think there's that much general interest in Diana and her love affairs anymore let alone how badly the script was written or how bad the actress was. Then again, making a movie these days about Betty Ford's battle with alcoholism would probably garner the same response. The interest in both persons has met its sell by date. (I do know there was a movie made about Betty in 1987)

Back
Top Bottom