"Diana" (2013) - Film about Diana, Princess of Wales and Hasnat Khan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I saw a pic of this actress without being told that she is impersonating Diana, I'd never think of any connection to the late Diana myself. :ermm:

The last time I saw Naomi in a film was The Ring.. She has aged a bit and looks older than Diana in these photos.

:previous:
Naomi looks older because she is older.
Diana was 36 at the time of her death; Naomi is 44. Not a dramatic difference, but still.

I suppose the theaters will be packed with popcorn munching TRF members :cool:

:previous:
Naomi looks older because she is older.
Diana was 36 at the time of her death; Naomi is 44. Not a dramatic difference, but still.

I know she's older... But Hollywood films have been known to make actors look older and younger from what they really are; thanks to make up, hair, and prosthetics. The make up and wigs the costumers and artists are putting on Naomi has aged her. She doesn't look like she's in her 30s and she looks older than her real age in some of these photos imo. Naomi is still a young and a very pretty woman. I don't think 40s should be considered old. Look at Halle Berry she's 45 and still looks like a 30 year old.

Naomi Watts's startling grasp of history and historical timelines is a revelation. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2340353/Naomi-Watts-dazzles-Princess-Diana-biopic-film-royal-icons-life.html

First look: Naomi Watts dazzles as Princess Diana in biopic film of the royal icon's life

selective quotes

"...it is suggested the film won't hold back...as it follows the last few months of [Diana's] life.

The film-makers behind the movie Diana...insisted the film is not ‘sensationalism or titillation’.
'We’re here to tell a love story and it’s very tragic.'
'There’s nothing sordid about the story we tell in the film.’
‘We’re not here for sensationalism or titillation.'
'She was distraught sometimes, and very hurt, but not unhinged.‘

The film is...not being called a biopic.
‘It’s more a fictionalised story based on fact’

Naomi Watts told the Daily Mail:
‘I did struggle with the idea of doing it'
'it’s a story that had to be told'
'It’s a piece of history'
'it’s a little fresher perhaps than a film about Henry VII’."

.The film will have its public premiere in London on September 5.

Last edited:
Well, I have to say that I am not happy about people trying to cash in on Princess Diana´s fame by making a film or writing (another!) book about her,but nevertheless I was curious and looked at the first pictures of Naomi as Diana and watched the "Diana" trailer on youtube...
I must say that I did not really see much resemblance of Diana in Naomi Watts, her face looks very different to me. To be fair we should say that Naomi Watts is a beautiful & talented actress, I have seen her in many films where she delivered a great performance.
I just don´t think that any actress could do justice to portraying Diana in a natural,normal way and also show the same emotions that the Princess of Wales did.
At least Naomi Watts is a smart actress who has made some good films in the past,I am sure that she has tried to give a good performance.

Last edited:
She is a very good actress. Naveen Andrews was my favorite on LOST so I'm looking forward to this film.

I have to admit, I'm curious about this too. Does anyone know when it's going to be released? :D

I just watched the trailer. Naomi Watts may be a good actress, but the trailer didn't make me feel that it is Diana and her life she is playing. Naomi is too short to play Diana, she gives totally wrong impression. Or at least I got the impression that Naomi is much shorter than Diana, and the height was one striking thing in Diana.

Last edited:
I just watched the trailer. Naomi Watts may be a good actress, but the trailer didn't make me feel that it is Diana and her life she is playing. Naomi is too short to play Diana, she gives totally wrong impression. Or at least I got the impression that Naomi is much shorter than Diana, and the height was one striking thing in Diana.

I was thinking the same and I'm in 2 minds if I'll go and see it.

I'm thinking the same thing. It's interesting that Naomi Watt's good friend, fellow Aussie Nicole Kidman, is playing Princess Grace in an upcoming movie. Height-wise, I think they should have swapped roles.

I think it's very interesting that Naomi and Nicole was given the chance to portray these iconic women. Two women that pretty much captivated the world for years and both met their ends so tragically.

I won't go see the film but will wait for the DVD.

I saw the trailer yesterday on the news and I agree; Naomi looked shorter than Diana. Whilst I was watching the trailer on the news; they showed you a clip of the film and a clip of Diana, and their voices did sound similar IMO.

I think this movie is going to be crap. Going by the trailer, it doesn't look promising. More of a tv-movie.

I think this movie is going to be crap. Going by the trailer, it doesn't look promising. More of a tv-movie.

I most likely will wait and watch this one when it does come on TV. I don't think it'll take too long. Its just not a topic I believe that will have people flocking to the theaters to see.

I most likely will wait and watch this one when it does come on TV. I don't think it'll take too long. Its just not a topic I believe that will have people flocking to the theaters to see.
Maybe they will pull good numbers in the opening weekend. Diana, after so many years, is still able to captivate. The movie itself seems to look low-budget though. I can't really put my finger on it.

To me the dresses and jewelry makes it hard to believe it is Diana, Princess of Wales. The height and the actress' thinner hair are the other things that show this was low budget.

BTW, only her relatives know Diana's life those last two years. I just hope it is written in the Princess' favor, because I have had enough of the negative to last my lifetime.:sad:

Last edited:
It looks like a low-budget Lifetime movie to me, and those wigs are just awful on Naomi.

Amen to this. Throughout the whole trailer I got a made-for-television feel from it. It looks pretty **** to me, but again, I've always been against the making of this film so I guess I'm biased.

First I will say I am tired of movies about Diana, it is just retelling the same story over again. I personally have not seen a good one since Diana Her True Story.
Second Watts is far to pretty to play Diana. With that being said Nicole isn't pretty enough for Grace; she and Naomi should have traded roles.

I think actress Serena Scott Thomas ( young sister of actress Kristin Scott Thomas) played Diana the best in "Diana: Her True Story" a 1993 film. I agree with XeniaCasarahi. I haven't seen a good movie since that film. Most recently, Serena has played Carole Middleton in the 2011 movie, "William & Kate."

I think it's great that Naomi got a chance to portray an iconic figure but I've grown tired of these movies.

Last edited:
It looks like a low-budget Lifetime movie to me, and those wigs are just awful on Naomi.

Sigh.

Methinks I must write, direct and produce a movie about Diana. No more of this saccharin drivel.

I'll get Kate Blanchett to play Diana. I need someone with range and ability.

Daniel Day Lewis can play Charles.

If you write an unbiased,factual movie about Diana....lots and lots people will be up in arms and writing you hate mail. They want the drippy, Lifetime version of her life.

Sigh.

Methinks I must write, direct and produce a movie about Diana. No more of this saccharin drivel.

Be warned, those actors would not only chew up the scenery but also each other. Much like the Charles/Diana household......:eek:

Last edited:
Sigh.

I vote for Betty White to play the part of the Queen Mum. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom