"De Kongelige Juveler" ("The Royal Jewels") (2011) - DR Documentary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ausflag:

For Australian members

Part 1 will be shown on SBS, Christmas Day at 7.30pm

(The Queen's Christmas Message is on the ABC from 7.20 to 7.30 so there's a neat fit :)).

-> Part 2 will be shown on SBS, New Year's Eve at 5.30pm

• • •

Last edited:
The documentary reminds me abit of the one made afew years ago called "A Royal Family" about the decendents of the Grandfather of Europe - Christian IX. It had a similar format of interviews, historical photos and footage and I'm quite sure it was made by the same producers/TV company. I bought the book and the dvd (most of the interviews were in English anyway and English narration had been added on to the original) and so I wonder if De Kongelige Juveler might become available one day on dvd as well as the proposed book?

The documentary reminds me abit of the one made afew years ago called "A Royal Family" about the decendents of the Grandfather of Europe - Christian IX. It had a similar format of interviews, historical photos and footage and I'm quite sure it was made by the same producers/TV company. I bought the book and the dvd (most of the interviews were in English anyway and English narration had been added on to the original) and so I wonder if De Kongelige Juveler might become available one day on dvd as well as the proposed book?

Yes one of the producers Anna von Lerche is the same as from "A Royal Family". Next year there will be a DVD and also a book accompaniying for the Series released.

Any chance we could get a link to the Australian tv version? It'd be nice to hear the whole thing in English instead of just the interviews in the Danish version.

:previous:
It's certainly possible and I guess it depends on the "rebroadcasting" rights that come attached to the program.
The SBS website has an excellent video section - see here - where many programs are made available for a limited period (note that expiry dates range from 6 days to a month).
If the program doesn't appear in the main video list shortly after being broadcast (the Central Time Zone is 15 hours behind Sydney), the "catch up on last night" column on the right hand side looks promising. :)
If the video does appear here after Christmas Day, just hope you're not advised "this video is not available in your territory" when you click on it. :D

Just a reminder.

The second part of the documentary will be shown tonight on DR1 at 20.00.

You should be able to watch it live here: DR NU (You can actually test it by clicking the link now. If you can see anything, you are watching live TV).

If not, I'm sure Khxy19 will be looking for a new link for us. :)

Last edited:
Queen Alexandrine shared her jewels between her two sons, 50 % for each.
We saw the fringe tiara from Queen Alexandrine and then shortly Countess Sussie who owns it. Queen Alexandrine had a wonderful sapphire tiara we did not see because it belongs to Princess Elisabeth.

Queen Alexandrine shared her jewels between her two sons, 50 % for each.
We saw the fringe tiara from Queen Alexandrine and then shortly Countess Sussie who owns it. Queen Alexandrine had a wonderful sapphire tiara we did not see because it belongs to Princess Elisabeth.

The sapphire tiara of Queen Alexandrine bellongs to Count Christian of Rosenbrog. The sapphire tiara of Ptrincess Elisabeth was gven to her by her mother who got it (or inherited) it from Princess Thyra (daughter of Frederik VIII.). Too bad that Queen Margrethe II. has no sapphire tiara to wear with her sapphire necklace which also belonged to Queen Alexandrine.

Count Ingolf has no children , Princess Elisabeth never married, Prince Christian has daughters .
Will these girls wear half of Queen Alexandrine jewels, give or sell them to the main Branch , or sell them in an Auction.
Stefan , are there rules about it ?

I watched the second part and it can only be described with one word:
Astonishing.

It was exclusively about the truly breathtaking Russian collection of which most have been lost.
It's my impression that modern royal collections are nothing but pale immitations compared to the Russian jewellery.
They were truly magnificent pieces of art and insanely expensive, just one step short of being vulgar.

To me, who know very little about jewellery, this second part was clearly much more interesting simply because of the captivating stories behind some of the pieces.
- Imagine forgetting you had stored a pretty large box of precious gemstones at Cartier!

A pity you couldn't see the second part live, Tilia.
But at least we know now that it will be only a matter of time before this second part is online as well. - And you've got something to look forward to!

Last edited:
Even more astonishing than the first part? Now I really have something to look forward to. :flowers: Let's hope that it will be online tomorrow. It's always good to bring some sparkle in one's Mondays, isn't it?

Oh, and I constantly forget about my gemstone boxes at Cartier.;) So difficult to keep track of it all. I even mislaid my diamond and ruby Christmas tree decoration. So I decided to put only natural pearls and diamond stars on my tree this year.

Even more astonishing than the first part? Now I really have something to look forward to. :flowers: Let's hope that it will be online tomorrow. It's always good to bring some sparkle in one's Mondays, isn't it?

Oh, and I constantly forget about my gemstone boxes at Cartier.;) So difficult to keep track of it all. I even mislaid my diamond and ruby Christmas tree decoration. So I decided to put only natural pearls and diamond stars on my tree this year.

I supposed that can be exused if you were wealthier than the Imperial family, a lot wealthier!
But I understand what you're saying, it really is a problem keeping order in all that bling. - Which is why one of the more prominent figures in this documentary kept four safes in her bouduoir. She had sorted her jewellery according to the color of the stones.....
That is, those she had in this particular residence.

:ROFLMAO: How inspiring, I'll ask Santa for a set of safes this year.

And how did you find out that I was making up that little story. Wasn't it realistic enough?

Ah, realism. I guess that those Russian aritstocrats would have fared a bit better, had they been more realistic about the situation in their country.

Pass me the smelling salts, please, all this talk of the Russian collection and multiple safes in various homes to contain priceless jewels is making me quite faint!!

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: How inspiring, I'll ask Santa for a set of safes this year.

And how did you find out that I was making up that little story. Wasn't it realistic enough?

Ah, realism. I guess that those Russian aritstocrats would have fared a bit better, had they been more realistic about the situation in their country.

You do have a reputation as a jester, Tilia C. I was guessing. ;)

But you are so very right. The Russian upper class lived in a bizarre alternative world compared to the rest of the population.

Amazing documetary! I really enjoyed it very much and I'm looking forward to the next part!

Watching part two made me so sad that it was the last because it is truly one of the most magnificent documentaries about royals/jewels that I have ever seen.
You could see that Prince Michael of Kent got pretty emotional when talking about the Dowager Empress' exit from Crimea.

You do have a reputation as a jester, Tilia C. I was guessing. ;)

But you are so very right. The Russian upper class lived in a bizarre alternative world compared to the rest of the population.
I? Reputation? I have no idea what you are talking about. And now I'll check out the link Stefan kindly posted.

Last edited:
here is the link to Part 2:
DR NU

Fascinating. Thank you for posting the link! :flowers: I love archival footage and this documentary wove in the footage beautifully. Wonderful to view.

Will there be more parts to this documentary - or are the two parts it?

Again, thank you! :flowers:

Thank you very much for part 2 of this most fascinating documentary. The most poignant part was Prince Michael recounting the story of the Russian royals escaping the country by ship; he definitely was moved by this.

Last edited:
This Documentary is truly JEWELRY. Both parts are magnificent. I liked more first part :)

It would be nice in the future to see more documentaries like this for jewelry of every royal house :flowers:

Last edited:
I'm probably the only one who was disappointed by the second part of the documentary. I was hoping for it to be about russian jewels in lesser known european courts. It was mostly about stuff I already knew thru my own reading, etc. Fewer interviews were in english, although I could pick out a word here and there from the french.

The second part really had nothing to so with the first part of the documentray, and from what I gathered (as I don't understand Danish and only a smidge of French), never went in depth about any one particular piece of jewelry.

Last edited:
Fascinating. Thank you for posting the link! :flowers: I love archival footage and this documentary wove in the footage beautifully. Wonderful to view.

Will there be more parts to this documentary - or are the two parts it?

Again, thank you! :flowers:

There are only two parts in this documentary.
But who knows? There may be a follow up if the interest is there or someone else might be inspired to make something similay.

I'm probably the only one who was disappointed by the second part of the documentary. I was hoping for it to be about russian jewels in lesser known european courts. It was mostly about stuff I already knew thru my own reading, etc. Fewer interviews were in english, although I could pick out a word here and there from the french.

Yeah, I think this documentary was more like a general introduction into the world of royal jewellery and not aimed at those who are really in the know.
To me it was a fascinating glimpse into a subject and history I knew next to nothing about and as such I found the second part more interesting.
It was amusing to hear Prince Henrik talk about how "French" the Russian aristocracy was. Even down to the laying of the dinner-table.
And also to hear him tell us how they bought their dresses in France and shipped their laundry to France...

The British aristocracy took many of its table laying customs (and fashion statements) from the French as well.

I was disappointed about part 2 as well. I had hoped it would be about the Russian jewels that are still around and being worn by living royals such as the Greeks (which through Queen Anne Marie would have tied into the Danish angle). It really just turned out to be about the revolution and the loss or sales of jewels nearly 100 years ago. Part 1 was great but part 2 not so much.

I too liked Part 1 and part 2 was a bit of a let down. Thanks for posting the links~

I agree with you: the second part was very disappointing for me. I would have seen new jewels or jewels owned by the lesser known members of the Romanov dynasty.

Regards!

I'd love to see more installments on other royal houses' jewels such as the Dutch, Norwegian, Belgian, Spanish and Luxembourg, then maybe we'd see the royal ladies interviewed as well. Imagine the jewels we'd see and the stories we'd hear......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom