"De Kongelige Juveler" ("The Royal Jewels") (2011) - DR Documentary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the best royal documentaries!

wow I have just finished watching the documentary and it was fantastic! And I love that Mary, Silvia and Margrethe plus Benedicte were participating and telling so much of the jewel's history. I am totally blown away by it. Love it.

Am I dreaming or did I hear at the time of Princess Victoria marriage that the beautiful set of silver on the banquet table was inherited from Empress Amelie from Brazil as well? Did the video also state that? I don't speak Danish but I can almost swear I understood that.

It is a pity that the Brazilian parure has not stayed in Brazil. But it is fortunate that it is nowadays in the possesion of a half Brazilian Queen as beautiful as Silvia that carries it with so much aplomb.

Yes the Silver Service used atthe Wedding Dinner also had belonged to Empress Amelie of Brazil.
See also the Press Release from the swedish Court at the Wedding Day
The table setting - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Hi, Boris. Don't know if you'll have any information regarding my questions but here's a go:

The Braganza tiara - you mentioned that it shifts, as stated by Silvia in the documentary. I know that the pieces that sit further back on the head are actually removable as she wore the tiara without in them in her first official portrait as queen. Are any parts of the original tiara or the additions set "en tremblant" which would add to the movement when worn and moving about?
You're absolutely correct that the Braganza exists of nine seperate parts and that Queen Silvia at first only wore the version which is shortened on the sides for official portraits.
There is also an official portrait of Victoria von Baden wearing the Braganza in its smaller version.
The debut of this tiara in its full version and in public for Queen Silvia was in 1983, when she wore the full piece for the welcome banquet for QEII during her state visit to Sweden.
No part of the tiara is set 'en tremblant', but interestingly, the center piece originally was! The Braganza tiara was already in the Brazilian Imperial family when Amalia of Leuchtenberg married into it, and she made alterations to the piece which was not quite as high originally and had a different, more delicate center piece motif which was set 'en tremblant.'
Regarding the 'shifting', in HQ pics you can notice that there is a kind of second velvet-covered base sitting a fracture higher than the bottom base behind the diamonds, in the inside of the tiara. Probably it featured a comb towards the hair to secure it better.
One more thing, just like the Leuchtenberg tiara, the Braganza is flexible - Queen Silvia has worn it in different diameters and width over the years.
The very first picture of the earrings in the documentary included what looked like pieces to lengthen the earrings, making them a "drop" instead of a "pendant" as they are in their current setting. Is it possible that the large pendants or even the diamonds to which they are attached were originally the pendants at the end of the "drop" pieces that were pictured (the drops looked to be 4-5 smaller circular diamonds attached in a line and defiinitely had a setting for a earclasp attached at the top - it isn't likely that the pair included settings for pierced ears as they were not really in fashion at the time I believe)?
I'm intrigued by this as well - there are definitely two versions of these earrings shown in the documentary.
But the large pear-shaped drops were certainly 'loose' before Queen Silvia had them set as earrings; Göran Alm already said so in his book about the jewels.
It actually looks to me as if the top part, which would make the earrings much longer with the large pear drops then dangling from it at the bottom, was simply never worn by Queen Silvia... maybe the full version was found too be too heavy or impractical after completion? Odd anyway, since she created them after all.
A screenshot of the Brazilian earrings in question:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Last edited:
Thank you, Muhler, for your confirmation. I think that this is a case of information which was not known before this documentary.

The 3-piece tiara is mentioned is a book by Bjarne Steen Jensen, "The jewels of the Danish Royal House" (published by Nyt Nordisk Forlag 2002): On p. 102 there's a discription of the floral tiara and how the stones are set, a piece typical of the mid 19th century. About the provenance:

'The tiara has belonged to a Danish-American and one could imagine that there's a royal provenance in the past".

My comment:
It will take some time before the actual provenance of this tiara is made public, if ever and that goes for bridal tiara of CP Mary as well. I for one haven't heard anything about the provenance of the latter!

viv

What a wonderful documentary. It was very touching to hear the stories behind all of the jewels and the sentimentality that goes with them as they are passed to each generation. It brought tears to my eyes to hear about the personal moments that went along with the pieces, and makes them that much more special to see them worn with such pride.
Thank you so much for the link to the video. Without all of you finding such great links to items such as this, I would really be missing out on something special! Thank you all for your hard work!! ♥♥♥

Thank you, Muhler, for your confirmation. I think that this is a case of information which was not known before this documentary.

You are welcome :)

I see that Viv has kindly added a few details.

A screenshot of the Brazilian earrings in question:

This is the shot to which I referred. The long pieces which we have not seen worn actually look alot like some modern diamond earring settings. I wonder if they could be worn by themselves...but then it would be strange that we haven't seen them on HM or any of the princesses in Sweden, especially the younger ones.

I add my thanks to those who provided the link to this wonderful documentary, as well as to members who contributed useful insights beyond what was shown in the film. I would like to take up Muhler's offer and ask if he could tell a bit more about the Norwegian emeralds as I could not follow much of the commentary. I was also mystifyed by the identity of the person or persons in a train being waved to by a lot of children. The segment was just before the discussion of the death of the young princess Ingrid's mother, so I imagine there is a connection but would like to know the story! Mange tak!

The 3-piece tiara is mentioned is a book by Bjarne Steen Jensen, "The jewels of the Danish Royal House" (published by Nyt Nordisk Forlag 2002): On p. 102 there's a discription of the floral tiara and how the stones are set, a piece typical of the mid 19th century. About the provenance:

'The tiara has belonged to a Danish-American and one could imagine that there's a royal provenance in the past".

My comment:
It will take some time before the actual provenance of this tiara is made public, if ever and that goes for bridal tiara of CP Mary as well. I for one haven't heard anything about the provenance of the latter!

viv
Many thanks, Viv!
I agree that we might never learn about the original owners of these two tiaras. But I cherish the information that it was a gift from king Christian to queen Ingrid.

I add my thanks to those who provided the link to this wonderful documentary, as well as to members who contributed useful insights beyond what was shown in the film. I would like to take up Muhler's offer and ask if he could tell a bit more about the Norwegian emeralds as I could not follow much of the commentary. I was also mystifyed by the identity of the person or persons in a train being waved to by a lot of children. The segment was just before the discussion of the death of the young princess Ingrid's mother, so I imagine there is a connection but would like to know the story! Mange tak!

Well, I can help you with at least half your question.
I assume you refer to the WWII segment?
DK and Norway was invaded on 9th April 1940. DK was quickly overrun and surrendered. (The Parliament had hoped to stay out like during WWI, and it was actually only very late in the planning that Germany decided to include Denmark as well, and mostly to get control of Aalborg airfield). The Norwegian RF however managed to get away (a dramatic story, which included German bombers). The Norwegian Queen fled via Sweden bringing with her the emerald parure. In Sweden she met shortly with her mother, I think, who told her that she should sell the parure if she needed money. No one at that time knew how long the war would last.
While the Norwegian king stayed in Britain during the war, (except for a couple of visits to USA) the Queen went to USA with among others her son, the present day King of Norway.
The war ended and the NRF returned home, with the parue. They had managed to cope without selling it.
- That's basically it, I think. :)

Last edited:
Madame Royale, I think we caught a glimpse of the socalled lava parure - or demiparure - which was shown in connection with Swedish-born Queen Lovisa, who brought loads of jewellery with her when she married the Danish Crown Prince in 1869.
This parure has not been aired in public for ages! I think that the last owner was the late countess Ruth of Rosenborg.

viv

Thanks for the clarification, Viv.

It is such an interesting looking piece.

Well, I can help you with at least half your question.
I assume you refer to the WWII segment?
DK and Norway was invaded on 9th April 1940. DK was quickly overrun and surrendered. (The Parliament had hoped to stay out like during WWI, and it was actually only very late in the planning that Germany decided to include Denmark as well, and mostly to get control of Aalborg airfield). The Norwegian RF however managed to get away (a dramatic story, which included German bombers). The Norwegian Queen fled via Sweden bringing with her the emerald parure. In Sweden she met shortly with her mother, I think, who told her that she should sell the parure if she needed money. No one at that time knew how long the war would last.
While the Norwegian king stayed in Britain during the war, (except for a couple of visits to USA) the Queen went to USA with among others her son, the present day King of Norway.
The war ended and the NRF returned home, with the parue. They had managed to cope without selling it.
- That's basically it, I think. :)
That is not how i understood it: Maud fled to Sweden and before she left for america her mother, princess Ingeborg, gave her the emeralds (they belonged to Ingeborg) and told her to sell them if she had to, they didn´t know if they would ever see eachother again. Fortunatly they could return to Norway and she didn´t had to sell the emeralds, and that´s how they ended up in Norway. That´s how i understood the story atleast.

Many thanks, Viv!
I agree that we might never learn about the original owners of these two tiaras.

About the previous ownership of three piece tiara: In connection with an exhibition of Queen Ingrid's gala dresses a few years ago one of our newspapers mentioned that King Frederik purchased the tiara from the Danish -born Wagner tenor Laurtiz Melchior (1890 - 1973). While this is not necessarily the truth and nothing but, it can't be ruled out completely!

Viv

About the previous ownership of three piece tiara: In connection with an exhibition of Queen Ingrid's gala dresses a few years ago one of our newspapers mentioned that King Frederik purchased the tiara from the Danish -born Wagner tenor Laurtiz Melchior (1890 - 1973). While this is not necessarily the truth and nothing but, it can't be ruled out completely!

Viv
Mange tak! I hadn't heard that before.

Loved the documentary!! And many thanks to those who posted the link. It was lovely to hear QMII and Queen Silvia and the Crown Princess discuss the history and how they feel about wearing them with such warmth. I nearly had a heart attack and had to reach for my caffiene & chocolates when I saw the jeweller had taken the desiree ruby tiara off the frame altogether. My goodness how nerve wracking for him to be handling such a well known historic piece, over 200 years old even though it has been altered quite a bit since. Just goes to show the making of this doco has been in the pipeline for some time. Am looking forward to part 2 eagerly.
I think Mary is lucky to have such a wonderful mother-in-law, who has been such a big help to her.

I had watched the documentary, incredible, fascinating! to know the history of such a pieces is very interesting ! to listen them talking and explaing was so nice, specially when Mary mention about the significance of the tiara and how had been change for her I could never imagine that, to see all the work that it took to have it done! suprise me thouw that she got it only a few days before to use it, becsue I guess she had to practice to walk with it I am sure it is heavy and had to try it to see how does it looks and how long it took to have it rearrange for her? and of ocure it is no concidece that she had a red dress with it! to match the tiara! it is incredible to see how they have comaniees of people to do this fine job to keep , replace or rearrange the jewellery without being worry about stealing stones or replacing this with fakes stoneS! i have a few pieces of small jewellery that I inherit but i can not use it becasue they need repair and i am so scare to take it to a place and that they will change the stones for fake, or steall it! i took once my wedding ring to repair and the gentelman got upset with me becasue i fallow to the next shop to get some tool to repair a, cerently my eyese never left the ring! it must be a great feeling to trust the people who is repaing them, and taking care of such great pieces not to be scare that you will be robbed that you can affford the tag and have acces to have such fine jewlers to do such a fine and delicate job! what an experience in life!!!!!!!!!!I must say that it is a photo of Mary and Queen Ingreed and I think they look so alike the same shape of face, increible, I love it, and i enjoy it a lot, thank you so much for positng it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Loved the documentary! It was nice having so much in English, but i do wish the narration had subtltles in English - can't have everything though, I guess.

What came clear was that wearing all these jewels is not a simple matter. Like when Queen Silvia mentioned the heaviness of a particular tiara - and that it moves. Yikes! One needs a good head of hair for these pieces. I could see where one might opt out of wearing the jewels - or try to - because of the heaviness and discomfort.

Brilliant documentary! I first was interested in watching it because it featured Queen Ingrid's ruby parure, my favorite, but everything else was so interesting. It was great to hear the Queens discuss the fabulous jewelery as well as history in general. I'm totally going to watch it again, can't wait for the second part. Fingers crossed they make an English version (I heard it might air in Australia...?)

While watching it I also thought how amazing it would be to have a doc like this about the British Royal jewels ;)

:previous:

Yes Super Baroness, it will be airing in Australia on Christmas Day/New Year's Eve. SBS has bought the rights to the documentary, and in foreign language programs they always have English subtitles. I'm sure after it airs, the English version will make it on to the net somehow.

That is not how i understood it: Maud fled to Sweden and before she left for america her mother, princess Ingeborg, gave her the emeralds (they belonged to Ingeborg) and told her to sell them if she had to, they didn´t know if they would ever see eachother again. Fortunatly they could return to Norway and she didn´t had to sell the emeralds, and that´s how they ended up in Norway. That´s how i understood the story atleast.

I stand corrected. :)
I wrote from memory.

And some hard news from Billed Bladet: Billed-Bladet - Udlandet viser stor interesse for De Kongelige Juveler

The documentary is right now being assessed by around 30 networks.

Apart from Australia, China and Poland, these countries have also bought the docu: Norway, Estonia, Finland, Belgium and Luxembourg.

926.000 watched the first part Sunday. (We are 5.400.000 in DK. That's pretty impressive, even if we include German, Swedish and Norwegian viewers in that figure).

This is the shot to which I referred. The long pieces which we have not seen worn actually look alot like some modern diamond earring settings. I wonder if they could be worn by themselves...but then it would be strange that we haven't seen them on HM or any of the princesses in Sweden, especially the younger ones.
Thanks to Tamara of the RJWMB: The long upper parts of the Brazilian earrings have indeed been worn by themselves by 'the younger ones'!
Only once as it seems, in fact by CP Victoria at the 'Day After' Nobel gala 2007, though one should check if they were seen other occasions as well.
Their shape is not very distinct all on their own, and they might have been overlooked even when worn by Queen Silvia.

As for 'the long pieces look like modern settings' - that's because, as I mentioned before, they are. The whole setting of these earrings is modern, as Queen Silvia had it made for the historic stones from storage in 1979.

Tamara's pic of CP Victoria wearing the upper parts in 2007:

I don't recognize the pendant on her necklace worn on this occasion - another pic:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/522/polfoto11me6.jpg/

Last edited:
As this doco is so popular and rated well it appears, then it should be made available after general release on DVD so all of us who are interested - bling junkies - jewelholics - and diamond lovers, can watch it over and over especially on weekends when the only other alternative is football.

As this doco is so popular and rated well it appears, then it should be made available after general release on DVD so all of us who are interested - bling junkies - jewelholics - and diamond lovers, can watch it over and over especially on weekends when the only other alternative is football.
No worries: some time ago one of the makers, Bjarne Steen-Jensen, stated on the RJW board, that there will be DVD. It will be both in Danish and in English.

I'm looking forward to the 2nd part. If it's anything like the first part, it will be stunning.

Many posts from the early part of this thread have been removed due to their having no relevance to the documentary.

Warren
Royal Library moderator

Thanks for the info Tilia. It should sell well. cheers

Wonderful documentary, and may I add my thanks to those who posted that link as well as to the others who contributed additional information here about these historic gems. This is absolutely enthralling. My only regret is that I didn't understand the language for the background bits, especially about Desiree Clary and Napoleon. I hope that in the next installment, we get to hear the royal ladies of the Netherlands and Norway discussing their jewels as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom