"Charles and Camilla: Whatever Love Means" (2005) - Granada Telemovie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I watched it on german tv. All in all it wasn´t too bad. But IMO you couldn´t really understand the progress of C+C relationship. It wasn´t really clear, why they complete so much. Only for insiders, who "know" (?) the story. Many facts and dates were jumbled and whole periods were leave out. But it was a good movie to relax and watch nice pics. And Camilla wasn´t pictured as "this wicked woman" but a woman who loves "her" man.

I watched this movie and recorded it a couple months ago I thought it was very good but I didn't like how they portrayed Princess Diana she was portrayed in my opinion as a whiny girl. I thought the woman who played her looked the part but I think she was a little over dramatic which made Diana look like a baby. I also agree I like how they portrayed Camilla because people got to see it from her side of the story instead of looking at her as the other woman.

Does anyone know where to watch Charles*Camilla?
Sorry to bump a 5yr old thread, but I didn't feel it would be appropriate to start an identical thread?

Sorry to bump a 5yr old thread, but I didn't feel it would be appropriate to start an identical thread?

You might try your local library.

They are unlikely to have it, so tell them you would like to do an Interlibrary Loan to order Whatever Love Means. (Charles and Camilla).

The service is free in Pennsylvania, but some states have a nominal charge. (I just did the same thing; there are over sixty libraries listed in worldcat as having this film on DVD, so I think my chances are pretty good). Good luck!

Last edited:
I watched the DVD through Netflix (before they starting hiking up the DVD fee by 60%).

I got the DVD already! Hurray for libraries!

Interesting; I thought the film would end with Charles and Camilla marrying, but instead it ended with Charles marrying Diana.
Also intriguing was Anne's relationship with both Andrew Parker-Bowles and Mark Phillips.

Interesting; I thought the film would end with Charles and Camilla marrying, but instead it ended with Charles marrying Diana.
Also intriguing was Anne's relationship with both Andrew Parker-Bowles and Mark Phillips.
My favorite part of the movie (it's not a great movie, but I enjoyed it) was the interaction between Charles and Anne, discussing their romantic predicaments.

My favorite part of the movie (it's not a great movie, but I enjoyed it) was the interaction between Charles and Anne, discussing their romantic predicaments.

Yes! Didn't you think it was heavily implied that Andrew Parker-Bowles really wanted to marry Anne? That's what I thought!

Yes! Didn't you think it was heavily implied that Andrew Parker-Bowles really wanted to marry Anne? That's what I thought!
More like Anne really wanted to marry Andrew but couldn't because he was Catholic, so she settled for Mark Philipps (or "Foggy" as Charles called him). If you are to believe the tabloid headlines, Anne still has a beef with Camilla for stealing Andrew in 70s and that Camilla's "true love" has always been Andrew.

I don't know I buy it- if Camilla's true love was always Andrew, then why not just stay faithful to him and give Charles the brush-off? He'd have accepted it. I have heard rumors that Anne is not happy with Tim Lawrence and would like to divorce him and stay with Andrew; but all that is just rumors.

I genually feel a bit sorry for Camilla. It seems to me, that she had no choice but to marry the PoW. I think she would have been quite content being his companion and live somewhat privately. Whatever the circumstances it is never easy being the 2nd wife and in this instance down right difficult. I hope he has learned from the past and does everything he can to make her feel welcome and happy

:previous:

For sure these four gave some headhaches to the Queen and her entourage back in the 70's.
Anne and APB were lovers for sure but he was, indeed, considered unsuitable as a futur husband because of his religion and his somewhat racy reputation. Foggy was seen as far more appropriate (in his boring horse lover way) and Anne always listened to daddy so...
The same reputation banned Cams to become princess of Wales (we can ad that she was out anyway because of the battle btw team Spencer (aka Queen mum and Lady Fermoy) and team Mountbatten (aka uncle Dickie and his not so pleased granddaughter). And CharlyBoy always listened to Grandma so...
I've always suspected that the 1973 marriage btw Cams and APB (the same year than Anne and Foggy eh !) was somewhat "arranged", not that she was surely glad to wed the stalion of the moment, but this wedding pleased without doubt some senior royals, clearing the way for some more respectable brides/husbands to be.
About 40 years later, these four had the last laugh..

Last edited:
:previous:

For sure these four gave some headhaches to the Queen and her entourage back in the 70's.
Anne and APB were lovers for sure but he was, indeed, considered unsuitable as a futur husband because of his religion and his somewhat racy reputation. Foggy was seen as far more appropriate (in his boring horse lover way) and Anne always listened to daddy so...
The same reputation banned Cams to become princess of Wales (we can ad that she was out anyway because of the battle btw team Spencer (aka Queen mum and Lady Fermoy) and team Mountbatten (aka uncle Dickie and his not so pleased granddaughter). And CharlyBoy always listened to Grandma so...
I've always suspected that the 1973 marriage btw Cams and APB (the same year than Anne and Foggy eh !) was somewhat "arranged", not that she was surely glad to wed the stalion of the moment, but this wedding pleased without doubt some senior royals, clearing the way for some more respectable brides/husbands to be.
About 40 years later, these four had the last laugh..

On the contrary, most biographers of Charles and Camilla agree that Andrew was the "love of her life", to use their expression. She willingly put up with his many infidelities and even laughed about some of them with her friends. IMHO, if the Camillagate tapes had not come out, there would have never been a divorce between Camilla and Andrew. I don't know how Diana's death would have factored into that, perhaps that could have been a game-changer.

Camilla's "idol" was always Mrs. Keppel, mistress, but not wife to the King. I think she pushed the marriage with Diana, thinking Diana would put up with the situation. She referred to Diana as a "mouse" to a few people. (Talk about the mouse that roared, :lol:)

Charles declared his love to Camilla five months before she married Andrew, and he expressed the hope (to Camilla) that she would wait for his return from his eight month cruise with the RN before she made any decisions. For a better description, try Dimbleby's The Prince of Wales; you've probably already read it, but I know for myself, when I look for a specific subject, I'm usually surprised how much material there is in material I've already been over!:flowers:

Mmmm i think ABP was more the "lover of her life" , they were a physical match for sure but soulemates? I think not imo. Cams has always been the best friend, the support, the "rock" in Charle's life. She was maybe just too clever to accept a proposal from him (as she knew the futur implications but as i said i'm sure she was not expected by the royal circle to be "the one").
Both tried to play the best buddies card for some times (support in good times (to become a 'friend" of your best friend's futur wife) and in bad ones (be there when your best friend's wedding is collapsing)), well after that we can only speculate when this same deep friendship became, one more time, well something else ...

Actually, it was Diana who was the other woman. Camilla and Charles were always together, when he was not away. The touching exchange of engraved cufflinks and I, think, a gold braclet, showed they were just "friends", just before his wedding. Always appropriate. Look, he has always loved her. There is nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, life gave them other tasks, they didn't work. He was seeing Camilla from the get go, Diana was not the lunatic, you would like to paint her. She was immature and insecure, but she married a man who loved another woman. That was the problem.

And she was 19 or 20....if she had any suspicions about Camilla being more than a friend she probably convinced herself it was in the past and Charles would love her. She hadn't even had any real serious relationships from what I can recall....she was way in over her head trying to deal with the bond between Camilla and Charles.

MM

Actually, it was Diana who was the other woman. Camilla and Charles were always together, when he was not away. The touching exchange of engraved cufflinks and I, think, a gold braclet, showed they were just "friends", just before his wedding. Always appropriate. Look, he has always loved her. There is nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, life gave them other tasks, they didn't work. He was seeing Camilla from the get go, Diana was not the lunatic, you would like to paint her. She was immature and insecure, but she married a man who loved another woman. That was the problem.

No, the problem was a thirty-two year old man marrying a virginal nineteen/twenty year old who was deeply in love with him, or at least as much in love as is possible at that age.

If he had taken Diana aside, explained the situation particularly his feelings for Camilla whether they be deep friendship or love - then I highly, highly doubt Diana would have accepted his proposal. This was a girl who at seven years old told her nanny, upon first making her acquaintance, that she would only marry for love as she would never divorce. Diana Spencer would not have betrothed herself to a man who was in love with another woman, IMHO.

By vowing to love and remain faithful to Diana, before God, Charles made Camilla the other woman. Just like how when he announced to the world on the Dimbleby interview and in the book that he was Camilla's lover - he put an end to the Parker Bowles marriage. Incidentally, Camilla refused to have anything to do with that project (Dimbleby) and tried desperately to talk the PoW out of discussing anything personal.

And again, IMHO, there is something wrong with marrying a terribly young and inexperienced girl when one loves someone else. Diana was married to produce the heir and the spare. It's as simple and as cold as that.

I don't see the point in vilifying either Charles or Diana. They went into the marriage with different expectations, and they simply didn't know one another well-enough to get married at all. I still think that, in time, they might have adjusted if they'd each had a clearer idea of the personality traits of the other. But they rushed ahead and it ended badly.

Last edited:
I agree Mirabel. It was a complicated mess from the very beginning. Diana's innocence combined with Charles' pressure to produce an heir. The courtship was far too short, Diana was far too young and Charles was too weak to leave Camilla (his rock of support). As a result, it was not long before the foundations started cracking. A tragic part of history for the British monarchy.

I still think the match was organised by the older generation, and they should have had the integrity and knowledge to stop the match.

I find it unbelievable that nobody would have foreseen the Charles/Camilla situation which was certain to de-rail the Diana/Charles marriage...

Last night I watched for first time this film! and I like it!! Is another view of the story...and the end I was surprised! becuase any of role was the bad or victim... all the roles was like all the people are... All take a good and bad decisions that change our life and drag the life of others!

If want to see here the link

http://www.sockshare.com/file/FB4440CD8B5F0FD6#

Whatever decisions were made by Charles and Camilla after 1997 have nothing to do with Diana.

I still think the match was organised by the older generation, and they should have had the integrity and knowledge to stop the match.

I find it unbelievable that nobody would have foreseen the Charles/Camilla situation which was certain to de-rail the Diana/Charles marriage...

Both Diana and Charles wanted to call off the wedding in the week leading up to it - but their respective families pressured them to go ahead with the marriage - so there were at least two people who knew it wasn't right - the two principals but neither of them had the guts to stand up to their families - Charles too overawed by his father and how does he say 'no' to his monarch? and Diana whose family told her that she couldn't pull out now 'because your face is on all the tea-towels' hardly the comment of loving and caring family members but rather the shallow type of comment I would expect from a social climbing family or unloving family members who didn't care at all about their sister/daughter. Her mother was also not sold on the marriage - so that makes three.

Diana's mother and apparently her grandmother knew the match was doomed to failure. But once she said yes and made the engagement public there was nothing else they could do.
ALSO
This is a thread about the movie about Charles and Camilla, not about Charles and Diana's marriage.

The older generation looked at it in a much different way than the younger generation. As Charles entered her early 30's, the pressure on him to marry and find someone suitable for marriage increased each year and each day. Many of them didn't marry the person that they really loved in a lot of cases. Such was life. If it wasn't a love match, oh well, such is life.

If the husband strayed (sometimes with the forbidden love), his wife was supposed to just grin and bear it as such. Not make waves about it. This was the status quo until Diana came along. She couldn't do this. It was a very brave move on her part to do the 1995 interview in which she said Three's a Crowd."

Even if Charles didn't have an affair with Camilla, the fact that he still had contact with her years after they had broken up suggests he still had strong emotional ties to her.

I didn't see this movie but it would be interesting to see a movie where another viewpoint is presented.

Last edited:
I have seen the movie and didn't really care for it. The actress playing Diana captured her insecurity and emotionalism well, but I felt that she didn't convey the things that made Diana appealing to so many people.

Last night I watched for first time this film! and I like it!! Is another view of the story...and the end I was surprised! becuase any of role was the bad or victim... all the roles was like all the people are... All take a good and bad decisions that change our life and drag the life of others!

If want to see here the link

Whatever.Love.Means.2005.avi | SockShare

Thank you for posting the link. I have searched across the internet looking for where to watch this movie and I could never find it. First time I saw it I was stunned by how good it was and the different perception of Charles and Camilla. Princess Anne was quite a character in this movie, I love the way she was portrayed.

Thank you for posting the link. I have searched across the internet looking for where to watch this movie and I could never find it. First time I saw it I was stunned by how good it was and the different perception of Charles and Camilla. Princess Anne was quite a character in this movie, I love the way she was portrayed.

you're welcome, I wait that enjoy the film like me ;)

I thought the movie showed Camilla as a manipulative b*tch. Sorry for my language. Diana is portrait as a naive girl, Charles as a desperate man in love and Anne as a dry woman. I have to say, Anne is my favorite!

Back
Top Bottom