"Charles and Camilla: Whatever Love Means" (2005) - Granada Telemovie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will's princess said:
Hi. I think Whatever love means is on Dec 23 on ITV

It's on Wednesday 28th December at 21.00 hrs on ITV1!:)

ysbel said:
there was so much sugar, you risked diabetes or tooth decay just from watching it. They kept playing over the proposal scene in the previews and I just wanted to barf (or get an insulin shot).

There is no such thing as a one off Insulin shot. It is not the like the flu. :)

i watch that show at my grandma's house and i copy that tapes and that show really good movies

Skydragon said:
There is no such thing as a one off Insulin shot. It is not the like the flu. :)

Well, let's hope it isn't chronic either!;)

BeccaLynn07 said:
Hmm..interesting. Thanks for telling me a little about it. I'm a little surprised it would end with the marriage of him and Diana. I was expecting it to end with his marriage to Camilla for some reason...or something other than his marriage to Diana.

No one dare film Charles and Diana's marriage until all died I think not mentioning the sensitivity of Charles and Camilla's marriage. Biographies about them are all right but the film is too challenging and sensitive for the triangle. The truth is too hurtful and not everyone can accpet it. When they all died, people can reveal more truths about their lives. People will learn to see them more rationally.

Poor Diana. She entered in Charles's life in a really bad timing. After Lord Mounbatten's death, Charles seeked Camilla's consolation and they rekinded their love again and he was very indiscret during that period about his feeling about Camilla. Everyone in the circle knew that. Diana was unable to catch Charles's heart because it has already belonged to someone else. Camilla is probably destined to be Charles's love of his life from the beginning. It is a pity that they cannot make a marriage at the first stage.

Well - I watched it tonight. My mother's immediate reaction was 'more fool Diana' and I must say I agree. It was interesting to see Anne's role in the whole thing. Shocking acting in places - basically, a sentimental rehash of old information but it did explain a few bits and pieces. Not marvellous though. It was refreshing to see a TV Drama that portrayed Diana in an unflattering way - I'm fed up with these gooey rose-tinted dramas.

My thought on watching the scenes with Diana.....she never had a shot and never knew it. If anything..I felt a little more for her.

To me, it was a comedy from start to finish. What a pity they couldn't have at least attempted to get people with the right voices.

It's amazing how much they pretend they 'know' about what happened when it was just Charles and Camilla about, or even Andrew, Charles and Camilla.

They must have had very sensitive hearing to 'hear' or know anything that Princess Anne was supposed to have said to Charles or Camilla and Diana was certainly not stupid, as shown in this programme.

I don't believe for one moment it was an accurate portrayal of any of them or what happened!

Last edited:
I agree in part Skydragon - it took me quite a while to realise who Princess Anne was - I love the woman dearly but she isn't and never was a stunning beauty. The actress playing her really missed the voice etc. Charles wasn't too bad but Mountbatten was a joke - at first I thought he was supposed to be the Duke of Edinburgh.

The balcony scene was hilarious - several extras in pretty hats obviously supposed to be the Queen Mother etc.

The Diana portrayal. It was the same big hair, fluttery eyelashes and silly collars and I found the actress playing her was quite talented - she sounded like her and looked like her. If anything, this showed how silly Diana was to go through with the marriage she obviously knew would contain three people. It wasn't just the Camilla situation - they had absolutely nothing in common. She couldn't even hold a conversation with him. Everything about it should have told her no - personally, I think the idea of being Queen pushed her on to actually go through with it.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
I agree in part Skydragon - it took me quite a while to realise who Princess Anne was - I love the woman dearly but she isn't and never was a stunning beauty. The actress playing her really missed the voice etc. Charles wasn't too bad but Mountbatten was a joke - at first I thought he was supposed to be the Duke of Edinburgh.

The balcony scene was hilarious - several extras in pretty hats obviously supposed to be the Queen Mother etc.

Yes it took us quite some time to figure out the balcony scene, the only people we were sure about were Charles and Anne and only then because they were 'introduced' earlier.
It should have been billed as a work of fiction, with a fact or two put in.
We know Charles and Camilla were introduced to each other at a Polo match and they couldn't even get that right!:D

Did Charles give Camilla a bracelet inscribed with G and F? Was there any evidence that they called each other Gladys and Fred or was this 'fact' made up as well?

I believe Charles gave Camilla a bracelet and Camilla have him a pair of cufflinks both inscribed with F and G. I don't think was made up but alot of the programme was.

Thanks BeatrixFan. I read somewhere that G and F stood for something else but I can't remember what!!

Several sources (including Jonathan Dimbleby) refer to the GF as standing for "Girl Friday", the Prince's nickname for Camilla.

In fact I read both versions of this story repeatedly and maybe there are two meanings into it.

F + G meaning

F+G stand for Fred and Gladys. Charles and Camilla are fans of the "Goon show" and they turned it into nicknames for each other. During their affair when Charles sent things to Camilla he would sign it "Fred". That is documented.

Charles also did call Camilla "girl Friday".

Does anyone know what scenes weren't in the UK version? No one by chance has seen both versions? The American version which I saw was about 30 minutes longer. WE channel had additonal scenes added so it would be a standard 2 hr movie. And does anyone know how it did in the UK? Like how many people wathced it. i wonder when part 2 will filmed.

It was wierd watching it, it was watching something sort of true, but not. I didn't hate it but I think it could have been done a million times better. I didn't like that Camilla called herself a slut and that she basically said she was an idiot. But I like Camilla and I don't agree with those comments.

Ours may have been shorter because I don't think we get as many adverts as the Americans get. I agree cde, the way she spoke to Princess Anne etc was all a bit offish and I couldn't see it happening. Notice that hardly anyone upon first meeting bowed or curtseyed to either Charles or Anne.

cde said:
I didn't like that Camilla called herself a slut and that she basically said she was an idiot. But I like Camilla and I don't agree with those comments.

It seems to have been made as a headline grabber and I really don't think we can put any importance on what the writers would like us to believe was actually said, they were not there!

It is also worth remembering that in this programme the word slut was used to denote that Camilla was not fond of cleaning up or tidying things away.

Skydragon said:
It seems to have been made as a headline grabber and I really don't think we can put any importance on what the writers would like us to believe was actually said, they were not there!

It is also worth remembering that in this programme the word slut was used to denote that Camilla was not fond of cleaning up or tidying things away.

I've been a bit sick these past few days-as I was at home I managed to catch the C & C story-twice! I have to admit I liked it. It's cheesy and full of unlikely scenarios (Please someone tell me Charles and Camilla did not make out in front of her husband at some party-too gross), and the alleged conversations-some of it perhaps I could believe. Alot of it-not. Diana was made out to be a dimwit-that I do NOT believe. She called Charles "Sir" ALOT-to an annoying degree. C & C come off almost as schemers towards the end imo. There is a scene with Charles and his unloved Betrothed during a dinner at Camilla's home. Her husband Andrew in the scene-I read his uncomfortable expression as one who was very much aware of what C & C were cooking up for Diana-and he was finding it a bit unsavory-he seemed not cool for the unsuspecting Diana to be so deceived. The scenes with Princess Anne were surreal. I've read books about her at the time of her wedding to Capt. Mark Phillips-"The Princess Royal" I think was one. They seemed to at least LIKE each other a whole lot none of which is seen in this film.

I saw the movie twice and for a fantasy/entertainment I quite enjoyed it.

Diana was made out to be a dimwit-that I do NOT believe.
But you can't deny it's a possibility....

The scene where Charles and Camilla were dancing very intimately in front of a hall full of people was totally unrealistic.
the unsuspecting Diana
But that drama showed that Diana new exactly what was going on from day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeatrixFan said:
But you can't deny it's a possibility....
The scene where Charles and Camilla were dancing very intimately in front of a hall full of people was totally unrealistic.
But that drama showed that Diana new exactly what was going on from day one.
Actually I do deny the 'possibility' that Diana was a dimwit. We must agree to disagree.

You may pick and choose to believe what you like about this 'drama'. It seems anything anti-Diana is very true indeed-but not to me.

Actually I do deny the 'possibility' that Diana was a dimwit. We must agree to disagree.
She seemed pretty dense to me. All bulging eyes and fluttering eyelashes with very little brains. We do know that she couldn't hold a conversation and was generally a bit daft - people who met her have said how dim she seemed at times.
You may pick and choose to believe what you like about this 'drama'. It seems anything anti-Diana is very true indeed-but not to me
Well no dear. After all, Diana's infallibility was made law in 1997 and she was the saviour of the world as we know it. She couldn't possibly have done anything wrong.

BeatrixFan said:
She seemed pretty dense to me. All bulging eyes and fluttering eyelashes with very little brains. We do know that she couldn't hold a conversation and was generally a bit daft - people who met her have said how dim she seemed at times.

Lol! Please do not get me started on Camilla's 'looks' again.
Well no dear. After all, Diana's infallibility was made law in 1997 and she was the saviour of the world as we know it. She couldn't possibly have done anything wrong.
Did I ever in any thread say that Diana never did anything wrong 'dear'?

You know I think I am going to stop here. Happy New Year.

Happy New Year to you too - but not discussing the facts doesn't mean they aren't still there you know.

Would you two please sheathe the claws?

Thank you, dears.

With love from Elspeth - a confirmed dog person who doesn't much care for cat fights.

Queen Mary I said:
Please someone tell me Charles and Camilla did not make out in front of her husband at some party-too gross. There is a scene with Charles and his unloved Betrothed during a dinner at Camilla's home. Her husband Andrew in the scene-I read his uncomfortable expression as one who was very much aware of what C & C were cooking up for Diana-and he was finding it a bit unsavory-he seemed not cool for the unsuspecting Diana to be so deceived.
There is no documentation to show that Charles and Camilla 'made out' in front of Andrew. One of his girlfriends had a hissy fit when he didn't dote on her all evening, she didn't seem to understand that he had to circulate.
As for Andrews expression - It was just an actor, so you shouldn't read anything into his expression, although he was probably in pain at having to try to act in a fantasy programme.lol

The scenes with Princess Anne were surreal. I've read books about her at the time of her wedding to Capt. Mark Phillips-"The Princess Royal" I think was one. They seemed to at least LIKE each other a whole lot none of which is seen in this film.
I saw the movie twice and for a fantasy/entertainment I quite enjoyed it

Princess Anne and Mark Philips seemed to be very much in love, after all, she married him and he was hardly a 'catch'. The programme only showed Anne as dour and cynical, whereas she was quite a party girl, with a very sharp wit and a wicked sense of humour!

Skydragon- Andrew and the entire ball did see Charles and Camilla making out at a Cirencester polo ball in 1980. According to the story, the older people were pretty shocked. Andrew made a comment at the time about Charles liking his wife and his wife apparently liking Charles. I know "Camilla" by Rebecca Tyreel mentioned it and I think another book at least probably Penny Junor (I am not at home or I would mention better references)
But in 1980 they were carrying on their affair at that point pretty openly. Also Charles took Camilla to Africa- (I think Zimbabwe) for the handover in 1980. Andrew had been sent over there awhile ( i don't know how many months). And at the time no one knew if Camilla was going to see her husband or just going to be with Charles. The palace was not happy about it.
The reason I was annoyed about slut is that slut means slut in America. I think messy or untidy is a more British usage or definition. I totally agree with you about using it for ratings though. :)

cde said:
Skydragon- Andrew and the entire ball did see Charles and Camilla making out at a Cirencester polo ball in 1980. According to the story, the older people were pretty shocked.

Although not doubting that you have read this, I still maintain that unless we have the names of the people who 'saw' all this, it is probably, like a lot written about Camilla, fiction. As I said in another thread, dances can get very energetic at polo or hunt balls and sometimes you stay with a partner, for most of the dances, who can match your energy levels.

But in 1980 they were carrying on their affair at that point pretty openly. Also Charles took Camilla to Africa- (I think Zimbabwe) for the handover in 1980. Andrew had been sent over there awhile ( i don't know how many months). And at the time no one knew if Camilla was going to see her husband or just going to be with Charles.

Again that could just be phrased to make it appear that Camilla was abusing her husband when, in fact she was probably just taking advantage of a chance to see him. Even officers wives are not always allowed on a posting.

The reason I was annoyed about slut is that slut means slut in America. I think messy or untidy is a more British usage or definition. I totally agree with you about using it for ratings though. :)

It is very hard to look past what was written and actually realise the truth is a somewhat different story.
A young lad was telling us that his new girlfriend was a brilliant scrubber, we were shocked until we realised that we knew a different meaning after he went on to say, that his pots and pans had never been so clean!:D

Last edited:
What was that movie called about Charles and Diana where the actress playing Diana kept saying "Oh, Chuuurles!" In the honeymoon scene she moaned "Oh, Chuuurles-Come to BED!" Hysterical!:rolleyes: :p

To those of you who are interested: "Charles and Camilla: Whatever Love Means" is on the German TV (Bayrischer Rundfunk) on May 31st at 9.45 p.m.

Back
Top Bottom