The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #681  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: rotterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 118
I have just seen parts of the African documentary, it was on the dutch television What to say.
To me they seem all over the place. Complaining about the press, about being badly treated, about live being hard on them.
However I think also Catherine was not treated very well ( waity katie, lazy Kate etc) I have never heard her. I think you are going to lose the battle if you start complaining. Maybe once or so but not all the time.
Then they talk about environment: but why ?? Where does there passion come from, to me it seems that they speak out because it is fashionable. And they should practice what they preach. Now people are telling them they are hypocrites.
I feel sorry for them in a way.
I think I would keep silent for a while, seek a passion or a charity and get really knowledgeable about a certain subject. ( Think Willem Alexander and his watermanagement or laurentien and her fight against illiteracy) Give it all a rest and stop whinging in public.
__________________

  #682  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Only to confirm what I’ve thought all along about where Meghan’s priorities are, Victoria Arbiter says the interview has been well received in the US with Americans being ‘outraged’ over Meghan’s ‘treatment’ in the press.

The response in Britain has been markedly different. The Sussex documentary hasn’t been well received at all.

The problem is America isn’t a realm, they don’t have a say over our royal family
Whether or not America is Meghan's priority I have said said before and still agree that a large part of the "problem" is that Meghan's culture and instincts are American not British yet she has to keep the UK press and British people happy. This sort of speaking out is, I would suggest, considered 'the done thing' in America but in the UK its not what we expect people to do, especially not the Royals. I'm not saying necessarily that that is right but that is the expectation. Just as we expect the royals to live really rather quite lavish lifestyles but appear frugal in as many ways as possible. E.g the Queen who needs 10 members of staff to deliver her a cup of tea but who appears frugal by sending her son out to look for a lost dog collar. Its small idiosyncratic things like that which mark our "Britishness" and which, purely due to cultural reasons, grate on British people. Its rather like the way Americans tend to refer to the whole of the UK as England and the Queen as "The Queen of England" They make British people wince but similarly I'm sure Americans think we all moan about the weather and have terrible teeth. Its just part of our make up to not always understand what makes us different.

The documentary and the way it is being perceived so differently in the UK and USA shows that the cultural differences that have, I believe, contributed in part to the current issues H&M face with the media.
__________________

  #683  
Old 10-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You’re so right. Other senior royal women in the family have had a racist, sexist and xenophobic smear campaign launched against them.

I respect a lot of you guys on these royal forums, but y’all really need to wake up and smell the tea leaves brewing. Wake up and pull the wool from off your eyes and realize The Duchess of Sussex is going through something no other member of the royal family have gone through. This is entirely different.
Oh c' mon. Some " Folks" as you like to say, are so forgetful.

- Princess Michael was just panned by the Press in the late 70's, basically calling her a borderline Nazi sympatiser.
- Diana was publicy and shamelessely mocked for her eating disorders. It was even a running joke back in the 80's

https://youtu.be/nbyXIDox8ZM

- Sarah was publicy and more than once body shamed.
- Sophie was publicy humiliated with the fake sheik story.
- Camilla, for sure, was harassed and humiliated regularly.
- Kate ' s middle class roots were mocked, her appareance bashed ( Essex girl fake tan and hair extensions) and who can forget the " waity Katy" nickname.

So calling out every members on this board will not change the fact that, sadly, pretty every female members of the BRF had to fight, at some point, against rumors, bad publicity, harassment , sexism, agism ...

But another fact is with Meghan the social medias have now a good part in the narrative, for the worse.
  #684  
Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You’re so right. Other senior royal women in the family have had a racist, sexist and xenophobic smear campaign launched against them.

I respect a lot of you guys on these royal forums, but y’all really need to wake up and smell the tea leaves brewing. Wake up and pull the wool from off your eyes and realize The Duchess of Sussex is going through something no other member of the royal family have gone through. This is entirely different.
Hmmmmm....We are all entitled to our own thoughts and perspectives. :)
  #685  
Old 10-21-2019, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Only to confirm what I’ve thought all along about where Meghan’s priorities are, Victoria Arbiter says the interview has been well received in the US with Americans being ‘outraged’ over Meghan’s ‘treatment’ in the press.

The response in Britain has been markedly different. The Sussex documentary hasn’t been well received at all.

The problem is America isn’t a realm, they don’t have a say over our royal family

I don't see how the interview (mistake that it was - wrong place and wrong time) confirms anything about Meghan's "priorities." She was simply pointing out that as an American she wasn't prepared for Britain's tabloid press (powerful and often toxic and unethical as it is). Her British friends even warned her about it.

I see this as another reason why Americans respond differently to the interview than the British. The British are used to the tabloids and take them for granted. Americans don't (but of course there many other things we tolerate that the British wouldn't).

Graham Norton pointed this difference out himself: "In America you couldn’t do that. The New York Times or The Washington Post, if they get caught out there’s hell to pay. When I do an interview with an American newspaper, I get all these follow-up calls, asking, ‘Did you say this?’ and ‘Can you just verify the spelling of the surname of the person you mentioned?’ They’re really on it in the way that, no disrespect, we’re not on it here."

See "Toxic Telegraph made me feel nauseous, says Graham Norton"

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-graham-norton

Even many of the "royal reporters" aren't reporters in the truest sense. They mix news stories with gossip. They don't always double check their information for accuracy and they also don't issue retractions or apologies if the gossip they've reported is proven wrong.
  #686  
Old 10-21-2019, 08:23 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Whether or not America is Meghan's priority I have said said before and still agree that a large part of the "problem" is that Meghan's culture and instincts are American not British yet she has to keep the UK press and British people happy. This sort of speaking out is, I would suggest, considered 'the done thing' in America but in the UK its not what we expect people to do, especially not the Royals. I'm not saying necessarily that that is right but that is the expectation. Just as we expect the royals to live really rather quite lavish lifestyles but appear frugal in as many ways as possible. E.g the Queen who needs 10 members of staff to deliver her a cup of tea but who appears frugal by sending her son out to look for a lost dog collar. Its small idiosyncratic things like that which mark our "Britishness" and which, purely due to cultural reasons, grate on British people. Its rather like the way Americans tend to refer to the whole of the UK as England and the Queen as "The Queen of England" They make British people wince but similarly I'm sure Americans think we all moan about the weather and have terrible teeth. Its just part of our make up to not always understand what makes us different.

The documentary and the way it is being perceived so differently in the UK and USA shows that the cultural differences that have, I believe, contributed in part to the current issues H&M face with the media.
I am American and I have followed the British Royal Family for 40 years and I agree with you. I think that many people have only recently begun to follow the Royal Family due to Harry marrying an American, and many of those new followers are American. They don't understand how the Royal Family function or what the British people expect of their Royal Family. Even though they are not, I feel like they are my Royal Family too, and I want them to behave exactly as you described. What confuses me, though, is why is Harry acting like an American with all his public emoting? He should know better.
  #687  
Old 10-21-2019, 08:29 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Only to confirm what I’ve thought all along about where Meghan’s priorities are, Victoria Arbiter says the interview has been well received in the US with Americans being ‘outraged’ over Meghan’s ‘treatment’ in the press.

The response in Britain has been markedly different. The Sussex documentary hasn’t been well received at all.

The problem is America isn’t a realm, they don’t have a say over our royal family
Similar to Sarah and Diana, American sympathized with them and embraced them while Britain saw them as a problem (off and on with Diana). It's really sad that Meghan and Harry have gone a Diana route and want to air their laundry in public. America has no power over what the British press do
  #688  
Old 10-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Whether or not America is Meghan's priority I have said said before and still agree that a large part of the "problem" is that Meghan's culture and instincts are American not British yet she has to keep the UK press and British people happy. This sort of speaking out is, I would suggest, considered 'the done thing' in America but in the UK its not what we expect people to do, especially not the Royals. I'm not saying necessarily that that is right but that is the expectation. Just as we expect the royals to live really rather quite lavish lifestyles but appear frugal in as many ways as possible. E.g the Queen who needs 10 members of staff to deliver her a cup of tea but who appears frugal by sending her son out to look for a lost dog collar. Its small idiosyncratic things like that which mark our "Britishness" and which, purely due to cultural reasons, grate on British people. Its rather like the way Americans tend to refer to the whole of the UK as England and the Queen as "The Queen of England" They make British people wince but similarly I'm sure Americans think we all moan about the weather and have terrible teeth. Its just part of our make up to not always understand what makes us different.

The documentary and the way it is being perceived so differently in the UK and USA shows that the cultural differences that have, I believe, contributed in part to the current issues H&M face with the media.

I think you're right. I admire Meghan very much but in retrospect I sometimes wonder if she did too much too soon. I suspect she was eager to use her new position to promote the causes she cares deeply about (very admirable on her part) and jumped right in headfirst. But maybe it would've been better if she'd taken a few baby steps and accustomed herself to the British (and royal) way of doing things first. Try something out, wait for the reaction, then try something else, and wait for the reaction, etc. But I suppose then she might have been criticized for not doing enough. And she clearly wasn't prepared for the tabloid media.

I sometimes wonder how much guidance and advice the "new" royals receive. I was baffled when Meghan appeared with the Queen at a public event and didn't even know if she or the Queen should enter the car first. Didn't anyone think to go over that with her?
  #689  
Old 10-21-2019, 08:55 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I don't see how the interview (mistake that it was - wrong place and wrong time) confirms anything about Meghan's "priorities." She was simply pointing out that as an American she wasn't prepared for Britain's tabloid press (powerful and often toxic and unethical as it is). Her British friends even warned her about it.

I see this as another reason why Americans respond differently to the interview than the British. The British are used to the tabloids and take them for granted. Americans don't (but of course there many other things we tolerate that the British wouldn't).

Graham Norton pointed this difference out himself: "In America you couldn’t do that. The New York Times or The Washington Post, if they get caught out there’s hell to pay. When I do an interview with an American newspaper, I get all these follow-up calls, asking, ‘Did you say this?’ and ‘Can you just verify the spelling of the surname of the person you mentioned?’ They’re really on it in the way that, no disrespect, we’re not on it here."

See "Toxic Telegraph made me feel nauseous, says Graham Norton"

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-graham-norton

Even many of the "royal reporters" aren't reporters in the truest sense. They mix news stories with gossip. They don't always double check their information for accuracy and they also don't issue retractions or apologies if the gossip they've reported is proven wrong.
: standingupwithasalute: Haven't been proud to be an American for a long time....but this made me happy. I usually complain about TMZ and National Enquirer, but it could be worse.
  #690  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:06 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 31
I’m in the US and can believe that it’s an entirely different viewpoint, as our populace seems to thrive on trashy reality tv and the circus that is our government. However, I can honestly say I know very few people who care about any of this, let alone have a strong opinion. I’ve yet to hear anyone “outraged” over any sort of coverage aside from some celebrities. Likely most average citizens who do follow the BRF are getting their information from People magazine, which insisted on calling the Duchess of Cambridge “Princess Kate” until recently. While more respectable that most the tabloids, it’s really not hard-hitting news, and tends to view the BRF rather favorably.
  #691  
Old 10-22-2019, 06:55 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I think you're right. I admire Meghan very much but in retrospect I sometimes wonder if she did too much too soon. I suspect she was eager to use her new position to promote the causes she cares deeply about (very admirable on her part) and jumped right in headfirst. But maybe it would've been better if she'd taken a few baby steps and accustomed herself to the British (and royal) way of doing things first. Try something out, wait for the reaction, then try something else, and wait for the reaction, etc. But I suppose then she might have been criticized for not doing enough. And she clearly wasn't prepared for the tabloid media.

I sometimes wonder how much guidance and advice the "new" royals receive. I was baffled when Meghan appeared with the Queen at a public event and didn't even know if she or the Queen should enter the car first. Didn't anyone think to go over that with her?
Very good points.
I also think Meghan did too much too soon. She had the right intentions, she should have taken her time exactly as you say. Ok she might have been criticised for not doing enough as others have but it would have been better for her in the long run. Easing her in would have been a way to protect her.
  #692  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
When you're ready to stop the straw man tactics and actually address what we are saying I'll be waiting.



Similar to Sarah and Diana, American sympathized with them and embraced them while Britain saw them as a problem (off and on with Diana). It's really sad that Meghan and Harry have gone a Diana route and want to air their laundry in public. America has no power over what the British press do
XeniaCasaraghi,

I said what I had to say. The very idea that people are twisting all of this around and blaming the victim really sickens the hell out of me. Everybody and their mama can see this is a racist and xenophobic campaign against Meghan.

I’m not going to take part in downplaying, sugarcoat and just simply ignore what’s really going on here. At the end of the day, these are real people’s lives that people are playing around with. I don’t get too caught up in the petty hoopla over the royals wealth, titles, castles and royal roles and duties. They are human beings first and human beings shouldn’t be bullied. Period.

Place the blame where it belongs —ON THE BULLIES!!!
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #693  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Very good points.
I also think Meghan did too much too soon. She had the right intentions, she should have taken her time exactly as you say. Ok she might have been criticised for not doing enough as others have but it would have been better for her in the long run. Easing her in would have been a way to protect her.
I don't think that would have changed anything. If she had taken time to ease into things she would have been accused of being lazy and using taxpayer money on top of everything else.

I also don't think she has done too much, she has been able to really help some charities in the UK, it would be a shame that they would have missed out on that simply because the British media has no integrity.
  #694  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:15 AM
texankitcat's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
I don't think that would have changed anything. If she had taken time to ease into things she would have been accused of being lazy and using taxpayer money on top of everything else.

I also don't think she has done too much, she has been able to really help some charities in the UK, it would be a shame that they would have missed out on that simply because the British media has no integrity.
British media? I wasn’t aware that integrity is the goal of the media in any country these days. It’s all about politics, agendas and greed. I hope we can all agree on that.
  #695  
Old 10-22-2019, 09:03 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I think you're right. I admire Meghan very much but in retrospect I sometimes wonder if she did too much too soon. I suspect she was eager to use her new position to promote the causes she cares deeply about (very admirable on her part) and jumped right in headfirst. But maybe it would've been better if she'd taken a few baby steps and accustomed herself to the British (and royal) way of doing things first. Try something out, wait for the reaction, then try something else, and wait for the reaction, etc. But I suppose then she might have been criticized for not doing enough. And she clearly wasn't prepared for the tabloid media.

I sometimes wonder how much guidance and advice the "new" royals receive. I was baffled when Meghan appeared with the Queen at a public event and didn't even know if she or the Queen should enter the car first. Didn't anyone think to go over that with her?
I am asking myself, how could Meghan not be prepared for the tabloid media, marrying Diana's son? Her british friends warned her, she said. There are hundreds or thousands of examples out there what the british tabloids have done to people, if you do some research.
I think the problem was that Meghan tought it would not apply to her, successful as she was, marrying Dianas son and thought she knew how to handle being a Princess, a position that would put her virtues on a global stage, but forgetting about an audience that is not only on TV but in flesh. For british taste, she came across as really full of herself, Harry either didn't know better or was unable to reign her in. She either was immune to adivce or the rest of the BRF gave up/was reigned in by Harry/left it to him.
I think the BRF/their advisors will help, but if you put them off, either because you think you know better or don't like what they say because you think it's from another planet then they will let you hang out to dry.
  #696  
Old 10-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
For british taste, she came across as really full of herself
Not merely that, but to do 'woe is me' whilst standing in the 5th poorest Nation on the Planet, plays very badly.. it is that that has most be commented on, and not in her favour...
  #697  
Old 10-22-2019, 10:58 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Jersey City, United States
Posts: 47
I finally got to see the documentary and I have no issues with it. Harry and Meghan said what they said. To me it seems they have had enough and are going to fight back. Harry has made it clear he is going to fight for his family.

Something Meghan said that has stuck with me is when she said I expected criticism but I expected it to be fair. So the private planes, baby shower (again thrown by her friends) and whatever work related things you want to add fine. But straight (almost) out of compton, exotic blood, downfall of the monarchy, Archie a monkey, threats, etc. Not to mention a family, with the exception of Doria, is problematic. That, imho, is not fair. Meghan cannot change the fact she was an actress, she has some famous friends, she is American, she doesn't come from a perfect family and she is Black.

It seems a portion of the tabloids want to punish her for being herself. The only way this is going to end is The Queen of Charles will have to make a very strong exception to never complain, never explain. Meghan leaves Harry. Then the tabloids can write forever about how much damage Meghan did.
  #698  
Old 10-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 517
I have seen the "African Journey" now and what the reporter was doing, that was simple british documentary craftsmanship: To reveal the person behind the persona.

And either Maghan and Harry were not prepared for it, not briefed enough... I don't know: The did not make a "Bella Figura".

They came across as self-pitying somehow...

I mean everybody looks good and like a person with a heart, who volunteers to visit a township and mine-victims and so on. But every time the reporter turned the interviews into something personal, they made a very insecure, unprepared impression.
  #699  
Old 10-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 677
I have said it before on these forums, I liked and still like Meghan, but that does not mean I am blind to some of the mis steps that her and Harry have taken.
I am not going to re hash old stories, I have brexit to worry about ( that is a joke by the way ) but they have not been perfect and have received criticism, so much of which could have been avoided.
Everything they touch turns into a drama, followed by negative publicity.
I hope they are unaware of anybody speaking to CNN on their behalf. The comment is probably what some people think maybe even say but not to be made by them or anybody speaking on their behalf.
  #700  
Old 10-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,539
Closed for Moderator review
__________________

__________________
JACK
Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of sussex, haakon vii, maud, meghan markle, olav v


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Movies, TV Shows and Documentaries about Diana, Princess of Wales Josefine The Electronic Domain 146 10-21-2020 08:38 AM
Monaco Princely Family Documentaries and DVDs sandee The Electronic Domain 59 09-08-2020 06:14 AM
Germanic Houses, Austria & Russia: films, DVDs, documentaries Katie The Electronic Domain 59 10-21-2016 08:00 PM
Royalty of France: movies, DVDs, documentaries principessa The Electronic Domain 29 09-13-2015 06:08 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baptism biography bridal gown british royal family brownbitcoinqueen canada carolin cht clarence house coronavirus countess of snowdon customs dna dubai duke of sussex dutch royal family emperor fantasy movie general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf historical drama history hochberg house of windsor introduction jewelry jumma kent languages line of succession list of rulers luxembourg mail mary: crown princess of denmark nepalese royal family northern ireland norway palestine popularity prince constantijn princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita queen consort queen elizabeth ii royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown russian court dress settings startling new evidence stuart swedish queen thailand tips tradition united kingdom united states of america von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×