The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I donít get these lines of thinking. The Cambridges and Sussexes promote a mental health campaign yet we want them to do the opposite of what they encourage? Also when someone of privilege takes their life the first thing people say is ďI wish they spoke up! Everyone hurts!Ē and yet when they do that privilege is thrown in their face and they are told to suck it up and deal. Dangerous message.
But their situation isn't impossible. They are free to give up their titles and privileges anytime they want, no one is forcing them to lead a public life. In fact, the way things are going, I think an increasing number of the British public would be glad to see the back of them.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I donít get these lines of thinking. The Cambridges and Sussexes promote a mental health campaign yet we want them to do the opposite of what they encourage? Also when someone of privilege takes their life the first thing people say is ďI wish they spoke up! Everyone hurts!Ē and yet when they do that privilege is thrown in their face and they are told to suck it up and deal. Dangerous message.
And if they were to do that, the same people would say, they preach about mental heath and speaking up, but don't apply it to themselves. They are hypocrite, like they did when it was about the environment and climate change.
damned if you do and damned if you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
But their situation isn't impossible. They are free to give up their titles and privileges anytime they want, no one is forcing them to lead a public life. In fact, the way things are going, I think an increasing number of the British public would be glad to see the back of them.
It turned out so well for a divorced Diana without HRH. The tabloids did back off for sure, because she had become a private citizen

Old 10-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Nobility

My takeaways from the documentary and after:

*Harry is not going to be bullied into playing a game with people who do not have his family's best interest at heart.

*Meghan does not believe that she is above criticism and has blatantly said that if she does something wrong she will be the first to admit it and apologize.

*That being Meghan isn't here for the lies and untruths told by the media.

*Harry & Meghan are willing to put themselves on the line to do the right thing (hold the wayward media accountable for their actions) and in doing so give others who are being bullied hope they can push back against their bullies.

*They both really enjoy the work they do and helping others and seeing them flourish.

*Meghan and Harry are good parents who have taken a hands-on approach to raising little Archie....who seemed well adjusted in his new environment.

*Some will use anything to justify the mistreatment and dehumanization of others, especially if it either lines their pockets with money or pushes someone they don't feel should be in the royal family out.

*Many in the British media (and some of the public, BRF) can talk the talk all day long (expressing the importance of good mental health) but can't walk the walk (put that importance into action...support people who are struggling).

*(I've known this one for a while but it was reinforced) life isn't always what it appears to be and an individual can struggle whether they are privileged or poor.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post
It turned out so well for a divorced Diana without HRH. The tabloids did back off for sure, because she had become a private citizen
I assume this was sarcasm?
Old 10-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
But they are unhappy with the current situation anyway. At least if they didn't have taxpayers money and royal obligations they could do whatever they wanted without being answerable to anyone. I also think they would get a lot more peace living in the USA if that is where they eventually end up.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
No, just pointing out facts. The poster i responded to, implied that, it is easy, the sussexes just have to give up their titles and situation, and the tabloids will live them alone. I am just saying that diana after her divorce was in essence a private citizen, yet the hounding was even worse, and we all know the end.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
My thoughts on the documentary run along two parallel lines. On the one hand, I came away with a huge amount of real compassion for Meghan--which I already had, but I really, really felt for her. She obviously had no idea what she was getting in to, and equally obviously still has no idea where or why she got off on the wrong foot. As a side note, I remember when Harry and Meghan announced their engagement, there was lots of discussion on this forum with some of us wondering if she really had grasped what she was getting into, and there were many responses along the lines of she's an intelligent woman, she's not stupid, she's a professional, etc., etc. The concerns were valid, clearly.

I found that I had much less sympathy for Harry. I am very puzzled as to why Meghan and Harry thought that talking about all of these personal things was a good idea, and what they expected the end result to be. When you put information out into the public arena, it is all too easy to lose control of the narrative. Harry of all people should know that. If the idea was to garner sympathy from the masses, then I suppose mission accomplished. But both of them put out details, emotions, and on Harry's part, insights into the private relationships of the family that are no one else's business, but are now out in the public domain to be picked over, discussed, criticized and mocked. And Harry did that without William's consent or foreknowledge, which is an egregious breach of trust in my book.

While they both discussed their work on the SA tour, what the documentary will be remembered for is the personal stuff, the vulnerabilities, the emotional pain, the anger. It's another decision from the Sussexes that shows they are not thinking long term or strategically, it's all emotion. In a lot of ways, it does seem very Panorama 2.0 to me.

I also think that Harry might want to rethink his so called friendship with Tom Bradby, because I doubt either Harry or Meghan would have been so unguarded with anyone else, and I doubt very much if the end results of the documentary are going to serve the Sussexes well in the long run. It is just feeding in to what is becoming the perpetual cycle of drama attached to the Sussexes.

The tour was a full on success. Their hard work has not been lost.

I think Harry and Meghan had no other choice but to speak out about the smear campaign. Their truth had to come out, because leave it to the outside forces and some folks online — you’d think the royal couple are lying about the mistreatment they’re getting.

There’s an effort by some in the press and some online to simply ignore the fact of the smear campaign that’s been launched against Meghan. They see it as everyday criticism. Nothing out of the ordinary. And then, there’s an effort by some of the press and some online who acknowledge the smear campaign, but say it’s all Meghan’s fault. She’s shouldn’t be too different and she should try being like the other white women in the royal family. They feel like if she was more like them, she wouldn’t be getting this campaign.

Look:
Meghan was never going to be treated fairly by the some in the outside forces and some online. Although Meghan hit the ground running with embracing her new royal life and royal duties and she hasn’t put a foot wrong — some can’t get over the fact that she’s black, she’s American, she’s a former actress, she have a couple of famous friends, she’s a proud feminist and she’s comfortable in who she is as a person. She was never going to get a fair shake at this.

Everything about Meghan is being used against her and being used to abuse her. Just her daring to speak out about this abuse get under people’s skin. It’s as if they want her to shut the hell up and take the abuse like a champ, because she’s deserving of it. She’s too damn different, and for that, she must be punished.

I just find this whole thing sad, depressing and downright maddening.

People have claimed to have liked Prince Harry for years. They say they like his warmth, kindness and approachable nature. When Harry is around kids, his fans go nuts and they say they love to see him happy. The love seems to have its limits though. Harry’s choice of wife is being fully rejected by the very people who claim they love to see him happy.

Harry is in such a good place in his personal life. He’s found a woman that not only love him unconditionally, but a woman who’s willing to take on the royal role. He’s even more happy that this woman gave him a child he has craved for so long. He has built a beautiful family for himself and a family he must now protect. Sure he’s still dealing with some inner struggles with coping with the death of his mother, but it’s obvious he’s dealing with it the best way he can.

The mass rejection of Harry’s wife from parts of the outside forces and some people online is causing this couple a lot of pain and causing a lot of this ruckus we’re seeing.

Personally I think people have to check those deep prejudices and leave that stuff at the door and get rid this form old school of thinking of what a senior royal wife should be like. I also think the royal family and palace officials need to get a hold of this situation by dropping this old school British stiff upper lip and tell the press to back off and let them know their behavior towards the Duchess is totally unacceptable.

In other words — THIS SMEAR CAMPAIGN MUST STOP. If this campaign continues, it will have a devastating impact of Harry and Meghan’s marriage and on her royal role as a senior member of the royal family. Who in their right mind would want that? Why do people think that would be good for Harry, Meghan, Archie and the Monarchy?

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Quote:
No, just pointing out facts. The poster i responded to, implied that, it is easy, the sussexes just have to give up their titles and situation, and the tabloids will live them alone. I am just saying that diana after her divorce was in essence a private citizen, yet the hounding was even worse, and we all know the end.
As you explain in your reply, the tabloids did not back off--if anything they were worse than they had been before the divorce. But Diana herself sometimes created the headlines--I still remember the teaser to the press about two weeks before her death--"You will be surprised what I will do next."
Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Letís be realistic here. Even if they did the press would still attack them. They are still who they are and will always be. That doesnít change the fact that privileged people can also hurt and telling them their pain is less than is not okay.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

With each passing day I am disliking this couple more and more.

First of all ALOT of their issues seem to be self-inflicted. Like petulant children, they seem to get upset and throw tantrums when the press criticizes them.

Secondly, what happened to "Tungsten Meghan" who does not read anything the press says? Also her performance of "no one ever asking if she is ok" is a downright lie. Serena Williams has gone on air to discuss her relationship with Meghan. Serena has commented that she is of good support to Meghan and how she is always checking in to see if Meghan is ok.
Furthermore Meghan's comments reflects negatively of the royal family as if she has received no help or support when on the contrary she has either rejected the advice or refused to listen to it.

Things are really bad for this couple. If things continue at this rate strong decisions will have to be made.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Speaking up does not have to mean speaking to the Press and doing unnecessary damage to familial relationships and to The Firm. Speaking up means speaking to friends, families, trusted allies and perhaps, where appropriate, a therapist.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Speaking up does not have to mean speaking to the Press and doing unnecessary damage to familial relationships and to The Firm. Speaking up means speaking to friends, families, trusted allies and perhaps, where appropriate, a therapist.

Agreed.

What I understand the least is Harryís decision to basically acknowledge issues with William. He needed to either shut it down entirely or make it a condition of the interview to not discuss their current relationship. Because now a subject that had largely fallen off the headlines- is dominating media everywhere. Thatís not good for anyone. I donít get it. He should have known better imo.

I donít think this documentary un- does their good work in Africa, but in deciding to mix personal and professional, they insured the conversation afterwards would be about private matters. I donít get that. It invited more scrutiny on them too.

I wonder if one of the things that shocked Meghan was the relentlessness of the attacks. Iím not an expert on British vs American media- but US media tends to focus on someone for a few weeks- good or bad- and move on. Itís not years of relentless pounding.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Some of you guys are falling for the media spin.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Nobility

Wow. Quite the documentary.

Refraining from emphasizing your emotions and problems in a filmed interview doesn't signal repression; it's just good business sense. The interview is your job. H&M made a bad call here IMO.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
But they are unhappy with the current situation anyway. At least if they didn't have taxpayers money and royal obligations they could do whatever they wanted without being answerable to anyone. I also think they would get a lot more peace living in the USA if that is where they eventually end up.
They are unhappy with the bullying from the media. Why is everyone expecting the victims to give up their jobs/titles because of bullying, instead of holding the bullies responsible for their actions?

It was noted on twitter than in the month of May 2019 there were over 400 articles written about Meghan....who was on maternity and wasn't doing anything but taking care of herself and her newborn and yet the media somehow found ways to disparage her.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Agreed.

What I understand the least is Harryís decision to basically acknowledge issues with William. He needed to either shut it down entirely or make it a condition of the interview to not discuss their current relationship. Because now a subject that had largely fallen off the headlines- is dominating media everywhere. Thatís not good for anyone. I donít get it. He should have known better imo.

I donít think this documentary un- does their good work in Africa, but in deciding to mix personal and professional, they insured the conversation afterwards would be about private matters. I donít get that. It invited more scrutiny on them too.

I wonder if one of the things that shocked Meghan was the relentlessness of the attacks. Iím not an expert on British vs American media- but US media tends to focus on someone for a few weeks- good or bad- and move on. Itís not years of relentless pounding.
The attacks on Meghan has been absolutely ďrelentless.Ē She didnít expect that and she probably thought the family she married into and their aides would help deal with it. Instead, thereís been nothing but pure silence from Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace. They left her to be eaten alive by the outside forces and has given them, and folks on social media, the energy to do and say exactly what they want about Meghan.

Now folks are mad that Meghan is upset over the smear campaign and that Harry chose to hit back in his statement. Basically the abused are being abused twice over.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
H&M made a bad call here IMO.

I could not agree more. It is one of a series of bad calls made by H&M in the last year or so.

And it all seems to futile. They come across as a couple who mean well, but they continue to score these own goals. One can only hope they retreat from speaking / communicating with the press for some time, spend a little time identifying the most effective way for them to progress the issues that matter most to them, getting some good advice from Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and the Queen, repair their relationships with the Cambridge's, and get back to work. Once the work starts to speak for itself, the narrative with the Press will change once and for all.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
They are unhappy with the bullying from the media. Why is everyone expecting the victims to give up their jobs/titles because of bullying, instead of holding the bullies responsible for their actions?

It was noted on twitter than in the month of May 2019 there were over 400 articles written about Meghan....who was on maternity and wasn't doing anything but taking care of herself and her newborn and yet the media somehow found ways to disparage her.
I'm sorry, you call it bullying but a LOT of it has been justified criticism.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
To me the real question is, how does it matter if there is negative press? They are not facing an election in a few years. Just focus on your family and your work, the press narrative will turn around. Look no further than Prince Philip, Charles, Camilla and Anne: they have all successfully turned a very hostile press environment around through steadfastly serving the people and their chosen causes.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The attacks on Meghan has been absolutely “relentless.” She didn’t expect that and she probably thought the family she married into and their aides would help deal with it. Instead, there’s been nothing but pure silence from Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace. They left her to be eaten alive by the outside forces and has given them, and folks on social media, the energy to do and say exactly what they want about Meghan.

Now folks are mad that Meghan is upset over the smear campaign and that Harry chose to hit back in his statement. Basically the abused are being abused twice over.
Not that old story again, please! Here the evil institution of the mighty monarchy and its intrigues and there a poor, innocent little girl, "eaten alive". as you put it!

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of sussex, haakon vii, maud, meghan markle, olav v