The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2019, 06:50 PM
Majesty

See the problem with a ‘Harry and William’ rift does nothing but damage the Firm.

The BRF isn’t a democracy, it’s a top down hierarchy where everyone has to know their place.

This airing of laundry in public is very unbecoming

Old 10-20-2019, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Articles in print media? Or opinion pieces on blogs? Those are two different things but posters on TRF are treating them as though they are the same thing. There have been some eyebrow raising references in print media, but they tend to be fairly few and far between, and are justifiably called out.

Opinion pieces on blogs run the gamut from vicious to gushingly positive, but they are only someone's personal opinions. None of them are "the media," and I think it is really important at this point to begin to parse out where the most objectionable, toxic stuff is coming from. If you lump it all in together, you're left imploring everyone to just be nicer, when in reality print media might be held accountable for grossly inaccurate reporting or illegal actions, and social media and blogs most likely need to just be ignored.
Exactly what I have observed. I have far seen more damage to Harry and Meghan done on social media from both supporters and detractors than I have by the articles themselves. I don’t think Harry and Meghan understand by the wording they are using to garner more sympathy and support has the potential to make things much worse for Meghan.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:53 PM
Courtier

Those claiming that reports of Harry confirming a rift with William are "twisting his words" either did not watch the documentary or do not want to see what is in front of them. He could not have confirmed it more clearly if he had pulled out a tape recorder and played the argument that started it all.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I've now seen (parts of) the documentary and have seen the part where Harry talks about William. Yes he does not "attack him" nor does he say they are arguing, but anyone with half a brain about how the press works would have known anything other than acting surprised at the very notion of a rift would be taken as confirmation it happened. Harry did not choose the words he knew would dampen it down, he chose words he must have known would make it seem to be true.

TBH I prefer the royals to stay quiet on personal matters, I'm not saying they have to bottle everything up at all, just that they shouldn't air private thoughts on public tv.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I also remember when William spoke about the "British stiff upper lip" and mentioned how he also found it troubling because... and I quote... "We are not robots."

Short memories.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I've now seen (parts of) the documentary and have seen the part where Harry talks about William. Yes he does not "attack him" nor does he say they are arguing, but anyone with half a brain about how the press works would have known anything other than acting surprised at the very notion of a rift would be taken as confirmation it happened. Harry did not choose the words he knew would dampen it down, he chose words he must have known would make it seem to be true.

TBH I prefer the royals to stay quiet on personal matters, I'm not saying they have to bottle everything up at all, just that they shouldn't air private thoughts on public tv.
Wise words, tommy. These are two men that have been brothers... well.. for all of Harry's life. Like any close and intimate relationships, there are always going to be the "I love you dearly but I really, really don't like you too much right now" times. Whether its personal between the two men or as partners in a foundation or because one of them woke up on the wrong side of the bed among a bazillion other possible reasons, its *human nature* No one, and I do mean no one, gets along with someone else 100% of the time in a close and loving relationship.

For the public to treat it as a dire calamity that is going to bring down the House of Windsor and the monarchy and possibly cause the end of the world as we know it, shows me that some people either actually have too much time on their hands, revel in the reputed discord and misery and animosity between people they don't really know or have a deep seated passion to create and cause tension and discord within the people that pay attention to the Windsors.

Personally, I'm with you, tommy, that their personal relationships should remain just that and not be fodder for public consumption to debate, discuss and speculate on until the cows come home. (Still wondering where those cows go in the first place). But then again, the "fifth estate" is counting on this kind of thing to perhaps create a full blown "War of the Wales: The Sequel".
Old 10-20-2019, 07:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I also remember when William spoke about the "British stiff upper lip" and mentioned how he also found it troubling because... and I quote... "We are not robots."

Short memories.
Yes, yes, he did. People forget the royals are real people.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Royal Highness

Yep. When CNN picks up the rift with William line it's bad. This will resurrect the Cambridge vs Sussex gossip but the angle is now on House Cambridge. Right after the Pakistan tour too.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Spinning or not, nobody can honestly believe that tearing up in front of the camera, using emotional body language or complaining/self pity will change anything for the better. Not when at the same time lots of other actions don't add up. Not sure who or if anyone is advising them, but to use a best buddy to do a sentimental documentary during a royal tour that will totally deflect from the original aim of that tour is one of the worst ideas somebody could come up with.

I don't know. They are trying to reach the public directly and to share how they really feel with those who are interested. So that the tabloids are simply not longer needed. And it really might work for them.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

But I was referring to the many decisions made by the Sussexes, both individually and collectively, that have helped bring them to this unhappy place.

The pre-engagement VF interview that MM gave discussing their relationship (" we are incredibly happy...this is our time") was foolish and inexplicable. What was the point??

I have already mentioned the baby shower and the christening.

The rift with the Cambridges, whether real or imagined, has been laid squarely at the Sussex doorstep..with "Yoko" Markle believed to be the driving force. Harry should have swallowed his pride and dealt aggressively to counter it since it's his side that was catching hell.

Greenlighting your "anonymous" friends to speak to PEOPLE magazine on your behalf as Meghan apparently did was also ill advised, imo.

These are a few of the examples of unforced errors I was referring to.
This right here!!! MM and Harry have made some bad decisions choosing to do things differently when dealing with the media which has helped bring them to this place. Meghan should never have spoken to VF! Royal gfs stay quiet and don't use their famous boyfriend's to get a magazine cover. This was the start of them acting more like celebrities and less like royals; things are beginning to pile up and it doesn't look good. I pray and hope that Harry and Meghan will eventually learn like Edward and Sophie did that if they want to represent the Queen it's best to do so in a certain way and not make too much of a fuss.
Also please stop using the "r" word or this thread will get locked again.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Yep. When CNN picks up the rift with William line it's bad. This will resurrect the Cambridge vs Sussex gossip but the angle is now on House Cambridge. Right after the Pakistan tour too.

Yeah. I just saw that.

No one gets along all the time, but Harry did seem to acknowledge that there are some on-going issues between them- and at least some of them relate to the family business from what he said. That doesn’t mean they’re constantly arguing or not speaking. But “different paths” kind of sounds like there are some on- going differences of opinion.

The thing with acknowledging this is- this is now the big story. Not all the good things the Sussexes are doing. I really like Harry and Meghan. I’m not sure it’s wise to be too candid about private family matters- even though I think it’s been fairly obvious that William and Harry have had some fundamental disagreements.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I don't know. They are trying to reach the public directly and to share how they really feel with those who are interested. So that the tabloids are simply not longer needed. And it really might work for them.
Really?

Quote:
The shocking thing was Harry and Meghan weren't talking about luckless Africans they met who have struggled so long and so hard to overcome their ill-fated lot in life. They were talking about themselves.
On the banks of a nameless river deep in the veldt, Harry talked emotionally to the ITV cameras of his difficulties.
A sense of duty... but respect has to be earned: JAN MOIR says Harry and Meghan's grovelling documentary could damage their cause
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Journey.html
Old 10-20-2019, 08:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Those claiming that reports of Harry confirming a rift with William are "twisting his words" either did not watch the documentary or do not want to see what is in front of them. He could not have confirmed it more clearly if he had pulled out a tape recorder and played the argument that started it all.
I just finished watching the documentary on you tube and completely agree with you.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:25 PM
Gentry

I think people are blowing up this rift story. It sounds like they are a normal family. Families sometimes have issues. They don't always get along. Plus, both these men are so busy, I can't imagine when they would have time to see each other. Harry knows that William will always have his back and he will have Williams. That's what important!
Old 10-20-2019, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Are William and Kate still on tour for the Queen? Now these personal comments will take attention away from the good they are doing. Them making personal comments and crying in public doesn't help them imo; it's them being defensive when they need to be on the offensive.
I'm worried about all this, Meghan seems to have only one family member in her corner, Harry is apparently pulling away from his family, both of them are being far too open about the stress they are under. The last royals who did that were Diana and Sarah.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:36 PM
Courtier

I'm with those who believe the Sussexes should not be airing their feelings to the press, no matter how hard things are – it will only make things worse. And of course Meghan is American and has not been brought up the same way. I have nothing against Meghan, she appears to be a lovely woman, inside and out, but she just wasn't prepared. Even with her level of 'celebrity' which let's face it was pretty low compared to the so-called A-list, has not prepared her for the depth of vitriol she (and Harry) have faced. I feel for them, I really do, but I believe they're only making things worse for themselves. Let's not forget other members of the BRF, especially the Yorks, have had knives thrown at them from all directions; it's not just the Sussexes. It's a part – a terrible part (and it shouldn't happen) – of being part of the RF. And it will always be there; there's no escaping.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
I think people are blowing up this rift story. It sounds like they are a normal family. Families sometimes have issues. They don't always get along. Plus, both these men are so busy, I can't imagine when they would have time to see each other. Harry knows that William will always have his back and he will have Williams. That's what important!

Thing is- the second Harry acknowledged it publicly- it was going to be blown up. It just was.

I think they have on- going issues from what he said- but they’re family/supportive of each other ie- they’re not estranged.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Majesty

The practical truth is however that, with this documentary, Harry and Meghan turned what was a very successful African tour into an endless discussion on sense of entitlement, family rifts, being out of touch, etc

It is not quite Panorama 2.0 yet ( not least because much of what was actually said was overblown and exaggerated by the media ) , but I can’t see the Queen or the Palace being happy or on board with that
Old 10-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Serene Highness

I think the documentary highlighted their work in South Africa very well personally. And for people watching, they will yes take away the personal but will also have learned about their work, the work the UK government is doing in the region and the charities.

People CAN walk and talk at the same time. Even if the media can't or won't.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:45 PM
Nobility

Harry & Meghan worked hard & the SA tour was very successful. The work with the charities they gave attention to will continue. The U.K. press have their own agenda, just as they did last year after a successful Oceania tour. The press sabotaged it & started malicious rumours about Meghan. There was no concern for her wellbeing or her then unborn baby.

Were the Queen & the palace onboard with relentless bullying of a pregnant woman? What the palace should be concerned with now is that the public sees there has been more support & protection for other members, but not a recent postpartum mum.

Many ordinary people expressed happiness in SA that for the 1st time they were able to relate to a member of the BRF because Meghan’s background was similar to theirs. The palace may not care or be out of touch with how important that is, but in the near future a lot of good will be gone because of it.

Tags
duchess of sussex, haakon vii, maud, meghan markle, olav v