The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2019, 05:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
I think the question Duke of Marmalade is asking is not whether or not Meghan has endured some horrific bullying but whether or not Meghan is playing up her hurt for the cameras. It isn't inherently wrong, nor is it bullying, to point out that she was a successful actress when questioning whether or not this documentary is part of a larger spin operation. That falls in the same category as questioning the timing and the selection of Bradby to conduct the interviews.

As to the larger point of whether or not H&M will eventually just chuck it all in and quit the BRF... I think Harry would kidding himself to think that giving up the HRH status will make the intrusive tabloid press go away. They are always and forever going to be interested in him, his life, and his family. It is what it is. Moving to the US or Africa is not going to change the vultures from surrounding them.
What the Duke of Marmalade is saying that folks think because Meghan was an actress, she’s incapable of real feelings. I think that’s just ridiculous.

This couple isn’t trying to spin a trick before us. They’re being real and candid and honest about their work and feelings about the smear campaign. The only spin that’s going on is folks trying to downplay what’s really going on here. That’s just wrong, silly and a game for kids. People just need to grow the hell up and realize this stuff is real and about real people. Not about some made up characters in a play.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Majesty

The sniping of the tabloid press at Meghan began long long before Archie's birth. It began when Harry and Meghan were dating and has continued ever since. Social media has been poisonous towards this couple since the beginning, and unfortunately some tabloid articles have trawled those sources to get dirt. Not to mention the payment to ex friends for memories/photos etc, and tryng for statements from ex boyfriends and ex husband.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

I have not finished watching it yet, but its alarming to, in real time, see Chris Ship spinning every word on Twitter. Reading in things that Meghan never said. How disappointing.

What I've seen so far to me tells a very different story then the "they are overwrought and mentally unwell/hysterical" story the press was pushing. They seem concerned, but focused.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Chris Ship is the royal correspondent for the network carrying the documentary.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I haven't watched the documentary (And there may well be a thread for it but I can't see it atm) but I will say that at the moment a lot of the newspaper websites are carrying the view Harry basically confirmed a rift between him and William.

Whatever else (and I'm not brushing it aside I'm just not going there with media etc) that headline is bad for the monarchy and I think shows that H&M are operating to some degree outside of the main RF / BP team.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorop View Post
I may change my tune after the documentary has screened, but for now, my sympathies are with Harry and Meghan. The only problem is, the issue goes beyond traditional press. For example, there will be an article in the Daily Mail about an event, and nothing negative is said in the article. But the comments section will be full of vitriol. Then there are the message boards that are much less polite than this one, and Tumblrs, Instagrams and Twitter pages that are set up specifically to dump on Harry & Meghan. It creates a narrative that the couple is disliked, which then can become fodder for actual news stories or opinion pieces in the press. There's no way to control those social media pages, except for newspapers possibly moderating or eliminating their comment sections.
Thank you for explicitly explaining exactly what the "fifth estate" is.

Welcome to the zoo... errrm The Royal Forums. We're a good bunch here and we don't bite. Much.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I have not finished watching it yet, but its alarming to, in real time, see Chris Ship spinning every word on Twitter. Reading in things that Meghan never said. How disappointing.

What I've seen so far to me tells a very different story then the "they are overwrought and mentally unwell/hysterical" story the press was pushing. They seem concerned, but focused.
How is he spinning every word? I looked at his twitter feed and so far all I'm seeing is stuff that they both actually said, at least according to the video clips and the Guardian article I read. Could you please point out the discrepancies? It would be much appreciated.

Edited to add:

It's pretty clear that there is some kind of rift/coolness/something between Harry and William.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Whatever else (and I'm not brushing it aside I'm just not going there with media etc) that headline is bad for the monarchy and I think shows that H&M are operating to some degree outside of the main RF / BP team.
Yup I’m watching it now and it seems the Sussexes aren’t happy with the structure within the BRF
Old 10-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Yes, and? What does that have to do with anything I said? He is still taking things wildly out of context. An MP just called him out for it.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes, and? What does that have to do with anything I said? He is still taking things wildly out of context. An MP just called him out for it.
Ah yes and that M.P. is who? It’s amazing how people decide something is out of ‘context’ when Harry says something in his own words. The documentary is out there for everyone to see.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Because Harry said "we are on different paths, but I love my brother dearly and support him and he supports me too and we always will support each other"

Not the part Chris highlighted.

Just one example.

I am not disputing the rift, I think its clear they had a fight. But the message overall is that they still love AND support each other. The papers want to bury that part and Chris wants to as well.
Were there other things that you thought were distorted in the Twitter feed?

The read on the "different paths" quote I thought was predictable, since it was as much his body language and hesitation that made it look as though he was equivocating. He didn't say "What nonsense, I don't know where people get these ridiculous notions," which is probably what it would have taken to squash the idea that there was something up between the two of them.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wow, that was not only a beautiful documentary that highlighted the people Harry and Meghan came across on this groundbreaking royal tour, but Harry and Meghan really opened up about their love, Archie and the smear campaign.

I’m not joking when I say this, but my eyes filled with water and I had to swallow hard a couple of times.

South Africa is so beautiful and the people are too. The work that the Sussexes are doing isn’t great and there’s still so much to do. I know they’re dedicated to their roles and duties and will continue to do some great things within Africa in the future.

I just wish people just took to the time to understand where the couple is coming from on dealing with the lies and nastiness within this campaign. It’s just wrong what’s being done to them and I’m going to do whatever I can to call out this campaign and I’ll do it for them, the Cambridge’s and for anyone else who’s being bullied beyond belief. I know I get on people’s nerves, but I’m going to continue to fight against bullying.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-20-2019, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Wow, that was not only a beautiful documentary that highlighted the people Harry and Meghan came across on this groundbreaking royal tour, but Harry and Meghan really opened up about their love, Archie and the smear campaign.

I’m not joking when I say this, but my eyes filled with water and I had to swallow hard a couple of times.

South Africa is so beautiful and the people are too. The work that the Sussexes are doing isn’t great and there’s still so much to do. I know they’re dedicated to their roles and duties and will continue to do some great things within Africa in the future.

I just wish people just took to the time to understand where the couple is coming from on dealing with the lies and nastiness within this campaign. It’s just wrong what’s being done to them and I’m going to do whatever I can to call out this campaign and I’ll do it for them, the Cambridge’s and for anyone else who’s being bullied beyond belief. I know I get on people’s nerves, but I’m going to continue to fight against bullying.
Indeed. I felt they struck a decent balance between personal and the work. Much like Harry's past documentaries have with Bradby.

I also really loved Harry talking about how he measures success and his excitement for more work.

Meghan is so well spoken and made an important distinction between criticism and lies.

It was also interesting to see some work on the trip that wasn't counted officially. They were certainly busy!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The sniping of the tabloid press at Meghan began long long before Archie's birth. It began when Harry and Meghan were dating and has continued ever since. Social media has been poisonous towards this couple since the beginning, and unfortunately some tabloid articles have trawled those sources to get dirt. Not to mention the payment to ex friends for memories/photos etc, and tryng for statements from ex boyfriends and ex husband.
As is usually the case Curryong, I agree you are probably correct. I also read a LOT of social media ugliness directed at MM before the wedding and during the courtship, much of it fueled by jealousy and racism. The idea that Prince Harry, the world's most eligible bachelor, was not going to settle down with a blue eyed blonde after all made some posters in a word you yourself used and that stayed with me....FERAL.

But I was referring to the many decisions made by the Sussexes, both individually and collectively, that have helped bring them to this unhappy place.

The pre-engagement VF interview that MM gave discussing their relationship (" we are incredibly happy...this is our time") was foolish and inexplicable. What was the point??

I have already mentioned the baby shower and the christening.

The rift with the Cambridges, whether real or imagined, has been laid squarely at the Sussex doorstep..with "Yoko" Markle believed to be the driving force. Harry should have swallowed his pride and dealt aggressively to counter it since it's his side that was catching hell.

Greenlighting your "anonymous" friends to speak to PEOPLE magazine on your behalf as Meghan apparently did was also ill advised, imo.

These are a few of the examples of unforced errors I was referring to.

The other issues...racism, xenophobia, jealous resentment, vicious and publicity loving family members, are just crosses to be borne.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
He is and it is interesting seeing the replies to him from many viewers because ITV is blatantly twisting their words. Not just royal watchers either. Seeing many "blue checks" commenting as well. They know we all just watched the same program, right? Way to prove their point about the media.

It was a fascinating watch. I didn't expect Meghan to be as open but I shouldn't have been surprised either.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I don't see anyone but the media saying that Harry and Meghan plan to focus on Africa alone. Yes his conservation work so far has been in Africa, that doesn't mean he doesn't have an interest else where.

They are commonwealth ambassadors/queen's commonwealth trust. This does not refer just to the queen's realms. This refers to the 53 member nations of the commonwealth. So yes, the focus of the couple and their work will not be simply on the 16 realms of the queen.

As for focussing only on Africa for conservation: how soon we forget other trips. The queen's canopy trust. Harry has visited (and many opened) canopy locations in Australia, NZ, Tonga and St Vincent (all queen's realms) and Fiji (commonwealth). William was the one who opened the one in Canada.

Harry's travel initiative will certainly take conservation well beyond Africa. The intention to focus on sustainable travel, combining tourism and environmental issues around the globe. Including in the queen's realms.
Harry himself says that their lives' work will be predominantly focused on Africa - because of the many Commonwealth Countries (and their personal interest I would add). And it seems he could see them living there if not for the clear contrast that would create between their lifestyle and that of those around them. See this clip.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

IMO the more you talk the more it adds fuel to the fire, perhaps unfair, but true. They can't be naive enough to think it wouldn't reignite some discussion about them and cause more stories, comments, social media commentary etc.

I'm not saying they were wrong to talk at all, I just hope they have thought it through especially if they find the commentary already too much.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:21 PM
Majesty

“The idea that their woes are all down to “the tabloid press” is snobbish nonsense anyway. The Times, The Sunday Times, and the Daily Telegraph, for example, have all carried plenty of news stories and comment pieces that might have made the Sussexes uncomfortable”

Via Richard Palmer Twitter
Old 10-20-2019, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Indeed. I felt they struck a decent balance between personal and the work. Much like Harry's past documentaries have with Bradby.

I also really loved Harry talking about how he measures success and his excitement for more work.

Meghan is so well spoken and made an important distinction between criticism and lies.

It was also interesting to see some work on the trip that wasn't counted officially. They were certainly busy!
Yeah. As I said before, they worked their butts off on this royal tour. I know folks are trying to take away the hard work that was put in, but the proof is in the pudding. We can agree to disagree about the royals from time to time, but I think we can all agree that the royals do a lot of good with their high profile platform. They work hard in trying to make a difference in people’s lives.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really, really don't understand this imperious need to share like this, in front of the entire wolrd, one's feelings or discussing some private dynamics inside the BRF.
Is it Panorama interview 2.0 or what ?
How can you complain about being somewhat harassed by the Press (and not without reasons) and giving freely like this some golden material to it, knowing perfectly it will make frontpages the morning after ? It's just feeding the beast !
the Sussexes are contradictory to the extreme.
Maybe it's, indeed, time to take a break, have some quality time at peace and above all take some time to REFLECT because the Sussex house is obviously in loose cannon mode and it's really, really worrying.

Tags
duchess of sussex, haakon vii, maud, meghan markle, olav v