British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only to confirm what I’ve thought all along about where Meghan’s priorities are, Victoria Arbiter says the interview has been well received in the US with Americans being ‘outraged’ over Meghan’s ‘treatment’ in the press.

The response in Britain has been markedly different. The Sussex documentary hasn’t been well received at all.

The problem is America isn’t a realm, they don’t have a say over our royal family

There’s talk of giving up titles and moving, but I wonder if this coming from the American camp? I don’t think that Americans understand how hard it would be for Harry to do that. Who would pay for his protection? The Americans aren’t going to do it.

Only to confirm what I’ve thought all along about where Meghan’s priorities are, Victoria Arbiter says the interview has been well received in the US with Americans being ‘outraged’ over Meghan’s ‘treatment’ in the press.

The response in Britain has been markedly different. The Sussex documentary hasn’t been well received at all.

The problem is America isn’t a realm, they don’t have a say over our royal family

That doesn't surprise me at all. Cultural perceptions about people opening up in public about their feelings are very different in the US and in the UK. Besides, Meghan is American and Americans tend to be tribalist.

There’s talk of giving up titles and moving, but I wonder if this coming from the American camp? I don’t think that Americans understand how hard it would be for Harry to do that. Who would pay for his protection? The Americans aren’t going to do it.

Giving up titles is actually easy. Royal titles and styles (other than the monarch's) are not regulated by law in the UK, so they can be changed by royal prerogative. It suffices for the Queen to let her will be known in that respect.

Removing Harry for example from the line of succession is a different matter. It would require an act of the British parliament amending the law of succession in the UK , and the other 15 Commonwealth realms would have to consent thereto as mandated by the Statute of Westminster. Whenever the succession law is also part of the domestic law of a realm, the parliaments of the affected realm would also have to pass legislation amending their own domestic law. Examples of the latter include Australia and New Zealand (just to mention two affected countries), but not Canada (where a simple bill consenting to the act of the UK parliament would be enough under current guidelines from the Canadian courts).

In any case, it would be a lengthy process. The last time the succession laws were changed (to introduce equal primogeniture for example), it took about two years to complete the process.

Last edited:
From the very moment it was announced that Meghan was pregnant, the media and people on social media lost their damn minds. They threw Meghan in the air, knocked her back in with a 2 by 4, threw her in the stands and muffed her in the head while she was pregnant and after giving birth to Archie.

The royal family has not done one thing to come to her defense. Not one thing. They have sat on their hands and allowed this smear campaign to fester and spread. I said this stuff was getting out of hand from the very beginning. Go back and look at my posts. I said this mess was getting out of control and I was told by my friends on these forums that what we were witnessing was just due to the silly summer season, because the royal family were on summer break and the press just needed to fill their columns with something. That’s how it was dismissed.

No one was thinking about the effects this smear campaign was having on Meghan and Harry. Not too many people were saying, “gee, I hope Harry and Meghan are okay.” Now people have the audacity to be upset at Harry and Meghan for being upset about the abuse they have suffered in the hands of the press. That takes the cake.

Look,
The British Royal Family and their palace aides better step in and stop this smear campaign from snowballing. Or the consequences could effect the Sussexes marriage and Meghan’s role within the “Firm.” Do something now, before something tragic happens.

I am interested in Royalty because of their historical background and the social role they play in today´s society. Their damn job is, I can only repeat myself, to represent this great nation in humble duty, with dignity and pride to be able to do so! Others, also younger members, also do! Meghan, whom I truly like as a person, but, like the rest of us, is not faultless, can do in private what ever she wants. But on a "ROYAL tour" her only job is to represent "Queen and country" in the best way possible. She and her husband who, until some months ago, was one of my absolute favourites, are not entitled to cover up every engagement they do with their own businesses, but with the JOB they are there and paid for! Claiming she didn´t know what it meant to marry a Prince of the UK is silly and naive! We all know what happens to women in the royal family who, willingly or not, taking "celebrity-like-status-roles" in the royal limelight (Princess Michael, Diana and Fergie) and others who did not (Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester, Countess of Wessex, nowadays the Dchss o Cornwall, too) and Meghan knew that pretty well, too. That is NOT the fault of the royal family nor the Palace!
On the contrary! The Palace is very well advised to keep its mouth pretty shut. And other members of the RF (except Harry. And he has spoken very candidly already, as we know) have nothing to do with it at all! I´m sure they express their sympathy to H. and M. in private - but this also does not belong into the public!
Why would that help? It would only fire up what I called the royal soap opera even more, which is unworthy of a reigning royal house!
So please, Palace, keep it silent and dignified. And let others, who are not, continue their ridiculous battles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you really think there’s a conspiracy in the British press against Meghan and Harry?

You’re a long time royal watcher and remember the dark days when Catherine and her family were attacked on a daily basis.

I can't speak for others but I would absolutely say yes...The British media is out for blood when it comes to the Sussexes. The media has been over the top in their coverage of Meghan and way worse than what others have received as far as treatment.

They accused her of breaking some nonexistent protocol for closing her own car door for crying out loud. They tried to tie her terrorism for helping victims of Grenfell....when other royals had previously been there and there wasn't a peep. When other royals ate avocados during their pregnancy it was a sweet cure. When Meghan did it all of a sudden she was supporting drought and murder. She couldn't even touch her own baby bump without the press complaining. Not to mention the racial undertones of many of the reports.

When the British press was told that a story they were going to run wasn't true....they ran with it anyway. Only later to find out it was some random citizen that was making a joke. How many apologies/corrections have they had to issue already?

There are reports also from the British press that everyday Meghan is making someone cry... but her history....all the reports from sets she has worked on to friends there have never any reports of her being mean or overly demanding. Some even say she is too kind.

I don’t know why people are ignoring the real issue here.

The royals are used to positive and negative limelight. Thats not what’s going on here.

The Duchess of Sussex has been feeling the strain of a major smear campaign. A campaign that’s filled with sexist, xenophobic and racist energy. This is not about her getting some average bad criticism. This is something much more bigger than the royals are used to. This is bullying from the press to the max. Something that needs to stop. She don’t have to sit down and take this bull.

I don’t know why folks are trying to downplay and sugarcoat what’s really going on.

You're so right. And that smear campaign exists! Even the Guardian acknowledges that:
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ated-fairly-by-the-press-and-i-dont-blame-her

For me it is absolutely clear that whatever Meghan does, certain media outlets will hate it. Otherwise they would have let her be during her pregnancy. Just see what very conservative (and often helpful) views they have on pregnancies and the care pregnant women need normally.

Just think how hateful this abdominable Piers Morgan goes after poor Meghan. As if he hadn't done things like ending a new relationship when it doesn't fit in new plans! Hypocrite!

You’re so right. Other senior royal women in the family have had a racist, sexist and xenophobic smear campaign launched against them.

I respect a lot of you guys on these royal forums, but y’all really need to wake up and smell the tea leaves brewing. Wake up and pull the wool from off your eyes and realize The Duchess of Sussex is going through something no other member of the royal family have gone through. This is entirely different.

I doubt a lot this is "a racist, sexist and xenophobic smear campaign" at all. I think may be 90% of people criticising the Duchess or even dislike her are none of it at all. I rather believe it is criticism against a person, titled a british royal Duchess, but thinking she was still an american celebrity star.

:previous: @Kataryn

With all do respect, providing an opinion piece that agrees with your overall view is no different from the negative opinion pieces on Meghan.

It’s all about personal bias.

I have given this more thought and, while I still stand by my earlier statement that they should not be speaking in public about these issues, I feel that a lot of what has brought on their overly emotional public response is that they are in an extremely stressful situation--new marriage, new baby, full time royals very much in the public eye. One of those alone, although exciting, is very stressful, but put all three together and it is a recipe for a meltdown, particularly for Meghan who, in my opinion, did not realize what she was getting into. She was the victim of some truly reprehensible treatment from some of the press. Then she and Harry made some not so wise choices, in my opinion, suchas preaching climate change while flying several times in private jets, a very public expensive baby shower, too private a christening. Given all this stress and that Harry is a highly emotional person and does not always think before he speaks, he made a bad decision to air his complaints in public. When you are highly stressed, you can make bad decisions. Meghan probably just followed his lead. I do feel compassion for them as human beings because no matter how privileged you are, you still feel the same emotions as everyone else. It still does not change the fact that most people don't like hearing privileged people, particularly those who live on the public purse, complain. No one is talking about the work they did in Africa, but only their public airing of their complaints. That is just how it is. It does not help them at all to speak so publicly about such personal issues. I am truly worried about Harry and Meghan and hope they get the help that they need. I do feel that a 6 week vacation is a great idea. Maybe they can get a break from stress and regroup. I really wish the Queen would sit them down and have a talk with them. She would be the best PR person they could have. She may already have and that is something no one will ever know, most likely. I really do believe that they will recover from all this, but I think it is going to take them following some good advice and staying silent about personal matters. If they need to talk, then talk to family.

Last edited:
So please, Palace, keep it silent and dignified. And let others, who are not, continue their ridiculous battles!

For the Palaces to remain silent on occasions like this but speak up against petty stuff like hair extensions shows me that they aren't really leaders.

Some quotes to support my thoughts on silence when people are being bullied and dehumanized....

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.” — Dr Martin Luther King Jr

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ” — Archbishop Desmond Tutu

“Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly.” – Mahatma Gandhi

We all know what happens to women in the royal family who, willingly or not, taking "celebrity-like-status-roles" in the royal limelight (Princess Michael, Diana and Fergie) and others who did not (Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester, Countess of Wessex, nowadays the Dchss o Cornwall, too) and Meghan knew that pretty well, too.
Although largely forgotten today The Duchess of Kent was massively popular in her day and also the first royal mother to show her baby to the press when she left the hospital.

To Wyewale - I couldn't quote to your post about Princess Diana:
Yes, Diana turned down having Royal Protection Officers because she was afraid that details about her life would end up at the palace. Ken Wharfe, an old RPO, has said that they tried to get her to keep their services and that she would have if The Queen had told her to do so. He also said that Diana would have been alive today if she had still been under their protection.

But their situation isn't impossible. They are free to give up their titles and privileges anytime they want, no one is forcing them to lead a public life. In fact, the way things are going, I think an increasing number of the British public would be glad to see the back of them.

Those same guys would then complain that Harry was a coward who couldn't handle the pressures of being married and carrying out his duties.

Frankly, thery are in no-win situation.

Afraid to say Harry and Meghan will regret this documentary in time to come.

I am afraid that there were many aspects of the South African tour that was kept under wraps - or away from the press in general . Hundreds of twitter accounts were suspended, criticism was kept out of the papers and protestors were not shown.
Either way my 2 cents- I really felt Meghan was more prepared for this then she herself is now saying. Surely Harry should have prepared her better. Why did they expect any different behavior to the press then what happened? They are just adding fuel to fire. Whatever happened to never give a bully power over you. By changing the way they viewed the press onslaught they could easily have changed the narrative. They could have shown strength and resilience in-spite of the press behavior. There is no slur campaign, just the press doing what they alway do. Social meeting attitude changes with the minute hand on a watch. Meghan and Harry are playing a long game here. They have too many spin doctors and pr advisors for this not to be a grander play. There is a lot more going on here then we currently know, and things are going to get a lot more interesting.

For the Palaces to remain silent on occasions like this but speak up against petty stuff like hair extensions shows me that they aren't really leaders.

Some quotes to support my thoughts on silence when people are being bullied and dehumanized....

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.” — Dr Martin Luther King Jr

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ” — Archbishop Desmond Tutu

“Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Sorry, but all these great persons you name took reference to a world effecting, highly political context in these quotes... so, please!

And what do you mean with "hair extensions"....?

Although largely forgotten today The Duchess of Kent was massively popular in her day and also the first royal mother to show her baby to the press when she left the hospital.

Indeed. That was what I wanted to say. Dsses of Kent and Gloucester - (and also Sophie Wessex, after she had mad some huge mistakes in the beginning) one could also name Princess Alexandra - never were criticised like that by the media because they did their job, have always been loyal and never put themselves too much in the center of attention.
Just a thought , but I think the british easily get upset with people "overshining" what it is all really about, the monarchy the Queen. The late Pcss o Wales endured this, too. She was forgiven after she died.

Sorry, but all these great persons you name took reference to a world effecting, highly political context in these quotes... so, please!

And what do you mean with "hair extensions"....?

I'm going to try and keep this on the documentary but those quotes can be used in everyday life. If you see someone being mistreated and you do or say nothing you are part of the problem, especially if you are in a position to do something. Bullying, racism, xenophobia takes place at all levels of life, not just politics.

Harry and Meghan both feel that way, they also feel that if you see wrong you need to do something about it....which feeds their need to help with charity work.

The Palace spoke up didn't keep that siff upper lip thing when a royal was accused of wearing hair extensions/botox, among other things. If they can speak up about trivial things why can't they speak up when some members are under attack?

Indeed. That was what I wanted to say. Dsses of Kent and Gloucester - (and also Sophie Wessex, after she had mad some huge mistakes in the beginning) one could also name Princess Alexandra - never were criticised like that by the media because they did their job, have always been loyal and never put themselves too much in the center of attention.
Just a thought , but I think the british easily get upset with people "overshining" what it is all really about, the monarchy the Queen. The late Pcss o Wales endured this, too. She was forgiven after she died.

Harry and Meghan haven't actually done anything that "put themselves too much in the center of attention" other than be who they are and actually get married.

What have they done that others haven't done?
*They got married in a large ceremony...others have as well.
*Go on tours representing the UK....others have done that.
*Help charities out with fundraising projects....check that one off as well.
*Speak up on behalf of women....royals have done that as well.
*Talk about the environment and take private planes....done
*Have elaborate parties (especially birthday parties)...check (although Meghan's shower was paid for by
private citizens
*Visit famous friends during vacations/holidays...again done
*Wear jeans to Wimbledon... also done
*Spend money renovating a home for their family.... guess what that has been done as well.
*Touch baby bumpy, eat avocados, close car doors... check, check, check
*Wear one sleeve or sleeveless dresses...done
*Not host a circus event outside of the hospital when their child was born... also done

The only thing that they didn't do is reveal Archie's Godparents names and that was more for their privacy and protection and came long after the attacks by the media.

As for overshadowing the Queen, she is 93 years old, she doesn't get around as much as she used to so those in the Family that do... get more coverage. She is still the one that everything is centered around.

Last edited:
I'm going to try and keep this on the documentary but those quotes can be used in everyday life. If you see someone being mistreated and you do or say nothing you are part of the problem, especially if you are in a position to do something. Bullying, racism, xenophobia takes place at all levels of life, not just politics.

Harry and Meghan both feel that way, they also feel that if you see wrong you need to do something about it....which feeds their need to help with charity work.

The Palace spoke up didn't keep that siff upper lip thing when a royal was accused of wearing hair extensions/botox, among other things. If they can speak up about trivial things why can't they speak up when some members are under attack?

Still you cannot generalise these quotes! I don´t think they really fit into this debate. Meghan is not an employee in private firm being bullyed, she has support from her husband, friends and even people who do not even know her personally.

The Palace or the RF defending her on a "smear campaign", as one poster here keeps repeating over and over again, and which I cannot see, would mean there is an agreement there IS a smear campaign!
Let´s face it; M and H did some capital mistakes in the past, it was not evil nor willingly, but still they commited it, and the media and some parts of society who are not specifically fond of them, didn´t let them get away with it. So they get punishment for it like everyone in public will get. That´s sad but true. And no matter how much we will post here, that´s how things work nowadays. The only persons who can turn the wheel into another direction again are Harry and Meghan, nobody else!
They just have to take aunts and uncles, Harrys paternal grandparents and may be his older brother as a role model and make it their own and things will improve again. Until that happens it is their own responsibility how to deal with it. I just fear the path they took in the past few months are not recommendable!

Last edited:
Well post tour- it started with all the criticism of the exorbitant cost of Meghan's tour wardrobe. Her wardrobe was filled with expensive, high end and non-British designers. Everyone knew that the press right up to that point had been criticizing Meghan's lack of use of British designers and the abundance of expensive forever designers in her closet. Instead of using the tour, to deflect that (like Meghan BRILLIANTLY did in South Africa!), they only added fuel to the press's fire.

Then there was the ridiculous baby shower fiasco in New York. There is nothing wrong with Meghan having an American Baby shower but the execution of it was all wrong. It was supposed to be a "private" even yet we saw photos of Meghan's celebrity friends coming and going and we found out how much the venue cost and the countless Instagram photos of the food and pastries..etc. Now there is nothing wrong with having nice baby shower. However a truly private one would have posts on IG from guests, no knowledge of where the venue was, and no photos of guests coming and going. Again the media was given food for criticism..

The mysticism surrounding Archie's birth, baptism, and godparents.
The couple knew the public was looking forward to this and instead of following the route of Duchess of Cambridge or the Countess of Wessex there were back and forth games played with the couple.
Also concerning Archie's godparents- how is it the Duchess can go to Wimbledon with her "private" friends and be photographed yet Archie's grandparents cannot be revealed in a photograph?

Meghan's been in the company of her old friends from school as well her celebrity friends. I am sure she has received comfort from them.
So this speaking out "no one has asked if I am ok!" is false. I am also sure the Duchess of Cambridge has earlier offered support.

I agree with this. Whilst I'm all for royals opening up if it helps them; I don't think that the Sussexes went about this well if they wanted to have little media scrutiny. As much as I like Harry and Meghan, these early actions don't help their quest for peace and give the media something to spin on (and I can somewhat understand the criticism Meghan received for her expensive wardrobe choices and both she and Harry for keeping Archie's birth and christening secretive). I certainly don't like the way Meghan is being attacked by particular outlets but this isn't helping their situation. Plus, even though he didn't outrightly say "we're in an argument right now", Harry's answer to the question about his relationship with William in this documentary only added more fuel to the fire. It's a tricky situation.

I love Harry and Meghan, and I do believe that she has been extremely-I’ll treated, to put it kindly, but I have to say that I agree with most of the comments in the article. The one thing I disagree with is the interpretation of “no one has asked if I’m OK”. I don’t think Meghan is referring to Harry’s family. The Queen and Prince Charles are caring people and they both love Meghan; I’m sure that I’d she appeared to be struggling, they’d try and help. That said, they aren’t mind readers; if Meghan is putting up a strong front and hasn’t indicated that she needs help, how is anyone to know? I would say that about any person, famous or not.

As an American, I would imagine that most of my countrymen and women just don’t understand how the Royal family works. I’m sorry to say that when they travel to Europe for vacations, many of them expect that the English, French, Germans, Scots, etc.. will be exactly like they are (more emotionally open, etc...). The Royal Family is a horse of another color, and I think that anyone who loves it truly - or is just fascinated with it - should take the time to understand it. Most Americans probably still feel that the Duke and Duchess of Windsor was an historic romance and that Edward VIII giving up his throne the most romantic thing ever. As a kid, I used to feel that way. Used to - I stopped seeing it that way a long time ago.

Ultimately, like you said, it doesn’t matter what Americans think; we’re irrelevant in all this. It matters to a degree what the British people think, though keep in mind they’ve hated Charles for decades (or many have) and many still think he should be skipped over in favor of William. That’s never happening.

Harry and Meghan haven't actually done anything that "put themselves too much in the center of attention" other than be who they are and actually get married.

What have they done that others haven't done?
*Talk about the environment and take private planes....done
*Have elaborate parties (especially birthday parties)...check (although Meghan's shower was paid for by
private citizens
*Spend money renovating a home for their family.... guess what that has been done as well.
*Not host a circus event outside of the hospital when their child was born... also done

Never heard they were criticised for having a "large wedding ceremony". I guess they would have gotten criticised if they didn´t. So, well done H and M but not an example for how they are treated badly...

But with the focus and weight on representing on this tour and charities and not so much talk about the mean press and how hard and awful everything is!

*Have elaborate parties (especially birthday parties)...
Here it´s about style and taste. M. could have invited some friends to a salon in Kensington Palace and still would have had the same fun with the same baby presents. But no, it had to be NY city in a posh hotel (I think it was). Again, here taste between Europe and America differ also.[/B] In Europe we do private things like these a bit more modest, not like upstarts.

Who from the Royal Family ever wore jeans in Wimbledon?! In the 1970s and 80s it was the current Dss of Kent: never jeans; before that, her mother-in-law: certainly no jeans!!! Princess Diana never wore jeans in Wimbledon so never did her daughter-in-law Catherine.
But this was not about wearing jeans! It was about Meghan acting like a primadonna by titeling her stay there "private" and forbode being pictures taken of her!

Others didn´t damn air pollution and didn´t claim whenever possible how important it is to save our planet and that everyone has to do his/ her bit to help the environment and minimize carbon dioxide while going on private jets flights within days. They could have invited old Elton, saying, "Elton, you know about our campaigns, you know how it will look like when we fly all these miles down to your retreat with a private plane! Just let´s delay it a few weeks and come to our house at Frogmore!"
What´s so hard about that? Is that too much of a "sacrifice"? I mean, do they want to be taken seriously or not?!

*Spend money renovating a home for their family....
The criticism was targeted against the height of the costs, not that they had to "renovate"...

Haven´t heard about these things, sounds tabloid to me. Nothing to get mad at these peanuts.

I have just seen parts of the African documentary, it was on the dutch television What to say.
To me they seem all over the place. Complaining about the press, about being badly treated, about live being hard on them.
However I think also Catherine was not treated very well ( waity katie, lazy Kate etc) I have never heard her. I think you are going to lose the battle if you start complaining. Maybe once or so but not all the time.
Then they talk about environment: but why ?? Where does there passion come from, to me it seems that they speak out because it is fashionable. And they should practice what they preach. Now people are telling them they are hypocrites.
I feel sorry for them in a way.
I think I would keep silent for a while, seek a passion or a charity and get really knowledgeable about a certain subject. ( Think Willem Alexander and his watermanagement or laurentien and her fight against illiteracy) Give it all a rest and stop whinging in public.

Whether or not America is Meghan's priority I have said said before and still agree that a large part of the "problem" is that Meghan's culture and instincts are American not British yet she has to keep the UK press and British people happy. This sort of speaking out is, I would suggest, considered 'the done thing' in America but in the UK its not what we expect people to do, especially not the Royals. I'm not saying necessarily that that is right but that is the expectation. Just as we expect the royals to live really rather quite lavish lifestyles but appear frugal in as many ways as possible. E.g the Queen who needs 10 members of staff to deliver her a cup of tea but who appears frugal by sending her son out to look for a lost dog collar. Its small idiosyncratic things like that which mark our "Britishness" and which, purely due to cultural reasons, grate on British people. Its rather like the way Americans tend to refer to the whole of the UK as England and the Queen as "The Queen of England" They make British people wince but similarly I'm sure Americans think we all moan about the weather and have terrible teeth. Its just part of our make up to not always understand what makes us different.

The documentary and the way it is being perceived so differently in the UK and USA shows that the cultural differences that have, I believe, contributed in part to the current issues H&M face with the media.

You’re so right. Other senior royal women in the family have had a racist, sexist and xenophobic smear campaign launched against them. :whistling: :bang:

I respect a lot of you guys on these royal forums, but y’all really need to wake up and smell the tea leaves brewing. Wake up and pull the wool from off your eyes and realize The Duchess of Sussex is going through something no other member of the royal family have gone through. This is entirely different.

Oh c' mon. Some " Folks" as you like to say, are so forgetful.

- Princess Michael was just panned by the Press in the late 70's, basically calling her a borderline Nazi sympatiser.
- Diana was publicy and shamelessely mocked for her eating disorders. It was even a running joke back in the 80's

- Sarah was publicy and more than once body shamed.
- Sophie was publicy humiliated with the fake sheik story.
- Camilla, for sure, was harassed and humiliated regularly.
- Kate ' s middle class roots were mocked, her appareance bashed ( Essex girl fake tan and hair extensions) and who can forget the " waity Katy" nickname.

So calling out every members on this board will not change the fact that, sadly, pretty every female members of the BRF had to fight, at some point, against rumors, bad publicity, harassment , sexism, agism ...

But another fact is with Meghan the social medias have now a good part in the narrative, for the worse.

You’re so right. Other senior royal women in the family have had a racist, sexist and xenophobic smear campaign launched against them.

Hmmmmm....We are all entitled to our own thoughts and perspectives. :)

I don't see how the interview (mistake that it was - wrong place and wrong time) confirms anything about Meghan's "priorities." She was simply pointing out that as an American she wasn't prepared for Britain's tabloid press (powerful and often toxic and unethical as it is). Her British friends even warned her about it.

I see this as another reason why Americans respond differently to the interview than the British. The British are used to the tabloids and take them for granted. Americans don't (but of course there many other things we tolerate that the British wouldn't).

Graham Norton pointed this difference out himself: "In America you couldn’t do that. The New York Times or The Washington Post, if they get caught out there’s hell to pay. When I do an interview with an American newspaper, I get all these follow-up calls, asking, ‘Did you say this?’ and ‘Can you just verify the spelling of the surname of the person you mentioned?’ They’re really on it in the way that, no disrespect, we’re not on it here."

See "Toxic Telegraph made me feel nauseous, says Graham Norton"

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...raph-made-me-feel-nauseous-says-graham-norton

Even many of the "royal reporters" aren't reporters in the truest sense. They mix news stories with gossip. They don't always double check their information for accuracy and they also don't issue retractions or apologies if the gossip they've reported is proven wrong.

Last edited:
Whether or not America is Meghan's priority I have said said before and still agree that a large part of the "problem" is that Meghan's culture and instincts are American not British yet she has to keep the UK press and British people happy. This sort of speaking out is, I would suggest, considered 'the done thing' in America but in the UK its not what we expect people to do, especially not the Royals. I'm not saying necessarily that that is right but that is the expectation. Just as we expect the royals to live really rather quite lavish lifestyles but appear frugal in as many ways as possible. E.g the Queen who needs 10 members of staff to deliver her a cup of tea but who appears frugal by sending her son out to look for a lost dog collar. Its small idiosyncratic things like that which mark our "Britishness" and which, purely due to cultural reasons, grate on British people. Its rather like the way Americans tend to refer to the whole of the UK as England and the Queen as "The Queen of England" They make British people wince but similarly I'm sure Americans think we all moan about the weather and have terrible teeth. Its just part of our make up to not always understand what makes us different.

The documentary and the way it is being perceived so differently in the UK and USA shows that the cultural differences that have, I believe, contributed in part to the current issues H&M face with the media.

I am American and I have followed the British Royal Family for 40 years and I agree with you. I think that many people have only recently begun to follow the Royal Family due to Harry marrying an American, and many of those new followers are American. They don't understand how the Royal Family function or what the British people expect of their Royal Family. Even though they are not, I feel like they are my Royal Family too:flowers:, and I want them to behave exactly as you described. What confuses me, though, is why is Harry acting like an American with all his public emoting? He should know better.

Last edited:

Similar to Sarah and Diana, American sympathized with them and embraced them while Britain saw them as a problem (off and on with Diana). It's really sad that Meghan and Harry have gone a Diana route and want to air their laundry in public. America has no power over what the British press do

I think you're right. I admire Meghan very much but in retrospect I sometimes wonder if she did too much too soon. I suspect she was eager to use her new position to promote the causes she cares deeply about (very admirable on her part) and jumped right in headfirst. But maybe it would've been better if she'd taken a few baby steps and accustomed herself to the British (and royal) way of doing things first. Try something out, wait for the reaction, then try something else, and wait for the reaction, etc. But I suppose then she might have been criticized for not doing enough. And she clearly wasn't prepared for the tabloid media.

I sometimes wonder how much guidance and advice the "new" royals receive. I was baffled when Meghan appeared with the Queen at a public event and didn't even know if she or the Queen should enter the car first. Didn't anyone think to go over that with her?

Last edited:
I don't see how the interview (mistake that it was - wrong place and wrong time) confirms anything about Meghan's "priorities." She was simply pointing out that as an American she wasn't prepared for Britain's tabloid press (powerful and often toxic and unethical as it is). Her British friends even warned her about it.

I see this as another reason why Americans respond differently to the interview than the British. The British are used to the tabloids and take them for granted. Americans don't (but of course there many other things we tolerate that the British wouldn't).

Graham Norton pointed this difference out himself: "In America you couldn’t do that. The New York Times or The Washington Post, if they get caught out there’s hell to pay. When I do an interview with an American newspaper, I get all these follow-up calls, asking, ‘Did you say this?’ and ‘Can you just verify the spelling of the surname of the person you mentioned?’ They’re really on it in the way that, no disrespect, we’re not on it here."

See "Toxic Telegraph made me feel nauseous, says Graham Norton"

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...raph-made-me-feel-nauseous-says-graham-norton

Even many of the "royal reporters" aren't reporters in the truest sense. They mix news stories with gossip. They don't always double check their information for accuracy and they also don't issue retractions or apologies if the gossip they've reported is proven wrong.

: standingupwithasalute: Haven't been proud to be an American for a long time....but this made me happy. I usually complain about TMZ and National Enquirer, but it could be worse.

I’m in the US and can believe that it’s an entirely different viewpoint, as our populace seems to thrive on trashy reality tv and the circus that is our government. However, I can honestly say I know very few people who care about any of this, let alone have a strong opinion. I’ve yet to hear anyone “outraged” over any sort of coverage aside from some celebrities. Likely most average citizens who do follow the BRF are getting their information from People magazine, which insisted on calling the Duchess of Cambridge “Princess Kate” until recently. While more respectable that most the tabloids, it’s really not hard-hitting news, and tends to view the BRF rather favorably.

Back
Top Bottom