British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, a Vacation is needed!

I think, Meghan and Harry really need a vacation!

After this appearance of Harry at the Well Child thingy plus the one of Meghan, which shed some tears too yesterday...
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...e-struggles-public-spotlight-itv-documentary/

... it is about time for them to relax, to regroup and to think about the future!

In my humble opinion Harry has still not dealt with the situation, that he is no longer needed as spare part Prince, since the Cambridges have three kids.

His - perhaps only in my opinion - attempt to reinvent himself as some kind of "Prince of the Hearts" has utterly failed! His try outs as eco warrior and nature conservationist were not exactly met with a Hooray by the public.

And, let's face it, the market for this is pretty overcrowded! From Leonardo Di Caprio and Al Gore to Fridays for Future and the Extinction Rebellion a lot of folks are already in there!

And his other try was his new duty as some kind of Commonwealth Ambassador - that is for Africa...? Uncool too! Totally uncool! He might have thought, this was a good idea, since he thinks, he has a connection to Africa. He even called Africa his refuge and second home and his wife has african roots, which he perhaps considered.

But "his" Africa is the Africa of the Safaris... And albeit is is not a shooter of animals, but more of a conservationist, he can't spend his life this way!

So, yes: Time out, relax, regroup, reinvent!

I honestly can see them living abroad permanently in the next few years. This time it’s 6 weeks. Next time 3 months and then year round.

My impression is that UK society has changed a lot, especially over the past 20 years or so , and there is a different and much more supportive attitude regarding people who are open about their feelings and anxieties, more in line, I suppose, with American culture, which might be influencing Britain in that respect.

Having said that, I also think, however, that many people in Britain still expect the royals to keep the "stiff upper lip" attitude and, because royals are perceived to be privileged, their complaining about their lives is generally not well received. I am not ignoring that Harry and Meghan's complaints might be justified or saying they should be ignored, but I insist on my prediction that it will inevitably lead to a backlash against them.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this interview is really what the papers are making of it (I haven't seen it not being in Britain), it seems like a "cry for help" from Harry.

Much like his mother before him, I am afraid it will not be well received in the UK though and will only add to criticism of the couple and questions about Harry's emotional issues, which are clearly out there.

I don't see Harry walking away to a private life as a realistic option either as it conflicts with his father's and his grandmother's expectations of him ( I don't know about his brother's) and, unlike Diana, he cannot "divorce" the Royal Family. That is why I said I see it more as a cry for help than a serious proposition.

I’m sure Harry will continue to get private help on dealing with the personal effect his mother’s death have on him. That’s a gaping hole in his life that’s never going to go away.

What’s really stressful is to see what his wife is going through. He’s gonna protect his family, but the smear campaign that’s been launched against his wife by the outside forces is something else and it’s taking it toll on the Sussexes. They’ve did it the old fashioned British way by keeping a stiff upper lip throughout the summer, but they couldn’t take the abuse anymore and said something about it.

Meghan was literally out of view pregnant with her first child and then - after giving birth - on maternity leave taking care of her baby and the outside forces treated her like she murdered some people and buried the bodies behind Windsor Castle. I mean, the racially-toned abuse and lies were flying high in the sky for all to see. In all my years of being a royal watcher, I’ve never seen a senior female member of the royal family or any other human being deal hit with that kind of abuse, especially during those vulnerable months of motherhood. Just insane.

I honestly can see them living abroad permanently in the next few years. This time it’s 6 weeks. Next time 3 months and then year round.

I don’t think they’re going anywhere permanently.

Last edited:
Please note that several posts making comparisons between different royals' situations have been removed. Let us discuss the topic on it's own merits.

I’m sure Harry will continue to get private help on dealing with the personal effect his mother’s death have on him. That’s a gaping hole in his life that’s never going to go away.

What’s really stressful is to see what his wife is going through. He’s gonna protect his family, but the smear campaign that’s been launched against his wife by the outside forces is something else and it’s taking it toll on the Sussexes. They’ve did it the old fashioned British way by keeping a stiff upper lip throughout the summer, but they couldn’t take the abuse anymore and said something about it.

Meghan was literally out of view pregnant with her first child and then - after giving birth - on maternity leave taking care of her baby and the outside forces treated her like she murdered some people and buried the bodies behind Windsor Castle. I mean, the racially-toned abuse and lies were flying high in the sky for all to see. In all my years of being a royal watcher, I’ve never seen a senior female member of the royal family or any other human being deal hit with that kind of abuse, especially during those vulnerable months of motherhood.

That´s one side of the story. M. (and sometimes her husband, too) was not treated like a murderess but she was indeed criticized for certain things which were no invention or fabrication: the posh baby party with celebrity friends in NY, the costly rebuilding of their new home, hypocricy claims about their private jet flights although they preach avoidance of carbon dioxide, the "private" visit to Wimbledon where M. forbode to take photographs of her, the secrecy around Archie´s birth and christening (where I supported them but was greatly critized for on this forum!), M. behaviour at a Polo match where she virtually ignored her sister in law and the Cambridge children etc. ... All these are facts. All this was avoidable, but they, two adult human-beings, have chosen otherwise. I sincerely hope they take other family members as a good example and learn from it.

I don't think the couple are going anywhere permanently, either. And Bradby has stated that Harry acknowledges that a home in Africa (or anywhere else permanently) would be 'difficult if not impossible.'

Harry loves Africa and feels a connection to it, (and it's not the Africa of 'safaris' either.) He's been out in the bush for weeks each year for several years helping to move elephants from one location to the next. That's not safari work. However he knows he can't live there permanently.

And the argument that now the Cambridges have three children there's no role for Harry or for Meghan doesn't stack up either. George is the eldest at just six.

Unless they are all going to be full time royals in their mid teens while still at school there's going to be at least about twenty years before any of the three assume that role. And the two younger ones may not want to anyway.

If George follows his father's route when his grandfather is King, there will be university followed by several years in the armed services. That's not conducive to full time Royal work, as we know. So it may well be in his late twenties before George assumes full time duties.

And the last time I looked YouGov polls taken earlier this year, had Harry up there in popularity with his grandmother, so I don't know where the idea that the British public dislikes Harry comes from either.

Last edited:
That´s one side of the story. M. (and sometimes her husband, too) was not treated like a murderess but she was indeed criticized for certain things which were no invention or fabrication: the posh baby party with celebrity friends in NY, the costly rebuilding of their new home, hypocricy claims about their private jet flights although they preach avoidance of carbon dioxide, the "private" visit to Wimbledon where M. forbode to take photographs of her, the secrecy around Archie´s birth and christening (where I supported them but was greatly critized for on this forum!), M. behaviour at a Polo match where she virtually ignored her sister in law and the Cambridge children etc. ... All these are facts. All this was avoidable, but they, two adult human-beings, have chosen otherwise. I sincerely hope they take other family members as a good example and learn from it.

You’re basically coming up with a bunch of nonsense and saying the smear campaign that’s been launched against Meghan is justified. That’s just wrong on so many levels.

This has got to do with the outside forces having a problem with Meghan because of the color of her skin, their sexist views and xenophobic issues.

Of course people don’t want to go there, so it’s much easier to just blame the victim and want to see her move someplace out of sight.

Last edited:
I don't think the couple are going anywhere permanently, either. And Bradby has stated that Harry acknowledges that a home in Africa (or anywhere else permanently) would be 'difficult if not impossible.'

Harry loves Africa and feels a connection to it, (and it's not the Africa of 'safaris' either.) He's been out in the bush for weeks each year for several years helping to move elephants from one location to the next. That's not safari work. However he knows he can't live there permanently.

And the argument that now the Cambridges have three children there's no role for Harry or for Meghan doesn't stack up either. George is the eldest at just six.

Unless they are all going to be full time royals in their mid teens while still at school there's going to be at least about twenty years before any of the three assume that role. And the two younger ones may not want to anyway.

If Harry and Meghan decide not to be full-time working royals, it is likely that Beatrice and Eugenie will have to be drafted to work for the Firm at some point, probably when William is king. I have always been in favor of engaging them sooner rather than later (i.e. in Charles' reign), especially Beatrice, who is very eager to do royal work and would take it up gladly.

As I said though, I agree with you that Harry and Meghan not being full-time royals or not living permanently in the UK are not realistic scenarios because it conflicts with the Queen's and, most importantly, Charles' plans for them. I can see William giving his brother the freedom he seeks , but, then, we are talking about what will happen 30 years from now, when circumstances can be completely different from what they are today.

There is also the question of what Harry would do for a living if he were not a full-time royal. He left the Army and doesn't have a career like some other second-born children in other European monarchies. He has some money his mother left him and the likely Windsor trust fund, but that is it and , right now, he is still supported financially by his father. Besides, as a non-royal, his ability to do charity work and attract funding for his projects would be diminished somewhat.

Last edited:
[...]
Frogmore Cottage was not 'rebuilt' for the Sussexes. It was merely refitted and refurbished so it was suitable for one family not five. And the money used was from the Sovereign Grant which is there to repair and maintain buildings connected with the BRF. And that includes BP and apartments at KP as well.

And if the break from royal duties is from mid November till the end of December (apparently they are expected to be at Sandringham for Xmas,) then the majority of that time encompasses the run up to the Xmas/New Year celebrations and just after it, which is when the BRF very much ease up on their engagement schedule anyway.

And Frogmore Cottage was not 'rebuilt' for the Sussexes. It was merely refitted and refurbished so it was suitable for one family not five. And the money used was from the Sovereign Grant which is there to repair and maintain buildings connected with the BRF. And that includes BP and apartments at KP as well.
I didn´t criticized them to "refurbish" Frogmore c., the media and certainly some parts of society, criticized them not for refurbishment-measures in general, but for the amount of money it took. Mainting old and historic relevant buildings is a must and necessity and not what it was about criticising the Sussexes.

I think it’s more the message that it sends. Needing a 6 week break for family time indicates they are under stress.

Plus they do have the freedom to do it. The succession is secured and other royals can be drafted in to fill any gaps. And to be honest I had the feeling living in Britain with all the restrictions of belonging to the Firm was Meghan’s cup of tea in the first place.

We shall see what happens but if they can live in America for 6 weeks I don’t see why they can’t go longer term.

Last edited:
The expenses involved structural changes to a very old building that had not been maintained properly for a very long time. News reports in some outlets contained inaccuracies that made it seem as if Meghan and Harry had demanded luxuries that they didn't. It was later made clear that Harry and Meghan had paid out of their own pockets for those extras.

Who says that the Sussexes are going to go and live in the US for six weeks? They are more likely in my opinion to be staying with friends in the UK or at Frogmore Cottage.

And long term, the same difficulties about a permanent abode in Africa apply to the US as well. Let's not forget that Harry is still a Counsellor of State which requires a UK permanent home, and both he and Meghan have patronages. Sorry to disappoint but the Sussexes aren't moving anywhere.

The Daily Mail take on the interview. It mentions that they will spend Thanksgiving with Doria in LA.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-royal-life.html?ico=pushly-notifcation-small

Unsurprisingly, the comments section, which is normally negative towards the Sussexes anyway, is already showing the backlash I predicted.

And long term, the same difficulties about a permanent abode in Africa apply to the US as well. Let's not forget that Harry is still a Counsellor of State which requires a UK permanent home, and both he and Meghan have patronages. Sorry to disappoint but the Sussexes aren't moving anywhere.
On the Counsellor of State issue, the law says that he Counsellors of State are the consort of the monarch and the first four people in the line of succession who are at least 21 years old (except the heir apparent or presumptive, who needs only to be 18 years old), domiciled in the UK , and a British subject.

If Harry becomes a resident of another country, he will simply cease to be a Counsellor of State.

Last edited:
Who says that the Sussexes are going to go and live in the US for six weeks? They are more likely in my opinion to be staying with friends in the UK or at Frogmore Cottage.

You’re talking logistics though. Harry has said he’d love to live abroad and where’s there’s a will there’s a way.

To me the fact he’d walk away from royal life if it were practical is the real story.

Thanksgiving in the US with Doria? That's a DM guess I would say, and they are so often wide of the mark. And Thanksgiving doesn't last for six weeks.

I take no notice whatsoever of that particular outlet's comment section, many of their posters don't live in Britain or Commonwealth countries anyway, but who seem to enjoy venting about people who can't answer them back.

And as for walking away from Royal life I'm sure that Harry isn't the only one in the BRF who has ever felt like that!

Last edited:
The Daily Mail take on the interview. It mentions that they will spend Thanksgiving with Doria in LA.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-royal-life.html?ico=pushly-notifcation-small

Unsurprisingly, the comments section, which is normally negative towards the Sussexes anyway, is already showing the backlash I predicted.

Of course there will backlash. People will say, if this life (or at least the downsides of it, because they have been clearly enjoying the upsides) are so unbearable, then go! But then go, and stop moaning about it.

People in the UK have other worries right now than listening to the complaints of a Prince and Princess of the UK who are supposed to do their jobs, what is to serve the public.
If now every public outing includes an emotional outburst, tears, complaints, drama of any other kind then please give up your life as working royals of the BRF. People are already losing patience.

As we know all these countries are completely independent of Britain and the crown. Just because they choose to be a member of the Commonwealth doesn’t give the royals standing.

Plus the human rights records in many of these countries is appalling. In my opinion it makes more sense to live and work in a realm where the Queen is actually the head of state than in a random African republic.

Of course there will backlash. People will say, if this life (or at least the downsides of it, because they have been clearly enjoying the upsides) are so unbearable, then go! But then go, and stop moaning about it.

People in the UK have other worries right now than listening to the complaints of a Prince and Princess of the UK who are supposed to do their jobs, what is to serve the public.
If now every public outing includes an emotional outburst, tears, complaints, drama of any other kind then please give up your life as working royals of the BRF. People are already losing patience.

It is not just that. The DM is (maybe maliciously) playing up Meghan's (out of context) quote that she is "existing, not living", which, put that way, sounds extremely insensititive and out of touch when there are millions of people in the world who have barely any food to eat, no access to medicines, drinking water, education, etc. Even in the UK, there are many struggling working class families and the country is in the middle of political upheaval and deeply divided.

Again, it is all out of context and maliciously played up, but that is how many people will see it.

Last edited:
The reporting is 6 weeks off, not unlike how the Cambridges regularly take off several weeks to "focus on their family" during term breaks. The Wessexes do the same.

Not 6 weeks abroad, in the US or where-ever. I imagine they will go to the US to see Doria but nothing indicates they are staying for longer than a holiday. Meghan also has visa requirements to contend with in terms of how much she can be out of country.

And I think taking some time away will be good for them. They took time off this summer but were still doing work bts (Meghan was working on Smart Works and doing Vogue). Some time off to recalibrate, re-focus and hopefully have the media leave them alone (fat chance) will be good. And November-January is a slower period anyway for the young royals, especially from mid-Dec on.

These two are such assets for the family. Its really a shame to see them being treated this way, especially Meghan. Disgusting really.

It is not just that. The DM is (maybe maliciously) playing up Meghan's (out of context) quote that she is "existing, not living", which, put that way, sounds extremely insentitive and out of touch when there are millions of people in the world who have barely any food to eat, no access to medicines, drinking water, education, etc. Even in the UK, there are many struggling working class families and the country is in the middle of political upheaval and deeply divided.

Again, it is all out of context and maliciously played up, but that is how many people will see it.

Which is exactly the point Harry made in his statement. The tabloid media has their agenda and its been clear that agenda has been to destroy Meghan. I am not being hyperbolic. This isn't about testing her, its about getting her out.

And it plays for their base. They are fomenting so much hate it is honestly frightening. Other members who have been accused of actual crimes don't drive this much media hate. One article about Meghan got over 25k comments (from a screenshot I saw, I stopped going to the DM awhile ago)! I've never seen that before not even about Brexit for goodness.

Its terrible to see.

The six week break to regroup seems very sensible to me if what we are mainly considering is the Sussex couple's emotional and mental health. They are clearly both under a great deal of strain, and that is not sustainable over the course of their working life.

However, I question whether a break of six weeks is really going to solve anything in the long term if Harry and Meghan are both really as close to the edge as the clips and printed interviews we have seen so far indicate. That seems very much like a bandaid on a much larger and more comprehensive problem. I'm beginning to wonder if a longer, working retreat to Africa might not actually be an excellent solution for a couple of years. I can see the appeal: it would move them a little bit out of the limelight, and perhaps give them time to regain some equilibrium. I speculated about that when the rumor first came up several months ago, and it certainly has some positive aspects now.

On the negative side, the need for a six week break when they've barely started working again after Meghan's maternity leave is not a good sign and unfortunately also feeds into some negative narratives.

The six week break to regroup seems very sensible to me if what we are mainly considering is the Sussex couple's emotional and mental health. They are clearly both under a great deal of strain, and that is not sustainable over the course of their working life.

However, I question whether a break of six weeks is really going to solve anything in the long term if Harry and Meghan are both really as close to the edge as the clips and printed interviews we have seen so far indicate. That seems very much like a bandaid on a much larger and more comprehensive problem. I'm beginning to wonder if a longer, working retreat to Africa might not actually be an excellent solution for a couple of years. I can see the appeal: it would move them a little bit out of the limelight, and perhaps give them time to regain some equilibrium. I speculated about that when the rumor first came up several months ago, and it certainly has some positive aspects now.

On the negative side, the need for a six week break when they've barely started working again after Meghan's maternity leave is not a good sign and unfortunately also feeds into some negative narratives.

Meghan is still technically on maternity leave. You get 11 months in the UK. Her not being back fully shouldn't be an issue and taking additional time off to focus on the family also shouldn't be. Same with Harry who worked throughout the summer as well.

Other royals in the past have taken long leaves between engagements to focus on their families. The 6 weeks for the Sussexes shouldn't actually be an issue. Especially since Meghan has already done so much in the 1.5 years she's been in the family.

Meghan is still technically on maternity leave. You get 11 months in the UK. Her not being back fully shouldn't be an issue and taking additional time off to focus on the family also shouldn't be. Same with Harry who worked throughout the summer as well.

Other royals in the past have taken long leaves between engagements to focus on their families. The 6 weeks for the Sussexes shouldn't actually be an issue. Especially since Meghan has already done so much in the 1.5 years she's been in the family.

As I said, I think it's a good idea for them personally. But there's a huge difference in "shouldn't be an issue" and how this all feeds into the narrative that is beginning to develop around the strain they are under. To be clear, I think they are wise to take some time off and lay low, and a break longer than six weeks might not even be a bad idea, but we'll see how this ends up affecting them in the longer term.

Taking a little break would be for them - as a family. Although it won’t cool things down. How do I know this? Because Meghan was away for months on maternity leave and the outside forces treated her like she was out in public and was committing crimes right before their very eyes.

Nothing will change unless these crazy attitudes towards this woman change.

Okay, my friends:

I can’t believe this is happening to this couple. I can’t believe this has been allowed to happen without an ounce of support from the family. I’m too emotional about all this, so I’m just gonna let you guys read Tom’s article.

How do you know the family is not supporting them? Maybe they are not listening. Don’t blame the family until you have heard from everyone.

I agree that the couple clearly need time off to rest and relax together and consider if time outside of the UK is what is best for their family, their Commonwealth work etc..IMHO since Harry's made a public statement about the possibility of living in South Africa this tells me that the BRF has been supportive of the idea.

How do you know the family is not supporting them? Maybe they are not listening. Don’t blame the family until you have heard from everyone.

Heard from everyone? Not one member of that family nor their aides have said anything about the smear campaign that has hit Meghan. Not one. They can clearly see it happening. They read the papers. They know what’s going on with the social media outlets. No one has pushed back against the nasty treatment Meghan is suffering from. They can say something. They have ways to make it known to the press that this behavior isn’t unacceptable. They haven’t done jack about any of this.

All this silence from the family hasn’t done anything but give people the room and permission to continue with the abuse.

Last edited:
Heard from everyone? Not one member of that family nor their aides have said anything about the smear campaign that has hit Meghan. Not one. They can clearly see it happening. They read the papers. They know what’s going on with the social media outlets. No one has pushed back against the nasty treatment Meghan is suffering from. They can say something. They have ways to make it known to the press that this behavior isn’t unacceptable. They haven’t done jack about any of this.

But at different times , certain Royal members have been attacked by the press , blogs , and forum such as these. Nothing have been publicly said. So you’re saying they should now start changing how they do things.

I really like Harry and Meghan, admire their work and sympathize with what they’ve gone through.

But- I admit- my first thought on taking 6 weeks off because they’ve had a hard time is: must be nice to have that option.

Back
Top Bottom