British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have what I suppose will be rather an unpopular view on the upcoming documentary. I suppose it's more correct to say, a view on the trailer released today, as we haven't seen the documentary.

I just don't feel that when you travel to highlight and bring attention to the very serious and life-threatening problems of other people, the setting is right to make a documentary that showcases the "pressure and pain" behind your own immensely privileged life.

That's not to say these two individuals do not have their own unique problems, pains, and pressures, nor that I think they should not share their story, nor even that I am not looking forward to the chance to hear (and see) it. But it's rather coming off like a man volunteering at the food bank as a backdrop to complain about the price of choice cakes.

I really hope they will both be able to speak out about things that matter. The only trouble is that everything they say and do is subject to the most minute scrutiny and will most probably come under attack again from outside forces.

:previous: I will simply wait to see what the documentary is all about. The trailer was very brief, so I'm not sure how it can be detected what the overall focus is about. Why prejudge in such a negative fashion?

Here's a brief trailer from the upcoming documentary on M&H's South Africa trip, which was filmed by Tom Bradby of ITV (who is also a friend of Harry's -- he and his wife were guests at M&H's wedding). The documentary is scheduled to air in Britain on October 20, 2019. This is just a brief clip, but it shows a couple of views of the Sussexes we haven't seen previously:
https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week43/harry-meghan-african-journey

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nterview-festering-wound-death-left-life.html

Publicly discussing his issues and dragging his mother into it again and again won't help the need to move on. If cameras are such a torture for him, a lot of actions in Harry's life don't add up.

Personally, I see it differently. If Harry can and does make his speeches on issues that not only affect him *personally* and giving examples of how it became *personal* to him through his mother, it makes his involvement with issues so much more meaningful and people pay attention to that.

If all it took is a puppet on a string reciting words that are mimicked by a ventriloquist, the royal family would have much, much more leisure time on their hands There are no strings attached to Harry and what you see is what you get. The real man. ?

Apparently this is one of the quotes from the interview;

"The Duke said he suffers constant flashbacks to the “bad stuff” as a result of his public role in the Royal Family, saying being in front of the cameras forces him to endure the “worst reminders” of her life." Telegraph

Frankly, he needs to get professional help. They also seriously need to think about stepping away from a life that his causing him so much trauma.

Video Clip of the Documentary:

"The Duke said he suffers constant flashbacks to the “bad stuff” as a result of his public role in the Royal Family, saying being in front of the cameras forces him to endure the “worst reminders” of her life." Telegraph

Frankly, he needs to get professional help. They also seriously need to think about stepping away from a life that his causing him so much trauma.

The question asked was 'do you feel at peace in a way yet?' (about his mother's death)

The look on his face and the words he chose indeed show that he is clearly still trying to somehow come to grips with what happens and associates it strongly with media/photographers. So, in a way this does explain their sometimes rather erratic behavior - on the one hand craving attention to further their causes and on the other hand loathing everything that comes with it. I do hope that he still has professional help - as he sought it previously based on William's advice.

Last edited:

Do you honestly believe the media would stop just because he no longer has an HRH in front of his name? If anything, it would be even more of a free for all.

And we don't have the full context of the quote or his follow up. I think calls for him needing help are a bit flippant.

Last edited:
So Harry is going to be tagged the crazy prince because he shares his feelings? At least he's honest. Just because you show you have it together doesn't mean you do have it together.

Very many people have to live, work, or both in situations that are constant reminders of the worst trauma of their lives. Harry has bravely, for the benefit of others, spoken about how this has driven him to the point of a mental breakdown and he has had to seek professional help, so I hope I am not remiss in bringing it up as far as he has already done so. I would say that, after 22 years, if "every single time" he sees a camera he is brought back to the worst memories of his life, that is very concerning indeed, and I do not mean that in a negative way towards the Duke. I wish the best for him.

Do you honestly believe the media would stop just because he no longer has an HRH in front of his name? If anything, it would be even more of a free for all.

And we don't have the full context of the quote or his follow up. I think calls for him needing help are a bit flippant.

I don't think the media is the point, though, really. He sounds as though he is in a lot of pain, which is hardly surprising considering what a vulnerable age he was, and how tragic his mother's death was. I don't think it's flippant to be concerned about some of his recent statements, and to hope that he finds a way to make peace with it.

I lost my mother (to cancer) when I was eleven and although I'm decades older than Harry I can attest to the fact that it impacts your life years later especially at milestones like weddings and the birth of children (and grandchildren.) These are highly emotional times of life anyway.

Also, I wasn't 'persuaded' by relatives to walk behind my mother's cortege with the eyes of the world (and its cameras) on me.

Archie's birth and the emotive visit to the landmine area in Angola where his mother walked so many years ago, have no doubt focused Harry's mind on his mother in the past month, probably more than usual.

However, the quotes in the newspaper and by Bradby may well refer to a couple of minutes in an hour's documentary, the same as a few moments in a speech to WellChild were highlighted by outside sources. Cherrypicking in these circumstances is not unknown, and personally I'm going to wait and see if Harry is crying or depressed throughout this documentary before making my mind up about his mental state.

Last edited:
Ok. Some folks on here are completely overreacting to the short preview clip from the documentary.

Video Clip:
Harry & Meghan: An African Journey - will air in the USA on October 23rd at 10pm ET Hosted by GMA’s Robin Roberts-

I’m glad that documentary has be quickly picked up for the North American audience. The Sussex’s South African tour was so inspirational, it was so nice to see some of the work being accomplished by the wonderful charities that were highlighted. I enjoyed all of the speeches and brief interviews that Harry and Meghan gave throughout the tour, so it will be extra special to hear directly from them again. I respect what the Sussexes choose to share with the public and when, as everyone deserves some privacy no matter who they are.

So Harry is going to be tagged the crazy prince because he shares his feelings? At least he's honest. Just because you show you have it together doesn't mean you do have it together.

Who’s tagging him as the crazy prince?

Well actually yes. As soon as Henry and his family become private citizens they have frankly a much better chance with the press.

Also nobody suggested he give up his HRH.

Harry and Meghan: Tour of Southern Africa - September 23-October 2, 2019

The couple claim they crave privacy and go out of their way to avoid royal conventions (birthgate, christeninggate etc) yet they constantly emote on camera like crazy celebrities distracting attention away from the causes they espouse. The young Meghan has always consciously attracted media attention with her agendas as so it goes on except she is top of the news agenda not her “concerns” like unemployment in South Africa.

Last edited:
Emotional outbursts like at the WellChild gala or the latest comments clearly show that Harry still has massive issues that need to be addressed.
The brothers came forward, what was a good thing, but at some point the past is the past and even if you are unable to move on in certain aspects, what is understandable, it is more helpful to address these aspects in private.
You can't have it both ways. If you feel tortured by cameras, don't feed them with dramatic personal statements.
I feel very irritated by the constant bringing up of Diana, even more so as the issue of Diana and the press was far from black and white, good and bad. It is far too complex to just mention it every step along the way.
I really hope he finds peace one day but it is time now to address any shortcomings in private, especially any issues that are related to the difficult and unique storyline of Diana.

Who’s tagging him as the crazy prince?

Well actually yes. As soon as Henry and his family become private citizens they have frankly a much better chance with the press.

Also nobody suggested he give up his HRH.

Even if he became plain Mr Harry Windsor and moved to the U.S. and worked at a bank ...the media will never leave him and his wife/children alone. He is still who he is.

LaRae

Emotional outbursts like at the WellChild gala or the latest comments clearly show that Harry still has massive issues that need to be addressed.
The brothers came forward, what was a good thing, but at some point the past is the past and even if you are unable to move on in certain aspects, what is understandable, it is more helpful to address these aspects in private.
You can't have it both ways. If you feel tortured by cameras, don't feed them with dramatic personal statements.
I feel very irritated by the constant bringing up of Diana, even more so as the issue of Diana and the press was far from black and white, good and bad. It is far too complex to just mention it every step along the way.
I really hope he finds peace one day but it is time now to address any shortcomings in private, especially any issues that are related to the difficult and unique storyline of Diana.

Of course he has issues...it's not been that long ago he finally started to seek professional help. My guess is he is still going to counseling of some sort ...this is often a process not a 'cure' where all the sudden you are better.

I also wonder if he's decided to show more emotion in order to perhaps say hey ..this is really hurting. In efforts to evoke some compassion and perhaps some will reconsider their actions.

As far as Diana goes...have you been on Twitter while the Cambridges are in Pakistan? You can hardly see a pic posted of them without some RR or Photographer posting 'Here's the pic I took of his mother X years ago' in the same place etc etc.

They went years not talking about her and it made little difference when it came to media attention to her past activities.

LaRae

I really hope this interview with Meghan and Harry doesn’t turn into a ‘woe is us, we have it so hard’ type of thing.

Using certain segments of the media to slag off unfavourable press won’t win many people over.

Another short clip:
Meghan-

I really hope this interview with Meghan and Harry doesn’t turn into a ‘woe is us, we have it so hard’ type of thing.

Using certain segments of the media to slag off unfavourable press won’t win many people over.

They’re mostly talking about the hurtful abuse they’ve been put through by the press. It’s not about “woe is us, we have it hard.” It’s about real feelings, real life, real human beings.

Last edited:
Even if he became plain Mr Harry Windsor and moved to the U.S. and worked at a bank ...the media will never leave him and his wife/children alone. He is still who he is.

LaRae

Except as a private citizen he has more rights than as he is now. Media can try and never leave him alone, but he can get restraining orders, bans an such which he can’t now because he’s a public person.

Re: the interviews that are being given. I’m just wholly confused right now. They scream for privacy and then pour their hearts out. Perhaps it’s an attempt to appeal to the press, for them to understand how it truly is affecting them.

Except as a private citizen he has more rights than as he is now. Media can try and never leave him alone, but he can get restraining orders, bans an such which he can’t now because he’s a public person.

Re: the interviews that are being given. I’m just wholly confused right now. They scream for privacy and then pour their hearts out. Perhaps it’s an attempt to appeal to the press, for them to understand how it truly is affecting them.

The British royals has never had it easy, but what we’ve witnessed Meghan go through is entirely on a different level. I know nothing about how it’s like to be publicly smeared in such a horrible and unfair manner, but going by the emotions of Meghan, and Harry having to watch it, it all must be extremely hard.

Harry is trying to protect Meghan from it and that’s his job and he should. But it must be extremely upsetting when parts of the outside forces (press) don’t accept your wife and don’t like you for publicly coming to her defense.

I wish the campaign would stop and everyone just focus on the work Meghan and Harry are doing as senior royals. Criticism is okay. No one is above it, but a smear campaign is different and no one deserves that.

Last edited:
The British royals has never had it easy, but what we’ve witnessed Meghan go through is entirely on a different level. I know nothing about how it’s like to be publicly smeared in such a horrible and unfair manner, but going by the emotions of Meghan, and Harry having to watch it, it all must be extremely hard.

Harry is trying to protect Meghan from it and that’s his job and he should. But it must be extremely upsetting when parts of the outside forces (press) don’t accept your wife and don’t like you for publicly coming to her defense.

I wish the campaign would stop and everyone just focus on the work Meghan and Harry are doing as senior royals. Criticism is okay. No one is above it, but a smear campaign is different and no one deserves that.

I think a large part of the problem is that the really over-the-top negativity is not coming from the press: it's coming from hate-blogs, Instagram, Twitter, and comment sections, and no number of lawsuits, or appeals for sympathy are going to affect those. I have seen posters come on this and other forums outraged at the media, and ascribing some really vile comments to the tabloids, and then I read the article, and it isn't good, but it's nowhere near the level of horrible that is being ascribed to it. In fact, it seems pretty much business as usual. Then you see those stories expanded, explicated, exaggerated and perpetuated on social media and hate blogs, and it's at a whole different level. The tabloid press is an easy target, and I'm definitely not defending them, but the really awful, awful stuff is not in the press, it's from other sources, and it's affecting not just royals, but a lot of other segments of our society. I have no answers, but I think the problem, and it is a problem, is unfortunately very much larger than the tabloid press.

Video Clip:
Harry and Meghan: An African Journey-

I think a large part of the problem is that the really over-the-top negativity is not coming from the press: it's coming from hate-blogs, Instagram, Twitter, and comment sections, and no number of lawsuits, or appeals for sympathy are going to affect those. I have seen posters come on this and other forums outraged at the media, and ascribing some really vile comments to the tabloids, and then I read the article, and it isn't good, but it's nowhere near the level of horrible that is being ascribed to it. In fact, it seems pretty much business as usual. Then you see those stories expanded, explicated, exaggerated and perpetuated on social media and hate blogs, and it's at a whole different level. The tabloid press is an easy target, and I'm definitely not defending them, but the really awful, awful stuff is not in the press, it's from other sources, and it's affecting not just royals, but a lot of other segments of our society. I have no answers, but I think the problem, and it is a problem, is unfortunately very much larger than the tabloid press.

Parts of the outside forces (press) have publicly smeared Meghan and parts of social media has helped fuel it. Some parts of the press has been doing this since Meghan entered Harry’s life. The campaign really caught fire after the Sussexes tour of Australia and New Zealand. The woman was pregnant, on maternity leave and then was at home taking care of her new born and folks within the press and on the net just lost their damn minds.

I came on here and said, “something has got to give” because I could clearly see the mess was uncontrollably snowballing. This isn’t some exaggeration. Go back and look at the coverage while Meghan was away and you’ll see what I’m talking about. I knew Harry was going to say something again and it happened.

Problem is some think what is taking place is normal. It isn’t.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom