Barbara Walters Special on the Windsors ("A Year with The Queen" edited) 2008 - ABC

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh, poor Harry. I still feel so sorry for him.

So Prince Harry is on his way back! So sorry the story was leaked.

Prince Philip is a gem! Love his wit.

Is that called the State Crown? It gives new meaning to the word bling!

Have you all paid attention to the queen's pace? She can move!

Of course I am going to watch it. I have my DVR set up to record it just in case I wish to watch again, and again. :D
8 pm, abc, 20/20, ready set go

2 1/2 pounds of priceless jewels on the queen's head!

I would have preferred watching the entire series and not having to see Barbara Walters.

Wow! HM looks so lovely in all white.

The next generation up next. So hopefully we'll see more of Charles and Camilla.

Buckingham Palace is so beautiful! Priceless works of art that happen to be family photos!

I'd rather see William and Harry than Charles and Camila, personally.

Monarchy protesters. Must take the bad with the good. We have protesters in Lafayette Park across from the White House in DC and there they are outside of Buckingham Palace.

"For Princess Anne to reign, all five of the males would have to die first."

Uh, thank you, Barbara Walters.

Last edited:
That was very subtle!

Wasn't it? I almost missed that! Where would we be without Ms. Walters' informative commentary?

Was that it? I didn't like the way it ended! Maybe because it was too short.

3 minutes left, but surely they'll wrap it up with a final word.

Yes, it was pretty short (maybe only an hour with all of those stupid commercials), but this documentary could have gone on for hours.

Did anyone notice how much wasn't said of Charles and Camilla? How to prepare for the next generation? Well tell us Barbara! Is America still hung up on Diana? I thought this was about the monarchy which is bigger than one person. How about discussing the next generation which at this point very much includes HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.

Last edited:
Well, that's true. The documentary was all Queen Elizabeth II. Then, oh look, a glimpse of Charles and Camila...oh, wait, is that William and Harry? *pans camera towards them*.

Maybe so much emphasis wasn't placed on them because by the looks of the way the Queen moves, she isn't anywhere near retirement. One would think she's going to outlive her oldest son!

"For Princess Anne to reign, all five of the males would have to die first."

Uh, thank you, Barbara Walters.

I watched with my grandma, and she commented on the "all five of the males" and said "Don't her other sons have children?"

Just like an American network to forget Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and James :bang:

I also noticed at the beginning they commented on how Beatrice was standing next to the queen, but it was Eugenie. Even one of the spectators said it was Beatrice!

But the program was really nice! I wish it had been longer though. I would have liked seeing the queen play granny more. I wish they'd put in more older footage about the queen's coronation and showing her raising her children. This whole thing seemed like an updated rehashing of that PBS special they had on a couple years ago. I want to see more about the royal family and less about the behind-the-scenes preparations for state dinners, as interesting as they are! I did like the beginning with all the family gathered at Buckingham Palace, and I thought it was cute that they kept showing Margarita bouncing around, but I wish they'd identified the family members for viewers who might not know who they all were!

Last edited:
I think it was probably heavily edited. I doubt that that was much of a real glimpse at all. But I enjoyed every second.

I'd never really heard from Prince Phillip or Prince Edward before and I was really impressed with the both of them. I think the whole family is a lot more friendlier than they're given credit for.

I'd never really heard from Prince Phillip or Prince Edward before and I was really impressed with the both of them. I think the whole family is a lot more friendlier than they're given credit for.

I have to agree. I now know what roles they play. They all seemed so down to earth.:flowers:

Prince Philip still cuts a dashing figure at his age. He still seems deeply in love with his wife.

I thought the program was pretty good but could've been better. It could've been more informative by being a series.

Back
Top Bottom