Barbara Walters Special on the Windsors ("A Year with The Queen" edited) 2008 - ABC

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was without commercials about 1 hour and 45 min, give or take a few minutes. I wish it was a full series rather than edited down to such a short amount of time. But I still managed to enjoy.

I just finished watching it, it was soo good everything I expected, I just wish it was longer.

I agree, it was too short and I really could have done without the commentary. That's why I just pre-ordered the complete version from amazon.ca (the estimated shipping date is April 8th). :)

I would have preferred watching the entire series and not having to see Barbara Walters.

The program doesn't start for another twenty minutes or so here in LA... please don't tell me that I have to listen to Barwa WaWa for the next two hours:rolleyes:

I agree, it was too short and I really could have done without the commentary. That's why I just pre-ordered the complete version from amazon.ca (the estimated shipping date is April 8th). :)

Now that is deffinetly something I'm going to do!

The program doesn't start for another twenty minutes or so here in LA... please don't tell me that I have to listen to Barwa WaWa for the next two hours:rolleyes:

You're going to love her!:rolleyes: She still didn't spoil the show. Most of the time I tuned her out but I did catch her comment about Princess Anne. You're going to love that one!:ohmy:

You're going to love her!:rolleyes: She still didn't spoil the show. Most of the time I tuned her out but I did catch her comment about Princess Anne. You're going to love that one!:ohmy:

Great.:cool:

Is this program coming out on DVD anytime soon? I see the book is available in Amazon, but I'd rather watch it on DVD instead.

I can't believe the didn't catch that remark in editing. I wish it would have been longer too and had less commercials.

GlitteringTiaras,
Maybe you can post what tiara Her Majesty is wearing at the State Dinner at the White House. Please.:D I don't know if it will be on DVD or not.

I can't believe the didn't catch that remark in editing. I wish it would have been longer too and had less commercials.

If it was edited for American audiences, it clearly stood as is. I thought it was very insensitive but maybe it was left so Americans got a clear point of view of where stands in the line of succession. It could've been any plainer than that!:ROFLMAO:

No, she didn't mince any words.

Five minutes into this program, and there are many mistakes made on Barwa's part. Someone should email her, via the View, and tell her how incredibly sloppy her reporting is/was.

Commentary in the beginning of the program is clearly tailored for an American audience... I'm so embarrassed.

I'm beginning to realize that this program is very similar to the DVD that I already own entitled, Windsor Castle, which originally aired sometime ago on PBS. Everything about this show so far, including the music, behind the scenes in the kitchen, butlers, state dinner, footmen, chef, the French wine guy, and so forth is exactly the same.

Hmm, I'm not liking it... mainly due to Barwa's commentary... ugh:rolleyes:

I'm not sure which one it is. We need some of our royal jewel experts to clue us in.

It's the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara, known in the family as Granny's tiara because it was a wedding present to Queen Mary from the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland. Queen Mary gave it to the Queen as a wedding present, which is why we've never seen the Queen Mother wearing it. Apparently it's fairly light, as tiaras go, so it's one of the Queen's favourites.

We've got some threads about the Queen's tiaras and necklaces over in the Royal Jewels forum.

Last edited:
What a wonderful program! Interesting and I loved (as an American) how other Americans swoon over the queen. An individual who holds people in true captivation is a remarkalbe person. I wonder if she bowls? ;)

I wonder when the "Royal Welsh Guards" became a regiment.

"For Princess Anne to reign, all five of the males would have to die first."

Uh, thank you, Barbara Walters.

6 now, actually. Charles, William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, James. Plus 3 females. Beatrice, Eugenie, and Louise.

I missed the show due to an emergency but got an email from a friend wanting to know about the Queen's drink that was mentioned...Something about 2 cubes of ice and a ratio of 70/30. Information on Her Majesty's potent potable will be much appreciated! Thanx!

Yep, Barbara Walters spoke many mistakes in her commentaries, but I was expecting it. It's always the same with American commentaries on the British royal family. So it didn't bother me. I just enjoyed it for what it was. I liked the video coverage and watching the royals in action, and especially enjoyed the commentaries from the royals themselves.

As for people who missed it, there is a possibility that it will be available on iTunes, as the Matt Lauer interview with PW&PH is. So hang tight. :)

Who cares about the next generation?! I found The Queen and her husband The Duke to be plenty and enough for this documentary. I would have enjoyed twice as much of her and him; what a life they have led, with honor and with courage! When she leaves, the last of true Majesty will go from the shores of her country.

( I cringed each time the Bushes came on - so paltry by comparison. Bush welcoming "Their Majesties" at the State dinner as I shrieked "HER Majesty, HIS Royal Highness!" and when the foursome turned to go into the White House, Laura Bush extending her hand to herd The Duke through the door, like he was some animal on her ranch - ugh! I adored his quick side-step and left-hand-across-his-back to duck and cover.)

Yes, Americans still swoon over The Queen, the way they won't over the "next generation." She is quite simply astonishing, and this documentary underscores that. My BIL participated in the ceremonies at Jamestown and Williamsburg, as a member of the Queens Rangers. It was thrilling seeing Her Majesty live at my alma mater, and to re-see it last night.

And The Duke! I've always had a soft spot for him, but I can see - even with the years and the mileage on him - what The Queen saw when she fell for him all those years ago.

Long live The Queen! Long live The Duke!

Ok it was nice but, Boaring

I think it was probably heavily edited. I doubt that that was much of a real glimpse at all. But I enjoyed every second.

it was a good show. But, Like someone said, just a rehash of a PBS special.

& Eventhough, I did like it. I agree it was very very heavly edited. BIG TIME.

I too wish that it was longer.

But, it was good( Not great, it won't be winning any awards or anythiing.) But, it was good.

I for one care about the next generation as well as everyone should who follows diplomatic relationship between our countries. If this had been a series, maybe more would've been reported them. However, the main focus of should've been exactly what it was which was the queen.

Would the Queen ever wear her Garter Robes while mounted on a horse? Don't think so -- what brain surgeon would come up with such a demented idea.

Reminds me of the scene in The Princess Diaries when Julie Andrews walks around wearing a crown and a business suit. Now, what queen in real life would do that??

People who don't pay attention to these matters have some of the weirdest ideas.
I totally agree. That idea was WAY out there, even for Annie L.

I missed the show due to an emergency but got an email from a friend wanting to know about the Queen's drink that was mentioned...Something about 2 cubes of ice and a ratio of 70/30. Information on Her Majesty's potent potable will be much appreciated! Thanx!
It was gin and Dubonnet. And a slice of lemon, I think. :flowers:

Having seen this part (the predictable stuff) just made me want to see the BBC version. I did like the bits they did manage to show of the Queen and family, some background goings on. Could have done without Barbara.
I did like the photo session part (commented on at the time in another thread), Annie L. was totally out of line with some of her suggestions but the Queen did laugh it off--not edited here as if she stormed out of the session. Of course, Her Majesty won out and got her way (as she should).
A horse inside Buckingham Palace? Please!

I also liked the shot of the Queen peeking over the stairs waiting for the President of Ghana (Gambia? escapes me now) to come up, Prince Phillip having to use the freight elevator. Just shows a glimpse of the inner girl keeping her young at heart. I hope I'm that agile and alert at 81.

Five minutes into this program, and there are many mistakes made on Barwa's part. Someone should email her, via the View, and tell her how incredibly sloppy her reporting is/was.

Commentary in the beginning of the program is clearly tailored for an American audience... I'm so embarrassed.

I wanted to slap the speech impediment out of her when she said five males would have to die before The Princess Royal Anne would take the throne.

I was very disappointed in this "special". I understood it was going to be a cut-down version of the 5 1/2 hour BBC documentary of a year in the life of the Queen, but I also saw it billed in the tv guide as a look at the private lives of the royals. Boy, was that misleading! What we saw was royals performing their public duties - meet & greats with the public, state visits, opening of parliment. Nothing private in that. And speaking of state visits, did they really need to devote roughly half of the program to the Queen's visit to the US last year? Seeing as how this program was airing in the US and we all lived through that event and the accompanying press coverage, I think they could have skipped that part and shown us other things instead. I will say the part I found interesting was Princess Anne and Prince Edward talking about how they felt when they were young and started carrying royal duties as compared to now. overall I'd say it was a waste of tape, except my mom missed most of it and so she can watch my recording of it.

I also liked the shot of the Queen peeking over the stairs waiting for the President of Ghana to come up, Prince Phillip having to use the freight elevator. Just shows a glimpse of the inner girl keeping her young at heart. I hope I'm that agile and alert at 81.

I also found this part amusing. I hope I can manuver like that at 81 too.:lol:

It was gin and Dubonnet. And a slice of lemon, I think. :flowers:

Thanks,ellen. I was wondering what her drink was too, but I couldn't understand the man entirely, as I could only make out his explanation about the ice on top. What did he mean when he said, it's just for HM? Only HM has that kind of drink, or she has a specially cyphered glass? I thought all the glasses bear her cypher at the palace parties.
Thanks again for answering the question about the drink. I really did want to know it. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom