HM Queen Elizabeth II​ - Rest In Peace
The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #381  
Old 09-13-2021, 10:11 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Wouldn't that simply be because the provisions are not the present King's to make? All of his children and children-in-law waited until their thirties to have children of their own. If the sons of Prince Carl Philip do the same, then (unless authority over the Royal House has been shifted to the Government by then) it would almost surely be Queen Victoria who has the authority to make provisions when her brother's grandchildren are born.
I'd say that the King had more leeway to act upon the issue as part of his reform than his daughter will have when she ascends the throne in the future. If the King felt it important to continue the agnatic line of the House of Bernadotte he would have found a way to do so. Since he didn't I interpret it as him seeing his daughter as both the monarch and the future head of the house and not his son.
The Bernadottes in general have proven to be quite unsentimental when it comes to cutting off branches of the family tree either because of need, convenience or for misbehaving.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 09-21-2021, 08:07 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 8,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The report thoroughly investigates the different point of discussions on the forums since 2019 such as the the king's right to rule over his house, what differentiates Konungahuset - Kungliga huset - Kungafamiljen and finds that he was clearly within his rights to do so.

Konungahuset - everyone in the line of succession
Kungliga huset - The monarch, those closest to the throne in the line of succession and their spouses
Kungliga familjen - those in the line of succession, their spouses and some members of the House of Bernadotte without succession rights

The monarch are as master/mistress of their house free to regulate titles, styles, orders and conditions for those within the line of succession in this new interpretation of the Royal house as long as it doesn't clearly contradict the constitution. Regarding the orders there are apparently also a few regulations in the Order chapter that allows for example Prince Julian to receive the Order of the Seraphim.

So, if I understand it correctly, Prince Julian and his brothers, as well as Princess Madeleine's children, are considered members of Konungahuset , but not of the Kungliga Huset, which includes only those that are "closer to the throne".

The interpretation above is consistent with Prince Julian being able to receive the Order of the Seraphim as the order proclamation actually uses the word Konungahuset. The Act of Succession, on the other hand, uses Det Kungl. Huset, which would exempt Princess Madeline's children under the interpretation above from being raised in Sweden for example to retain their succession rights.


On titles and styles, no big surprise as it was already a consensus here on TRF that they are up to the King's own discretion. I wonder, however, if this is the first time a distinction between Konungahuset and Det Kungliga Huset has been actually made.

EDIT: I see some inconsistency, however, in the definitions in the report. Prince Carl Philip's children are closer to the throne than Princess Madeleine, but they are not members of Det Kungl. Huset whereas their aunt is. Maybe what the report should have said is that Det Kungl. Huset includes those who were closer to the throne in the line of succession when they were born? It would make more sense.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 09-21-2021, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
On titles and styles, no big surprise as it was already a consensus here on TRF that they are up to the King's own discretion.
I have obviously not read the hundreds of pages in the report and the annexed legal study, but the interpretation that decisions regarding the titles of prince/ss and HRH are the king's prerogative as the head of the royal house, not as the head of state (page 138 of the report), are a surprise to me. I have difficulty with it because in my eyes the titles are associated with the state, not the house/family.


Quote:
I egenskap av kungahusets överhuvud har Kung Carl XVI Gustaf vidare makt att bestämma i vissa frågor som rör kungahuset (s.k. husmakt). När husmakten utövas är det inte i form av ett agerande som statschef utan som kungahusets överhuvud. Husmakten omfattar bl.a. beslut om användande av prins- och prinsesstitlar liksom titeln Kunglig höghet.
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 09-21-2021, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,272
For clarification, the study annexed to the report which is cited in the above posts can be found here:

https://regeringen.se/4a718f/content...174-bilaga.pdf

The report itself:

https://regeringen.se/4a6941/content...sou-202174.pdf



The section of the English-language summary in the annex which covers the definitions of the royal house, titles and styles:

The concepts ‘royal house’ and ‘royal family’, and their other counterparts in Swedish (konungahuset, konungaätten, kungl. huset, kungl. familjen and kungahuset) have been used in legislation and other official documents in a way that can hardly be considered consistent. The concepts cannot be given a uniform interpretation but must be assessed based on their context in each individual case. However, some guidelines can be identified.

In line with ch. 5 of the Instrument of Government, the term ‘royal house’ (konungahuset) is interpreted as covering all those entitled to the succession, but not others. Kungl. huset includes those closest to the succession and those closest to a reigning monarch, and their spouses. Those who belong to Kungl. huset are given the title royal highness. Kungl. familjen includes all those entitled to the succession and their spouses as well as certain members of the Bernadotte family who have no right of succession.
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 09-21-2021, 10:41 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 8,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
For clarification, the study annexed to the report which is cited in the above posts can be found here:

https://regeringen.se/4a718f/content...174-bilaga.pdf

The report itself:

https://regeringen.se/4a6941/content...sou-202174.pdf



The section of the English-language summary in the annex which covers the definitions of the royal house, titles and styles:
The concepts ‘royal house’ and ‘royal family’, and their other counterparts in Swedish (konungahuset, konungaätten, kungl. huset, kungl. familjen and kungahuset) have been used in legislation and other official documents in a way that can hardly be considered consistent. The concepts cannot be given a uniform interpretation but must be assessed based on their context in each individual case. However, some guidelines can be identified.

In line with ch. 5 of the Instrument of Government, the term ‘royal house’ (konungahuset) is interpreted as covering all those entitled to the succession, but not others. Kungl. huset includes those closest to the succession and those closest to a reigning monarch, and their spouses. Those who belong to Kungl. huset are given the title royal highness. Kungl. familjen includes all those entitled to the succession and their spouses as well as certain members of the Bernadotte family who have no right of succession.

That is actually clearer, thank you. So Kungl. huset includes "those closest to the succession and those closest to a reigning monarch, and their spouses", which justifies the inclusion of the King's younger children even if they are further down in the line of succession.


The interpretation of Konungahuset as covering all those entitled to the succession is also consistent, as the Report says, with Chapter 5 of the Instrument of Government. For example, when dealing with the extinction of the line of succession, the aforementioned Chapter says:


Quote:
Om konungahuset utslocknar väljer riksdagen en riksföreståndare som ska fullgöra statschefens uppgifter tills vidare. Riksdagen väljer samtidigt en vice riksföreståndare.
The real tricky issue to me is the Act of Succession because it imposes a series of obligations and restrictions on a "prince and princess of the Royal House", which, in the original text, reads as "Prins och prinsessa av det kungl. huset".


It follows from the Report then that most constitutional restrictions and obligations in the Act of Succession apply only to people in the line to the Throne who are "closest to the succession and/or closest to a reigning monarch" and, as long as the King can choose who those people are (for example, decide who has the title of Prince and the style of HRH or not), the King in practice has the discretionary power to determine unilaterally to whom important constitutional rules apply, which is remarkable.


EDIT: Looking further into the report, it looks like that the Committee actually disagrees with the interpretation above and says that the Act of Succession rules apply to everyone with succession rights and that, in the said Act, Det Kungl. Huset means all persons in the line of succession. Am I missing something in translation?



Quote:
Både ”kungl. huset” och ”kungl. familjen” förekommer som begrepp
i successionsordningen.
Enligt successionsordningen innebär det kungliga huset de successionsberättigade
och deras gemåler (barn, deras gemåler och barnbarn
till Kung Carl XVI Gustaf, även Drottning Silvia ingår därmed i det
kungliga huset). Det kungliga huset har som begrepp också använts
av konungen när han preciserat den krets inom den kungliga familjen
som kan förväntas tas i anspråk för sådana uppdrag som åligger statschefen
eller anknyter till statschefsämbetet. Genom ett beslut av
konungen den 7 oktober 2019 gäller att Prins Carl Philips barn eller Prinsessan Madeleines barn, i det här avseendet, inte längre ingår av det kungliga huset. De omfattas emellertid fortfarande av successionsrätten.
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 09-22-2021, 12:51 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 12,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
For clarification, the study annexed to the report which is cited in the above posts can be found here:

https://regeringen.se/4a718f/content...174-bilaga.pdf

The report itself:

https://regeringen.se/4a6941/content...sou-202174.pdf



The section of the English-language summary in the annex which covers the definitions of the royal house, titles and styles:

The concepts ‘royal house’ and ‘royal family’, and their other counterparts in Swedish (konungahuset, konungaätten, kungl. huset, kungl. familjen and kungahuset) have been used in legislation and other official documents in a way that can hardly be considered consistent. The concepts cannot be given a uniform interpretation but must be assessed based on their context in each individual case. However, some guidelines can be identified.

In line with ch. 5 of the Instrument of Government, the term ‘royal house’ (konungahuset) is interpreted as covering all those entitled to the succession, but not others. Kungl. huset includes those closest to the succession and those closest to a reigning monarch, and their spouses. Those who belong to Kungl. huset are given the title royal highness. Kungl. familjen includes all those entitled to the succession and their spouses as well as certain members of the Bernadotte family who have no right of succession.
The above definition of royal family and Royal House looks similar to monarchies which know this for decades:

Spanish Royal House:

the King and consort Felipe and Letizia
the future King and consort princess Leonor
the former King and consort Juan Carlos and Sofía
child of the (future) King and consort infanta Sofía

Dutch Royal House:

the King and consort Willem-Alexander and Máxima
the future King and consort princess Catharina-Amalia
the former King and consort princess Beatrix
child of a (future) King, with succession rights, and consort princess Alexia, princess Ariane, prince Constantijn, princess Laurentien, princess Margriet and Pieter

I have the idea the Swedish concept of Royal House comes close to the Dutch idea:

the King and consort Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia
the future King and consort crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel
the former King and consort ---
child of a (future) King, with succession rights, and consort prince Oscar, prince Carl Philip and princess Sofia, princess Madeleine and Christopher
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 09-22-2021, 01:17 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The above definition of royal family and Royal House looks similar to monarchies which know this for decades:

Spanish Royal House:

the King and consort Felipe and Letizia
the future King and consort princess Leonor
the former King and consort Juan Carlos and Sofía
child of the (future) King and consort infanta Sofía

Dutch Royal House:

the King and consort Willem-Alexander and Máxima
the future King and consort princess Catharina-Amalia
the former King and consort princess Beatrix
child of a (future) King, with succession rights, and consort princess Alexia, princess Ariane, princess Margriet and Pieter

I have the idea the Swedish concept of Royal House comes close to the Dutch idea:

the King and consort Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia
the future King and consort crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel
the former King and consort ---
child of a (future) King, with succession rights, and consort prince Oscar, prince Carl Philip and princess Sofia, princess Madeleine and Christopher



Aren't in the the Netherlands also the children of a former King members of the Royal House like Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien?. This is again different as to how it is in Spain and the confusing thing is that in Spain it is the Royal Family and not the Royal House like in other countries.
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 09-22-2021, 06:49 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 12,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Aren't in the the Netherlands also the children of a former King members of the Royal House like Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien?. This is again different as to how it is in Spain and the confusing thing is that in Spain it is the Royal Family and not the Royal House like in other countries.
Oh yes, of course, how could I forget Constantijn. By the way in Spain it is familia real (royal family) and Casa Real (Royal House). So they have the same concept. The Spanish website is also called The Royal House (casareal.es) like the Dutch one (koninklijkhuis.nl). The Swedish one is still called The King's House (kungahuset.se).

The proposed Swedish Royal House looks less strict than the Spanish one and more alike the Dutch, as it also includes siblings of a King, with succession rights.
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 02-15-2022, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
EDIT: Looking further into the report, it looks like that the Committee actually disagrees with the interpretation above and says that the Act of Succession rules apply to everyone with succession rights and that, in the said Act, Det Kungl. Huset means all persons in the line of succession. Am I missing something in translation?
I still have not read through the report and the appended analysis, but on the basis of the summary, it seems the position is that terms such as Kungliga Huset / Royal House are flexibly interpreted, and their definitions will differ case-by-case depending on which law or scenario is under consideration.
"The concepts ‘royal house’ and ‘royal family’, and their other counterparts in Swedish (konungahuset, konungaätten, kungl. huset, kungl. familjen and kungahuset) have been used in legislation and other official documents in a way that can hardly be considered consistent. The concepts cannot be given a uniform interpretation but must be assessed based on their context in each individual case."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
By the way in Spain it is familia real (royal family) and Casa Real (Royal House). So they have the same concept. The Spanish website is also called The Royal House (casareal.es) like the Dutch one (koninklijkhuis.nl).
Casa Real (Royal House) denotes the royal household. The Spanish king and queen, their children, and the king emeritus and queen emerita constitute the Familia Real (Royal Family).

https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-1981-28756


Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
child of a (future) King, with succession rights, and consort prince Oscar, prince Carl Philip and princess Sofia, princess Madeleine and Christopher
The King ruled that Christopher O'Neill would not be a member of the Royal House (or the Royal Family) and would remain a private citizen because Mr. O'Neill did not renounce his outside commercial interests or take up Swedish citizenship.

https://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt...119aa5da0.html
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 02-15-2022, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Different use than in Sweden. There they use terms like The Crown Princess Couple (Victoria & Daniel), The Prince Couple (Carl Philip & Sofia) and The Princess Couple (Madeleine & Chris). And Estelle is just 'Princess Estelle' and not 'The Princess'.
In Sweden, The Princess (Prinsessan) is used for all princesses, but the distinction between Prinsessan (The Princess) and Prinsessa (Princess) in Swedish is not carried through to the English translation.

https://www.kungahuset.se/kungafamil...b80002606.html

For some reason, the usage is different for the Swedish princes, who are Prins (Prince) rather than Prinsen (The Prince).
Reply With Quote
  #391  
Old 02-15-2022, 06:28 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
In Sweden, The Princess (Prinsessan) is used for all princesses, but the distinction between Prinsessan (The Princess) and Prinsessa (Princess) in Swedish is not carried through to the English translation.

https://www.kungahuset.se/kungafamil...b80002606.html

For some reason, the usage is different for the Swedish princes, who are Prins (Prince) rather than Prinsen (The Prince).

There is no distinction, it's just Swedish grammar. The definitive form is put at the end of the noun, -an for female and -en for male words. For some reason it sounds really odd to say prinsen before the name but it's not wrong, just awkward, in some instances, but not always.
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 02-15-2022, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpot View Post
There is no distinction, it's just Swedish grammar. The definitive form is put at the end of the noun, -an for female and -en for male words. For some reason it sounds really odd to say prinsen before the name but it's not wrong, just awkward, in some instances, but not always.
But you said it yourself: -an/-en indicates the definite form. So there is a distinction in Swedish grammar between the definite form (Prinsessan and Prinsen) and the indefinite form (Prinsessa and Prins).
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 04-04-2022, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,272
People who have read my posts in the past two years, after Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine's children lost their membership in the Royal House, might remember me writing several times that although the Royal Court at the time did not clarify whether the children retained their titles of Princess/Prince of Sweden, I thought it was extremely likely (indeed, I think I said I was almost certain) that they had lost them and only retained the courtesy title of Princess/Prince. Not only because it was the way the three sisters of the King who married unequally were treated, but because, as others previously pointed out, when the changes were made to the Royal House in 2019 the Royal Court edited the children's entries at the official website to remove the reference to "Princess/Prince of Sweden".

For example, here is the section for Princess Leonore when she belonged to the Royal House:

H.K.H. Prinsessan Leonore

Leonore Lilian Maria, Prinsessa av Sverige, Hertiginna av Gotland, föddes den 20 februari 2014 som första barn till Prinsessan Madeleine och herr Christopher O'Neill.

Compare it to her entry as it appeared after her removal from the Royal House:

Prinsessan Leonore

Prinsessan Leonore Lilian Maria föddes den 20 februari 2014. Prinsessan är Hertiginna av Gotland. Prinsessan Leonore döptes i Drottningholms slottskyrka den 8 juni 2014.

In contrast, the section for Prince Oscar (who remains a member of the Royal House) remained unchanged at the time and continued to include "Prince of Sweden".



However, the recently renewed official website has clarified the situation at last. Unlike the unequally married sisters of the King, the children of the King's younger children did retain their title of Princess/Prince of Sweden.

https://www.kungahuset.se/english/royal-house


Here is the beginning of the new entry for Princess Leonore:

Leonore Lilian Maria

Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Gotland
*Ledamot och kommendör av Kungl. Maj:ts Orden*

[...]

For comparison, the entry for Princess Christina:

Christina Louise Helena

Holds the title Princess Christina, Mrs Magnuson
*Ledamot och kommendör av Kungl. Maj:ts Orden*

[...]

I will say that while I am pleased the Royal Court has finally provided a clear answer, it comes as a surprise to me, because why did the court bother to remove the Princess/Prince of Sweden from the biographies of Alexander, Gabriel, Leonore, Nicolas, and Adrienne in 2019 if no change to that title was ever intended?

I wonder if the Royal Court might have consciously left it ambiguous in 2019 because at that stage the parliamentary inquiry into the Royal House was still in progress. As we saw in the parliamentary reports last year, the inquiry into the Royal House's appanage branched out to study a variety of legal issues including the succession to the crown and the dynastic rights of different categories of family members. Perhaps this is a stretch, but I wonder if the Royal Court was intentionally vague about the Princess/Prince of Sweden issue until the report was complete just in case the report decided the Act of Succession's "raised within the realm" clause should be read as meaning that Princesses/Princes of Sweden were required to be raised in Sweden.
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 04-05-2022, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,272
And some further title-related updates from the renewed website:

The King's title apparently no longer includes Duke of Jämtland.

https://www.kungahuset.se/kungl.-huset/h.m.-konungen

The King's father is now designated as Hereditary Prince Gustaf Adolf in some sections of the website (even though the title was not officially used by the court during his lifetime).
https://www.kungahuset.se/kungl.-huset/atten-bernadotte

It is clarified that the King created the Crown Princess Duchess of Västergötland on January 9, 1980. She had become Crown Princess on January 1, 1980.
https://www.kungahuset.se/kungl.-hus...kronprinsessan

I had always wrongly assumed that Victoria was created a Duchess when she became Crown Princess. I wonder what the reason was for the eight-day gap.
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 04-05-2022, 08:34 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 8,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
People who have read my posts in the past two years, after Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine's children lost their membership in the Royal House, might remember me writing several times that although the Royal Court at the time did not clarify whether the children retained their titles of Princess/Prince of Sweden, I thought it was extremely likely (indeed, I think I said I was almost certain) that they had lost them and only retained the courtesy title of Princess/Prince. Not only because it was the way the three sisters of the King who married unequally were treated, but because, as others previously pointed out, when the changes were made to the Royal House in 2019 the Royal Court edited the children's entries at the official website to remove the reference to "Princess/Prince of Sweden".

For example, here is the section for Princess Leonore when she belonged to the Royal House:

H.K.H. Prinsessan Leonore

Leonore Lilian Maria, Prinsessa av Sverige, Hertiginna av Gotland, föddes den 20 februari 2014 som första barn till Prinsessan Madeleine och herr Christopher O'Neill.
Compare it to her entry as it appeared after her removal from the Royal House:

Prinsessan Leonore

Prinsessan Leonore Lilian Maria föddes den 20 februari 2014. Prinsessan är Hertiginna av Gotland. Prinsessan Leonore döptes i Drottningholms slottskyrka den 8 juni 2014.
In contrast, the section for Prince Oscar (who remains a member of the Royal House) remained unchanged at the time and continued to include "Prince of Sweden".



However, the recently renewed official website has clarified the situation at last. Unlike the unequally married sisters of the King, the children of the King's younger children did retain their title of Princess/Prince of Sweden.

https://www.kungahuset.se/english/royal-house


Here is the beginning of the new entry for Princess Leonore:

Leonore Lilian Maria

Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Gotland
*Ledamot och kommendör av Kungl. Maj:ts Orden*

[...]
For comparison, the entry for Princess Christina:

Christina Louise Helena

Holds the title Princess Christina, Mrs Magnuson
*Ledamot och kommendör av Kungl. Maj:ts Orden*

[...]
I will say that while I am pleased the Royal Court has finally provided a clear answer, it comes as a surprise to me, because why did the court bother to remove the Princess/Prince of Sweden from the biographies of Alexander, Gabriel, Leonore, Nicolas, and Adrienne in 2019 if no change to that title was ever intended?

I wonder if the Royal Court might have consciously left it ambiguous in 2019 because at that stage the parliamentary inquiry into the Royal House was still in progress. As we saw in the parliamentary reports last year, the inquiry into the Royal House's appanage branched out to study a variety of legal issues including the succession to the crown and the dynastic rights of different categories of family members. Perhaps this is a stretch, but I wonder if the Royal Court was intentionally vague about the Princess/Prince of Sweden issue until the report was complete just in case the report decided the Act of Succession's "raised within the realm" clause should be read as meaning that Princesses/Princes of Sweden were required to be raised in Sweden.



That is all surprising, but I suspect it has to do with the opinion of the Constitutional Committee that the category of "princes and princesses of Royal House" as used in the Act of Succession includes all persons in the line of succession, regardless of their being designated HRHs and members of the Royal House by the Royal Court or not.



By implication, I would assume that the legal requirement in the Act of Succession that "princes and princesses of the Royal House" be raised in Sweden still applies to Princess Madeleine's children. Leonore, in particular, is already of school age, which, in the past, was mentioned by the Court as the age threshold for the residence requirement to be enforced. So, I wonder what the legal implications will be for Madeleine's children as far as their status as "Princes/Princesses of Sweden" is concerned.
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 09-28-2022, 07:55 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 8,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Bernadotte: When Crown Princess Victoria married Daniel Westling, the Tax Agency found that the family had the surname Bernadotte notwithstanding that they did not use it. There is no law that says Alexander et al could not resume its use.

Prince: While Julian was never a member of the Royal House and thus did not have an HRH or of Sweden, he was created Prince Julian and Duke of Halland by the King, so we can be sure the King at least has the authority to create members of his family Prince/Princess and Duke/Duchess as personal honorary titles. However, the Marshal of the Court claimed at the press conference in 2019 that the grandchildren who were removed from the Royal House were not to share their titles with future spouses and children.

Count: The paragraph stating that the King could ennoble counts (as well as barons and untitled nobility) was removed from the new Constitution in 1975, but the new Constitution did not explicitly disallow the King from creating counts and barons. By way of comparison, the paragraph stating that the King could create dukedoms for royal princes was removed in 1975 as well, but it is clear many more ducal creations have followed after 1975.
Bernadotte: I don't find the specific reference you quoted to be authoritative. First of all, the author himself says that the King's lawyer and the Tax Agency disagree on whether the Royal Family does not have a legal surname , or has one, but does not use it. Second, he admits that, if the Tax Agency's interpretation is correct, its practice of allowing members of the Royal Family to be registered with an asterisk in the surname field is contradictory. Third, he makes a conjecture that the Tax Agency's practice will be abandoned for people born under the new naming law; that conjecture has now been proven false since Princess Estelle at least has been registered with an asterisk in the surname field .

Prince: the Royal Court website has now reverted to refer to Carl Philip's and Madeleine's children as Prince/Princess [xxx] "of Sweden". Moreover, regardless of the definition that the Court uses for "the Royal House" versus the "Royal Family", the constitutional committee of the Swedish Parliament has confirmed that all persons in the line of succession are members of the "Royal House" for the purposes of the Act of Succession, the Instrument of Government, and, I would assume, other public laws and regulations including the law on the use of the Coat of Arms of the Kingdom of Sweden and the ordinance regulating the Royal Orders of Knighthood. That explains why the King's grandchidren can be Knights/Members of the Order of the Seraphim and can use a differenced version of the Grand Coat of Arms of the Kingdom as their personal arms. They are also probaby still subject to the restrictions imposed on "Princes and Princesses of the Royal House" by the Act of Succession. Those are gray areas, however.

Count: if a power is not explicitly attributed to the King by the constitution, then the King does not have such power, unless it is recognized as a royal prerogative by unwritten constitutional convention. It is generally acccepted in Sweden, even by the House of Nobility itself , that the King of Sweden, since 1975, can no longer create new barons and counts.

Quote:
Inget nyadlande – ingen har längre rätt att adla
Regentens rätt att adla upphörde 1974. Det kan alltså inte adlas några nya personer i Sverige .
How can we explain then the continuing practice of Princes and Princesses of the Royal House being awarded life duchies? That possibility, which existed explicitly in the Instrument of Government of 1809, was also removed from the Instrument of Government of 1974, but apparently falls under the category of recognized unwritten prerogatives that the King has, in this case, to decide the titles and styles of the members of the Royal House (note: that prerogative was also acknowledged in the report of the Constitutional Committee). Could it extend to awarding other life titles such as count in addition to the traditional duchies? Personally, I find it unlikely since it would not be in line with the tradition on the use of titles as also codified in the previous Instrument of Government.

Furthermore, the King could only invoke the royal prerogative to give out such titles if CP's and Madeleine's children were still legally members of the Royal House (in the sense of Swedish public law, not in the definition used by the Royal Court). Most likely, however, CP's and Madeleine's children will not receive consent of the Swedish government to get married, unless the King or his successor (probably Queen Victoria) explicitly requests such consent. Without the aforementioned consent, they and the descendants of their marriages will be excluded from the line of succession and, consequently, from the Royal House (in the sense used in the Act of Succession). If CP's or Madeleine's grandchildren are not born Princes or Princesses of the Royal House, invoking royal prerogative to give them any title will not be possible then, since the prerogative as stated applies to members of the Royal House only.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about British Styles and Titles summrbrew2 British Royals 6746 Today 02:16 PM
Diana's Styles and Titles florawindsor Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 911 09-10-2022 02:13 PM
Non-British Styles and Titles Lord Sosnowitz Royal Ceremony and Protocol 805 02-19-2022 05:36 PM
Questions about Names, Styles and Titles Warren Royal Families of France 23 12-17-2018 05:26 PM




Popular Tags
18th birthday abdullah ii africa albert prince consort all tags america arcadie arcadie claret austria braganza british royal family cadwallader camilla caribbean castile charles iii claret congo current events danish royal family death denmark duarte pio dubai expo duchess of kent elizabeth ii garsenda genealogy guzman history identifying india introduction jordan royal family king charles king edward iii king philippe king willem-alexander leopold ier louis mountbatten maria ii matrilineal monarchy noble families norway crown princely couple official visit order of precedence orleans-braganza pedro ii portugal prince andrew prince charles prince of wales prince of wales in jordan queen camilla queen elizabeth queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria republics restoration samurai spain spanish royal family state visit tokugawa uae visit wine glass


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises
×