The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-30-2021, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Frederick is so far the only man to have ever been married to a Swedish queen but he never carried the title of Prince Consort. Instead he was created a Prince of Sweden with the style of HRH by his wife in December 1718 which was approved by Parliament in March 1719.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Are you sure that he was created a Prince of Sweden? I only read that he was created HRH by his wife and Parliament, and the title Prince of Sweden was not officially in use by the royal family at the time (princes in the line of succession were strictly Sveriges Arvfurste up to 1982, when the present King altered it to Prins av Sverige).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
From where I've read (only secondary sources) he was created Prince of Sweden. I did find two mentions of him on page 26 of the SOU* 1977:5:
1 - "Added to that (Princess) Ulrika Eleonora's husband, the Hereditary Prince Frederik of Hesse was a member of the Reformed Church"
2 - "the following year the Queen abdicated in favour of her husband Prince Frederik" implying (atleast that's how I interpret it) that there had been a change of title when his wife was elected queen (though the SOU doesn't style him as Prince of Sweden).
Regarding arvfurste he could never have carried the title without being included in the line of succession which he never was.

*For those of you who don't know an SOU is the name of an official series of reports of committees appointed and convened by the*Government of Sweden for the analysis of issues in anticipation of a proposed legislation before the*Riksdag or the issuance of*ordinances.
Thank you for this.

I also read mainly from secondary sources, including his article in the Svenskt Bibliografiskt Lexikon, which mention that he was created HRH by his wife and approved by Parliament but do not mention him being created Prince of Sweden. There is also the Regeringsform from his accession which includes a mention styling him as Queen Ulrica Eleonora's husband, citing him as "Hennes Kongl. Maj:ts högtälskelige gemål, den durchleuchtigste furste Friedrich, arfprins till Hessen, furste till Hirschfeldt, grefve till Catzen-Ellenbogen, Dietz, Ziegenheim, Nidda och Schaumburg &c." including his titles from the house of Hesse but without a Swedish title.

I'm aware he was not included in the line of succession and therefore did not carry the title of Sveriges arvfurste; my point was that if he was created a Prince of Sweden he would be only male member of the royal family to carry that title in an official capacity as the others up to that point had been Sveriges arvfurste.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Thank you for this.

I also read mainly from secondary sources, including his article in the Svenskt Bibliografiskt Lexikon, which mention that he was created HRH by his wife and approved by Parliament but do not mention him being created Prince of Sweden. There is also the Regeringsform from his accession which includes a mention styling him as Queen Ulrica Eleonora's husband, citing him as "Hennes Kongl. Maj:ts högtälskelige gemål, den durchleuchtigste furste Friedrich, arfprins till Hessen, furste till Hirschfeldt, grefve till Catzen-Ellenbogen, Dietz, Ziegenheim, Nidda och Schaumburg &c." including his titles from the house of Hesse but without a Swedish title.

I'm aware he was not included in the line of succession and therefore did not carry the title of Sveriges arvfurste; my point was that if he was created a Prince of Sweden he would be only male member of the royal family to carry that title in an official capacity as the others up to that point had been Sveriges arvfurste.
I've been trying to find both Ulrika Eleonora's and Frederick's Acts of election (Valakter) to see what they say but can't find them online. Also there must be some documentation of the parliamentary approval of his change of status.