Titles of the Swedish RF and Changes 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since duke/duchesss is just honorary titles in Sweden - no economic or otherwise practical function - I assume that it's not set in stone how things work with those titles. It's very different from the UK. Most people here don't know who is duke/duchess of Östergötland, Skåne or Västerbotten.

And about someone saying that the agnatic line of Bernadottes will no longer be Princes of Sweden, would it be possible that the children of Prince Alexander be introduced into the Luxembourgish/Belgian nobility like how they did with the brothers of Gustaf VI Adolf?

Luxembourg is categorically off the table now. The constitutional revision that came into effect on July 1, 2023 limited the Grand Duke to creating titles of nobility for members of the Grand-Ducal Family only.

"Art. 52. Le Grand-Duc a le droit de conférer des titres de noblesse aux membres de la famille grand-ducale, sans pouvoir jamais y attacher de privilège."

https://legilux.public.lu/eli/etat/leg/constitution/1868/10/17/n1/consolide/20230701

Since duke/duchesss is just honorary titles in Sweden - no economic or otherwise practical function - I assume that it's not set in stone how things work with those titles. It's very different from the UK. Most people here don't know who is duke/duchess of Östergötland, Skåne or Västerbotten.

The title of Duke/Duchess of Västerbotten is inactive since the tragic death of Prince Gustaf Adolf and the death of Princess Sibylla. Hopefully we will see when Victoria and Daniel becoming grandparents, or maybe the future grandchildren of Carl Philip or Madeleine

Last edited:
The title of Duke/Duchess of Västerbotten is inactive since the tragic death of Prince Gustaf Adolf and the death of Princess Sibylla. Hopefully we will see when Victoria and Daniel becoming grandparents, or maybe the future grandchildren of Carl Philip or Madeleine

As for potential grandchildren of Madeleine - it's very probable they will be born and raised and will live outside Sweden, so I doubt they will get any titles.
Especially if it comes for potential Madeleine's maternal grandchildren, who will be Master/Miss + given name + their father's surname.

As for potential grandchildren of Madeleine - it's very probable they will be born and raised and will live outside Sweden, so I doubt they will get any titles.

Especially if it comes for potential Madeleine's maternal grandchildren, who will be Master/Miss + given name + their father's surname.
Neither the grandchildren of Madeleine and Carl Philip will have any titles.

Madeleine's grandchildren have equal potential to CP's of having titles. And by that we mean None.

That was made clear when the king stripped his grandchildren of their titles, and they were removed from the royal house. They were made private citizens with no role in the family officially. Except for the children of the heir.

To even think that the great-grandchildren of the king would be given a title, whether male or female line, is far fetched at best. If Vasterbotten is used, it will be used for one of Victoria's grandchildren.

If Victoria did the weird act of unslimming down the titles, I don't see her also reintroducing misogyny. And treating the children/grandchildren of Madeleine different then her brother. Considering her and daughter's place.

Children of Carl Philip and children of Madeleine were stripped only of HRH's titles; the courtesy ones (Duke/Duchess of + province) have remained.

:previous: Right... why would that make grandchildren of theirs any more likely to receive dukedoms?

Children of Carl Philip and children of Madeleine were stripped only of HRH's titles; the courtesy ones (Duke/Duchess of + province) have remained.

True, but when their removal from the Royal House was announced by the Royal Court, the Marshal of the Realm also announced that their partners and children would not share their titles.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kungligt/prinsbarnen-kommer-inte-tillhora-kungahuset/

Prins Alexander, prins Gabriel, prinsessan Leonore, prins Nicolas och prinsessan Adrienne är fortsatt medlemmar av Den kungliga familjen, och kommer även fortsatt att bära de titlar de tilldelats av kungen.

Deras titlar kommer dock inte att föras vidare till deras framtida partners och barn.​

Naturally, the intention is not legally binding, but the Marshal also confirmed that the change had been discussed within the family, so Crown Princess Victoria was most likely in agreement. But it is possible that the issue may be viewed differently in 20-30 years when the grandchildren are born.

:previous: Right... why would that make grandchildren of theirs any more likely to receive dukedoms?

Well, it would be less strange for a child of a duke/duchess to likewise be a duke/duchess than for the child to have a ducal title but not the parent.

Last edited:
But they remained princes, the HRH title were removed

I guess that the children of Leonore and Adrienne will be Mr. or Miss "fathers surname". The children of Nicolas, Alexander, Gabriel and Julian I guess they will be Mr. or Mrs. Bernadotte.

I guess that the children of Leonore and Adrienne will be Mr. or Miss "fathers surname". The children of Nicolas, Alexander, Gabriel and Julian I guess they will be Mr. or Mrs. Bernadotte.

And what about Oscar's children?

I wonder if we will see the Count/Countess of Bernadotte title being used in the future?

Back
Top Bottom