The Tsunami in South East Asia (Reactions of the Swedish Royals): December 26, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it was small comments in todays Vg that Haakon and MM should not bve in Brazil vacationing whilst so many (109 missing at the moment) Norwegians lost their life on their vacation. I agree It is shamefull:mad:

Anyway It seems like someone at the Palace, or lets hope it is Haakon, has reacted, they are cancelling their vacation and comming home
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=260904

I suspect they want to beat Se og Hør that comes out tomorrow who Im sure has pictures of them on their vacation to avoid further critisism. Im VERY disapointed that they did not return as soon as they heared about the disaster...

Thank you for the information, Larzen. Could you please do me a little favour and post the exact comments (the criticism) on their absence. I can´t find the right article on VG.

Miracles haven’t seized to happen…

After more than 1 week (8 whole days) - the Crown Princess has decided that it might not be a good idea after all to be on vacation while her nation mourns... According to a press release from the Royal Court, she will now (1 week/8 days late...) interrupt her personal trip abroad and come home. As a Swede - this makes me angry - why is she coming home now, after all this time? To me she is 1 week late. I think that it's the Court staff that has gotten cold feets of how her vacation in these times would look in the media, and that they have managed to get her to make this decision (maybe after a little help from her parents?).

Here is the link to the press release from the Royal Court today, and here is my translation:

2005-01-03

The Crown Princess could because of a trip abroad not attend the televised fundraising manifestation together with her family this Saturday, but was represented by her siblings in attendance with the King and Queen. The Crown Princess sends her warmest greetings to the struck families and expresses her deep compassion in their great grief. At the visit to Astrid Lindgren’s Children’s Hospital, the King and Queen have also conveyed the youth’s deep sympathies.

The Royal Family have in different ways been involved in the struck families difficult situation by visiting the Crisis-and Family Centre at Arlanda Airport and spoken with both the returning people from Thailand and their close ones. The King has thought different appearances in the media conveyed his and the family’s feeling for the incomprehensible and hard.

The King hereby wished to than all committed and helping fellow beings for their fine and self-sacrificing efforts.

The Crown Princess will interrupt her trip and will return to Sweden.

Last edited:
So immodest it may sound, I have the strong feeling the Royal court is reading on Royal message boards!

It was in the paper edition and it was a reader who had written a letter published on the "say what you mean page"

I agree, it is to late for both Haakon and Victoria, Im not impressed with Frederik either. One memorial service, walk in, sit down, walk out. When you compare them to the spanish royals in March Im ashamed. They visited the hospitals, went in demonstrations, attended memorial services and huged and greeted everyone present. The Scandinavians should have taken notes:mad: and should have shown more initiative, they really did not have to look far, only to their parents....

Larzen said:
It was in the paper edition and it was a reader who had written a letter published on the "say what you mean page"
Thank you larzen. So it was a personal private opinion. Hmm.

Lena said:
So immodest it may sound, I have the strong feeling the Royal court is reading on Royal message boards!
I think its quite likely that the press chef of the royal court knows this hompage and reads the articles regularly. I think this is part of her job, if she does it good! If she does not, she should get replaced!

Well, critesism of the norwegian royals often starts this way, someone writes a letter to the paper, and then the papers pick it up, interviews some royal reporters or some of the victims and then they have a story. Saying that they are returnig home now will stop some of the critesism which was bound to com and might still come, we will see what they write tomorrow...

mixer2002de said:
I think its quite likely that the press chef of the royal court knows this hompage and reads the articles regularly. I think this is part of her job, if she does it good! If she does not, she should get replaced!
Maybe not replaced, but of course the Royal courts today should realise, that the internet becomes more and more important in forming opinions. It aren´t just the regular media (newspapers, magazines, TV...) anymore, which do that.
To search on boards on Royalty/politics/news...is also a great chance for the Royal courts to find out about the opinion of the ppl on the monarchy, their mistakes and how they can improve...

When you compare them to the spanish royals in March Im ashamed. They visited the hospitals, went in demonstrations, attended memorial services and huged and greeted everyone present.
Yes, the actions of the spanish rf was admireable!
But I dont think you can compare this really. The horrible things that happend in Madrid was a terrorist act. People who killed innocent people.
This tsunami was a nature disaster, and no ones "fault", You know what I mean?

But I´m very happy that Victoria now is on her way back to Sweden, to show her support in this very sad time!

On the news today in Sweden – we could see a glimpse from the very touching and worthy ceremony on Phuket International Airport today, as the remains of 6 dead Swedes were placed on the ground in their coffins, draped in the Swedish flag. Only a very small group was present; a state delegation, the military plane’s crew, priests, aid workers and relatives. The two priests from the Church of Sweden had chosen a few bible quotes and psalms – the only thing that could be heard was the engine of the plane as one of the priests quoted a Swedish bishop (translated from Swedish, of course):

“God we call out to you in our despair, anxiety and grief. We do not understand how this could happen. We see how small we stand before the forces of nature”

After the short ceremony, the coffins were carried onto a Swedish military plane for transport home to Sweden. The people that carried the coffins were aid workers from State or voluntary organisations, and they cried openly as they carried the coffins onto the huge plane.

These were the first remains of many hundreds, or in the worst case thousand, Swedes (these 6 were the first which has stated death certificates and their identities have been established, and could thereby leave the country) that will be taken home for their final rest eventually, and for both Sweden as a nation and the family and friends of the dead – this will be a long and painful process, unique in the history of our country. Sweden has so far been spared of transports of this kind; it is unique for a large number of Swedes dying in another country and being transported back to their home country to be buried in Swedish soil (Sweden has been at peace for almost 200 years, btw).

Click here to see the report from the ceremony, from SVT's news

Attachments

• 12413562.jpg
    12413562.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 1352461.jpg
    1352461.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 214135786.jpg
    214135786.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 41351354.jpg
    41351354.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 42423524.jpg
    42423524.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 162
Alexandria said:
I think there is a lack of a backlash against Haakon and the other royals because the presence of their family hasn't been as evident or as at the forefront as the King and Queen of Sweden's.
Yes, this is true. The King and Queen of Norway have been at the forefront enough though so that people didn´t feel that it was odd that Haakon was not with them whereas the entire SRF was in the studio which is quite rare. And also that the King has done all that you have said he has.

Sweden´s revised numbers are 52 dead, 2,322 missing. For the other Nordic nations they stand at:

Norway: 16 dead, 150 missing
Denmark: 7 dead, 69 missing
Finland: 5 dead, 186 missing
Iceland: 11 missing

Last edited by a moderator:
GrandDuchess said:
After more than 1 week (8 whole days) - the Crown Princess has decided that it might not be a good idea after all to be on vacation while her nation mourns... According to a press release from the Royal Court, she will now (1 week/8 days late...) interrupt her personal trip abroad and come home. As a Swede - this makes me angry - why is she coming home now, after all this time? To me she is 1 week late. I think that it's the Court staff that has gotten cold feets of how her vacation in these times would look in the media, and that they have managed to get her to make this decision (maybe after a little help from her parents?).
Thanks for the update GrandDuchess.

Is it just me, or is it a bit sad and disappointing still that someone likely had to persuade Victoria to cut her personal trip short and tell her that the right thing to do would be to come home immediately?

She is not a six year old who needs to be coaxed to eat her carrots and peas. She is a grown (27 years old!) woman who should know better and should recognize the magnitude of this situation, especially when she sees or hears all that her parents are doing. Today her parents have again done even more by visiting a hospital where young children affected by the tragedy have been brought to to be treated, and not a peep out of Victoria, only that she is coming home.

It is indeed much too late; and I think Victoria will have a tremendous uphill battle to recoup her good reputation.

I had secretly hoped through all this that Victoria's "personal trip" would be trekking out to Thailand to aid in the efforts of rescue. To me, that would be the only thing to redeem Victoria at this point. But I guess since she hasn't turned up there, she really was on an R&R holiday.

Yennie said:
Yes, the actions of the spanish rf was admireable!
But I dont think you can compare this really. The horrible things that happend in Madrid was a terrorist act. People who killed innocent people.
This tsunami was a nature disaster, and no ones "fault", You know what I mean?
For me, the fact that no one was at fault here versus the Spanish situation last March, which was the act of terrorists, does not change my opinon in the reactions of and the actions by the royals involved in both situations.

It doesn't matter what is the reason behind the crises, whether it be nature or human intent, it matters most what people do in such times. Both the Spanish and Swedish kings made televised broadcasts or public statements which in effect said that they understood the sorrow and plight of their fellow citizens and that their King was as sad as they were. In both cases we saw the queens of both nations take action: Queen Sofia visited a hospital that morning as well as attending a church service soon after followed by the memorial mass; Queen Silvia has made several public statements, attended several church services and a fundraiser to which she donated a private amount.

Felipe and the Infantas participated in a protest rally against the terrorist while Carl Phillip and Madeleine attended the fundraiser and made personal monetary contributions. Felipe and the Infantas along with their partners made visits to a hospital as well as attending a memorial mass, where they were photographed sobbing and in tears, and truly touched by the situation, just as we saw pictures of Madeline crying at the fundraiser.

Just because no one is "at fault" doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a reaction from our leaders. Earthquakes, hurricanes, and monsoons are not the fault of humans but that doesn't mean that our governments can sit idly back while such occurences devastate homes and lives, and not provide aid to those affected.

Last edited:
I agree with Alexandria (in fact I´ve even waited with going to bed until she has finished her post, so that I could agree again and read her fantastic post ;) No, I don´t agree per se with Alexandria, but in the last days, I did a lot. I also want to add, that it aren´t just Alexandrias fantastic posts, which make this thread very interesting to read, but also the many opinions of the other appreciated members, who post here. This is-for a long time- one of the most successful threads in the Sweden-forum! )

I think we shouldn´t compare the tragedy in Spain and the one in South Asia. I can see your point, Yennie. Terrorism causes also a feeling of fear and an other kind of sadness, since we see to what human beings are able. I also don´t want to be so insolent to compare the feelings of the victims (relatives, friends...), I think we can all say, that to lose a beloved person is always a sad, shocking and terrible thing. And all mourning people need the support of others, that´s why I think all Royals should help as much as possible and should try a little bit to be like a "rock" (one rock of many...surely mostly mourners need the help of many, esp. of close ppl) for all the ppl "drowning" in a sea of pain.

Though I fear it´s in a way also a comparison of Spain and South Asia, I want to mention that much more money is needed to help all the people in South Asia. And here IMO again Royals could help to motivate people. Surely many feel the need to help without being motivated, but looking at all the many charity galas all over the world, we know that famous persons (to which I also count Royals) can help a lot to open the (money) wallets.

Yes, high likely Victoria was persuaded. It makes me really suspicously, that Haakon, MM and Victoria come back at the very same time. Either their holidays would have been over anyway (maybe they even were together), or someone or something has made them insecure in their decision to be on holiday in these times.

Last (trivial) thing: What is a(n) R&R-holiday??? Relaxing and reading-holiday? Relaxing and romance-holiday? Or in the case of Victoria running and romance-holiday?

Lena said:
"Rest and recuperation".

Lena said:
This is-for a long time- one of the most successful threads in the Sweden-forum! )
I am recently wondering why that is?

And all mourning people need the support of others, that´s why I think all Royals should help as much as possible
I'd say "closure" is a more appropriate term here. But .. you're right, the involvement of Royals assists in putting mourning to bed.

Yes, high likely Victoria was persuaded. It makes me really suspicously, that Haakon, MM and Victoria come back at the very same time.
Why should it make you "suspicious"?

The clamour for their return grows by the day, if not minute. All the same, the "damage" is done. They didn't return right away on their own.

However, in the case of Haakon, I seem to recall he and MM were in New York on their honeymoon when 9-11 happened, for which (memorial services, safety or otherwise) they "rushed" home.

hrhcp said:
However, in the case of Haakon, I seem to recall he and MM were in New York on their honeymoon when 9-11 happened, for which (memorial services, safety or otherwise) they "rushed" home.
Yes, that´s right. And now this tragedy in the Indian Ocean. So sad. It´s hard to believe.

Lena said:
I agree with Alexandria (in fact I´ve even waited with going to bed until she has finished her post, so that I could agree again and read her fantastic post ;) No, I don´t agree per se with Alexandria, but in the last days, I did a lot.
I am honoured that you waited to read my post before going to bed Lena; I don't think anybody has ever put off going to bed to hear what I had to say before -- including boyfriends at the time! :p

Lena said:
I also want to add, that it aren´t just Alexandrias fantastic posts, which make this thread very interesting to read, but also the many opinions of the other appreciated members, who post here. This is-for a long time- one of the most successful threads in the Sweden-forum! )
I agree that this has turned out to be a very interesting thread in the Swedish forum that has resulted in a lot of intelligent comments and a very thoughtful, insightful and observant discussion that has become quite diverse.

Lena said:
I think we shouldn´t compare the tragedy in Spain and the one in South Asia. I can see your point, Yennie. Terrorism causes also a feeling of fear and an other kind of sadness, since we see to what human beings are able. I also don´t want to be so insolent to compare the feelings of the victims (relatives, friends...), I think we can all say, that to lose a beloved person is always a sad, shocking and terrible thing.
I agree completely; it's not right and not fair to compare the losses experienced by those in Spain earlier this March and this tragedy now in South East Asia. Loss is loss, no matter what the circumstances of the tragedy and those who have lost a loved one grieve and mourn for them whether the blame can be pointed to human beings or to no one other than nature.

Lena said:
Surely many feel the need to help without being motivated, but looking at all the many charity galas all over the world, we know that famous persons (to which I also count Royals) can help a lot to open the (money) wallets.
I think the Swedish royals were perfect (in more ways that one regarding this matter) but in this example. They did not simply ask their fellow Swedes to open up their wallets and donate their hard earned money, but they led by their example by opening up their wallets, too.

I think just looking at some of the pictures is enough to motivate people to donate money for aid, with or without forseen benefit to oneself. My own company is offering their employees half days off with monetary donations of at least $100 or more, and at which time the company will match the figure the employees have donated. Most surprising to me was how quickly so many people at my work opened up their wallets and donated three or four times the suggested amount, and still for only half a day off. (And after all the Christmas spending to boot.) It is situations such as this that make you really believe in people and have faith in the kindess of fellow citizens the world over.

Last edited:
Bravo to the people at your company for coming up with such a plan.

"It is situations such as this that make you really believe in people and have faith in the kindess of fellow citizens the world over."

Very true.

It is good to see that people all over the world can forget their differences and can come together and provide assistance. My students official return to school tomorrow but I already had a group of students come by school today to discuss what they can do to raise money for the victims. It truly did warm my heart to see children take the initiative and what to help.

I also would like to comment that even though I have barely contributed to this thread I always find myself compeled to see what people have had to say. There have been many interesting comments that I have been intelligent and constructive.

My comments were just "a figure of speech." I spent Dec. 31 at church where we prayed for the victims. I saw a brief report in the U.S. media about a 20-year-old Swedish man who saved a man after a relative begged him not to go back in the water. I was touched to see this report from Stockholm. Will CP Victoria make a personal monetary contribution?

GrandDuchess said:
On the news today in Sweden – we could see a glimpse from the very touching and worthy ceremony on Phuket International Airport today, as the remains of 6 dead Swedes were placed on the ground in their coffins, draped in the Swedish flag. Only a very small group was present; a state delegation, the military plane’s crew, priests, aid workers and relatives. The two priests from the Church of Sweden had chosen a few bible quotes and psalms – the only thing that could be heard was the engine of the plane as one of the priests quoted a Swedish bishop (translated from Swedish, of course):

“God we call out to you in our despair, anxiety and grief. We do not understand how this could happen. We see how small we stand before the forces of nature”

After the short ceremony, the coffins were carried onto a Swedish military plane for transport home to Sweden. The people that carried the coffins were aid workers from State or voluntary organisations, and they cried openly as they carried the coffins onto the huge plane.

These were the first remains of many hundreds, or in the worst case thousand, Swedes (these 6 were the first which has stated death certificates and their identities have been established, and could thereby leave the country) that will be taken home for their final rest eventually, and for both Sweden as a nation and the family and friends of the dead – this will be a long and painful process, unique in the history of our country. Sweden has so far been spared of transports of this kind; it is unique for a large number of Swedes dying in another country and being transported back to their home country to be buried in Swedish soil (Sweden has been at peace for almost 200 years, btw).

Click here to see the report from the ceremony, from SVT's news
Thanks for posting the video link. It was quite moving.

Lena said:
Though I fear it´s in a way also a comparison of Spain and South Asia, I want to mention that much more money is needed to help all the people in South Asia. And here IMO again Royals could help to motivate people. Surely many feel the need to help without being motivated, but looking at all the many charity galas all over the world, we know that famous persons (to which I also count Royals) can help a lot to open the (money) wallets.
I read tonight that Sandra Bullock has given a million dollars to the American Red Cross for its Relief effort. Jackie Chan and Chow Yun-fat are two other internationally known stars who have given money for the relief effort. Others have as well. More will follow. The Royals can provide financial support as well but they can provide a different kind of support being symbols of their respective countries. The peoples of their nations look to them to provide comfort in this time of sorrow.

Wow. Seeing the coffins really did me in. I cried for 30 minutes or so. I’m a Floridian and have recently had some experience with the wrath of Mother Nature, thankfully without the severe death tolls of the tsunami. I remember seeing coffins of several members of a family that had been killed in Hurricane Charley and somehow seeing the coffins always makes it seem more real. And sadly there will only be more, many, many more.

Crystal

According to a press release from the Royal Court today, the Royal Family intends to attend the ceremony held at Arlanda Airport tonight as the first coffins (from my post yesterday) arrive to Sweden.

Click here to read my summary of an article about Crown Princess Victoria's trip to Kenya (in the Victoria news thread).

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the article and thank you for translating, GrandDuchess.
I guess Ann-Christine Jernberg thinks, we are stupid. She couldn´t be reached on boxing day...and as you have said, what about the other days?! Victoria was high likely protected, was there also no contact to the bodyguards??? How could they then cooperate with the Royal court, when Victoria´s life is threatend??
And what about Victoria calling the Royal court or her parents?! Was there no radio/no TV which has informed Victoria?? They can´t tell me that!

Translation from a press release from the Royal Court today:

The King intends to visit Thailand
H.M. The King intends to visit Thailand and personally convey his thanks for King Bhumibol and thereby thank the whole Thai nation for their sacrificing way in which Swedish citizens have been helped in Thailand.

When such a visit is suitable to take place will be decided in consultation with the Prime Minister and contacts with the Thai Royal Family and the Thai Government.

Statement by H.M. The King:
- From many directions, there have been witnessed of the incredible helpfulness that the Thai authorities, organisations, companies and individual have shown Swedish citizens. During talks with Swedes, I have become strongly touched by their stories and therefore I want to personally, on behalf of all Swedes, show our great appreciation. The forms for how this should take place will be decided in consultation with the Swedish Government.

Last edited:
Personally I´ve always understood TRF as an board, where all opinions can be shared on Royalty. One of our most important rules is, that members don´t attack each other. And I can´t see, that I´ve done that. :) Further I also don´t have the feeling, that I´ve said something, which has no background. Yes, I can´t say for sure, how the conditions were for Victoria in Kenya, but I can´t imagine she didn´t get to know of the catastrophy until yesterday.

GrandDuchess said:
The King intends to visit Thailand [to] convey his thanks for ... [in a form] decided in consultation with the Swedish Government.
Wow !
... it sounds to me as if the King took some initiative!

Bravo ! BRAVO! B-R-A-V-O!

I hope this marks the beginning of a turn around in improving the relations between the King and the Government !

Lena said:
Maybe. That´s your opinion and I respect that.
But as you have surely noticed, we moderators also post our opinions on Royal things. And in this case it´s my opinion that the spokesman of the court has acted not very wise.

Personally I´ve always understood TRF as an board, where all opinions can be shared on Royalty. One of our most important rules is, that members don´t attack each other. And I can´t see, that I´ve done that. :) Further I also don´t have the feeling, that I´ve said something, which has no background. Yes, I can´t say for sure, how the conditions were for Victoria in Kenya, but I can´t imagine she didn´t get to know of the catastrophy until yesterday.
I agree about respecting each others opinion, of course, but

is it possible that

there are things going on that you cannot imagine about victoria's life?

The tolerance we show to each other does not seem to extend to her.
she is dropped like a hot potato and her behaviour condemned even though we do not know the particular circumstances. It is merciless to think that she would act in a way that is rationally and emotionally to most decent people unexplainable.

The list of the missing confirmed or otherwise for Sweden has gone down. It is now 702 confirmed missing with 1,201 others who they think are missing. Maybe they just haven´t contacted yet. We hope.

Accually I think A-C J made it worse. Had she said nothing else than Victoria is comming home now. OK fair enough. But now she starts with things like "she could not be reachen on the 26th. and then brings her home 8 days later!!! Noone belives that Victoria can not be reached, she has the police with her at all times, and its not like they turn of the cell phones. Ok maybe they could not reach her the 26, but that now leads to a whole lot of another questions, did they want her to come home then, why did they not call her the next day or the day after that and so on, or why did Victoria not feel the urge to call home as soon as she heared about it, Im sure the police or someone else must have told her. Sloppy PR by ACJ

Im glad Victoria is comming home but I think it is to late, its just so unlike her to want to be on vacation when Sweden is going to trough its most terrible time in modern times:confused:

Back
Top Bottom