The Tsunami in South East Asia (Reactions of the Swedish Royals): December 26, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another report from the live fundraising evening on SVT.

The King and Queen were just on again a little while ago. They had a sit-down with one of the programme hosts. The King’s comment/statement was great once again - I think tonight he’s made the two best spontaneous comments/statements I’ve ever heard him make.

He said that he has gotten excellent briefings on the situation, and has talked to the Ambassador of Sweden to Thailand, who was the first one to arrive in Phuket. The King talked about children in this, and especially those who have lost their parents. He stressed the importance of the surroundings telling these children as much as possible about their parents, going though it together with them and let them have a process – and doing this when they’re ready for it. He and the Queen were very touched by two boys they met at their visit to the crisis- and family centre at Arlanda Airport, who had lost their parents.

The King also got very personal when he was asked about his own experiences with loss of near and dear ones, and how one can handle it. He said that he was so young when he lost his father, that he grew up not even knowing really that he had one. When he played with his friends, he just heard them saying “father/dad” to their fathers, but didn’t really understand the meaning of him not having one then. In those day he said, it was taboo to speak about it. He was not told how or why his father died, and it was just shut out and not mentioned – he didn’t get to know anything about his father when he was young – and so it made it very special to process when he was older. (as we all know, the King was the last one, together with his sisters, to be brought up in the old fashioned and extremely strict Royal Court that used to be in the old days)

The Queen said that World Childhood Organisation has been working with an organisation helping children in Thailand (Phuket) for a year now, and that on Tuesday they will see if they can help them to help down there at this time (I guess a meeting between the organisations or something).

Vicomtesse said:
Hmm...I wonder why some people still keep defending Victoria???
Why can't people be objective about her and realize that even though you may like her a lot she has very definitely misstepped with this tsumani situation.
Clearly not the super wonderful princess everyone thought she was.
She is a rather selfish person continuing to holiday rather than be a leader like she should.
I agree with you. It´s probably just, that we/they aren´t used to such a behaviour of Victoria. That´s why she´s defended. And so far we really don´t know 100% surely, why she´s still abroad.
But high likely it´s really a selfish reason.
Princess Madeleine´s comment doesn´t let me assume, the Royal family has lost close friends:
"Man har bekanta, alla känner ju någon eller vet någon, sa prinsessan Madeleine."
"One/we have acquaintances (who are missing) , all know someone, who knows someone"

Of course to know acquaintances, who are high likely dead is sad. The whole situation is sad. And I guess we all, who have seen the pictures and who have heard the terrible facts feel a sad, nightmarish, helpless feeling. But that´s not compareable to the feelings of those, who have lost a close long-time friend.

Good to see that the WCF is involved in Phuket. I knew they were working in Thailand but I had forgotten that it was in Phuket. It´s good to see the King open up. Yes, the circumstances of his childhood make this all the more poignant for him.

GrandDuchess said:
Another report from the live fundraising evening on SVT.

The King and Queen were just on again a little while ago. They had a sit-down with one of the programme hosts. The King’s comment/statement was great once again - I think tonight he’s made the two best spontaneous comments/statements I’ve ever heard him make.

He said that he has gotten excellent briefings on the situation, and has talked to the Ambassador of Sweden to Thailand, who was the first one to arrive in Phuket. The King talked about children in this, and especially those who have lost their parents. He stressed the importance of the surroundings telling these children as much as possible about their parents, going though it together with them and let them have a process – and doing this when they’re ready for it. He and the Queen were very touched by two boys they met at their visit to the crisis- and family centre at Arlanda Airport, who had lost their parents.

The King also got very personal when he was asked about his own experiences with loss of near and dear ones, and how one can handle it. He said that he was so young when he lost his father, that he grew up not even knowing really that he had one. When he played with his friends, he just heard them saying “father/dad” to their fathers, but didn’t really understand the meaning of him not having one then. In those day he said, it was taboo to speak about it. He was not told how or why his father died, and it was just shut out and not mentioned – he didn’t get to know anything about his father when he was young – and so it made it very special to process when he was older. (as we all know, the King was the last one, together with his sisters, to be brought up in the old fashioned and extremely strict Royal Court that used to be in the old days)

The Queen said that World Childhood Organisation has been working with an organisation helping children in Thailand (Phuket) for a year now, and that on Tuesday they will see if they can help them to help down there at this time (I guess a meeting between the organisations or something).

Thank you, GrandDuchess! I´m so impressed of the king these days! It´s so wonderfully, that he shared his personal experiences on losing a parent with the swedish people in this difficult situation! Hurrah to the king!

I second that emotion. Bravo to the King!

I absolutely understand the uproar regarding CP Victoria's absence.

So the WHOLE Swedish Royal Family attended the fundraiser, they all even made their personal feelings known, informed the public about their charities & how they are going to help etc., but the Crown Princess is 'abroad'..... 'Never heard of airplanes?' indeed.

I'm glad that Prince Carl Philip & Princess Madeleine attended regardless of their older sister being absent. I believe it must have been Victora's own choice, unfortunately. The King & Queen had been 'abroad' themselves - on Christmas holiday - when the catastrophe occured, only to rush back home immediately and swing into action effectively. Even if the Crown Princess was on the other side of the planet, she could have made it back home by now. A very grave error of judgement - on her part, I fear.

In addition, the Swedish Court doesn't seem to make any excuses for her. Taking into account that the other Royal children participated in today's TV charity program, I'm beginning to wonder if there might even have been a fall-out over this issue between the Royal parents and the heiress to the throne.

All of CP Victoria's talk about her role being so difficult starts to sound shallow when she doesn't live up to the opportunity to do good works when she easily can, thanks to her 'difficult' role, in a moment of need.

In any case, IMO the damage to CP Victoria's image has been done. Disturbing. Disappointing. Sad.

GrandDuchess said:
Princess Madeleine didn’t say much, she agreed with her brother and said it’s important to give financial support (they all did - as it's a fundraising evening).

PS. Prince Carl Philip really impressed me. It sounded like he had “taken” Victoria’s place in her absence tonight and spoke very wisely in a calm and mature way. DS.
I've never thought of Madeline as being very deep so I'm not surprised that much of her comments simply echoed her brother's comments or that she could come up with something different and original to say. But at least she made an appearance. You can at least give the girl credit for that.

King Carl Gustaf is seated with his family in a studio of the public Swedish Broadcaster SVT, during a program to collect money for the victims of Tsunami. The program collected more than 100 million Swedish Crowns (1,470,000 USD)

Attachments

• 2215314.jpg
    2215314.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,451
Boris said:

I'm glad that Prince Carl Philip & Princess Madeleine attended regardless of their older sister being absent. I believe it must have been Victora's own choice, unfortunately. The King & Queen had been 'abroad' themselves - on Christmas holiday - when the catastrophe occured, only to rush back home immediately and swing into action effectively. Even if the Crown Princess was on the other side of the planet, she could have made it back home by now. A very grave error of judgement - on her part, I fear.

In addition, the Swedish Court doesn't seem to make any excuses for her. Taking into account that the other Royal children participated in today's TV charity program, I'm beginning to wonder if there might even have been a fall-out over this issue between the Royal parents and the heiress to the throne.

All of CP Victoria's talk about her role being so difficult starts to sound shallow when she doesn't live up to the opportunity to do good works when she easily can, thanks to her 'difficult' role, in a moment of need.

In any case, IMO the damage to CP Victoria's image has been done. Disturbing. Disappointing. Sad.

I'm glad the royal court isn't making excuses for their precious Victoria and that even they recognize the severe error in judgement she has made in not appearing alongside her parents and siblings this past week. Nobody should be making excuses for Victoria at this point. She has made a serious mistake (what happened to that advisor and mentor of hers?) in judging the severity of this situation and the need for her presence. (Did anyone ask Carl Phillip or Madeline where they have been all week until the fund raiser?)

If Victoria couldn't have been there immediately after she heard the news, but had shown up mid week, say by Tuesday or Wednesday, then at least the royal court could've made excuses for saying that she was travelling or delayed in hearing the news. But now it is a week later and not a hint of Victoria.

This situation has done much to damage Victoria's image. That her siblings have finally made an appearance has only done further damage. Had her siblings remained in seculstion as well it would not have reflected so starkly on Victoria.

This whole situation reminds me of the days following Diana's death when the Queen would not publicly acknowledged the death or the public's grief over the death of the Princess of Wales. Until there was fervent demand for a comment from the queen including commentaries in various British newspapers did the Queen make an apperance on television. I wonder why the media in Sweden has not questioned Victoria's absence so fervently yet? It seems peculiar to me that nobody would question the absence of the Crown Princess yet or simply accept that she was still "abroad" at such a crucial time in her country's life.

Boris said:

With that you made IMO a very good point, Boris.

Thanks Lena - for understanding the point I tried to make.
I'm not inclined to think that being born into a Royal Family is a bed of roses; it certainly comes with a lot of baggage too and therefore it can surely be 'difficult'.
CP Victoria certainly suffered from it & nobody should ever hold it against her, BUT...
...watching the unity of the Swedish Royal Family tonight (via Satellite on my part, and delayed), all of them dressed in black and each of them supportive of the King who suddenly & unexpectedly became quite emotional, I found this to be the most honest & touching display of support for people suffering out there which I have seen in a long time in any Royal Family...
And it would have been perfect IF ONLY ---- if only the Crown Princess would have been there.
I can't help but remind everybody of the King's Christmas speech which was designed to strengthen support for the Crown Princess. He went out of his way to sing her praises. Very touching, too. And now THIS.

The Royal Court reports that after attending the two direct broadcasted fundraising evenings on tv tonight (SVT & TV4-Kanal5-&-TV3), the King and Queen visited Astrid Lindgren's childrens hospital and a ward there were children who have returned from the catastrophe in South East Asia are being treated and taken care of.

I think the royal family and Sweden are doing a fine job of mourning the tragedy in South Asia. I hate to say it, but here in America it's as though no one cares. Today at New Year's dinner, my family did not speak a word about the tsunami and President Bush, though fortright in his assertions of aide, has not mentioned it much. Aside from news reports, I think, most Americans don't hear much on the events in Southeast Asia and aren't thinking of it much. Therefore, I think Victoria isn't really acting outside the norm or in deriliction of her duties in remaining silent, but is rather acting as many other Westerners in response to hearing of the tragedy- some sorrow, yet a measure of ambivalence.

Last edited:
I agree that this situation reflects really poorly on the Crown Princess and that it may take sometime for her to overcome the negative effects of it. However, I think that until we know the real reason for her absence it is unfair to crucify her. A lot of different things could have happened, and I don't think it's fair to judge her too harshly until all the details are known. If it comes to be known that she was missing for some illegitimate reason, like on vacation or something, then she's on her own to face the Swedish people. Hopefully we'll hear something soon, and our worst fears of a selfish Victoria will be proved wrong.

Lyle said:
Hopefully we'll hear something soon, and our worst fears of a selfish Victoria will be proved wrong.
Yes, let´s hope so.

grecka said:
I hate to say it, but here in America it's as though no one cares. Today at New Year's dinner, my family did not speak a word about the tsunami and President Bush, though fortright in his assertions of aide, has not mentioned it much. Aside from news reports, I think, most Americans don't hear much on the events in Southeast Asia and aren't thinking of it much.
My own experience thus far has been that the tsunami disaster & subsequent relief effort have been the dominant topics in my state. Apart from the continuous coverage provided by the media, international aid organizations headquartered in my state have received an enormous outpouring of assistance from individuals, local organizations and churches. Aid collection centers have been established. Prayer vigils & moments of silence have been held. I can only conclude that my own community, and indeed my entire state, cares greatly about the terrible events in Southeast Asia and will try to do as much as possible.

I am troubled by CP Victoria's absence. I hope that her absence is not due to a medical issue or some other equally urgent reason.

I also agree that this situation reflects poorly on CP Victoria. However, I believe, she is mourning right along side her countrymen. In America, our president (Bush) is facing criticisms for his initial reactions to the tsunami disaster. I think that just like him, Victoria, will show her leadership skills when she emerges. I don't think it's fair to call her selfish without all of the facts. There could be a reason (plane delay, deciding her future with Daniel) for her absence at the fundraiser. Victoria appears caring, very sincere during the two times I watched her and other people. The actions of her father is the best example for one who's still learning how to one day be a good ruler.

These photos of Hannes Bergstroem with his father brought tears to my eyes.
1. 18-month-old Hannes Bergstroem has been reunited with his father Marko Karkkainen.
2. Two-year-old Swedish boy Hannes Bergstroem, right, is reunited with his father Marko Karkkainen, in a Phuket hospital, Thailand, Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2004 in this image made from television. Hannes was found alone in the wasteland of a tsunami-hit resort island in Khao Lak, southern Thailand.

Attachments

• hannes.jpg
    hannes.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 237
  • hannes2.jpg
    hannes2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
I'm pleased that Carl Phillip and Madeleine made their presence known with their parents. It's nice to see them pulling their weight and showing compassion during this tragedy. It's a bloody shame that Victoria has chosen not to do the same for the time being. She's the Crown Princess and should have done better. It's disappointing and is not good form at all. But the King, Queen, Carl Phillip, and Madeleine have done some good.

I do not know a lot about this royal family but had the impression that she has a sterling reputation uptill now.

mere speculation on my part:
she is not allowed to marry her boyfriend.
she is allowed but he does not want to.
she is considering giving it all up and becoming a commoner.

anything short of an enormous personal crisis, it is too strange to think that she is crying in a corner about the victems and does not think about the sorrows of others first and foremost and supporting them by her visible presence

I missed the royal family on TV yesterday, both on SVT and Tv 4....
Does anyone have a link to or a saved clip of the interviews?

grecka said:
Aside from news reports, I think, most Americans don't hear much on the events in Southeast Asia and aren't thinking of it much. Therefore, I think Victoria isn't really acting outside the norm or in deriliction of her duties in remaining silent, but is rather acting as many other Westerners in response to hearing of the tragedy- some sorrow, yet a measure of ambivalence.
I live in Ontario, Canada and I cannot pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV and not hear about this tragedy. And by comparison to the four or five thousand Sweden is missing, Canada is missing about 150 people, with 5 confirmed dead (as of Saturday's Globe and Mail). All-news channels have this tragedy covered wall to wall and even during other shows, the news breaks between commercials lead off with stories about this tragedy.

If the coverage of this tragedy is so vast for a nation that is missing "only" 150 people I cannot imagine what the coverage in Sweden must be for a nation that has been so severely hard hit by this tragedy with the number of tourists in the area at the time. And purely by that fact, I cannot imagine that there would be any ambivalence by anyone in Sweden at this time. But even here in Canada, from everyone I've talked to, there has been no ambivalence about this tragedy for which the magnitude and the devastation is clearly understood.

I read on the Scandinavian Royals MB that Sweden is a relatively small nation population wise, of roughly nine million. And to be missing 4,500 people is like for larger sized nations to be missing 110,000 people. I don't know how accurate those numbers are but in the least those 4,500 Swedes are someone's son, daughter, mother, father, sister, brother, friend, colleague, and for those people the loss must be devastating.

For the future Queen of Sweden to be ambivalent at this time is unacceptable and severely lacking in understanding of what and how this tragedy has impacted the people of her nation.

Grecka - I want to respond to your statement only because I am involved with people who are not only discussing, but are actively helping to get food to the Tsunami victims. It is unfortunate, but not surprising, that our "President" hasn't gotten more deeply involved sooner, but I don't want his lax actions to reflect the people of our country who care and are hard at work trying to help. I, also, am surprised that Victoria is not more actively involved and I hope her reason is sound.

rere said:
I don't think it's fair to call her selfish without all of the facts. There could be a reason (plane delay, deciding her future with Daniel) for her absence at the fundraiser. Victoria appears caring, very sincere during the two times I watched her and other people. The actions of her father is the best example for one who's still learning how to one day be a good ruler.
In a post by Lena above, with excerpts from an Expressen-article, the Royal Court has stated that Victoria is on a "personal trip abroad." So no plane delay. And as for deciding her future with Daniel, I think that could be put on hold for a few days, or even a few hours here and there while Victoria makes apperances alongside her parents and siblings to show her support for her fellow citizens. Quite frankly, if deciding her future with Daniel can't wait a few hours here and there or a few days, then they don't have much of a future.

The fact that Victoria has always appeared to be a caring and considerate individual is why I'm extra disappointed by her lack of appearance durinig this crises. She has never been an individual who was publicly aloof or distant, but someone who strived hard to do a good job for her country and who tried to connect with the individuals she came into contact with. But now, at a time when her country is so devstated she can't show her face and is instead on a "personal trip" abroad is truly disappointing and a major let down. It makes me think that when she is Queen and other crises arise Victoria will not be an effective leader, or at least be able to recognize when leaders are needed.

Last edited:
I agree that CP Victoria's absence and lack of public show of support doesn't look well; however, we do not know the exact circumstances of her absence, nor do we know of her exact whereabouts. Up until last week, many people had a lot of good things to say about Victoria - i.e., she is a thoughtful, caring, sincere person,who understood her roles and responsibilities. I would like to think her heart is going out to all of those affected by the tsunami. It's easy to jump to conclusions, but perhaps we should give her the benefit of the doubt until we know all the details first.

rere said:
I think that just like him, Victoria, will show her leadership skills when she emerges. There could be a reason (plane delay, deciding her future with Daniel) for her absence at the fundraiser.
There's been 1 week now since the catastrophe took place, and Sweden has been in shock and mourning for almost as long - ever since it emerged how serious it was. When do you mean she should appear? The King should've demanded her home the day after it happened, basta!

Just as the Royal Court and people on this forum has said, Victoria is on a personal trip abroad – and there are absolutely no excuses for her being so at this time of national mourning in Sweden. A plane delay, are you serious? So you mean there have been a constant plane delays for all flights out of where she is for one week (private and public aviation)? That’s impossible. She should’ve taken the first regular flight home, or then chartered a plane or the Government could’ve sent one of theirs.

And as for deciding her future with Daniel – do you seriously mean that this has to be done abroad during Sweden’s worst catastrophe in modern history for 24 hours a day? Victoria and Daniel has all the time in the world to decide this, it doesn’t have to be done 24 hours a day during these tragic and sad times.

This is a time when we want to see our Head of State/the King and the Royal Family out showing support, sympathy and grief for and with the people. I’m very grateful for the wonderful things our King and Queen are doing at this time, and it was also very nice to see two of the royal children make and appearance and show their emotions to the very emotional Swedes now.

It’s rock bottom rotten of Crown Princess Victoria, the future Head of State for Sweden to be abroad a times like these.

GrandDuchess said:
There's been 1 week now since the catastrophe took place, and Sweden has been in shock and mourning for almost as long -

It’s rock bottom rotten of Crown Princess Victoria, the future Head of State for Sweden to be abroad a times like these.
I can't but help think of the analogy of the bad press issue that Carl Gustav had with his comments about Brunei.

Both of these issues I am inclined to believe include the deft handling of their advisors

Given the involvement of some politico's of wanting to have a republic ... where does that leave public sentiment ?

It truly is a shame that the Crown princess has not made an appearance. There has to be more to the story than just being abroad. I would hate to think that she is being so irresponsible with her duties. Has the Swedish press made comments of her absence?

" The article further tells, that Madeleine started to cry, when she left the TV-studio."

So sad. A good opinion of her from me continues to grow. As for Victoria, Her reputation has indeed been sterling. I am saddened to read all of your comments. But also I am saddened by the fact that I agree with most of the comments made these last couple of days.

"The fact that Victoria has always appeared to be a caring and considerate individual is why I'm extra disappointed by her lack of appearance durinig this crises. She has never been an individual who was publicly aloof or distant, but someone who strived hard to do a good job for her country and who tried to connect with the individuals she came into contact with."

Well said and unfortunately, all of the actions or inactions of the last couple of days seem to be uncharacteristic.

"It is unfortunate, but not surprising, that our "President" hasn't gotten more deeply involved sooner, but I don't want his lax actions to reflect the people of our country who care and are hard at work trying to help."

Well said, Emily. I hear stories of Sri Lanka of communities working together in harmony to clear up the debris and to provide help for others long before the governments and aid agencies reached the villages. I´m sure this was true in other countries as well.

Back
Top Bottom