The Staff and Court of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Victoria's and Queen Silvia's friend and mentor Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister tells about her leaving from the royal family and her severe bone disease:
- Unfortunately, I have no choice. It is with great sorrow that I have not been able to be with the family recently. I don't have strength anymore.
The countess has a wish:
- To be able to attend the King's 70th birthday. I want to experience that.

Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, 89, has since 1994 been the Mistress of the Robes of the Royal Family. It was Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister who once helped in Silvia as Queen and has in all the years acted as her mentor and even closest friend. Since Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine were born, she also served as their mentor and support in the royal world.
Now she is forced to end her work as the Mistress of the Robes, because of her illness. She is suffering from a while back of a bone disease that makes her been tied to her home in Skåne since last November.
How are you doing?
- It goes up and down. Occasionally, I feel good, but quite often bad, says Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister.
Vad is the bone disease?
- There's something about the skeleton. Some word for the disease that sounds great. I have not focused on the name, explains the countess.
The king and the royal court announced earlier today that Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister will be replaced by current First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke:
- It will be fine. I can not, and don't have strenght anymore. One should not hang on there.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister reveals that she has tried to quit several times recently, but the king has refused to accept:
- He has said no every time. Each time, he said: "You will Return! You will come back!". But now he bowed. Now he understands that I will not return. Remember, I'm an old person, but only because I stop it doesn't mean that I don't exist. The family can still call me and ask advice. They do that quite often.
What they ask when they call?
- What I would do in different situations. I have been involved in a number of years and have some experience.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister has one wish: To feel so well that she can go to Stockholm in April next year when the king turns 70.
- Yes, I want to be healthy then. Be on the king's birthday. I remember it like yesterday when he was born. I was 19 and studied in Copenhagen. All were waiting for the royal birth.
At that time, there was the male succession to the throne and the king's late mother Princess Sibylla had until now had four children - all daughters, Hagasessorna. Succession was rocking and everyone was waiting for a prince:
- There was even prayers that it might become a prince. I'll never forget when our headmaster of the school came in and told that there had become a prince to the world in Sweden. We were all so happy. Of course I want to be with on his 70th birthday. It will be a special day.
Överhovmästarinnan__Jag orkar inte längre_ _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Oh how sad that she had to retire... I hope she gets enough strengh to fulfill her wish for April!

Oh how sad that she had to retire... I hope she gets enough strengh to fulfill her wish for April!

Let's hope she will get well and attend the birthday party for the King who turns 70 on April 30, 2016. Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister has been with the court for 37 years and will turn 90 a few days after the King's birthday so she certainly deserve to be retired.

Johan T Lindwall has interviewed new Chief Court Chaplain Johan Dalman at the Strängnäs Cathedral, he is the bishop of Strängnäs.
Dalman got the news of his work for the king as a text message:
- It was a text message where it shortly stood "His majesty the king has today appointed you as the Chief Court chaplain to the King." It was incredibly good news, says Dalman.
Johan Dalman was last spring appointed as bishop of the Strängnäs diocese with a record high level of confidence, 68 per cent. He started at his work in September.
Less than two months later, the next career step: Chief Court Chaplain to The King and Queen at the Royal Palace.
- Yes, it was undoubtedly a decision that caused feelings. Pride was probably one of the first things I thought of.
Dalman first got last week to know that something could be going on:
- I got the question if I could imagine to put my name at the disposal of the process. I thanked course with joy, yes, but at the same time I did not expect to get the mission. If you, as I have just gone through an episcopal election, one doesn't want to go into those thoughts again to get elected or not elected.
Dalman has on several occasions met the royal couple and also preached to them. But there was never any question of any job interview.
- There were a thousand thoughts in my head when it was clear. Joy, of course.
Dalman will continue as bishop in Strängnäs while his new post.
- We'll talk through everything practical to come, but I will be able to have both functions. It only becomes interesting and fun.
Johan Dalman has already been linked to the royal family and the Royal Palace. His wife Margareta is the Director of the Royal Collections at the Royal Palace.
- She gives me always good advice. So she can probably give me some advice on how to find the Palace, Johan Dalman is joking.
On the video Lindwall reminds bishop Dalman that next year he will be busy with the royal court parish: Victoria and Daniel will have a child, Carl Philip and Sofia will have a child, the king has his 70th birthday, the king and queen have their 40th wedding anniversary and the queen celebrates 40 years as a queen. Dalman thinks that it will be a busy but a fantastic year ahead.
Biskop Johan Dalman ny överhovpredikant i kungahuset _ Nyheter _ Expressen

The new Chief Court Chaplain Johan Dalman with his wife Margareta Nisser-Dalman, the Director of the Royal Collections.
http://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Hovpredikant-700x952.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a nice video of the new Chief Court Chaplain Johan Dalman, at his "normal" work as a bishop in Strängnäs. He is interviewed and tells about himself and his work.
https://vimeo.com/144851473

A new HQ photo of Margareta Thorgren, the Director of the Information and Press Department, at the court website. Taken by photographer Rosie Alm.
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/18...eta+Thorgren+Foto+Rosie+Alm+Kungahuset.se.jpg

Christian newspaper Dagen has a long video of the interview of Reverend Michael Bjerkhagen, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish. Marcus Birro is interviewing.
Bjerkhagen says about the royal family:
"The church and faith are important to the whole royal family. They are very committed to the Royal Parish and it’s activities. They are acquainted with the matters of the church, in a way I’m very impressed about and I see that as a strength, not just for the Royal Parish but for the Church of Sweden and the whole country. And I know that during Christmas the royal family takes part at church services in various places".
TV: Marcus Birro träffar kungafamiljens hovpredikant Dagen

Last edited by a moderator:
Staffan Larsson has been appointed as the Governor of the Royal Palaces (Ståthållare), he is starting at his job on 1st April. He has worked as Deputy County Governor at The County Administrative Board of Södermanland.
Ny ståthållare utsedd - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The court has finally updated their website of the press department, and put the photo of the press secretary Daniel Urso there, he has worked at the court since last summer. They have also put photo of information officer Ann-Christine Jernberg there. Ann-Christine came after Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg as the Director of the Press department in 2004. And in 2005 Ann-Christine was diagnosed with MS disease. So she retired from her work as the Director of the Press Department in the beginning of 2006, but stayed at the court as information officer.
Media - Sveriges Kungahus

Ann-Christine Jernberg with Marianne Bernadotte at the inauguration of The Lilian Look! -exhibition
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Article about "Kungens drabanter", the King's ceremonial bodyguards.
Allt om kungens drabanter _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

And article about a man, who makes the boots to the ceremonial bodyguards.
Mark syr kungens stövlar _ Dagens Arbete
Translation

Article about "Kungens drabanter", the King's ceremonial bodyguards.
Allt om kungens drabanter _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

And article about a man, who makes the boots to the ceremonial bodyguards.
Mark syr kungens stövlar _ Dagens Arbete
Translation

A somewhat meager article. But still an improvement of what else SD are writing about...

I can add that the drabant guards are cuirassiers as you can tell from their bullet-proof breastplate.
They were heavy cavalry and when first used they introduced a new novel tactics but more on that later.
The boots which are mentioned in the article are very stiff! Simply to protect the legs because the cavalrymen rode in very close formation with the knee locked behind the knee of the rider beside them.
The tricorn hats are interesting. They are mid 1700's, while the rest of the uniform is 1630-1720.

As heavy cavalry they are issued heavy (fairly modern BTW) straight bladed sabres, pallasks. In the 1600's they were armed with double edged swords.
The tactic when confronting enemy cavalry was to knock them down, or at least off the feet by the sheer weight of the massed formation. Then hacking the enemy horse over the head and dispatching with the enemy rider as his horse was going down.

In dealing with enemy infantry, the regiments rode in lines, about two squadrons besides each other straight towards the enemy block, that in the 1600's consisted of a mix of musketeers and pikemen. A very efficient combination that at the time completely dominated the battlefield but was very slow and difficult to maneuver.
The musketeers formed a firing line in front of the pikemen and when threatened by cavalry they moved back in among the now leveled up to six meter long pikes. Where they were completely safe from cavalry swords and lances. The cavalry simply couldn't get through the row of pikes.
So what to do? In the late 1500's pistols had been developed that were reasonably reliable, but very expensive and by the 1600's flintlock pistols had reached a stage where they could be used en masse by cavalry.
So the cavalry rode towards the infantry block and at a distance of perhaps 20 meters they fired their pistols, wheeled away right in front of the pikes, and right behind them followed the next line of cavalry.
Such attacks were continued until the infantry broke due to casualties or the cavalry simply gave up.
Or much more ominously until your own infantry moved up under cover of the cavalry, formed a line of musketeers at a close range and simply blasted the enemy infantry block to pieces. (Casualties after such volleys of 30-50 % were normal!)
If the enemy infantry broke they were dead! The cavalry would draw their swords and be among them in an instant. They would be hacked down, often to a man.

You may think the cavalry would charge a dense formation of infantry, bristling with pikes? Forget it! You may be able to persuade a cavalryman to do something so idiotic, but there is no way in this world you can persuade a horse to do such a stunt!

You may think by looking at the boots and shoes of the time often with silver buckles and think they would be pretty cool to wear. :cool:
Perhaps, but the footwear Swedish soldiers were issued were identical. I.e. there was no left or right shoes/boots.
So the next time your feet hurts, from your shoes, be glad you were not in the Swedish army around 1630 - marching up and down Germany. ;)

Last edited:
Liisa Hartikainen, the Head of the Linen Chamber (Första Fatbursjungfru) is one of the persons, who will have a lecture and show the Linen Chamber this year.
Your lecture is one of our most popular, why do you think that is?
- Interest in both textiles and it's traditional craftsmanship, such as cold mangling, has become large. People can read on our website about our common cultural heritage, and then they want to see how we who are working behind the scenes, are doing it.
What is the most common question you get when you show the Linen Chamber?
- There are three questions that come up every time: Who decides which linen is used? How do you remove red wine stains? How old is the oldest linen?
What will you show this time?
- I will focus preferably on the noble art of cold mangling and show the linen that has been used during the different official events.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBUSEGFv8tp/?taken-by=kungahuset

Liisa Hartikainen is a Finn, and there was an interview of her at finnish home interior magazine Kodin Kuvalehti in 2012. Hartikainen tells, that if the royal couple doesn't give any wishes, she chooses the linen, she has seven linen alternatives to the longest table: Margareta, Nordstjärna, Belgiska, Holländska, Franska, Melon and Vapen. It takes 6-7 linens to one long table. And when the event is over and the linens return to the Chamber, it takes about a month to clean and straighten them. In the end, cloths are left in a cold room to rest on the table for at least a month, preferably three.
"This is how these have been preserved over a hundred years. At the dinners here becomes wrinkled and dirty linens, and all of a sudden they become clean, soft and smooth. After all these many years it seems like a miracle", says Hartikainen.
Hartikainen moved to Sweden in the beginning of 1980's, she started as a cleaning lady at the Royal court in 1986. She had worked as a psychiatric nurse for some years but didn't like her job. She tells that she has learned her work from the previous manager and she has been reading old books.
When they do not maintain cloths, the shirts of the princesses national dresses, waiters' gloves or a chamber of lords bows, they wash more casual laundry. There is a wooden laundry box in the corner with "H.K.H. Kronprinsessan Haga Slott". There leaves Crown Princess Victoria's weekly bedsheet laundry as washed back to the Haga Palace.
Liisa Hartikainen poistaa työkseen kuninkaallisten tahroja _ Kodin Kuvalehti
Translation

Last edited:
Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, the former Marshal of the Court has given an interview to Hemmets Journal. She worked on 1976-2004 at the court as a press assistant, press secretary and director of the press and information department, and in 2004-2008 as the Marshal of the Court and the Head of HRH The Crown Princess's Household.

At the interview she tells also about her work at the Royal Court:
What are you most proud of during your 30 years time at the Palace?
- That I got to be involved in building up the communication for a modern royal court. I came to the court in 1976, a few years after the King's accession to the throne in 1973. He and the Queen renewed monarchy and the royal court with a gentle hand. I got for example attend at the recording of SVT's first so-called Christmas program with the royal couple. It was basically the only royal TV-program which was aired then. Today it is different. I know from personal experience as an expert commentator at TV4.
Less proud of?
- Oh, it's many things. For example, "The Brunei affair". I wish that there had been a faster turnaround than it was. Because of both technology and human factors the king's statement that Brunei would be a democracy became so much bigger deal than it had needed to be. Everything was of course really a miscommunication.
What belonged to your duties at the Palace?
- It was not a profession, it was a lifestyle. That meant 365 days of the year where I was constantly at hand. Middle of the night could Expressen call me and want to get something confirmed about someone in the royal family and then I should wake up quickly, become clear headed and correct and friendly answer the questions. It was above all a service profession. The first few years the work was mainly on providing information, but with time, it was all about communication.
Did you ate and drank coffee with the king or queen during the days?
- No, I was at the Palace of professional reasons. But certainly my colleagues and I could be invited to working lunches for planning and when I occasionally during summers had official work duties at Solliden I got to know the royal family a little closer. It was my relationship with the Crown Princess which developed and became the most personal. I have contact with all of them today, but especially with the crown princess.
It is well known that there is a particularly strong bond between crown princess Victoria and Tarras-Wahlberg.
But you carry on some secrets?
- Yes, but they remain with me. It's not about hidden sensations or scandals but nothing everyone needs to know. All my friends learned quickly not to try to get the secrets of the royal family out of me. I had a simple principle, that what had been said in public or been put into writing was what we could talk about.
Are all rooms grand and large at the Palace?
- There are 608 rooms and I haven't even been in half of them. Our offices were functionally furnished without luxury. The official part and the reception rooms are very beautiful, but in a Swedish thrifty way. Very Gustavian mostly.
What's the king called in your phone book?
- Hmm, yes, I have numbers to all the members of the royal family and my phone is very important to me. But under what name they are, I will not tell to you.
Do you miss the job at the Palace?
- It was not an easy decision to quit, I'd say. I may miss the individual and the working community. But we keep the contact anyway. I think it is an advantage to stop while everything still feels positive - even if it had been easy to remain at the Palace forever.
Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg_ Det finns hemligheter jag aldrig berättar - Hemmets Journal
Translation

Some nice photos at the interview.
Btw. Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg has like Daniel her birthday on 15th September...

Last edited:
An interview of Anne Tovar, the chambermaid of queen Silvia, was published at finnish home interior magazine Kodin Kuvalehti in 2012.
In 2009, Anne Tovar heard from the recruitment firm about an exciting job. They searched for a person interested in fashion with sewing skill, who would take care of representation clothing. There would also be traveling.
Anne applied for the job, because it sounded like made for her. She had the entire adult life sewn, sold and bought clothes, design and style services, in the last twenty years in Hong Kong and Spain. At the final of the long application process it became clear: Anne became Queen Silvia's chambermaid.
- Of course you're really happy to get such a job, Anne says.
There are not many chambermaids in Sweden, only crown princess Victoria and queen Silvia have them.
Anne takes care of the queen's clothes, compresses and decompresses suitcases and sews on a button, if that is needed. She goes shopping and brings clothes for the queen to choose and makes suggestions to the queen on how she could dress for different occasions.
Anne also accurately records up what the Queen is wearing at the events.
- The queen has 40-50 annually recurring events. I look after that she doesn't have the same clothes in them, or in events involving the same people.
The state visits are quite a hassle. The queen may change clothes several times a day. Must take into account the nature of the event, local culture and climate.
- My role is to work in the background so that the queen is shown in the best possible way.
Queen Silvia is often praised as elegant.
- Of course I'm pleased then and a bit taken. But I also do mistakes. It is instructive.
Anne doesn't tell about her mistakes.
- The photos speak for themselves.
The task of a chambermaid is not to be friends with the Queen, but to make the Queen's life easier.
- I say always Your Majesty. But I also say directly what I think about clothes, other things I will not comment. And one can joke a little, it is not boring at my work. The queen is a fantastic person.
Anne thinks she has succeeded, when she troubles the Queen as seldom as possible.
- The better I choose the clothing, the less I take of the Queen's time. She is so dedicated to her work that she really needs a chambermaid.
Anne has got a lot of requests but this was the first interview she gave.- The work is so private, one doesn't tell about these things in magazines. I have to take care of, that there will be no misunderstandings. Even now I'm pretty reticent.
The reason Anne gave an interview to a finnish magazine was that her parents are both Finns who have moved to Sweden.
- I'm proud of my finnish background. I have Finnish guts.
Suomalainen Anne on kuningatar Silvian kamarineito _ Kodin Kuvalehti

Anne Tovar was invited to Carl Philip's wedding last year, so I think that she is still the Queen's chambermaid.

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning tells that queen Silvia has a new lady-in-waiting, Harriet Bredelius, 52. She had her first public work event last week. She studied at Lundsberg (like Carl Philip) and has also been in the school's Board of Directors. She is trained art historian and worked for more than ten years as researcher and writer on building preservation magazine Gård & Torp. Harriet lives in Östermalm in Stockholm and has four children.

The job became vacant because the queen's lady-in-waiting Eva Hafström, 55, got a job as a manager at the Swedish Police in Skåne and moved there. Eva and her husband Jonas Hafström have both grown up in Skåne and live at the Wrams Gunnarstorp Castle in Billesholm. Eva Hafström had graduated from the Swedish National Police Academy and worked at the Police when she was young. She started as the queen's lady-in-waiting in autumn 2013.
Vi avlöjar_ Hon är drottningens nya hovdam _ Svensk Damtidning

Anna Hamilton, the First Lady of the Court and the Head of H.M. The Queen's Household. She started at her work in the beginning of this year.

Magnus Andersson has been appointed as the Palace Bailiff (stottsfogde) of the Royal Djurgården Administration, he starts at his work on 1st September.
Ny slottsfogde för Kungl. Djurgårdens förvaltning utsedd - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department, gave on Thursday a lecture in Kalmar at the serie of lectures due to the 175th anniversary of Barometern newspaper. Thorgren has grown up in Kalmar and spends her summers in Öland.
She told the audience how she got the job and what her work at the court along with the royal family is about. The audience showed great commitment and asked many interesting questions. The lecture was sold out just like the first anniversary lecture by the political commentator Marcus Oscarsson.
https://www.facebook.com/barometern...42408984480/10154171194209481/?type=3&theater

Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg (Victoria's and Daniel's friend), the former director of the press department and the former Marshal of the Court, is one of the "Summer hosts" (Sommarvärdar) of Radio Sweden this summer. Every host has an own programme (about an hour) at the radio.
Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg's program is broadcasted on 14th July, Victoria's birthday.
Elisabeth told to Radio Sweden that she is going to tell what the language has meant to her through her life, about the longing for the squirrels in her garden, that she has spent half of her life in the royal family's service and how a personal encounter led to a sincere love.
Tarras-Wahlberg is still part of the so-called non-operating court.
Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg - Sommar & Vinter i P1 _ Sveriges Radio
Translation

Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg's, the former director of the press department and the former Marshal of the Court, programme as a "Summer host" (Sommarvärd) of Radio Sweden is broadcasted on 14th July, Victoria's birthday. When the Summer hosts were revealed, Tarras-Wahlberg was interviewed by the press.
Tarras-Wahlberg was asked how does it feel to be so close to the royal family.
"I have a professional relationship with the royal family and it feels very responsibly, it felt very responsibly during those years I worked with the communication at the court. Sometimes I had to think is it really me who should have this responsibility. The last three years I worked as the Marshal of the Court at Crown princess Victoria's Household and helped her to build the organization in that. We have continuing contact and it feels very good".
With whom at the royal family you are especially close to?
"Of course with the Crown princess. We travelled a lot together during those years and even before. I was her mentor and that means one is close and at hand and supports".
What is the best with the Crown princess?
"It is hard to summarize. She is so appropriate to her mission. She is ambitious, she is skilled, she has humor, she simply wants to do a good work. And she is such a great mother".
Tarras-Wahlberg_ _Det här är min favorit i kungafamiljen_

Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg's (the former director of the press department and the former Marshal of the Cour), program as a "Summer host" (Sommarvärd) of Radio Sweden was broadcasted on 14th July, Victoria's birthday.
Elisabeth spoke about her life, childhood, studies, children. Her grandfather belonged to a Baltic baronial lineage and grandmother came from Turku, Finland. She told what the language has meant to her through her life, that she has spent half of her life in the royal family's service, her leaving the royal family and working for international relations advisor to Emir Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani of Qatar. And how she found love again a couple of years ago.
Elisabeth speaks about how she became a mentor for Victoria and the head of her household and how they worked very closely together and talked almost everything.
Victoria's first public speech on her 18th birthday made a big impression to many who heard it, also to Elisabeth. The same way this year when Victoria spoke at King's 70th birthday, Elisabeth got a tear in her eyes. She says that during the years together she and Victoria got trustful relationship and close friendship, which she cherishes tenderly. She speaks about Victoria with love, appreciation and respect.
She congratulates Victoria on her birthday with Stevie Wonder's Happy Birthday at the program.
The program can be listened here (in swedish, 57 minutes without music, 90 minutes with music).
Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg 14 juli kl 13_00 - Sommar & Vinter i P1 _ Sveriges Radio

Säkerhetspolisen (SÄPO, The Swedish Security Service) seeks new bodyguards during 2016 and 2017. They have published videos in Vimeo.
How is it to work with to protect the people in the government and the royal family? Meet Erika, who has protected the royal family for six years (the royal family is shown also at the video).
"For us it is work, for them it is their every day life. I think it is important to keep up the professional way of working. The communication between me and the person I protect is very important. The person trusts on us, they feel secure with us, they must be able to live a normal life, although we are with them, even when they are private. It is important that they feel that everything stays with us, we don't speak about the people we protect with our relatives and friends. To work with the royal family is very exhilarating. We travel a lot, meet a lot of people, I see a lot. The people we protect have a big pressure from the media, they are seen much at official context. It requires a lot from me as a person. I have to be able to cooperate both internationally and nationally to do a good job. The best at my job as a bodyguard is that I can be physical, I have to keep myself in good shape. And if a person likes to drive a car and be tactical, one has to look for a job with us".
https://vimeo.com/181922515

Meet Sara, who has protected the royal family for eight years (Sara is often seen at Victoria's and Daniel's events).
"I went to police school in 1981 and have for the most of my career worked as a police in uniform. Then a colleague asked from me, if I would look for a job as a bodyguard. He thought that I would fit to be a bodyguard. I thought I was way too old. But I found out there was no age limit and attended a recruitment meeting and decided that I would look for a job as a bodyguard."
Sara tells about their training and education, which is shown at the video.
"I think that one should look for a job as a bodyguard because it is an exciting job, it is a challenge. One feels that there is a big responsibility, it is very good".
https://vimeo.com/181921376

Bo Broman is the textile conservator at the Royal Palace and responsible for all the textiles that are in the collections taken care of. An exhibition of the Royal wedding dresses requires a large preparatory work. For the exhibition Bo Broman has prepared everything so that all the dresses and veils can be presented.
Here's some of what he said:
- What has been fun for me is from so close to see the incredible craftsmanship of these dresses. Tailoring is a craft form having an unbroken line back as far we can count. Sometimes when I work with older textiles I see craft forms that are completely extinct today, we do not have the knowledge to manufacture some textile items anymore.
- Most of the dresses are available here at the Royal Palace and stored in a dark, laid out on the pull-out shelves and stuffed with silk paper to prevent wrinkling.
Queen Sofia's bridal veil from the mid-1800s is also in the exhibition. What are the requirements to be able to exhibit such an old and fragile textiles?
- It is the oldest and most fragile of the textiles included in this exhibition. It is located in a specially designed stand where the light is a little weaker than other places in the exhibition. The veil is not hanging but lies on an inclined plane. We can see how over the years it has been reinforced precisely because it is so fragile but it is great fun to be able to show that everyone can see the craft in it.
Is there anything that has surprised you in your work?
- What I have been most surprised that the dresses are in such a good condition. They are all so clean - white dresses which nevertheless have been through wedding, cortege outdoors, photo shoots, and long dinners.
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset...515803374007/1239893309402912/?type=3&theater

The court has a new information officer, Irene Beertema Strömmer.
Media - Sveriges Kungahus

Svensk Damtidning has an article of Anna Hamilton, First Lady of the Court and the head of H.M. The Queen's Household, who is The Queen's closest member of staff.
She is a mother of two, a countess, and one of the few people who has the number of queen Silvia's mobile phone. Anna Gabriella Catharina Hamilton, 50, is married with count Peter Hamilton and has daughters Louise and Gabriella. Svensk Damtidning met Anna Hamilton when she was at the state visit to Germany with the king and queen.
Anna Hamilton said: The Palace is a fantastic place to work! Most fun is to see the incredible work the royal family does. And be able to be a part of that work, it is fantastic. Then you meet very exciting people and attend at interesting meetings. My role is to see that the queen's program goes along well.
Anna Hamilton worked as the Head of PR and Communication at Stockholms Auktionsverk but when the court took contact about the job has the First Lady of the Court, the choice was easy. Anna Hamilton says that of course she was flattered and honored. She said yes right away. Of course the queen wanted to meet Anna and the meeting went well and Anna started at her work. On a normal work day Anna works at the Palace with the queen's secretary and three ladies-in-waitings. Anna says that the atmosphere there is very warm and nice.
When Anna isn't working, she likes to spend time in the nature. She runs and skis, but doesn't want to describe herself as a training freak.

The press department of the royal court organized a reception for information officer Ann-Christine Jernberg on 11th January at Slottsbacken 2. Ann-Christine resigned from her job as the information officer of the royal court on 1st December. The director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren held a speech where she spoke about Ann-Christine's interests, the four Ks. The first K is Kakor - cakes, Ann-Christine has always loved them. The second K is Karlar - men/husband. She is happily married with Per-Göran Grolander. The third K is Kultur - culture, which is her big passion, she visits often theatre and musicals and reads often reviews. And the fourth K is Katter - cats, Ann-Christine loves them and has some at home. And so she got a cat brooch as a present from the Royal Court. At the first photo Ann-Christine is with Charles Hammarsten, a long time royal photographer.
The three directors of the press department: Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg (1995-2004), Ann-Christine Jernberg (2004-2005) and Margareta Thorgren (2014-). Ann-Christine Jernberg came after Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg as the Director of the Press department in 2004. And in 2005 Ann-Christine was diagnosed with MS disease. So she retired from her work as the Director of the Press Department in the beginning of 2006, but stayed at the court as information officer.

Last edited:
The court gave a press release on Saturday about the delivery of H.M. The King's Medals
From the court staff H.M. The King's Medal 12th size medal with the Order of the Seraphim ribbon get
- First Marshal of the Court Mats Nilsson
- The Director of the Royal Collections Margareta Nisser-Dalman
- The Chief of Military Staff Håkan Pettersson

H.M. The King's Medal 8th size with a bright-blue ribbon gets
- Court Florist Claes Carlsson

H.M. The King's Medal 5th size with a bright-blue ribbon get
- Hairdressers Johan Hellström and Peter Hägelstam, who often do the hairdos of the royal women, especially queen Silvia's.

Some members of the staff of Royal Djurgården Administration and The Office of the Governor are rewarded of their long and faithful service.
Medaljförläningar 28 januari 2017 - Sveriges Kungahus

The medals are delivered on 7th February.

Queen Silvia's lady-in-waiting Harriet Bredelius

Margaretha Thorgren appears to be on a panel for the Royal Association.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSsvHcrljNL/

Veckomagasinet is a blog written by Anne von Porat. She is a member of the Royalist Association and writes to Association's magazine Rojalisten. Anne von Porat writes also at her blog sometimes events with royals, she has for instance met Daniel many times, she writes especially of the events in Uppsala.

Anne von Porat writes at her blog about the Rikstämma (The Annual General Meeting) of the Royalist Association held on 1st April. Margareta Thorgren gave a lecture there about her work.
Now I have finally met the director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren. I have now got a picture of how it is to work with information at the court. At the meeting Margareta Thorgren told about her and the information department's work for the four royal families. She told that they are not as secretive as people think about the court. They only do their work and plan different events for the royal family. What Thorgren thought was sad is that the media notices more the princess's clothes than the work they do.
How do we get the media to notice their work?
Then I came up with an idea that they would stop wearing ball gowns and jewelry so that you can scale down the fixation with the appearance. Then the work they do would be more apparent and the royal house would not be as "superficial" as many may feel it to be.
Imagine if politicians were always dressed up with jewelry and ball gowns? Then you would listen less to what they have to say and just see how they are dressed. Because, did you know that people notice 90% of how you look like and only 10% of what you say.
When you should dress to the nines?
Logically, you can be dressed up if you don't have much to say about a subject. Because then you can talk without people thinking so much about what you've said.
Vill du jobba som hovets informationschef så läs vidare i bloggen.

Margareta Thorgren and Patrik Åkesson, the Chairman of the Royalist Association, at a dinner held after the meeting. Photo from Facebook of the Royalist Association.
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=eff9c135c277d268d92664d5fb5e5c19&oe=599AD238

Anne von Porat was interviewed at another blog last October.
- You are a member of the Royalist Association. Do you meet the Royal family sometimes?
"I am a freelance journalist for the magazine Rojalisten and hence I follow the royal family everywhere. I can also accompany them abroad but I do not have time. I have met everyone from the royal family and my absolute favorite before and after meetings is Crown Princess Victoria. She has the most beautiful face in Sweden!"
- Do you think Victoria will take over the throne now? I wonder.
"No, I think she should be able to be a mother of small children in peace, then she can take over the throne."
Exklusiv intervju med bloggerskan Anne von Porat! - www.sarapärleros.se

Last edited:
Countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the former Mistress of the Robes of the Royal Court, died peacefully this afternoon at her home Trolle Ljungby Castle, the royal court confirms to TT News Agency. She was 91 years old.
The royal family members have been informed.
- The countess has been a very good adviser and a close friend of the royal family and has served for many years at the court, said Margareta Thorgren to TT.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister was the Mistress of the Robes from 1994 to December 2015. In 1978-1993 she was the First Lady of the Court, the Head of the queen's Household. She was the one who has been closest to the royal family in all years and the one, who outside the family saw the royal children first as newborn.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister got married in 1949 with count Hans-Gabriel Trolle-Wachtmeister (94). They had no children.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister är död – blev 91 _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

Alice and Hans-Gabriel Trolle-Wachtmeister in 1967
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010020011Q1498498538901658
And in the end of 2015 at their home
http://d6jf7ok6u1qis.cloudfront.net...unction=thumbnail&width=2500&height=2000&q=72

Last edited:
Countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the former Mistress of the Robes of the Royal Court, died peacefully this afternoon at her home Trolle Ljungby Castle, the royal court confirms to TT News Agency. She was 91 years old.
The royal family members have been informed.
- The countess has been a very good adviser and a close friend of the royal family and has served for many years at the court, said Margareta Thorgren to TT.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister was the Mistress of the Robes from 1994 to December 2015. In 1978-1993 she was the First Lady of the Court, the Head of the queen's Household. She was the one who has been closest to the royal family in all years and the one, who outside the family saw the royal children first as newborn.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister got married in 1949 with count Hans-Gabriel Trolle-Wachtmeister (94). They had no children.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister är död – blev 91 _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

Alice and Hans-Gabriel Trolle-Wachtmeister in 1967
And in the end of 2015 at their home
http://d6jf7ok6u1qis.cloudfront.net...unction=thumbnail&width=2500&height=2000&q=72

The flag flying at half mast at Trolle Ljungby Castle today.

Grevinnan Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister har avlidit - Kristianstadsbladet

Svensk Damtidning writes that according to information they have got, they can now confirm that the whole royal family will attend Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister's funeral.
Nya uppgifter_ Hela kungafamiljen närvarar vid Alice Trolle-Wachtmeisters begavning _ Svensk Damtidning

Margareta Thorgren said to Expressen that it is a private funeral and the king and queen will attend.
According to Expressen's information, however, more members of the royal family are coming - even though the last pieces of the puzzle in the schedule are not ready yet. Crown Princess Victoria, however, has told that she will attend the funeral just two days before her big day: the 40th birthday in Stockholm and Öland.
Sorgebeskedet innan Victorias födelsedag _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom