The Staff and Court of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The magazine "Arbetet" (Work) has an interview of 31-year-old Karolina Stenfelt, a carpenter at the Royal Palace.
Karolina is not just a new palace carpenter, she is also relatively new mother. Daughter Hedda filled just one year.
- I sat at home and nursed a seven-week old baby when the director of the Palace Administration called and wanted to meet me.
The palace carpenter would retire. Karolina had to start going in parallel with the old carpenter in a month. The whole month she could have Hedda with her.
- This is a good place to work. People who work here will remain until they retire.
Karolina wakes up at 04.15, starts her work at 06.00 and the work day ends at 15.30.
”Här vill jag vara till pensionen”
Translation

How fun to read about other members of staff than just the ones in the top positions:)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Alice Trolle-Wachmeister, the Mistress of the Robes, didn't attend at the wedding and wasn't at the "witness ceremony" with prince Nicolas. According to Expressen Madeleine is sad that the long tradition was broken, the First Lady of the Court, Kirstine Blixen-Finecke was at the witness ceremony.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister (89) tells to Expressen:
- I have been extremely ill, completely eliminated, and not at all able to take me to Stockholm.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister says that doctors initially suspected a number of different things.
- It's not cancer. There is something with the bones.
How are you today?
- I'm better and extremely grateful for it.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister is sad that she couldn't be in Stockholm this week.
- I have been bedridden and it has been impossible to do anything. I'm so sorry about this.
The royal family has constantly kept a close contact and she says that parts of the family have been and visited her at her home in Skåne.
- I am of course extremely grateful for that. I wish I had been able to attend both the wedding weekend and the arrival of little prince, but it has been impossible.
Maddes smärta över brutna traditionen _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

No one has blamed Madeleine, the press just writes that Madeleine was sad that Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the close friend of the royal family, couldn't attend at the ceremony and the long tradition was broken. Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister was at the witnessceremony when Victoria, Carl Philip, Madeleine and Estelle were born. Because Leonore was born in USA, things were little different.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet, the press blames Madeleine for this: it is a implicit "accusation" with their rubbish about "breaking the tradition and all"... God, the woman was ill!

No one has blamed Madeleine, the press just writes that Madeleine was sad that Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the close friend of the royal family, couldn't attend at the ceremony and the long tradition was broken.

Ah, thanks for claryinfing... still, the title "breaking with traditon" seems to assume this IMO

Annika Sönnerberg, the Deputy Director of the press department, isn't working there anymore. Her photo has been taken away from the website. Sönnerberg has worked at the press department for quite a long time, and was at work still in June.
Media - Sveriges Kungahus

:previous:
The Royal House did not say anything about it? I have been searching and have not found news about it.

The Head of the King's Household, Marshal of the Court Lars-Erik Tindre and The Head of Crown Princess Victoria's Household, Marshal of the Court Karolin A. Johansson, arriving to Carl Philip's wedding.
https://maxnoje.se/kungahuset/Broll...n-brudpar-kungahuset-Slottskyrkan-MaxNoje.jpg

Victoria's chambermaid/stylist Tina Törnqvist and the court florist Claes Carlsson (right) at ELLE Mat & Vin -magazine's 20th anniversary party on Friday.
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/dsc_0178.jpg
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/dsc_0180.jpg

Its hard to believe that Countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister is almost the same age as Queen Elizabeth II!

Its hard to believe that Countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister is almost the same age as Queen Elizabeth II!

Yes. I hope we will see The Mistress of the Robes at the christening of prince Nicolas. Her husband is 92 years old and they got married in 1949, a long life together.

Yes. I hope we will see The Mistress of the Robes at the christening of prince Nicolas. Her husband is 92 years old and they got married in 1949, a long life together.

That's what I was also thinking,the Countess has become a familiar face at the major court event.

:previous:
The Royal House did not say anything about it? I have been searching and have not found news about it.
The royal family's relationship with the press hit bottom under her regime. Margareta Thorgren have done a lot to improve the relations and the image of the royals and have done a very good job. Perhaps Annika's leaving is not a big surprise.

The royal family's relationship with the press hit bottom under her regime. Margareta Thorgren have done a lot to improve the relations and the image of the royals and have done a very good job. Perhaps Annika's leaving is not a big surprise.

Annika Sönnerberg worked as the fixed-term Director of the department from 1st January until 12th March 2014 when Margareta Thorgen started as the Director. Otherwise Sönnerberg had always a boss at the Press department, she has been the Deputy Director. She was working at the press department already in 2008 when Nina Eldh was the Director. Eldh quit at the end of 2010. Bertil Ternert started in the beginning of 2011, and retired in the end of 2013.

Anna Hamilton, the Head of PR and Communication at Stockholms Auktionsverk (the world's oldest auction house), starts as the First Lady of the Court and the Head of Queen Silvia's Household in January. She becomes the Queen's closest member of staff.
- Yes, it is true that I will start working as the Head of the Queen's Household, she confirms.
She can even become Princess Sofia's mentor - a role currently held by the First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke.
- There is nothing I can say at the present situation. But I'm obviously looking very much forward to my new job, says Hamilton.
The current First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke retires officially in January in 2016. She had her 70th birthday in May.
Hamilton blir Silvias nya närmsta kvinna _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Svensk Damtidning tells in their paper issue that the Crown Equerry and Chief of the Royal Mews, Mertil Melin, retired in the beginning of October. The new Crown Equerry is Ulf Gunnehed, who started working at the Royal Mews in the beginning of September and worked a month together with Melin.

Last edited:
Anna Hamilton, the Head of PR and Communication at Stockholms Auktionsverk (the world's oldest auction house), starts as the First Lady of the Court and the Head of Queen Silvia's Household in January. She becomes the Queen's closest member of staff.
- Yes, it is true that I will start working as the Head of the Queen's Household, she confirms.
She can even become Princess Sofia's mentor - a role currently held by the First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke.
- There is nothing I can say at the present situation. But I'm obviously looking very much forward to my new job, says Hamilton.
The current First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke retires officially in January in 2016. She had her 70th birthday in May.
Translation

Svensk Damtidning tells in their paper issue that the Crown Equerry and Chief of the Royal Mews, Mertil Melin, retired in the beginning of October. The new Crown Equerry is Ulf Gunnehed, who started working at the Royal Mews in the beginning of September and worked a month together with Melin.
Hon blir ny statsfru på slottet | Svensk Damtidning

Translation

And confirmed by the Royal Court: Ny statsfru vid Kungl. Hovstaterna - Sveriges Kungahus

Interesting.

Could this be the beginning of a - shall we say - more hands on management of the SRF PR service?

Interesting.

Could this be the beginning of a - shall we say - more hands on management of the SRF PR service?

Ms Hamilton is a real superwoman, if she has in addition to her work as the First Lady of the Court time for the PR of the court. The Queen's Household and the First Lady of the Court are also responsible for the Royal Domestic Household at Drottningholm.

EDIT: Svensk Damtidning has edited their article and tells that Margareta Thorgren told them that Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke continues as Sofia's mentor.

It seems that ms Hamilton is also a member of the swedish nobility, at least according to a comment at Svensk Damtidning's article.

Last edited:
Good. Sounds like she's what the SRF needs.

The Swedish PR-department has hardly been stellar in its way to conduct things.
Whether that is due to lack of co-ordination from above or simply being inept will probably be seen now when a true professional moves in.

The Swedish PR-department has hardly been stellar in its way to conduct things.
Whether that is due to lack of co-ordination from above or simply being inept will probably be seen now when a true professional moves in.

Margareta Thorgren had worked as director of communications both at Scandic Hotels and Scan AB before she started as the Director of the Press Department. She had also worked on consulting, public relations and as a media advisor. She was also the founder and PR Consultant of M-agera.

According to the court press release ms Hamilton is involved in the overall planning of the Queen's and the King and Queen's program and is responsible together with the First Marshal of the Court for the implementation of the state visits.
About the work of the Queen's Household here:
H.M. The Queen's Household - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
It seems that ms Hamilton is also a member of the swedish nobility, at least according to a comment at Svensk Damtidning's article.

Well,she is Coutess Hamilton...

She was born Baroness Anna Gabriella Catharina Rudbeck...Rudbeck is a noble family that originated from the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein.

Their ancestor Johan,who died in 17th century,was the one who came first to Sweden and settled there...the family was ennobled there in 1719.

On the other hand,her husband Count Peter Hamilton is even distantly related to the Swedish royal family having descended from of many great houses such as Leiningen,Reuss,Salm,Lippe,Wied,Solms,Schawrzburg,Erbach,Platen-Hallermund,Biron von Kurland...

Bishop emeritus Lars-Göran Lönnermark retires as Chief Court Chaplain in the end of October.
We saw him at the Prince baptism on Sunday with Archbishop Antje Jackelén. Already in 1988 Lars-Göran Lönnermark was appointed to the chaplain of the Court parish and to Chief Court Chaplain to the King in 2007. The king together with the Queen decides who succeeds Lönnermark. The only condition is that the person must be a bishop. There is currently no decision on who it will be according to the court's press service.

What do you remember most from those years?
- It has been incredibly fun years these nine that I had the responsibility of the Court parish. There are mainly three things that stand out. I got to work with two prayer books, both Queen Silvia's prayer book and Princess Estelle's prayer book, it was very special. Then we have all these baptisms, weddings and funerals. And the third is the TV-broadcasted Sunday services.
You are 76 now, how does it feel to take it easy?
- It is natural that existence becomes calmer. I live in Skara and have traveled up to the Court parish about every two weeks. But I have been constantly in charge and the phone has been able to ring anytime.
Finally, what will be your main memory of Sunday's baptism when little Prince Nicolas was baptized in the Drottningholm Palace church?
- That children are children. We all smiled big when little Estelle picked up the pacifier and when Princess Leonore went to the baptismal font. It was a very nice baptismal service.
Lönnermark slutar som överhovpredikant _ Kyrkans Tidning

Ah I thought that the archbishop was going to stay forever (longer). He really does looks younger. How does that work? I mean, how is the time of retirement decided? It is a pity really. Could the archbishop Jackelen replace him?

Ah I thought that the archbishop was going to stay forever (longer). He really does looks younger. How does that work? I mean, how is the time of retirement decided? It is a pity really. Could the archbishop Jackelen replace him?

Lönnermark isn't the archbishop and has never been. Lönnermark was bishop at the Skara diocese until 2004, I think he retired then at the age of 65 years but served at the same time as the chaplain of the court.
Archbishop Jackelén is now 60 years old, the former archbishop Anders Wejryd retired last year when he had his 66 birthday. So I think that Jackelén stays as archbishop the next almost six years.
I think that the court informs about the new Chief Court Chaplain before the end of the month, when bishop emeritus Lönnermark has his last work day.

Last edited:
Lönnermark isn't the archbishop and has never been. Lönnermark was bishop at the Skara diocese until 2004, I think he retired then at the age of 65 years but served at the same time as the chaplain of the court.
Archbishop Jackelén is now 60 years old, the former archbishop Anders Wejryd retired last year when he had his 66 birthday. So I think that Jackelén stays as archbishop the next almost six years.
I think that the court informs about the new Chief Court Chaplain before the end of the month, when bishop emeritus Lönnermark has his last work day.
Thank you. Sorry if I always ask, but as a raised catholic, to me other religions and how those work are a mistery:bang:

Bishop Johan Dalman is appointed as new Chief Court Chaplain by the King. He accede during a service on First Advent.

Ny överhovpredikant utnämnd - Sveriges Kungahus

He is married with Margareta Nisser-Dalman, the Director of the Royal Collections. He is a member of the noble family Dalman, according to Wikipedia.

Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, who retires from her work as the First Lady of the Court and the Head of HM the Queen's Household on 1st January, starts on the same day as the Mistress of the Robes (överhovmästarinna), after Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister.

As the Mistress of the Robes Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke has an advisory function, assists at the incoming state visits and other ceremonies as well as continues to support Princess Sofia in her education. Blixen-Finecke also continues as a member of the Board in the World Childhood Foundation, the Global Child Forum and the Foundation Care About the Children.
Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke blir överhovmästarinna - Sveriges Kungahus

I was thinking about this when the court told about von Blixen-Finecke retiring from her work. Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister has also been the First Lady of the Court before she was appointed as the Mistress of the Robes.

He is married with Margareta Nisser-Dalman, the Director of the Royal Collections. He is a member of the noble family Dalman, according to Wikipedia.

Very interesting observations LadyFinn, I didn't know that.

Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, who retires from her work as the First Lady of the Court and the Head of HM the Queen's Household on 1st January, starts on the same day as the Mistress of the Robes (överhovmästarinna), after Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister.

As the Mistress of the Robes Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke has an advisory function, assists at the incoming state visits and other ceremonies as well as continues to support Princess Sofia in her education. Blixen-Finecke also continues as a member of the Board in the World Childhood Foundation, the Global Child Forum and the Foundation Care About the Children.
Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke blir överhovmästarinna - Sveriges Kungahus

I'm not surprised. Neither by the fact that Alice TW steps down or that Kirstine BF is the one taking over. Though I'll miss old Battleship Wachtmeister. What a character!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom