The Staff and Court of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Twelve adjutants for Victoria!
I almost fell on my back, when I read that.
Then I started to read what they are actually doing and it makes more sense.
I see that Swedish adjutants have a much wider range of responsibillities than in say Denmark, where QMII has a staff of four or five adjutants and sometimes the other members of the DRF borrow and adjutant.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Victoria doesn't have lady-in-waiting, right?
She would hardly need one with an adjutant around.

Actually, of those twelve adjutants two are Carl Philip´s, Victoria has ten adjutants.

Actually, of those twelve adjutants two are Carl Philip´s, Victoria has ten adjutants.

Thanks, LadyFinn,

So the three siblings have a staff of adjutants of their own, with CP Victoria, unsurprisingly, as the head?
Presumably then the King has a staff of adjutants of his own, of which Queen Silvia has been allocated some?

It interest me, because the Swedish system is a development of the typical role of royal adjutants beforehand, - for males that is.
For how long do the adjutants serve?

Do Queen Silvia and Victoria have a kind of personal assistant, which can be compared to a lady-in-waiting?
I mean you can hardly expect anyone to build up a relationship, that is very much built on confidence, with twelve persons, who on top of that rotate.

The Queen has no own adjutants.
About Her Majesty The Queen´s Household
H.M. The Queen's Household - Sveriges Kungahus

The Crown Princess's household is headed by the Marshal of the Court, Jörgen Lindström. The Crown Princess has a secretary. Before the wedding it was announced that Victoria had got a lady-in-waiting, but I don´t know if she still has one.
H.R.H. The Crown Princess's Household - Sveriges Kungahus

Marshal of the Court Elisabeth Palmstierna heads Princess Lillian's household.
H.R.H. The Duchess of Halland's Household - Sveriges Kungahus

The Organisation Plan of the court
Organisation Plan - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Last edited:
:previous:
Thanks LadyFinn :flowers:

It appears then that Queen Silvia has LiW's who perform a number of the roles CP Victoria's adjutants has performed, at least so far.

The First Lady of the Court, i.e. the one who is in charge of Queen Silvia's part of the court, is she a former LiW, who has been promoted or is she a professional administrator?

Do you mean that Queen is not accompanied by an adjutant, when on the job alone? Or that she just doesn't have personal adjutants? - I.e. she's lending one from the King.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I ask a lot of questions, but it intriques me. :)

Royal courts

Sorry to interrupt your discussions!
Although I am a member of royal family, but only as a lawyer, I know that the rules and even th
e definitions of the court for royal family is not the same as normal courts. It is mostly, in many cases even the rules enforced for the people, are just an optional rule for the royal family. I like it to remain the same and I support this. Although my royal family is not ruling in my country anymore and the people changed it to Republic about 30 years ago.:bang:

:previous:
Do you mean that Queen is not accompanied by an adjutant, when on the job alone? Or that she just doesn't have personal adjutants? - I.e. she's lending one from the King.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I ask a lot of questions, but it intriques me. :)

At this interview it is said that Madeleine doesn´t have any adjutants, because she just doesn´t want to have them. Queen Silvia has ladies in waiting instead of adjutants. Daniel doesn´t have adjutants of his own, but one of Victoria´s adjutants goes usually with him to his duties, I have often seen an adjutant with Daniel at the photos.
Madeleine kan klara sig själv - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen

He's the one who's rather "bad" at his press job isn't he?

Hovets informationschef slutar | In...astenytt/ttnyheter/inrikes/article17538961.ab

The Chief of the Press Departement Mr Bertil Ternert is to retire by the end of the year . The recruitment of a new Press Chief has already begun.

:champagne: Good news! The media policy of the Swedish RF has been down in the pits for a long time (already under his predecessor Nina Eldh). Let's hope that they will hire somebody who can pronounce: 'no comment' and 'private' in one sentense instead of eternally babbling nonsense to the gossip press.

:champagne: Good news! The media policy of the Swedish RF has been down in the pits for a long time (already under his predecessor Nina Eldh). Let's hope that they will hire somebody who can pronounce: 'no comment' and 'private' in one sentense instead of eternally babbling nonsense to the gossip press.

I agree

I think they should recruit from inside the palace this time. Morgan Gerle would be good. He was press secretary during many years when E T-W were press chief and is still at the royal court, knows and respects each member the royal family enough to not talk too much to the gossip media.

Anyway, the man or woman who will get the job must be better than what has been. Nina Eldh and Bertil Ternert showed us that it's not about your background because they had very good backgrounds as press chief at Sony Ericsson (Nina) , The Swedish military and Scandinavian Airlines (Bertil) . It's all about who you are and how you can act in stressful situations and in times of heavy pressure from the media and at the same time protect the privacy of the royal family. That's not an easy task but i think the best "training school" is to work at the royal court in other public positions before becoming press chief. I won't be surprised if a former press secretary, a court marshall, a lady in waiting or a Chamberlain will be announced as the new press chief.

Last edited:
I do have to say that I'm glad Mr. Ternert is going to retire. The PR for the SRF has been at a low for a long while now. I do hope that the person they hire can execute the phrase "The family has no comment at this time." or can just not say anything at all. Depending on the money involved, I might would think about the position, of course I don't speak the language, so that might be a big problem!

The former Marshal of the Court and the Director of the Press Department, Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, has given an interview to Nyheter24.
She says that when she was working at the court "they had their storms".
Crown princess Victoria has the queen's empathy and the king's responsiveness. She is a very warm and inquisitive person. One should remember that the king, Victoria and Carl Philip have dyslexia, they usually develop other talents than theoretical instead. Carl Philip has creative talent and Victoria is with Daniel very much involved with the reality. Madeleine is well educated.
Tarras-Wahlberg says that many young people say they do not care about the royal family. But when something big happens, as the tsunami or a wedding, they do care. They follow the events, by TV or read about it. During travels in Sweden, it was always many young people out there in places the royal couple visited.
She says that she probably would not take a bullet meant for the King, but she is happy to defend the royal family.
Tarras-Wahlberg says about the king now have to report more about the use of the apanage, that she thinks that the king shouldn't have to disclose if he buys low-fat milk or skimmed milk. There are many others who are paid by taxpayers who do not have to account for every penny. In Norway, the king simply gets a salary and he doesn't have to tell what he makes with the money, just as any other citizen anywhere.
Tarras-Wahlberg has her birthday also 15th September, the royal couple didn't congratulate her, but Victoria and Daniel sent their congratulations.
The royal family follows the media and read the press reviews about what is written about them. Tarras-Wahlberg hasn't been involved in recent years with writings about the Queen's father's involvement in the war, and the book by Thomas Sjöberg (The Reluctant Monarch). But she thinks that the media could have been more source critical, now all ran in the same direction. No one questioned these images which then turned out to be fake. Because she doesn't have all the facts, she is careful with her opinion about how the court has handled these situations.
Many think that the king doesn't do anything really, and sometimes it was difficult to tell out that he's working hard. Many people don't see a dinner as a job. But he doesn't sit and talk about weather and kids and diapers but represents Sweden. It's a job to represent Sweden in both word and deed. Just because it's empty in the official program doesn't mean that the King is not in the office. He prepares carefully, writes speeches, plans, receives briefings, receives visitors, reads on and reads newspapers.
About the king's favourite course Tarras-Wahlberg tells that the king said: "I say now that it's stuffed cabbage, then I get stuffed cabbage every day. If I say that it is hash so I will get it." But he is fond of Swedish homely fare because he gets it so rarely.
Tar inte ta en kula för kungen
Translation

The Mistress of the Robes, Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister told to Svensk Damtidning, that queen Silvia has a new lady-in-waiting. She is 52 years old Eva Hafström, who has been living in Washington the last years as her husband Jonas was the ambassador of Sweden there. Now Jonas Hafström has retired and they moved to Sweden again. Eva Hafström has graduated from both the Swedish National Police Academy and from the communications line of Skurup Folk High School. She worked for The Swedish National Police Board when she was younger.
Eva Hafström started her work on 1st September and Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister tells that she is on trial period, even the court has that nowadays. The state visit of Portugal was the first big work event for the new lady-in-waiting. Eva Hafström works as a lady-in-waiting with Christina von Schwerin, who has worked in the court for 30 years.
Eva and Jonas Hafström with Madeleine and Chris.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7284/8742573040_8cb27e307b_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is a silly question- but what do the ladies in waiting do??

So this is a silly question- but what do the ladies in waiting do??

Not such a silly question, but I'll give a silly answer: a lady-in-waiting is like having a bridesmaid all the time and not just on your wedding day!

Not such a silly question, but I'll give a silly answer: a lady-in-waiting is like having a bridesmaid all the time and not just on your wedding day!

I have known several ladies who have "waited." They were lifelong friends of "their" particular Royal and did a tour of duty for limited periods, when the permanent lady in waiting was away.

Queen Silvia doesn't have adjutants, so the lady-in-waiting follows her at her work events.

The court hasn't appointed a new Director of the Information and press department after Bertil Ternert retired at the end of December. The former Deputy Director Annika Sönnerberg is named as fixed-term Director of the department, obviously it isn't easy to find a new director.
Pressrum - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

The court hasn't appointed a new Director of the Information and press department after Bertil Ternert retired at the end of December. The former Deputy Director Annika Sönnerberg is named as fixed-term Director of the department, obviously it isn't easy to find a new director.
Pressrum - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

I must admit i am not unhappy Ternert retired, it's time for somebody with different approach to take his place

Now that she's spoken to the press a few times, what do you think of Annika Sönnerberg? I think she does a better job then Bertil Tennert so far, because she is more like "I talk a few nice words in your direction but not really telling you anything." I think this is a good example of what I mean:

Svensk Damtidning writes that the king and the queen wanted that the baby would be born but Madeleine's strong will won and the baby will be born in USA.
Madeleine's and Chris O'Neill's daughter becomes a U.S. citizen.
- It has no constitutional significance where she gives birth, as the King and Queen have approved Madeleine's decision.
But there is a risk that the baby will "drop" her ticket to the succession order to the Swedish throne.
If Madeleine's daughter gets a Catholic upbringing, which is her father's family tradition, it could mean that she loses her place in the succession. According to the king's attorney, the following applies: If the child becomes only a U.S. citizen, or if it takes too long before the family moves home, Madeleine's daughter can lose her right to the crown.
- We give detailed information on this in connection with the birth. I do not have all the information now, says Annika Sönnerberg, the deputy director of the press department.
Estelles nya kusin blir amerikanska! Svensk Damtidning
Translation

It seems strange that the king's solicitor doesn't know that the child of a Swedish mother will always become a Swedish citizen.
Automatic citizenship through birth, adoption or parental marriage - Swedish Migration Board

Svensk Damtidning writes that the king and queen can't make a decision about the new director for the Information and press department. Various names have been mentioned, but the recruitment goes slowly. SD says that there are news that the younger generation has various views about who should handle their PR and communication. Madeleine uses her Facebook to telling news. Carl Philip has nowadays Christina Saliba as is PR-woman, she has trained Carl Philip's public performance skills. And Victoria and Daniel did a conscious choice when they appointed Karolin A. Johansson as the head of Victoria's household and as Marshal of the Court. She was earlier the press secretary of a minister, has a modern relationship with the media and is close to the age of the crown princess couple. The deputy director of the press department, Annika Sönnerberg says that the recruitment takes time and the process is going on but there is no reason to delay it.

Expressen reveals that the court has asked both the ceo of SVT Eva Hamilton and the informationchef Kristina Stenvinkel from H&M as the new director for the press department, but both have said no.
- I love my job at H&M and have no plans to change jobs, says Kristina Stenvinkel.
Eva Hamilton has refused to comment a job offer from the court.
Kvinnorna som nobbar kungen Nyheter Expressen

Margareta Thorgren is the new Director of the Information and Press Department. She starts at her new job on 12th March. She has been working as the Vice President of Group Communication at Scandic Hotels and before that as the Communications Director at Scan AB.
Margareta Thorgren ny informationschef vid Kungl. Hovstaterna - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Margareta Thorgren is 50 years old. She has met some members of the royal family during the process. She is going to meet Bertil Ternert and the other former Directors of the press department before she starts her work.
Hon blir hovets nya informationschef Nyheter Aftonbladet

Margareta Thorgren is married and has five children.
Hovet bekräftar – hon blir ny informationschef Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't the family promote the current deputy if they are having such a hard time finding someone from outside? Most of the senior staff at Buckingham Palace (Private Secretary to HM and Press Secretary to HM) are promoted from deputy. To me that makes sense as they get to find out how their role in the unique organisation they are in (a Royal Court) works before taking on the top job. IMO the last director of the press department was not very good probably because he was use to working for a business where its ok to be so open and defensive!! No wonder the other members of the royal family have found their own advisers!

An old photo of the Mistress of the Robes, the First Lady of the Court, the Marshal of the Court and Ladies in Waiting.
From left:
Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, Lady in waiting and after that the First Lady of the Court from 2003-
Elisabeth Palmstierna, the Marshal of the Court of princess Lilian's household
Louise Lyberg, the First Lady of the Court 1993-2003
Wendela Mattsson, Lady in waiting for 20 years
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the First Lady of the Court 1978-1993 and after that the Mistress of the Robes
Christina von Schwerin, Lady in waiting from 1990-
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.....0-9/1013826_272300549600058_1184443072_n.jpg

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning wrote a couple of weeks ago about the staff of the court

Svante Lindqvist, 66, is The Marshal of the Realm. He is the Head of the Court and is accountable to The King for the activities of the entire Royal Court organization.
First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, is the head of The Queen's Household and is The Queen's closest member of staff. She is 69 years old and has been the First Lady of the Court since 2003. Before that she was the queen’s lady-in-waiting.
The queen has two ladies-in-waitings. 66-year old Christina von Schwerin has worked for the queen for over 20 years. Christina works for 14 days and then continues the other lady-in-waiting, 53-year-old Eva Hafström for 14 days. When Eva’s husband Jonas retired as ambassador of Sweden in Washington, the court made a job offer for Eva. She has graduated from both the Swedish National Police Academy and from the communications line of Skurup Folk High School. She worked for The Swedish National Police Board when she was younger.
The Master of Ceremony is Jan-Erik Warren, 68. He takes care and plans the big events, at the latest the christening of princess Leonore. He was also Daniel’s mentor when he had his introduction programme. Warren lives at the Royal Mews with wife Inger.
Margareta Thorgren is the new Director of the Press Department, who started in March. She is 51-years old and worked before at Scandic Hotels and Scan. She has five children, her son Sven represented Sweden at the Olympic Games in Sochi in snowboarding.
Ebba von Mecklenburg, 68, is the “Åldfrun”, the Housekeeper at the Palace. She is responsible of everything from window cleaning to planning of the king’s gala dinners. She is one of the few who lives at the Royal Palace.
The King’s secretary is 61-year-old Heidi Kumlin. She worked before for the Minister for Foreign Affairs. She has good language skills and is a real marvel in schedule planning. She lives at the Royal Mews with her husband Peter.
Mertil Melin, 68, is the current Court Equerry, the chief of the Royal Mews. He is responsible for all the transportations the royal family needs, both in cars and in carriages.
Madeleine’s chambermaid is 70-year-old Ann Schierenbeck. She has previously worked both as the queen’s and Victoria’s chambermaid.
39-year-old Anita Söderlind works as Carl Philip’s and Madeleine’s secretary.

Last edited:
The magazine "Arbetet" (Work) has an interview of 31-year-old Karolina Stenfelt, a carpenter at the Royal Palace.
Karolina is not just a new palace carpenter, she is also relatively new mother. Daughter Hedda filled just one year.
- I sat at home and nursed a seven-week old baby when the director of the Palace Administration called and wanted to meet me.
The palace carpenter would retire. Karolina had to start going in parallel with the old carpenter in a month. The whole month she could have Hedda with her.
- This is a good place to work. People who work here will remain until they retire.
Karolina wakes up at 04.15, starts her work at 06.00 and the work day ends at 15.30.
”Här vill jag vara till pensionen”
Translation

Back
Top Bottom