The Staff and Court of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read an article in Svensk Damtidning about the lady-in-waitings, and one of them I couldn´t fin in this thread so heres some info about Elaine Backman:

She is living in London and is mostly with the Queen when she is abroad in London, Paris and the french riviera.

photo from olycom :
Silvia with her lady-in-waiting Elaine Backman in St Maxime, june 2002

Attachments

• 000602w.jpg
    000602w.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3,186
  • 000601w.jpg
    000601w.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,243
Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for posting the photos Yennie. Queen Silvia seems to get along well with her lady-in-waiting Elaine Backman.

Does anyone have any info on Baroness Elizabeth Palmstierna, Court Marshall to Princess Lillian? She featured in Lady Veronica Maclean's book on royals of the world and was described as charming.

So it seems Elizabeth Tarras-Wahlberg is of aristocratic descent, being the granddaughter of a baron. And then there's Countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, and there's that Baron Blixen-Whatever (no doubt a relative of Karen Blixen, who Meryl Streep portrayed in "Out of Africa"). It's interesting that the Swedish royals still tend to employ aristocrats at the palace, when the Queen herself is no aristocrat.

In his authorized biography, Juan Carlos of Spain asserted that the people who work within the King's household are no bluebloods, but ordinary working people.

Brian_Ahern said:
Does anyone have any info on Baroness Elizabeth Palmstierna, Court Marshall to Princess Lillian? She featured in Lady Veronica Maclean's book on royals of the world and was described as charming.
Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna is the widow of the late Baron Carl-Fredrik Palmstierna, son of Erik Kule Palmstierna (1877-1959, Social Democratic politician and Minister for Foreign Affairs for a short period). Her late husband, Carl-Fredrik, was employed by the Court too, and worked close to the late King Gustaf VI Adolf.

Elisabeth was born as Tham, being the daughter of the late Court Marshall Wilhelm Tham.

She has worked at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs (1940's-1950's) where she served at the offices in Helsinki, Warzawa and Rome, and the companies Bofors and Sveriges Kreditbank.

Her "career" with the Royal Court goes like this: the Office of the Marshall of the Court 1953-1961, secretary for the Duke of Halland in 1962, Court Intendant 1974, First Court Intendant 1979, Court Marshall 1991.

So it seems Elizabeth Tarras-Wahlberg is of aristocratic descent, being the granddaughter of a baron. And then there's Countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, and there's that Baron Blixen-Whatever (no doubt a relative of Karen Blixen, who Meryl Streep portrayed in "Out of Africa"). It's interesting that the Swedish royals still tend to employ aristocrats at the palace, when the Queen herself is no aristocrat.

Baroness Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke wasn´t born royal but is married to a baron. A relative of his was married to Karen, nee Dinesen. Another member of the family was Denmarks foreign minister and married to a princess of Hessen.
Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister (nee Tornérhielm) grew up on the Gedsholm estate in Skåne and married count Hans Gabriel Wachtmeister. A few years later he inherited the Trolle-Ljungby estate in Skåne which is one of the biggest in Sweden at 11500 hectares. There is a rule from the early 19th century that the member of the Wachtmeister family that holds this estate should add a Trolle in front of his name as the estate originally came from the Trolle family. This couple is around 80 years old and childless.
Another noblewoman in the vicinity of the queen is baroness Christina von Schwerin (nee baroness Bonde) Her sister in law Louise Lyberg (nee baroness von Schwerin) who is best known in Sweden as an expert on fine art in television used to hold Kirstine von Blixen-Fineckes position. It is worth noting that one of the crownprincess aide in camps is noble (von Knorring) another has a double family name that includes Trolle (noble but i don´t know her relation to the Trolle family).
I think that part of the reason that there are so much nobility around the court, and particularly the queen, is that it is badly paid to work for the court and most of these people does not need to work for money.
There are several "young pensioners" at the court as well that may belong to this group. They includes the master of the royal stables major general Mertil Melin, the court marshal, former politician and regional governor Ingemar Eliason, and former CEO of insurance company Trygg Hansa, Björn Sprängare, who is in charge of the royal palaces.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply so fully!:) This is a very interesting topic to me.

and now we have a new members of staff in victorias court

Josefine said:
and now we have a new members of staff in victorias court
A new person working for the Crown Princess' Household yes, but I don't think she counts as the normal staff do, her position is rather different - more of an advisor than ordinary staff.

i thought she would be a staff in the crown princess court

i also must say i did not know carl philip and madeleine shared mentor

Josefine said:
i thought she would be a staff in the crown princess court
Dinkelspiel will be employed by the Crown Princess' Household yes - but she's not like the normal staff that she has otherwise (like residence staff and office staff), rather just employed as an advisor. Maybe more like a consultancy employment, since I think she has her normal teaching job to take care of too. And not full time.

This week's Svensk Damtidning writes that Crown Princess Victoria's new study guide, Louise Dinkelspiel, will be employed by her Household on part-time.

Louise, who is 57 years old, was Crown Princess Victoria's English teacher in high school and both Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine's form teacher/class teacher (responsible for their classes).

In a comment to the magazine, she says that she will only plan the studies - and that different teachers will be hired to the subject studies.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the members of staff closest to the royal family, Ann Christine Jernberg, is leaving her duty (as we have discussed before) and this is because she is ill. She has MS, multipel skleros.

Very sad news....
http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=445407

That was sad news.:( I hope that she will have such a good life as she can the time she has left..

MS is not a death sentence. Many people live active and happy lives for many years with the illness. With suitable treatments and lifestyle changes she will hopefully have many more years to enjoy. Let's hope she and her doctors will find ways to slow the progression and perhaps soon there will be more effective and better treatments available.grevinnan

The search has an end...the court has a new press chief.
Her name is Nina Eldh and she starts to incorporate this autumn and will fill her new position on the 1st of January 2006
Eldh has a lot of experience in this field. She has worked as press secreatary for the municipality of Gothenburg, and she acted as chef for information for SAS and Nokia. From 2001-2004 she worked as chef for information for Sony Ericsson in London. In the last year she worked with her own acitivites.
Ann Christine Jernberg, who was press chief from the 1st of October 2004 will go back to her old position as secretary for information (when the circumstances wouldn´t be so sad, I would say, that this solution is surely the best)

Nina Eldh:
a15ay.jpg

http://www.royalcourt.se/aktuellt/pressmeddelanden/pressmeddelandearkiv/5.19fe5e61065eb9aeea80002133.html

Here are my translations of two small interviews with Nina Eldh, the new Director of the Information and Press Department at the Royal Court.

From Svenska Dagbladet (national Swedish newspaper):

Hello there!

Nina Eldh, new Director of the Information and Press Department at the Royal Court from the first of January.

Congratulations to the new job. How does it feel?
- Thank you very much. It feels very good, exciting and interesting. I look forward to it a lot.

You have earlier worked at among other Sony Ericsson and SAS and in the municipality of Gothenburg. How does this job differ from your previous jobs?
- It’s a bit early to say, since I haven’t started yet. But I hope that my many years in the corporate and public sector, both abroad and in Sweden, will be of use. I have been working abroad, seeing Sweden from the outside. Through our diversity in culture, history, science and business, the image of Sweden can strengthen.

What do you see as your most important task?
- To support the Head of State and the work around him, and to work for Sweden. I will carry on in the positive way that the current information department works on, with openness.

How do you prepare?
- During the fall I will orientate myself into the work, meet different people, listen, learn and read.

Have you had time to meet the Royal Family yet?
- Yes, I did this summer. It was very personal and nice meetings.

What can the hardest situation be in your work?
- I don’t look for difficulties. Let’s cross the bridge when we get to it, I usually say.

The original article (in Swedish) can be found here.

From Dagens Industri (national business & financial newspaper)

eldh199.jpg

Ericsson profile to the Royal Court

Nina Eldh, information director during many years in the telecom sector, with jobs for Sony Ericsson and Nokia, will take over as Director of the Press and Information Department at the Royal Court. DI made a call.

Was it a difficult decision, to say yes to the new job?
- No, it wasn’t. I think this is incredibly exciting.

Was it the King who called?
- (laugh) No, it doesn’t work like that. It was the Marshal of the Realm who called. But I have of course met the King, Queen and Crown Princess, it’s their decision.

Are you a convinced royalist?
- We have a Royal House that is one of the most respected in Europe. I believe in what they stand for and look forward to support the work that the Head of State do. I have worked very commercially during the last few years, and look forward to work in a world where also culture and history is important.

What do you think of the predecessor, Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg?
- She has done an incredible job and won great respect. I have also worked with media for many years, and want to continue with the open and positive work she has started.

At last, will you get a good salary?
- I think we’ll keep that private. But it’s no colossal heights.

The original article (in Swedish) can be found here.

it will be intresting to see her skills to handle the media at court

Can anyone help me?

Don't work the potographer Eva-Marie Rundquist by the royal couple. She made wonderful official pictures from the silver-wedding 2001. On her pictures the couple (at first the king) are without a stern face and looks not so serious on the pictures by Eva-Marie Rundquist.

Do Eva-Marie Rundquist official pictures by the kings 60.birthday, too?

ursulajohanna said:
Can anyone help me?

Don't work the potographer Eva-Marie Rundquist by the royal couple. She made wonderful official pictures from the silver-wedding 2001. On her pictures the couple (at first the king) are without a stern face and looks not so serious on the pictures by Eva-Marie Rundquist.

Do Eva-Marie Rundquist official pictures by the kings 60.birthday, too?
I dont think she works for the royal court. She is a photographer who has done many different things. But she did take the wonderful photos for Queen Silvias book and some official photos of the royalfamily

I know I posted this video before but does anyone recognise some of the staff here? I think some of them took part in the wedding (e.g. the guy on the horse around 1:15 and the people at the meeting around 3 minutes in).

There are at least these:
The mistress of the robes, countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, 84 years old.
Hovets grand old lady | Bakom Kulisserna
The former Marshal of the Realm, Ingemar Eliasson. He worked as a Marshal from 2003 until the end of 2009.
Royal Court
The Director of the Information and Press Department, Nina Eldh
Aftonbladet
The First Marshal of the Court, Lars Hjalmar Wide
SvenskDam
The head of HM The King's Military Staff, Major General Håkan Pettersson, who was also the official wedding coordinator of the wedding of Victoria and Daniel
Stabschef Håkan Pettersson utsedd till bröllopssamordnare - Sveriges Kungahus

Nina Eldh will be leaving teh royal court soon: Nina Eldh slutar som hovets informationschef - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje

She has choosen to to renew it after it ends on 31 december. She feels great sadness. The king wanted her to continue, but she felt 5 years was enought and she was part of history during the wedding.

Tarras-Wahlberg planerar inte återgå som hovets informationschef - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje

Tarras Whalberg say she will not make a comeback, she is fine were she currently is

i do hope the next one will be better and make some changes

Boris i think you like this a lot who would you like to see on the job

I can´t say that i´m very sad to hear these news;)

One person that i would want to succeed Nina Eldh is Lottie Knutsson - the head of information of Fritidsresor (a travel company) wich got the love and respect from all of Sweden during the Tsunami

Article on how the King runs his court from last year. Based on interviews with some members of staff.
Han styr hovet med järnhand | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Interview with Jörgen Lindström, who became head of Crown Princess Victoria's household the beginning of last year.
Metro - Marskalken kommer inte att säga "Vickan"

Kärlek vid första ögonkastet
Marshal of the Realm Svante Lindquist will be giving a lecture this Saturday. Has anyone been to these lectures?

The new Director of Communications
Bertil Ternert ny informationschef vid Hovet - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Thanks Esmeralda; here an article from Svensk Damtiding about the same thing, but translated into english:

Google Translate

Bertil Ternert will take over the job from the much critisized (on the internet forums anyway) Nina Eldh. He used to work for SAS.

The Master of Ceremonies (and the instructor of prince Daniel) Jan Warren tells in SvenskDam that in a normal month without special birthdays, dinners, weddings etc. his work takes three days a month. The work as an instructor to a very ambitious prince Daniel takes also some days. He tells that working with prince Daniel is exciting, privileged, fantastic and really pleasant. Jan Warren is 66 years old and he could have retired already. But since his working load is very variable and he can spend a lot of the month with his wife at their home in Öland, he hasn´t been thinking of retiring. The Warrens have an apartment in Stockholm also. Warren tells that he started working for the court 25 years ago as an adjutant. Last year he was appointed as the Master of Ceremonies. To the question which has been the hardest task during the years, he answers: To learn to find everything in the castle, it has taken 25 years!

The adjutants of the king and the adjutants of Victoria (and Daniel). Eight of the twelve adjutants of Victoria are women.
Passar upp för 60 000 i månaden | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Twelve adjutants for Victoria!
I almost fell on my back, when I read that.
Then I started to read what they are actually doing and it makes more sense.
I see that Swedish adjutants have a much wider range of responsibillities than in say Denmark, where QMII has a staff of four or five adjutants and sometimes the other members of the DRF borrow and adjutant.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Victoria doesn't have lady-in-waiting, right?
She would hardly need one with an adjutant around.

Back
Top Bottom