The Nobel Prize 2013 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyFinn

Imperial Majesty
City
Southwest
Country
Finland
The Nobel Prize 2013 Laureates are

Physics: François Englert (Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium) and Peter W. Higgs (University of Edinburgh, UK) “for the theoretical discovery of a mechanism that contributes to our understanding of the origin of mass of subatomic particles, and which recently was confirmed through the discovery of the predicted fundamental particle, by the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN’s Large Hadron Collider”

Chemistry: Martin Karplus (Université de Strasbourg, France and Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA), Michael Levitt (Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA) and Arieh Warshel (University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA) “for the development of multiscale models for complex chemical systems”

Physiology or Medicine: James E. Rothman, Randy W. Schekman and Thomas C. Südhof (USA) “for their discoveries of machinery regulating vesicle traffic, a major transport system in our cells”

Literature: Alice Munro (Canada) “master of the contemporary short story”.

Economic Sciences: Eugene F. Fama (University of Chicago, IL, USA), Lars Peter Hansen (University of Chicago, IL, USA) and Robert J. Shiller (Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA) "for their empirical analysis of asset prices”.

The official website of the Nobel Prize
Nobelprize.org

HM King Carl XVI Gustaf presents the Prizes on Tuesday 10th December at the Stockholm Concert Hall at 16.30 Swedish time.
The Nobel Banquet takes place in the Blue Hall of the Stockholm City Hall at 19.00.
Participants: King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip

HM King Carl XVI Gustaf hosts the Royal Banquet Dinner at the Royal Palace on Wednesday 11th December at 19.30 Swedish time.
Participants: King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip

You can watch the prize ceremony live here:
Nobel 2013 Prisutdelningen SVT Play

And the banquet here:
Nobel 2013 Banketten SVT Play

At the website of the Nobel Prize is a live webcast during the week from various lectures and prize ceremony.

PR manager Annika Pontikis from the Nobel Foundation said to Expressen that they just have to make new placements for the Table of Honor, they are doing it on Sunday. The Table of Honor will be published on Monday at 14.00.
Victoria och Madeleine missar Nobelfesten Nyheter Expressen

Annika Pontikis from the Nobel Foundation said to Expressen that they have various choices to update and fill up the placements at the Table of Honor:
- They can move people from other tables to the Table of Honor
- New guests from the Swedish Academy, the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and The Nobel Assembly of the Karolinska Institute can be invited and placed to the Table of Honor
- They can shorten the Table, they have done it in other circumstances.
Så ska honnörsbordet fyllas på Nobelfesten Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
What an amazing group of laureates, these people have changed the world as we know it..

The new seating chart for the table of honour during the banquet tomorrow has been announced. Prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt will be replaced by deputy prime minister Jan Björklund. Crown Princess Victorias chair will be taken by Princess Christina Mrs Magnuson and Princess Madeleines chair will be taken by Mrs Lu Chen, wife of this years medicine laureate Mr Thomas C Südhof.

The chairs were Princess Christina Mrs Magnuson and Mrs Lu Chen originally would have been seated has been removed.

While I understand and agree with the reasons why Princess Madeleine and Crown Princess Victoria will not be in attendance I do have to say I am a little sad. :sad: It won't be the same.

Pictures from the Concert Hall shows that the Royal Family will be seated in two rows,as they have been for some years now. I think it looks ridiculous when they only are four people attending.

.... And it is the 9-Prong Tiara. But HM is looking very regal in her red dress with glittering applications on the shoulders
Bye Bine

Can anybody indentify the order to which the sash Peter Englund's wearing belongs?

Thanks in advance :)

Does anyone know why some men were running around naked?

It's really sad that Victoria is not attending. I would have loved to see her there.
Agree that all four should have been seated in one row, what is up with that? :huh:

Being seated in one row would give C-P and Daniel equal standing with the monarchs. Not going to happen and I agree with it. It's called protocol.

Being seated in one row would give C-P and Daniel equal standing with the monarchs. Not going to happen and I agree with it. It's called protocol.

Carl Philip and princess Lilian were many times at the same row with the king and queen, so I don't see the difference now. This arrangement today looked ridiculous.

For those who didn't see the prize ceremony, it can be seen here
Nobel 2013 Prisutdelningen SVT Play

Last edited:
Is tomorrows banquet going to have video coverage???

it usually doesn't but many photos will be published

Hopefully more photos than normally, there wasn't so many photos published last year.

Gallery from the ceremony
King Carl Gustaf XVI Pictures - Nobel Prize Awards Ceremony in Stockholm - Zimbio
Gallery from the banquet
Nobel Prize Banquet Held in Stockholm - Pictures - Zimbio

The dinner was shorter than in some years, only 3,5 hours. Now comes dance, the royals don't dance.

The royal family with Laureates
https://media.shootitlive.com/G6bWmTp0j3tzC3D6PdmhmJiPcGD/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1870
https://media.shootitlive.com/7j20IDyZxqOHtwqdmQNH515wDrQ/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1253
https://media.shootitlive.com/HpZ5R5ZI1AHNzU6GwCI5pVbqjeb/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1870
https://media.shootitlive.com/YETAtz7as06lSVrDbEnsX8cRE0J/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1870

Anitta Näsänen, who served at the Nobel banquet for the 20th time and 4th time for the king, told to Expressen that the king was satisfied with the dinner but he was worried that it took time before the food was served and that it would cool off.
Anitta Kungen tyckte att maten dröjde Nyheter Expressen

Prinsarna som inte fick gå med sina damer Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Kungafamiljen vid Nobelbanketten - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
Our belgian Nobel Francois Englebert (physics) was sitting on the right side of HM the Queen for the Gala Dinner. Great.

Still from last night, the First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/fot...6B146F4AD9FF77D8CAD4BED258588672315711&sz=800
The queen's lady in waiting Eva Hafström
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/fot...6B146F4AD9FF77D8CAD4BED258588672315711&sz=800
The Mistress of the Robes, countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister

So, less royal tiara wearers, but more pics of non-royal tiara wearers than usual :).

Thank you for posting these. I particularly like the tiara of Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister. It's a very nice floral design.

So, less royal tiara wearers, but more pics of non-royal tiara wearers than usual :).

Thank you for posting these. I particularly like the tiara of Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister. It's a very nice floral design.

Are these tiaras their personal property?

Back
Top Bottom