The Nobel Prize 2013 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really wonder if someone from the norwegian royal family will attend this year because of this year´s norwegian Nobel Prize laureats?
I remember dutch Willem Alexander and Félipe of Spain attending in the early 1990s, I think it was. But as far as I remember it wasn´t the actual ceremony, but the banquet at the palace one day later.

Taken from the information for the media, official programme for the Nobel Week:
Seated on the stage will be nearly 100 people. They are members of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, the Nobel Assembly of Karolinska Institutet and the Swedish Academy, members of the Board of Directors of the Nobel Foundation and previous Laureates.
In front of them will sit the 2014 Laureates and members of Sweden’s Royal Family: H.M. King Carl XVI Gustaf, H.M. Queen Silvia, H.R.H. Crown Princess Victoria and H.R.H. Prince Daniel.
H.R.H. Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist as well as H.R.H. Princess Madeleine and Christopher O’Neill will sit in the first row closest to the stage.
Press - Nobel Media

The king and queen sit on the first row on the stage and Victoria and Daniel behind them according to the seating plan.

SVT has a special website for the Nobels
Nobel SVT.se

The king and queen attended this evening at the Nobel Prize Concert at the Stockholm Concert Hall. Waiting for better photos.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4W2ZJZCUAAKTAQ.jpg

The Nobel Prize Concert is held to honour the year's Nobel Laureates, who attend with their respective parties. About the concert:
This Year´s Nobel Prize Concert Nobelprize.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Taken from the information for the media, official programme for the Nobel Week:
Seated on the stage will be nearly 100 people. They are members of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, the Nobel Assembly of Karolinska Institutet and the Swedish Academy, members of the Board of Directors of the Nobel Foundation and previous Laureates.
In front of them will sit the 2014 Laureates and members of Sweden’s Royal Family: H.M. King Carl XVI Gustaf, H.M. Queen Silvia, H.R.H. Crown Princess Victoria and H.R.H. Prince Daniel.
H.R.H. Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist as well as H.R.H. Princess Madeleine and Christopher O’Neill will sit in the first row closest to the stage.
Press - Nobel Media

The king and queen sit on the first row on the stage and Victoria and Daniel behind them according to the seating plan.

Actually i find it a good soultion that this year and probably also in the future only the reigning Couple and the Crown Princely Couple will seat on the stage. but i don't understand why the will not seat in one row.

I don't think this makes much sense, IMO all members of the Royal family should be seated on stage, or else only the king and Queen sit on stage and everyone else in the stalls, since it's only the king who serves a function in the event by handing out the prizes....it'll look bizarre having members of the Royal family spread all over

Last edited:
Actually i find it a good soultion that this year and probably also in the future only the reigning Couple and the Crown Princely Couple will seat on the stage. but i don't understand why the will not seat in one row.

I agree, it would be good if this would be permanent sitting order. And it is great that finally Daniel gets to sit beside his wife and not behind her. But they could sit at one row.

I guess they figure it'll be crowded on the stage to add two more chairs.

Imo it makes sense to focus on the monarchs and the crown princess couple on the stage. Eight people up there will probably be a bit crowed. Also it is in line with the current trend to stream-line the royal families of many European countries. We see minor royals slowly moving to the side-lines in many countries, while the focus lies on the monarchs and the heirs.
Also I imagine the Chris will be quite glad that he doesn’t have to sit on centre stage, as he chose to decline a title and not to become a member of the Royal House.

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed because I love seeing the family together up on the stage- but I realise I am being silly- this night is obviously to celebrate the recipients, and I guess we will be seeing less and less of CP and Madeleine.

We will have to remember that the members of the royal family are at the ceremony as honorary guests of the Nobel Foundation. So the Foundation can decide whom they invite and decide the sitting order.

We will have to remember that the members of the royal family are at the ceremony as honorary guests of the Nobel Foundation. So the Foundation can decide whom they invite and decide the sitting order.
On the other hand I believe that the Foundation and the RF cooperated closely together. When it comes to the Royal guests the Foundation will certainly discuss the details with the Royal House before the invitations are send out. The Nobel Foundation wouldn't make such a big decision without consulting with the King.

The Nobel Prize 2014

On the other hand I believe that the Foundation and the RF cooperated closely together. When it comes to the Royal guests the Foundation will certainly discuss the details with the Royal House before the invitations are send out. The Nobel Foundation wouldn't make such a big decision without consulting with the King.

I do think they discuss with the royal house but they may not. Remember they doesn't have to as the royal family ar "only" guests that night. The royal family must tell some months before the actual day who will come and who won't.

Imo it makes sense to focus on the monarchs and the crown princess couple on the stage. Eight people up there will probably be a bit crowed. Also it is in line with the current trend to stream-line the royal families of many European countries. We see minor royals slowly moving to the side-lines in many countries, while the focus lies on the monarchs and the heirs.
Also I imagine the Chris will be quite glad that he doesn’t have to sit on centre stage, as he chose to decline a title and not to become a member of the Royal House.

Since CP and Madeleine always sat on the stage, they have been definitely "downgraded". I don't think that was the King's intention though. I suspect the Royal Court didn't agree to Chris and Sofia being on the stage whereas Madeleine and CP insisted they wouldn't be on the stage without their significant others.

Yes the Royal Family is not only guests, and the Royals are a very important part of the events.

I remember from one of the shows with Året med Kungafamiljen that the King was not satisfied with the tempo or speed of the procession at the beginning of the Banquet. I think that they very much do as the Court or the King want and that nothing is decided without an opinion from the Court.

There will not be any attendance from the Norwegian Royal Family during the events in Stockholm 10-11 of December, not if you look at the website if Norwegian Royal Court. I guess this was no big surprise, they are busy with their events in Norway.

The table of honor for tomorrows banquet has been released.

Press - Nobel Media

Yes, and in 2009 Jonas was put to sit at the end of the table, but now Sofia sits beside Carl Philip in the middle of the table. She has got the speaker of the Parliament on the other side. Chris sits opposite them.

I can't understand very much... So where are CP, Sofia, Madde and Chris seated?

Last edited:
There will not be any attendance from the Norwegian Royal Family during the events in Stockholm 10-11 of December, not if you look at the website if Norwegian Royal Court. I guess this was no big surprise, they are busy with their events in Norway.

No, it´s not a surprise. But I do think there are enough members of the NRF present in Oslo while one of them could have flown to Stockholm (The King and Queen, of course, as most important members staying in Norway).
I think it would have been a fitting sign of respect towards the achievements of the norwegian Nobel laureats! A bit disappointing, though.

No, it´s not a surprise. But I do think there are enough members of the NRF present in Oslo while one of them could have flown to Stockholm (The King and Queen, of course, as most important members staying in Norway).
I think it would have been a fitting sign of respect towards the achievements of the norwegian Nobel laureats! A bit disappointing, though.

I totally agree with you. Who knows when a Norwegian wins a Nobel prize again? Princess Märtha Louise could have attended in Stockholm. I think a member from the Norwegian Royal Family would have been very much appreciated by the Norwegian Nobel laureates.

Yes, and in 2009 Jonas was put to sit at the end of the table, but now Sofia sits beside Carl Philip in the middle of the table. She has got the speaker of the Parliament on the other side. Chris sits opposite them.

It makes sense to me, as an engaged couple usually are seated next to each other. I would rather say that Jonas got a very odd place at the table in 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
Click "Download document" and you see the whole Table of Honor.

"Like this Sofia sits at the Nobel fest". It is always about Sofia, not about Chris, although this is his debute too.
Så ska Sofia sitta under Nobelfesten Nyheter Expressen
Translation

I can understand why. Sofia will stay in Sweden and become a working member of the Royal Family. Chris declined being part of the family and went back to New York instead. That decision may even cost his daughther her birth right to be in the line of succession. I see no reason for Swedes to warm up to Chris, irrespective of his being a nice person or not.

Off topic: I don't think Chris'd decision not to be a royal member is something bad...

Are there any photos from the concert last evening?

Are there any photos from the concert last evening?

I haven't seen any. Let's hope the court puts a couple to their website soon. No photos at the Nobel website and not at the photo agencies yet.

Off topic: I don't think Chris'd decision not to be a royal member is something bad...

I didn't say it was bad, or wrong for that matter. I just implied that, since Chris is not a member of the royal family, doesn't live in Sweden, and didn't even bother to learn the Swedish language, it is understandable that Swedes don't care too much about him.

I don't have the impression Swedes don't care much about him...They don't care much about Sofia for that matter too... (As several swedish posters have said here)

I don't have a problem with Chris, but I can't say that he's my favourite either. I respect that he wanted to support himself and continue with his business, and declined a title. Good for him. But he's married to a Swedish princess. He speaks both german and English. Why don't make an effort to learn Swedish as well? I think that speaking Swedish would help his image. A lot.

However, when it comes to things like the Nobel prize dinner, this isn't a problem. There are so many english and german speaking guest that Chris can be seated with. I'm also quite sure that he's well educated in the art of making conversation, so he's not a problem at all for those who are planning the seating - quite the opposite.

Completely agree with you on that, he is more a free man then a man restricted by the rules of others who would be telling him how to live his life. And I bet this does not bother him in the least as he seems very comfortable in being who he is and he can just go and do his own thing in life....:flowers::)

The Nobel Prize 2014

I don't have a problem with Chris, but I can't say that he's my favourite either. I respect that he wanted to support himself and continue with his business, and declined a title. Good for him. But he's married to a Swedish princess. He speaks both german and English. Why don't make an effort to learn Swedish as well? I think that speaking Swedish would help his image. A lot.

However, when it comes to things like the Nobel prize dinner, this isn't a problem. There are so many english and german speaking guest that Chris can be seated with. I'm also quite sure that he's well educated in the art of making conversation, so he's not a problem at all for those who are planning the seating - quite the opposite.

In the infamous "Tihi" video the pair posted on the courts homepage at the time of their engagement Chris said "I'm learning swedish but it's hard" so at least at the time he tried to learn it. He had a good accent when saying it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

In the infamous "Tihi" video the pair posted on the courts homepage at the time of their engagement Chris said "I'm learning swedish but it's hard" so at least at the time he tried to learn it. He had a good accent when saying it.

That video was posted more than two years ago. As far as I know, no one has heard him speak a word in Swedish since that. I would be happy if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's taking Swedish lessons or trying to learn Swedish in any other way.

But, as this is the Nobel thread, it sure isn't a problem when it comes to Nobel. He fits in perfectly here.

Back
Top Bottom