The Nobel Prize 2013 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if a Dutch laureate means that we'll see Dutch Royals in Stockholm on 10th December?
There is a chance, I daresay. It would certainly be very nice to see some international Royals at the Nobels once again.

I wonder if a Dutch laureate means that we'll see Dutch Royals in Stockholm on 10th December?

It's definitely a possibility. We've seen Danish, Spanish, and Luxembourg royals attend previously. Hopefully we'll see Japanese and Dutch royals attend.

It's definitely a possibility. We've seen Danish, Spanish, and Luxembourg royals attend previously. Hopefully we'll see Japanese and Dutch royals attend.

However we see Japanese laureates almost every year, and we have never seen any from the Imperial Family attend so far.

However we see Japanese laureates almost every year, and we have never seen any from the Imperial Family attend so far.

That's true. which I find interesting because Princess Takamado seems to have a good relationship with the Swedish Royals (I know they're not the ones who invite people). I wonder how the invitations work. Can people just write and say they want to attend? Does the Prize handle who gets asked?

So, more likely we'll see a Dutch Royal as opposed to a Japanese Royal (even if I still hold out hope, lol)

One has to follow the protocol. Laureates attend with their spouses/partners. Royals are not meant to be in attendance. What is the reason for the royals to attend the Nobel ceremony?

Last edited:
That's true. which I find interesting because Princess Takamado seems to have a good relationship with the Swedish Royals (I know they're not the ones who invite people). I wonder how the invitations work. Can people just write and say they want to attend? Does the Prize handle who gets asked?

So, more likely we'll see a Dutch Royal as opposed to a Japanese Royal (even if I still hold out hope, lol)

It is the Nobel Foundation that invites to the ceremony and the banquet. To a great extant they invite the official Sweden. But they have never invited the Sweden Democrats, the Nobel Foundations is of the opinon that their values in contradiction with the values of the will of Alfred Nobel. It was great fuzz about this in Sweden in 2010 as it that the first year the Sweden Democrats was in the Parliament, and all other Party leaders are invited to attend.

The Royal Family are guests of the Nobel Foundation, but I think that the GD of Luxembourg were invited on the request of the King.

Each laureate are allowed to bring several guests to Stockholm, I don't know the exact figure, but it is quite many.

They also invite officials from the native countries of the laureates. Eg. I remember that the German minister of the exterior attended the Nobels the last time there was a German literature laureate. So it makes sense to expect some invitees from the Netherlands, but they might be a minister or something, not necessarily the King and Queen.

One has to follow the protocol. Laureates attend with their spouses/partners. Royals are not meant to be in attendance. What is the reason for the royals to attend the Nobel ceremony?

?? To represent their country in the support of a citizen winning the Nobel Prize? What's the reason for anyone to attend the ceremony? What on earth do you mean Royals are not meant to be in attendance? Besides the Swedish family attending, we've seen, as I mentioned, Spanish, Danish, and Luxembourg royals attend.

It's quite a while until the Nobel Day, 10th December, but this week some of the Nobel laureates have been presented.

To date:
Nobel Prize in Physics
Awarded to David J. Thouless (1/2 share of the prize), United Kingdom, F. Duncan M. Haldane (1/4 share), United Kingdom and J. Michael Kosterlitz (1/4 share), United Kingdom

"for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter".

Nobel Prize in Chemistry
Awarded to Jean-Pierre Sauvage, France, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart, USA and to Bernard L. Feringa, the Netherlands (all 1/3 share of the prize)

"for the design and synthesis of molecular machines".

Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology
Awarded to Yoshinori Ohsumi, Japan

"for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy"

Nobel Peace Prize
Awarded to Juan Manuel Santos, President of Colombia

"for his resolute efforts to bring the country's more than 50-year-long civil war to an end".

Nobel Prize in Literature
To be announced: Thursday 13 October, 1 pm CET (at the earliest)

The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in memory of Alfred Nobel
To be announced: Monday 10 October, 11:45 am CET (at the earliest)

Awarded to Oliver Hart, UK (1/2 share) and Bengt Holmström, Finland (1/2 share)

"for their contributions to contract theory"

It's quite a while until the Nobel Day, 10th December, but this week some of the Nobel laureates have been presented.

To date:
Nobel Prize in Physics
Awarded to David J. Thouless (1/2 share of the prize), United Kingdom, F. Duncan M. Haldane (1/4 share), United Kingdom and J. Michael Kosterlitz (1/4 share), United Kingdom

"for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter".

Nobel Prize in Chemistry
Awarded to Jean-Pierre Sauvage, France, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart, USA and to Bernard L. Feringa, the Netherlands (all 1/3 share of the prize)

"for the design and synthesis of molecular machines".

Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology
Awarded to Yoshinori Ohsumi, Japan

"for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy"

Nobel Peace Prize
Awarded to Juan Manuel Santos, President of Colombia

"for his resolute efforts to bring the country's more than 50-year-long civil war to an end".

To be announced: Thursday 13 October, 1 pm CET (at the earliest)

To be announced: Monday 10 October, 11:45 am CET (at the earliest)

Awarded to: Bob Dylan, USA

“for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition”.

Bob Dylan got the litterature prize :) That was really unexpected, at least here in Sweden. But i like it. And i think that choice can make more people interested over all in the Nobel Prize.

It would be nice to see foreign royals there, or maybe
President Obama och Vice President Biden will be invited because of Bob Dylan.

Last edited:

“for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition”.

Now this has to be one of the best coinky dinks that I've come across in a very long time.

Within this week, Bob Dylan is announced as winning a Nobel Prize in Literature. Sir Rod Stewart was knighted by the Duke of Cambridge a few days ago.

One of my all time favorite songs performed by Rod Stewart is "Forever Young" which, incidentally, was written by Bob Dylan.

I love it when stuff like this happens. :D

It is odd to see Bob Dylan as Nobel Prize Laureate. The committee did not award the prize to Murakami, but gave it to a howling songwriter.

With each passing year, the Nobel Prize in the literature and peace categories becomes more ridiculous.

Last edited:
I am unabashedly happy for Dylan. His body of work has been a support all my life. His phrasing is unique. His topicality has never failed. I even like his voice. ;)
You may have heard we are having some alpha male moments in US culture just right now.
Well, my very favorite NON alpha male moment is the duet of Buckets of Rain Dylan sang with Bette Middler (1975, but still very listenable) It always makes me giggle and always gives me hope. Not that she is the aggressor, but that he so clearly IS NOT.
https://youtu.be/mZD_PmB3v2M

I have to disagree with you on this one Al_bina. One thing that has always and probably always will reflect on people and their times and the societies that they live in is music and song. Looking at our world today with the innovations and advanced technologies we have, sitting and reading a book is going into a rapid decline of what people do for entertainment and for information they seek.

Personally, I'm a bookaholic and and most happy sitting with the physical book in my hands reading. I'm one of a dying breed and I don't think I would be amiss to state that probably a big percentage of the children and young adults these days do not enjoy books like I do.

Music and song reaches everyone and to combine lyrics (poetry) with music (harmonics) to compliment the lyrics and accentuate them is an art form.

Bob Dylan wrote wonderful lyrics that reached a lot of people. I'd go as far as to equate that with writing poetry. They're both literature that endures.

Last edited:
Bob Dylan got the litterature prize :) That was really unexpected, at least here in Sweden. But i like it. And i think that choice can make more people interested over all in the Nobel Prize.

It would be nice to see foreign royals there, or maybe
President Obama och Vice President Biden will be invited because of Bob Dylan.

It wasn't a big surprise for the largest finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat, it wrote about giving the Nobel Prize to Bob Dylan already 3 days ago "The historic decision would be a victory of PR to the Swedish Academy. It would shift the Academy to the time of electricity in the same manner as Bob Dylan brought electricity to Folk music in Newport at the end of July 1965. The decision would give the first Nobel Prize ever to rock lyrics and make it finally courtly at the literary circles".
Adonis, Dylan, Oates vai Thiong’o_ Veikkaukset kirjallisuuden Nobelin saajasta kiihtyvät _ Kirjallisuus _ HS

King Carl Gustaf delivering the Polar Music Prize to Bob Dylan in 2000
https://www.flickr.com/photos/polarmusicprize/5664032132/in/album-72157626472631807/

Last edited:
I'm wondering if he'll accept the prize in person and perhaps use one of his own quotes at the time. "I'm mortified to be on the stage, but then again, it's the only place where I'm happy."

Just musing.

I'm wondering if he'll accept the prize in person and perhaps use one of his own quotes at the time. "I'm mortified to be on the stage, but then again, it's the only place where I'm happy."

Just musing.

considering he's apparently been ignoring their phone calls, it doesn't sound like he'll attend. lol

I hope this can become good lesson to these gentlemen who choose the prizes!

And the lesson would be?
Dylan is notoriously shy about stuff that most of us would think is very natural. It's phobic in its proportions. And he's equally notorious for saying things that, taken out of context, sound arrogant. Whereas, he's just not adept at saying the right thing. Which is completely consistent with his lyrics, BTW.
He is a complete mess at PR. Always has been. Does not play the game. Has tragic manners. But his work succeeds despite all that.
I hear you saying the awards should be given on merit of people's PR skills, rather than their contributions to the arts, sciences and world development. Sorry, but I completely disagree.
And are there no women on the selection committees?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom