The Haga Princesses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who is the man in the left on the back ?

On the right I can see Pr. Bertil.
I think it's prince Wilhelm, duke of Södermanland. He was the younger brother of king Gustav VI Adolf and the father of Lennart Bernadotte of Mainau. He was the only royal prince in the early 1960:ies beside prince Bertil and crown prince Carl Gustav. The photo is from before 1965, as both queen Louise and prince Wilhelm died that year.

Margaretha and Birgitta yesterday. In a way it is hard to believe that they are sisters, they are so different kind of people.
https://instagram.com/p/35s-gbomCD/?taken-by=anderspihlblad

And Margaretha is the older sister of the two, right? For me it goes to show what sundamage can do to your skin... (btw I think Margaretha looked great yesterday, loved the colouring she chose for her dress and jewelry)

I thought it was fun to see that the four sisters entered together, they reminded me of my own aunts (just with more diamonds and fancy dresses :lol:), they look like they are close, even though probably with some sisterly bickering now and then :lol:

Why they are called Haga? So little is known of the four sisters.

And Margaretha is the older sister of the two, right?
Yes, Princess Margaretha is the older of the two (of all actually), being born in 1934. Birgitta is three years younger than her (then there are Desirée, born in 1938, and Christina, born in 1943).

Why they are called Haga? So little is known of the four sisters.

Because they grew up to the Haga Palace now home to Victoria.

Yes the four older sisters to King.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these the king's sisters?

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous ladies, but i have to admit that unlike those of Desiree, i wouldn't have guessed the photos of Birgitta were her...she's changed so much with age...

I like these 4 sisters. They never miss an important swedish royal family Event.

Expressen's royal commentator Karin Lennmor has written a nice chronicle about Haga princesses.
The Haga princesses have a heritage to convey further
You have to do things while there still is time. One day it may be too late ...
It was also possibly about that with Crown Princess Victoria's insistent wish for her 40th birthday. She wanted to gather the family, the four aunts in particular. Perhaps one last time?
- It was a cautious wish I had to gather them all at Solliden, said Victoria to Expressen.
And Margaretha, 82, Birgitta, 80, Désirée, 79, and Christina, 73, heard Victoria's will. They came. Not only for the celebration at Solliden, but also to the Royal Chapel.
- It's incredible, they live in different places and have their own lives. Getting a family together that way requires an effort and they were willing to do it for this day - so it feels great, Victoria said with a big smile.
The Haga Princesses aren't often seen now, Birgitta lives mostly in Mallorca and Margaretha in London. Sometimes - if some of them are in Stockholm privately - you can see them lunch together in Östermalmshallen. It's a happy sister group laughing and kidding together.
Despite the geographical distances, the siblings are obviously very close. It became automatically for the sisters when their father Prince Gustaf Adolf was so tragically killed in an air accident in January 1947.
Three of them are widows nowadays. Funerals are a sad way to meet, but it is precisely those gatherings they meet today. On the other hand, all Haga princesses haven't been present at happy events, such as christenings. Everyone of course attended when Princess Estelle was baptized, but they didn't gather together either at Oscar's or Nicolas baptism.
Perhaps one must respect this, especially when it comes to age and health reasons. Princess Christina suffered from breast cancer in 2010. She has also had blood cancer and in March, she underwent stem cell transplantation. She and her family have been very open about the disease, perhaps in support for others.
Obviously, age affects also for the Haga princesses. Princess Margaretha has a problem with her legs and sometimes walks a bit shaky.
But back to the Crown Princess's choice to bid all her aunts on her birthday. I think it's a moving action, so typically Victoria.
And it was nice! They met in the Chapel, had a family lunch at Stockholm Palace ... and they came to Solliden. It must have been fun for them to be together at their childhood summer paradise, brought many memories and laughter. None of them were on Solliden's gravel during Saturday's congratulations. But I saw them in one of the Palace windows, curiously looking behind the curtains of the people and the festivities.
The Crown Princess received many gifts. But a gift from an unknown person in the crowd got a little extra. Victoria received an old photo album with photos from Solliden, from the Palace's building in 1906 and through the years. It was felt how happy the crown princess was over the gift.
- Oh big thanks! This is so enjoyable and especially as my aunts are here. This album we will look at tonight!
They certainly did that after family dinner.
To keep the old generation with as long as possible, the next to hear memories and stories from the old ones - that's what the Crown Princess is doing right now. Soon it's too late ...
The Haga princesses - and also the king - have a memorial heritage to pass on. This is important in all families, not just in the royal family.
Karin Lennmor_ Hagasessorna har ett minnesarv att förmedla vidare _ Karin Lennmor _ Expressen

Last edited:
That was a nice article, indeed. :flowers:

In such the same fabric but the styles are quite different.

I have never been one for the matching kids look. Unless twins and even then only limited.

Photo at Solliden Palace Facebook
We go back to the summer of 1949 where we find Crown Prince Carl Gustaf and his sisters on the Kalmarsund ferry on the way to Öland and Solliden
The photograph comes from Borgholms Municipality's image archive and is part of the exhibition 'Royal Summers' which will be shown at Solliden also during the 2021 season.
https://www.facebook.com/Sollidenss...2207520000../1775341125965095/?type=3&theater

Back
Top Bottom