The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 AM
maidmarion's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: personal, Canada
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lox
Carl Philip would be just as good, if not better. Remember that Victoria used to have an eating disorder. What does that say about her mental health?
Comments like these truly are not necesary. The same can be said IF (supposing) that Carl had some kind of mental illness or some addiction.
What would that say about anything? This is very personal issue which has no bearing whatsoever on her ability to reign. The mere fact that she has overcome this situation can be attributed to her will and determination. If Carl were to be in the same boat, would this apply to him also?

We've had many rulers and polititians who've suffered from certain disorders which the public was not aware of and went on to rule solidly. After the death of her beloved Prince Albert, Queen Victoria came back from her mild depression to rule supreme.

MM
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11-30-2006, 09:47 AM
maidmarion's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: personal, Canada
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita
Crown Princess Victoria had a mental health problem, so what? It's estimated in Britain that 1 in 5 adults will at some point have a mental health problem some point during their life. Just because she had an eating disorder does not make her unfit to be queen. If anything she has become stronger and her struggles have made her compassionate to others struggles and problems which she ha clearly shown on many official public engagments.

I think Crown Princess Victoria will do an excellent job if she inherits the throne one day.
Here, Here Gita !! I agree. Thank You

MM
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Lox's Avatar
Lox Lox is offline
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: -, Sweden
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
Carl Philip is very shy, dyslexic and so on. wouldnt that disqualify him then?
Victoria also has problems with dyslexia. And I wouldn't say that Carl Philip is a very shy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidmarion
What would that say about anything? This is very personal issue which has no bearing whatsoever on her ability to reign. The mere fact that she has overcome this situation can be attributed to her will and determination. If Carl were to be in the same boat, would this apply to him also?
Is it really possible to (mentally) beat anorexia, or for that matter, any mental illness? You can suppress it, but you can't get rid of it. What if Victoria would have these problems again when she becomes Queen? Will she be able to fulfill her duties when she basically is a walking skeleton?

And yes, this would apply to Carl Philip to.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-30-2006, 06:41 PM
ZandraRae's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 570
Lox, I truly believe that Victoria will never become a skeleton, except for when she dies. I think she realizes how important it is for her to maintain good health. If I remember correctly wasn't this like 10 years ago? If she hasn't had a relapse in this amount of time, I doubt she will, period.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,407
I have to agree, that Victoria's eating disorders don't have to mean she will be unfit to reign one day. I truely believe she will be a good queen. However, I still think they were wrong to change the succession, because I also believe Carl Philip could have become a good king.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-01-2006, 08:57 AM
ZandraRae's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 570
Yes, Furienna, but in the long wrong, Victoria is the firstborn, therefore she deserves the throne. I do hope that they will change Spain's act of succession also. Leonor deserves her chance also.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Daneborn's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
Victoria is our Crown Princess. What do you base your statement on that most Swedes would prefer Carl Philip? I agree that the completely illogical way the change happened could only be created by a bunch of politicians. However, Victoria is in line to be our Queen and I believe most Swedes are very happy about that.
I agree, Grevinnan.

Lox, why do you say a lot of Swedes would prefer Carl Philip as the heir?

I have never heard anybody before you express something like that.

Can you present any evidence of this, like a public poll, or an organisation working for his ''rights''?

If this was an issue I'm pretty confident the tabloids wouldn't waste one second penetrating the subject. (Which they, to my knowledge, never do.)

I think you should limit your statement to 'I for one would prefer Carl Philip' instead of 'a lot of Swedes'.
__________________
''A day without a laughter is a day wasted'' // Anna-Lisa
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Lena's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mandø, Denmark
Posts: 3,884
Well, there are surely some ppl, who would prefer Carl Philip, but as it seems Victoria enjoys enormous popularity. Not just because of her "charisma", but also because she has been in this position for about 30 years. I guess most ppl got used to her and don´t wanna miss her in this position. It maybe would have been harder, if the law would have been changed only 10-15 years ago (that´s why I hope, that they hurry in Spain or simply make a decision at all)
And women surely are not worse...and often extremely popular as the cases of Elizabeth, Margrethe and Beatrix show. But I must also admit, that as a crown princess (queen), I would wish for a boy as first born. Out of a feministic point of view a woman on the throne is of course fantastic and as I´ve said, they don´t need to be less popular than men, but no one can say me, that it´s easy to find a husband in this position! Not many men want to take a back seat. And now you can say, that this is just a matter of education and attitude...and maybe it is...but as long as the women, who shout out loud "Girl power...women to the throne" just pay attention to the crown princesses (and their bling bling and charities...) and not to prince consorts this attitude (not wanting to take the back seat) won´t change.

Of course it´s said one is never fully cured of eating disorders...but Victoria´s illness was treated at an relatively early point. She pushed her therapy through in a straight way (didn´t cancel therapies, hadn´t many hospital stays, didn´t seem to have relapses...) so that I guess, she can be considered as healthy and not endangered. For my taste she is a little too much into health food and sports these days, but this is just the statement of a lazy couch potatoe...and if this would mean, she is still ill, maaany women would be eating disordered as well...
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandraRae
Yes, Furienna, but in the long wrong, Victoria is the firstborn, therefore she deserves the throne. I do hope that they will change Spain's act of succession also. Leonor deserves her chance also.
I have nothing against Victoria, but the only thing, that makes her deserve the throne, is that she's been raised to become a queen at least she was three years old, and we can't change it now. I think Carl Philip deserves it just as much.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Lox's Avatar
Lox Lox is offline
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: -, Sweden
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn
Lox, why do you say a lot of Swedes would prefer Carl Philip as the heir?

I have never heard anybody before you express something like that.
Well, as I previously wrote, this is my personal experience from discussions with friends, co-workers etc. The feeling I get is that people who know that Carl Philip was a crown prince for some time, tend to think that it was wrong to take that away from him.

And let's not forget that the King prefer Carl Philip as crown prince.
An article (in Swedish):http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...395638,00.html
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 12-01-2006, 06:32 PM
GrandDuchess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somwhere, Sweden
Posts: 3,403
I have never, in my entire life so far, heard anyone even suggest the idea that Prince Carl Philip would make a better monarch that Crown Princess Victoria. The people love Victoria, she is immensely popular and people truly admire her for her work and her serious attitude towards her position and her fields of interests, and I would say that she herself has helped to strengthen the Swedish monarchy even more by being the heir, just like Silvia did when she became our Queen.

To raise the issue of Victoria's former health problems, not to mention dyslexia, as some kind of argument for her not being fit to be a monarch - now that is way off line and frankly mean and rude!

What kind of attitude is this towards people who are not 100% normal (and who is "normal" anyway?)? Today all of us have some kind of problems, mental or otherwise.

Victoria has been very open about her dyslexia and has helped many kids and grown ups to come to terms with their syndrome, which does not affect them and their ability to lead a normal life by the way - it just means that hey have reading and writing difficulties- their intelligence is at the same level as everyone else’s. Both Victoria and Carl Philip are dyslectic, so what? Does that mean they are less capable? Of course not!

I'm happy that we have such a wonderful heir to the throne, and it's my personal belief and opinion that Carl Philip is quite happy to "only" be a prince and quite a anonymous one, being able to lead quite a normal life. As many have said, he is quite shy and isn't as open, spontaneous and relaxed as Victoria in official contexts. Of course this might also have to do with the fact that Victoria has been raised to become the monarch one day, but I also believe some of it is rooted in their personalities.

Victoria is the firstborn, for me that says it all. She is the natural heir to the throne. Gender is to me not an argument in capability or ability in any way.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 12-01-2006, 10:49 PM
ZandraRae's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 570
Way to go GrandDuchess! I agree with you completely. Victoria is the rightful heir to the Swedish throne. Who can define "normal" anyway? While one person may see something as "normal", another may not. Personally, I don't think Carl Phillip would like to be Crown Prince anyways. I think he has other things on his mind rather than trying to run a country.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Next Star's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 838
I am happy that Victoria is the heir to the throne because the line of succession is base on age and not on the sex of the child.She went from not having a place in line to the throne and now she is first in line for the throne.
I feel that the first born should be heir period rather their a boy or girl in this case Victoria is older than Carl Philip and that is why? She is the heir and he is not.
__________________
Patience is a virtue.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,810
Let's try to stay on topic which is supposed to be a discussion on the actual Act of Succession.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 PM
maidmarion's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: personal, Canada
Posts: 93
I believe that the "Act of Succession" that has transpired in Sweden is a fabulous example of what the monarchy stands for today. We have talked and discussed in many previous posts about how much the monarchy has evolved and changed to reflect todays societies while still maintaining it's connections with the past. We love our monarchies no doubt about it or we wouldn't be on this site.

Perhaps the time has now arrived in which this standard should be upheld for all reigning and non-reigning monarchies. This would allow the "first born" to succeed regardless of gender. Some people refer respectfully about their monarchy as something they cherish to be "OF THEM" or representative of themselves. For them to refect us would mean to change for we are not the same societies we were before the equality movement or even 20 years for that matter!

Birthright, can be a very deep and personal subject for the modern monarchies of today. We look to them as an opportunity to relate to all of us and the societies they reign over. Perhaps the time has come for them to do so aswell. Ask the people, change can be good and I truly believe that Victoria will prove all her critics wrong. Progress can be and is good. The Act of Succession was changed and passed before the children were born anyway. We must think positive and move forward.

Thanks for listening,
MM
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12-04-2006, 08:59 PM
avrilo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mexico city, Mexico
Posts: 680
I really dont understand this Act of Sucession change, for me is equally discriminatory to chose one to be King or Queen just because the order of birth as it is gender.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 12-05-2006, 01:02 AM
soCal girl's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Irvine, United States
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by avrilo
I really dont understand this Act of Sucession change, for me is equally discriminatory to chose one to be King or Queen just because the order of birth as it is gender.
True, either way it's unfair. However, there is no way to choose an heir fairly. The fairest way is by birth order. Carl Philip and Madeleine seem to have no problem with their big sis being Queen. I think both view it as having the best of both worlds. All the privilege and status without the pressure of becoming a future monarch. Sure, they have some official responsibilities now and then but I'm sure the perks such as, private Gucci shopping visits, entrance into the best clubs/restaurants, and traveling the world outweigh the downsides. The Swedes seem to be happy with their future Queen and that's all that matters. At first it seemed a little unfair to me that Carl Philip be "down-graded" to just a Prince but it seems like everything worked out in the end.
__________________
사랑
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 AM
Next Star's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
Let's try to stay on topic which is supposed to be a discussion on the actual Act of Succession.
Okay! The actual change of law that deals with the line of succession gives the oldest child regardless of sex to be heir to the throne insteading going by sex like the prevoius law. Carl-Philp was the only person in to the line before the law was changed.Making this law change allowed his two sisters to be in the line of succession when they had no places at all. This is showing how an Heir-Apparent can be removed. Sorry Zonk!
__________________
Patience is a virtue.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:35 AM
maidmarion's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: personal, Canada
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
Okay! The actual change of law that deals with the line of succession gives the oldest child regardless of sex to be heir to the throne insteading going by sex like the prevoius law. Carl-Philp was the only person in to the line before the law was changed.Making this law change allowed his two sisters to be in the line of succession when they had no places at all. This is showing how an Heir-Apparent can be removed. Sorry Zonk!
I think what Zonk was trying to imply was that we were straying off topic. Thanks for the insight NextStar.

MM
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Next Star's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidmarion
I think what Zonk was trying to imply was that we were straying off topic. Thanks for the insight NextStar.

MM
I said a little bit about the law being changed Victoria had no place at all than become first in line to the throne.That was the only thing I said about the law. I admit it looks more like a opinion than a actual law change. And your welcome maidmarion
__________________

__________________
Patience is a virtue.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carl gustav, constitution, constitutional change, crown princess victoria, king carl xvi gustav, prince carl philip, succession, sweden


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Would You Change? Lena Royal Chit Chat 21 01-11-2015 07:09 PM
When did your opinion of Diana change and why? ysbel Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 1113 06-05-2011 11:20 PM
Change of name of our community to TRF... Andy R Forum Announcements and Admin 2 08-29-2004 04:29 PM




Popular Tags
abdication anastasia 2020 bridal gown british brownbitcoinqueen canada chittagong cht clarence house coronavirus crown princess victoria danish royalty diana princess of wales dna dubai dutch dutch royal family earl of snowdon emperor facts fantasy movie general news thread hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hill historical drama house of glucksburg intro italian royal family jewellery jumma kent king salman languages list of rulers luxembourg mail mary: crown princess of denmark monaco history nepalese royal jewels nobel 2019 northern ireland norway norwegian royal family palestine prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess laurentien princess of orange queen mathilde random facts rown royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding royal wedding gown saudi arabia serbian royal family settings sweden thailand thai royal family tips tracts uae customs united kingdom united states of america working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×