Swedish State Visits: General Discussion and Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But Albert and Paola already visted one year after the came to the throne. for Beatrix it was seven years later and also Spain was four years after the came to the throne.

Of course you are right Stefan. I made a quite badly generalization. This means that the first new King already could have been on a visit to Sweden if they would have done as in the past.

The question is how likely it is with an incoming state visit from a fellow monarch the same year as the Kings 70th birthday?

Of course you are right Stefan. I made a quite badly generalization. This means that the first new King already could have been on a visit to Sweden if they would have done as in the past.

The question is how likely it is with an incoming state visit from a fellow monarch the same year as the Kings 70th birthday?

Will probably depend on how big the birthday will be celebrated. What incoming State Visits took place in 2006? And i think in the autumn it could be well the case. Look to Denmark. There the new dutch Royal Couple will pay a State Visit to Denmark only cvery short before the 75th birthday celebrations of Queen Margrethe.
My guess is that it was simply a coincidence the the belgian State Visit in 1994 took place already one year after Albert and Paola came to the throne. Henri and Maria Teresa visted Swdeden in 2008 or 2007 also some year after the came to the Throne.
We will have to wait and see who from the new Royal Couples comes first.

I don't think that the Dutch will pay another SV to a monarchy this year, since they already visit Denmark this month. So maybe in a year or two?

The Spanish government seems to be very focused on their ties to South American countries. Therefore I don't see them visit in Sweden in hurry either.

And Belgium seems to have ongoing issues with forming governments. Do they have one at the moment? Without a government there is noone to organize State Visits, so a Belgium visit is also not likely at the moment.

And Belgium seems to have ongoing issues with forming governments. Do they have one at the moment? Without a government there is noone to organize State Visits, so a Belgium visit is also not likely at the moment.

Actuially the goverment formation in Belgium last year went better then expected and the have since the End of last year a goverment. The belgian Royal Couple will make a State Visit to China in June

Will probably depend on how big the birthday will be celebrated. What incoming State Visits took place in 2006? And i think in the autumn it could be well the case. Look to Denmark. There the new dutch Royal Couple will pay a State Visit to Denmark only cvery short before the 75th birthday celebrations of Queen Margrethe.
My guess is that it was simply a coincidence the the belgian State Visit in 1994 took place already one year after Albert and Paola came to the throne. Henri and Maria Teresa visted Swdeden in 2008 or 2007 also some year after the came to the Throne.
We will have to wait and see who from the new Royal Couples comes first.

In both 1996 and 2006 there was only one incoming respectively (Hungary and Botswana) but some outgoing visits instead. Probably no major incoming state visits during next year, but as you said, we have to wait and see.

We shall remember that the RC paid an official visit to the Netherlands last year and a state visit as late as in 2009.

In both 1996 and 2006 there was only one incoming respectively (Hungary and Botswana) but some outgoing visits instead. Probably no major incoming state visits during next year, but as you said, we have to wait and see.

We shall remember that the RC paid an official visit to the Netherlands last year and a state visit as late as in 2009.

Hence why i don't expect W-A and Maxima will pay a state visit to Sweden anytime soon. And it's not very long since Albert and Paola was here and C-G and Silvia did their return visit.

But i won't be surprised if an incoming state visit from Spain will be announced during next year or even earlier.

The dream would ofcourse be an outgoing state visit to UK during the fall but has a monarch ever made 2 state visits to QEII 2 ?

Last edited:
Hence why i don't expect W-A and Maxima will pay a state visit to Sweden anytime soon. And it's not very long since Albert and Paola was here and C-G and Silvia did their return visit.

But i won't be surprised if an incoming state visit from Spain will be announced during next year or even earlier.

The dream would ofcourse be an outgoing state visit to UK during the fall but has a monarch ever made 2 state visits to QEII 2 ?

We'll have to wait and see! Hopefully it won't be long until we have a monarch on a state visit in Sweden.

Yes, Queen Margrethe has paid to state visits to QEII (1974 and 2000) and the latter is not mentioned as an official visit.

We'll have to wait and see! Hopefully it won't be long until we have a monarch on a state visit in Sweden.

Yes, Queen Margrethe has paid to state visits to QEII (1974 and 2000) and the latter is not mentioned as an official visit.

King Olav made alson an State Visit to the UK in the late 1980's. I'm prety sure that this was not his first State Visit to the UK- And King Harald paid on State Visit to the UK in the 1990's and the official Visit in 2005 who was a State Visit all but in name.
Queen Margrethe has also paid two State Visits to Sweden as she first visited her grandfather King Gustaf VI. Adolf.

Carl-Gustaf did actually visit Scotland in 1975. Still in the UK ofcourse but i don't think he was in England at all ?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As the visit was in 1975, Queen Silvia was not a part of it as it was still a year until the wedding would take place. The eldest sister of the King,
Princess Margareta Mrs Ambler who already lived in England acted as the
Swedish first lady during the state banquet at Holyrood House.
Prince Charles and Princess Anne was also given the order of the seraphim during that visit and The Duke of Gloucester was given the order of the polar star. Queen Elizabeth II was also given the seraphim collar (already a member of the order since 1954).

I asked my danish friends too and the danish visit to Queen Elizabeth II in 2000 was indeed a state visit. Would be great to see Carl-Gustaf do it too.

Last edited:
The Authority for Statistics (SCB) has updated the largest export markets for Sweden during 2014. Norway is still no 1, and Germany is keeping the 2nd place, while UK is new no 3.

This makes me think that it's really time for new State Visit to these countries, especially since it's long time since the last ones.

Hopefully we will see outgoing swedish state visits to Germany and UK again but if there will be anymore Swedish-Norwegian visits during these reigns it's Harald and Sonja who should visit Sweden as they last did it in 1992 and Carl Gustaf and Silvia visited Norway in 1993.

Hopefully we will see an outgoing Swedish state visit to Luxembourg soon as Carl Gustaf haven't done that yet and Henri has been Grand Duke since 2000 and did a state visit to Sweden in 2008.

Hopefully we will see an outgoing Swedish state visit to Luxembourg soon as Carl Gustaf haven't done that yet and Henri has been Grand Duke since 2000 and did a state visit to Sweden in 2008.

Yes I agree with you. This might be a possible state visit for this fall.

Today the King hold an audience for the Minster for Foreign Affairs, Margot Wallström. Even though all publicity for this meeting in the Swedish press is about the recent diplomatic crisis with Saudi Arabia, it was the planning for upcoming state visits that was the major topic. No news about potential state visits however after the meeting.

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt...foreignaffairs.5.5b01e8814acd8748ba12af3.html

Last edited:
Today the King hold an audience for the Minster for Foreign Affairs, Margot Wallström. Even though all publicity for this meeting in the Swedish press is about the recent diplomatic crisis with Saudi Arabia, it was the planning for upcoming state visits that was the major topic. No news about potential state visits however after the meeting.

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt...foreignaffairs.5.5b01e8814acd8748ba12af3.html

Hopefully that means an outgoing and / or incoming state visit will be announced soon.

And hopefully he teached her a lesson or two in diplomacy ;-)

We could now look forward to an incoming state visit from India with start May 31. We'll have to wait for press releases from the Royal Court and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, however the website of the Mounted Royal Guards states:

"Under 2015 är ett statsbesök från Indien inplanerat den 31 maj med kortege under eftermiddagen."
"During 2015 is a state visit from India planned on May 31, with a cortege during the afternoon." (my translation).

Also the closing schedules of the Royal Apartments at the Royal Palace of Stockholm has indicated an incoming state visit in this period.

Carl-Gustaf did actually visit Scotland in 1975. Still in the UK ofcourse but i don't think he was in England at all ?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As the visit was in 1975, Queen Silvia was not a part of it as it was still a year until the wedding would take place. The eldest sister of the King,
Princess Margareta Mrs Ambler who already lived in England acted as the
Swedish first lady during the state banquet at Holyrood House.
Prince Charles and Princess Anne was also given the order of the seraphim during that visit and The Duke of Gloucester was given the order of the polar star. Queen Elizabeth II was also given the seraphim collar (already a member of the order since 1954).

I asked my danish friends too and the danish visit to Queen Elizabeth II in 2000 was indeed a state visit. Would be great to see Carl-Gustaf do it too.

Relations between the Windsors and the Bernadottes are rumored to be somewhat cool after King Carl Gustaf rejected a possible match-up with Princess Anne back when he was still single and the plans to marry Prince William to Princess Madeleine went nowhere. Prince Charles is also often quoted as having openly criticized Victoria when she and Daniel became a couple.

Just gossip of course.

Hopefully we will see outgoing swedish state visits to Germany and UK again but if there will be anymore Swedish-Norwegian visits during these reigns it's Harald and Sonja who should visit Sweden as they last did it in 1992 and Carl Gustaf and Silvia visited Norway in 1993.

There have not been many Royal State Visits to Luxembourg since Grand Duke Henri became Gand Duke. Only King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and Queen Beatrix.
But i think it is really time for a swedish State Visiti to Germany as the last one was in 1979 so 36 years ago.

Last edited:
There have not been many Royal State Visits to Luxembourg since GRand Duke Henri became Gand Duke. Only King Juan CArlos and Queen Sofia and Queen Beatrix.
But i think it is really time for a swedish State Visiti to Germany as the last one was in 1979 so 36 years ago.

It would indeed be nice to see state visit to both Luxemburg and Germany, I hopa and guess both of them are in the pipeline and will take place in a couple of years.

Has the King not paid a State Visit to the UK except for a visit to Scotland 40 years ago?

As reported by LadyFinn is the King and Queen paying a state visit to Lithuania in October. Statsbesök i Litauen 7–9 oktober 2015 - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

It seems like most of the state visits that have taking place the last years are to/from countries around the baltic sea. But no monarchies...

Interesting. A very important state visit as well to strengthen the connections with the baltic countries in the new political climate :) Hopefully we'll get one more incoming state visit too before the end of the year. I've heard rumours there may be an incoming state visit from the president of Chile this year or next. I really hope it's true as i am born in Chile and was adopted to Sweden when i was 6 months :)

Usually state visits to and from monarchies are being done quite early in the reign of a new monarch so i am sure we will get incoming state visits from Spain, NL and Belgium in the upcoming years. And it's QMII:s turn to go to Sweden too.

Has the King not paid a State Visit to the UK except for a visit to Scotland 40 years ago?

No

Last edited:
Interesting. A very important state visit as well to strengthen the connections with the baltic countries in the new political climate :) Hopefully we'll get one more incoming state visit too before the end of the year. I've heard rumours there may be an incoming state visit from the president of Chile this year or next. I really hope it's true as i am born in Chile and was adopted to Sweden when i was 6 months :)

Usually state visits to and from monarchies are being done quite early in the reign of a new monarch so i am sure we will get incoming state visits from Spain, NL and Belgium in the upcoming years. And it's QMII:s turn to go to Sweden too.

I agree with you, and this vist has been rumored for a while. We see a clear tendency that the cooperation with the countries around the Baltic Sea are seen as more important nowadays.

That would indeed be nice to see! Have a President from Chile previously paid a state visit to Sweden?

I somehow think that the Spanish King and Queen will be the first one of the new Royal Couples to pay a state visit to Sweden. I have two reason for this, Spain is the country of the three that hasn't paid/been visited for the longest time. The Swedish RC paid a state visit to the Netherlands in 2009, and to Belgium in 2001, the last Spanish visit is way longer back in time. The Spanish King and Queen haven't paid an introduction or curtsey visit to Sweden yet, maybe they wait for the "real" visit in due time.

I do hope for a state visit from Denmark, with Margrethe, Henrik, Frederik and Mary. After all it was kind off promised during the Swedish visit to Denmark in 2017, however I don't think it will happen before 2017, since the King turns 70 next year.

I agree with you, and this vist has been rumored for a while. We see a clear tendency that the cooperation with the countries around the Baltic Sea are seen as more important nowadays.

That would indeed be nice to see! Have a President from Chile previously paid a state visit to Sweden?

I somehow think that the Spanish King and Queen will be the first one of the new Royal Couples to pay a state visit to Sweden. I have two reason for this, Spain is the country of the three that hasn't paid/been visited for the longest time. The Swedish RC paid a state visit to the Netherlands in 2009, and to Belgium in 2001, the last Spanish visit is way longer back in time. The Spanish King and Queen haven't paid an introduction or curtsey visit to Sweden yet, maybe they wait for the "real" visit in due time.

I do hope for a state visit from Denmark, with Margrethe, Henrik, Frederik and Mary. After all it was kind off promised during the Swedish visit to Denmark in 2017, however I don't think it will happen before 2017, since the King turns 70 next year.

Absolutely. The ties to the countries around the Baltic Sea becomes more and more important, eapecially since the quite unstable political situation in Russia.

The King and Queen paid a state visit to Chile in 1996.
The Chilean President at the time Ricardo Lagos paid an official visit to Sweden in 2005 but that was more of a political visit and Prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt did the return visit in 2011.
I don't think there has ever been a state visit to Sweden by a Chilean president.

I agree with you. The last Spanish state visit to Sweden was in 1979 and the return visit to Spain was in 1983. It's quite surprising that the new spanish royal couple hasn't done an introductory visit yet. Maybe it will come or maybe a state visit is on the drawing board so they don't see any need for an introductory visit.

I won't be surprised if we will se a danish state visit to Sweden in 2017, 10 years since the
Swedish state visit to Denmark, hopefully in the summer so they can use the ship "Dannebrogen" :)
It would be fantastic if F and M would follow QMII and PH and carry out engagements together with V and D. Though i don't expect it but see it as a nice bonus if they do.

Last edited:
Absolutely. The ties to the countries around the Baltic Sea becomes more and more important, eapecially since the quite unstable political situation in Russia.

The King and Queen paid a state visit to Chile in 1996.
The Chilean President at the time Ricardo Lagos paid an official visit to Sweden in 2005 but that was more of a political visit and Prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt did the return visit in 2011.
I don't think there has ever been a state visit to Sweden by a Chilean president.

I agree with you. The last Spanish state visit to Sweden was in 1979 and the return visit to Spain was in 1983. It's quite surprising that the new spanish royal couple hasn't done an introductory visit yet. Maybe it will come or maybe a state visit is on the drawing board so they don't see any need for an introductory visit.

I won't be surprised if we will se a danish state visit to Sweden in 2017, 10 years since the
Swedish state visit to Denmark, hopefully in the summer so they can use the ship "Dannebrogen" :)
It would be fantastic if F and M would follow QMII and PH and carry out engagements together with V and D. Though i don't expect it but see it as a nice bonus if they do.

This new trend with state visit to and from the Baltic countries might bring us a state visit to Germany as well.

Very interesting concerning (state) visits to and from Chile. Lets hope that well will see this in a near future.

I think it is 50-50 chance we will see Mary and Frederik join the Regent couple. As Victoria joined the King and Queen in 2007, I don't see it as impossible that we will se a great representation from Denmark. It would indeed be both glittering and an extensive programme.

This new trend with state visit to and from the Baltic countries might bring us a state visit to Germany as well.

Very interesting concerning (state) visits to and from Chile. Lets hope that well will see this in a near future.

I think it is 50-50 chance we will see Mary and Frederik join the Regent couple. As Victoria joined the King and Queen in 2007, I don't see it as impossible that we will se a great representation from Denmark. It would indeed be both glittering and an extensive programme.

Definitely. I am sure a future outgoing state visit to Germany is at the drawing board at the Foreign ministry. It is also Carl Gustafs turn to visit Luxembourg.

Yes it would be really funny if it happened. We have a lot of trade with Chile and a lot of Swedish citizens from Chile who are adopted like me or who fled the dictatorship during the Pinochet-era.

It would be funny if Frederik and Mary would follow the regent couple on the next state visit to Sweden (and Norway too). Even though i don't think Victoria would have followed to Denmark and Finland had she been married at that time it would be very symbolic given the very close family ties. I know Carl Gustaf has described Frederik, Haakon and Märtha-Louise as children in his own family and Harald and Margrethe the same about Victoria so the scandinavians are indeed very close :)

Last edited:
Definitely. I am sure a future outgoing state visit to Germany is at the drawing board at the Foreign ministry. It is also Carl Gustafs turn to visit Luxembourg.

Yes it would be really funny if it happened. We have a lot of trade with Chile and a lot of Swedish citizens from Chile who are adopted like me or who fled the dictatorship during the Pinochet-era.

It would be funny if Frederik and Mary would follow the regent couple on the next state visit to Sweden (and Norway too). Even though i don't think Victoria would have followed to Denmark and Finland had she been married at that time it would be very symbolic given the very close family ties. I know Carl Gustaf has described Frederik, Haakon and Märtha-Louise as children in his own family and Harald and Margrethe the same about Victoria so the scandinavians are indeed very close :)

I wish I knew what state visits that are in the making at Ministry for Foreign Affairs. As we discussed before are the Baltic countries and the countries around the Baltic Sea seen as very important right now (no wonder why), but it seems that it is on the cost of return visits to previous state visits.

One of these are Luxembourg (state visit in Sweden in 2008), and I hope this will take place next year or following. But I don't think that this is a prioritized visit by the government however.

Denmark (state visit in 2007). It is important due to the family ties between the royal families, but also between the countries. Here I actually think it is only a matter of time, and try to coordinate in the calendar. Almost every year is their a major celebration in either Denmark or Sweden, and I think that they want a a year that is free from celebrations, hopefully 2017. And lets hope that it is two generation state visit with Dannebrog.

Germany. Would not be surprising concerning the countries that are visited. President Gauck paid a state visit in 2003, so it's a bout time for a return visit, and that hasn't taken place for decades. It would be lovely to see Queen Silvia to "come home".

The visit in Mexico in 2002 hasn't been returned. And it seems like the Mexican President pays a lot of state visit to European countries right now.

Johan T Lindwall, journalist at Expressen, writes in an article (about the Tunisian state visit to Sweden) that it's possible with a state visit to India in 2016. The lastest visit to India was in 1993 with an incoming visit this year.

I expect things to be announced about this soon. An outgoing state visit to India is possible. An incoming state visit from Iceland is also possible by the end of the year as they will get a new President this summer.

Others than that i have no clue. Would be nice if the much anticipated state visit to Germany would finally happen. A state visit to The Queen's birth country would be a HUGE media affair.

Royals ? Maybe from Spain. Too early yet to expect visits from Belgium and Netherlands.

If i got to wish a royal state visit, it would be an incoming state visit from Denmark during the summer and that QMII takes both the royal ship "Dannebrogen" and and the whole Crown Princely family with her (PH can be at his wine castle and PJ can protect Denmark while they are here).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom