Swedish Royals at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandDuchess

Heir Apparent
City
Somwhere
Country
Sweden
Here is a thread where I thought we could post pictures and information about The King, Queens and Prince Carl Philip's attendance at the Olympic Games in Athens from August 20-30.

Digg in! :)

J-O, J-O, J-O! :) What a great game! And what a "come back" from J-O Waldner! Now, let me tell you about the royal adventures in Athens so far:

First, The King, Queen and Prince Carl Philip watched the swimming competitions and Stefan Nystrand's 4th place swimm in 50 m freestyle.

Then, they rushed on to watch the athletic's Heptathlon and our gold hope Carolina Klüft...

And then, they went to the arena where the table tennis is played - and watched the almost heroic (in the eyes of Sweden) game of J-O Waldner against World Champion Timo Boll - which he won!

It was great fun to see the table tennis game, there were almost a thousand Swedes there and The King and Queen were showed on the screen every now and then. The Queen held a Swedish flag that she waved, and The King clapped his hands. The Swedish supporters dominated the entire arena, and carried Waldner to victory.

After the game, the arena played Abba's "Dancing Queen" and the Swedish fans went nuts! :) Waldner drank some water, talked to the coach - and then he walked over to The King and Queen and Prince Carl Philip to greet them. The King did the manly congratulations thing and pounded him on the back, while The Queen gave him a hug!

The King said to Aftonbladet afterwards:
- I've been following him a bit and have understood that he hasn't been in the best shape. But now he is fantastic.
- An old fox like him, we can still count on!

I almost feel like a sports commentator, or journalist here - although focusing on some other things than just the sportsmen maybe.... :D

Lets hope for pics! :)

Attachments

• waldner-bakifran-jubel-410.jpg
    waldner-bakifran-jubel-410.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
I watched the game to, it was SO great!

Always fun to watch the king in an element where he feels comfertible, unlike he does in some of the state official activities...

Hope that J-O wins a gold!!! and that sweden soon takes it´s first medal, it has been to long now...

I´m sure that they will have a great week down in athens and that they will come home fresh and exited to take on work

Yes, they arrived on Friday.

I so want to see them to...I've been trying to get in to brainpix for some time now but it's impossible unless you work with pics and so on...really would love to see the pics!

Thanks for the photos. I wonder why more members of the family didn't come and how long they will stay.

Didn't Silvia and Carl Gustav meet during the Olympic Games?

LINK to a mini-INTERVIEW with The King (put it in your media viewer)- Kungen om J-O: Kung Carl XIV Gustaf om J-O Waldners OS-insats

Well I think that three (The King, Queen and Prince Carl Philip) members representing the Royal Family is quite okay - even though I wouldn't mind if the others would be there too... :) Right now I don't think Princess Madeleine has the time to attend the Olympics, even if she wanted too, cause the term at university starts now - and she's a full-time student... They will stay until the end of the games.

Yes - The King and Queen met during the Olympic Games in Munich in 1972, and this is also one of the reasons that the Olympics still today holds an extra special place in their hearts.

Last edited:
How about Victoria?I think that she usually attends events with The King and The Queen than Carl Philips.Why doesn't she attend?

This morning when they showed the Waldner match live, they showed Carl Gustav and Silvia a few times on TV.

Silvia looks beautiful in the last picture! But where is Carl Philip :/

Are the blue suits the King and Queen are wearing in some of these pictures the same as the ones worn by the Swedith athletes when they entered the stadium the night of the opening ceremonies?

I have noticed that many of the royals in attendance at the Athens games are sporting the same clothes as the athletes, such as Haakon in the beige suit at the opening ceremony the same as the Norwegian athletes, Frederik and Mary in the red and beige shirts of the Danish athletes, and the Spanish royals in red, golden and white attire. A wonderful show of support by all the royals for their respective athletes.

so what is the casual look of the Swedish team look like???

Here are two from Corbis that I just found:

Thanks Grand Duchess and all, i would of had dark blue compared to the light blue..

Here is the Polfoto photo:

more photos Abaca Press

Attachments

• 249948.jpg
    249948.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 536
  • 249947.jpg
    249947.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 249948.jpg
    249948.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 249946.jpg
    249946.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 464
Last edited by a moderator:
Marvelous photos. It´s great to see a royal family support their athletes so much. Have to agree about that white sheath. And Christian is indeed a brave man. But he deserves some hiliarity as well. He has done well at these Games.

ohh...so cute pics...so lovely...love the way they really make it obvious to everybody that they are a married couple! LOVING EACHOTHER<3...and that they are a family as well (thinking of the pics that are also showing prince Carl Philip!)

That was the show jumping yesterday. The authorities did not exactly come up with the most recent of accreditation photos for the King and Queen! :)

Pic of The King and The Queen yesterday.

Attachments

• 00260299.jpg
    00260299.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 303
In some pics at OLs we had posted.I saw that Carl Philips wear glasses.What glasses did he wear?Sungalasses or glasses only to see clearly?

Carl Philip, all members of the rf acyually, wears eyeglasses to improve their sight

Queen Silvia

Hi Yennie! Are you back at University soon?

Do you know if Queen Silvia wears spectacles as well?

Thanks, Gita.

HI Gita! No not yet, Im going back this wednesday. It feels a bit strange. I´ve been on holiday for three months now :)

Yes, both Silvia and the King wears glasses. The King uses them all the time but Silvia only wears them sometimes... mostly in private I think

Back
Top Bottom