Swedish Royal Robes of State

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am no Swede (tho I wouldn't mind!) but I would hazard a guess and say the moment King Gustav VI Adolf died - I believe it was around that time that they "reformed" the monarchy and the King, essentially, became a figurehead (probably because they felt Carl XVI Gustav was too young?).]
The change of the opening of the Swedish parliament happened in 1975, two years after the death of king Gustav VI Adolf, but it had nothing to do with his death or that king Carl Gustaf being considered "too young", the reforms would have taken place even if the old king had been alive. There were several changes made in the "Riksdagsordningen" of 1974, the law that rules how the Swedish parliament functions, as well as the introduction of a new "Regeringsform"of 1974, one of four constitution laws in Sweden. One reason why a reform of the old Riksdagsordning was necessary was that Sweden had gone from a two chamber parliament to a one chamber parliament in 1971. One of the changes made was that the opening of the parliament was moved from January to September.

The last Swedish royal lady wearing the old court dress was princess Christina in January 1974, you can see her at 35 minutes into this film from the opening of the parliament: Riksdagens högtidliga öppnande 1974 | SVT Play

Last edited:
Thank you for posting that link,I for one much prefer the old court dress and rituals compared to the modern version which has been stripped of so much old rituals and traditions!

I think that's too bad that the Swedish Opening of Parliament changed. From the video posted, it looked like it was such a regal ceremony.

I agree, An Ard Ri.

I think that's too bad that the Swedish Opening of Parliament changed. From the video posted, it looked like it was such a regal ceremony.

I agree, An Ard Ri.
The old Opening of the parliament was a great show, but more suitable for a absolute monarchy, not so much for a representative democracy.

I guess with any topic here,opinions will vary.I look at such old footage with historical nostalgia,but thankfully the Swedish Monarchy has still preserved some pomp and majesty.

Well, I do understand people have different views on this kind of thing. I like the way The Queen opens Parliament in her State Robes and wearing The Imperial State Crown. I just think it's good to see a piece of old history in todays modern world.

The old Opening of the parliament was a great show, but more suitable for a absolute monarchy, not so much for a representative democracy.

I agree with you, totally.

The new Swedish court dress were created in the early 1980ies, and at a time when sleeves were large and pouffy, so the large sleeves were high fashion at the time (and I think it's time to update those sleeves). For the dress part, each wearer has the opportunity to chose the cut, and the neckline they prefer, the same as it was with the old court dress, the fashion of the day decided the look of the dress, the only thing the different dresses had in common were the sleeves.
As for princess Sibylla, and her daughters' in the same cut of the dress, my guess is that was Sibylla who wanted the daughters' wear the same kind of dress, the Haga princesses were often dressed in identically during their childhood and teenage years in public.

The Court dress of old was really two similar, but different costumes. The first variety which I've called the State robes were worn by the royal ladies to the Ceremonial Opening of Parliament in January each year and apparently at the Court cour until 1952 (I think so, but haven't been able to find much information on the subject of the cour). While the cut of the dress itself varied during the 19th century to adapt to different fashions the look became set by the later decades of the century and remained largely unchanged until 1974. It was for instance Queen Fredrika who added the arms and long train modelled on the court dress of St Petersburg after spending time there with her sister Empress Louise. The black and white sleeves have managed to survive for almost 230 years and I'm certain that they'll be there for as long we have a court. That the dress stopped being subjected to the whims of fashion was mostly because of an eventual sense of tradition, but also because of economics. They weren't worn frequently and were very expensive to make. The Haga princesses inherited theirs from older relatives. Princess Christina for instance inherited her dress from Princess Ingeborg.
The dress worn by the ladies of the court and the wives of the members of government was the blue print for today's court dress. Much simpler than the state robes it's style was changed with the fashions, but were always black, had the characteristic arms and a train. The ladies of the court lined the decolletage with lace, but as can be seen during at least the 60s and 70s many wives of the members of government and others chose not to. It was quite common for ladies to borrow dresses from each other, rent a whole dress or even just rent the sleeves and a train and have them attached for the day to a black gown they owned.
This variety was also worn by the wives of foreign diplomats introduced at the court during the cour until the 1920s and by young ladies introduced at the court during the cour up until 1952. After that the requirement to wear a special dress was abolished. The cour itself was abolished by Queen Louise in 1962 and replaced with "democratic lunches for professional women".
The court dress worn by the ladies of the court today is both modelled on the simpler varieties worn during the 60s and 70s, but also on the empire style worn during the early 19th century and yes, it does have a bit of an 80s air too, doesn't it.

Thank you both for your additional comments. Why is it that court dress has persisted into the 20th and 21st centuries for ladies but not for gentlemen?

Because the men don't want to wear it? — most likely.

Thank you both for your additional comments. Why is it that court dress has persisted into the 20th and 21st centuries for ladies but not for gentlemen?
Because the men don't want to wear it? — most likely.
Because men are boring and to preoccupied with not seeming effeminate I guess. The elaborate Swedish Ceremonial Costume made out of silk and heavily embroidered with silver thread was last used at the coronation of Oscar I on 28 September 1844. It was probably discontinued because of the changes to men's fashion that occurred during the mid-1800s. It got increasingly simpler and more like the dark suits of today.

https://sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svensk_furstlig_dräkt#/media/Fil:Furstlig_dräkt.jpg

The male courtiers still wear the different male versions of the court dress during Royal ceremonies and on gala occasions.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Svante_Lindqvist_i_hovuniform.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom