Swedish Royal Orders & Medals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
I don't think there is a topic on this subject.

I will place the real orders from Sweden here.

Royal Order of the Seraphim:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Order_of_the_Seraphim

Order of the Polar Star:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Polar_Star

Order of the Sword:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Sword

Order of Vasa:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Vasa

Order of Charles XIII:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Charles_XIII

Order of Saint John in Sweden:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Saint_John_in_Sweden

Royal family order:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_family_order

Last edited:
Last edited:
A blog post of the living swedish holders of orders (2016)
Both baron Niclas Silfverschiöld and Tord Magnuson were/are Commander 1st Class of the Order of Vasa
Levande svenska ordensinnehavare _ Phaleristica
Translation

Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld and Tord Magnuson have got H.M The King's Medal, Gold 12th in Size (1992)
Princess Christina has got The Prince Carl Medal (2002, awarded for national or international humanitarian activity.)
Sök - Medalj - Sveriges Kungahus
Sök - Medalj - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
Senior Curator of the Royal Orders Tom Bergroth should have given a lecture of the Order of the Seraphim set with brilliants worn by HM Queen Silvia on special occasions (the lecture is postponed due to corona virus).
The Order of the Seraphim set was originally made for Queen Victoria when the Queen of Sweden was given the right, in 1908, to carry the Order of the Seraphim.
https://www.kungligaslotten.se/imag...fimerorder-Sweden-copy-Kungl-Hovstaterna-.jpg
https://www.kungligaslotten.se/imag...1/Queens-Serafimerorder-Kungl-Hovstaterna.jpg

The link about the Royal Family's attire says that the King wore the Order of the Seraphim and the Royal Order of Vasa on a collar at Prince Carl Philip's wedding, but looking at the wedding video, I don't see those aforementioned collars (only the Order of the Sword on a necklet and the light blue Seraphim sash). Could the Palace's information be wrong?

The link about the Royal Family's attire says that the King wore the Order of the Seraphim and the Royal Order of Vasa on a collar at Prince Carl Philip's wedding, but looking at the wedding video, I don't see those aforementioned collars (only the Order of the Sword on a necklet and the light blue Seraphim sash). Could the Palace's information be wrong?

Not sure what link you are referring to. This is what I could find on the website of CP's wedding about what the king wore (uniform and orders):

Kungen är amiral i flottan och bar stor mässdräkt modell 1878. Denna så kallade sällskapsuniform för marinen motsvarar högtidsdräkt och kan bäras i festsammanhang, då frack bärs enligt civilt bruk. Stor mässdräkt består av mörkblå mässjacka, vit väst, mörkblå byxor med guldrevärer frackskjorta och svart fluga.

Kungen bar Serafimerorden i band med kraschan och Vasaorden i kraschan. Av halsdekorationer bar Kungen Svärdsorden, den svenska militära orden.

So, my interpretation is that he wore the sash and star of the royal order of the Serafim (as you also noted), the star of the royal order of Vasa and the necklet of the royal order of the Sword (as you also noticed). The king is indeed wearing two different stars. and even better on the official portrait (they were already practicing social distancing :whistling:)

Not sure what link you are referring to. This is what I could find on the website of CP's wedding about what the king wore (uniform and orders):

So, my interpretation is that he wore the sash and star of the royal order of the Serafim (as you also noted), the star of the royal order of Vasa and the necklet of the royal order of the Sword (as you also noticed). The king is indeed wearing two different stars. and even better on the official portrait (they were already practicing social distancing :whistling:)

I was referring to the English translation of the aforementioned page, which was linked by LadyFinn. It says that the King was wearing the order of the Seraphim and the order of Vasa "on a collar", but I couldn't see any collar. Maybe something got lost in translation?

Last edited:
I was referring to the English translation of the aforementioned page, which was linked by LadyFinn. It says that the King was wearing the order of the Seraphim and the order of Vasa "on a collar", but I couldn't see any collar. Maybe something got lost in translation?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a translation issue. Google Translate also has trouble with the word 'kraschan' especially in a sentence. It translates the full sentence as "The king carried the Order of Seraphim in bands with the crash and the Vasa Order in the crash."

While the word 'kraschan' on its own shows 'grand star' as translation.

I guess Google Translate isn't that well-versed in (royal) orders :D - and whoever translated the website, didn't fully understand it either apparently.

This is the statute which up until this moment has been interpreted as making it forbidden for the King from bestowing orders on Swedish citizens, with the exception since 1995 of members of the Royal House.

Ordenskungörelse (1974:768) Svensk författningssamling 1974:1974:768 t.o.m. SFS 1995:1025 - Riksdagen

1 § Inom Kungl. Serafimerorden kan utmärkelser tilldelas statschefer och därmed jämställda personer samt medlemmar av det svenska konungahuset. Förordning (1995:1025).

2 § Inom Kungl. Nordstjärneorden kan utmärkelser tilldelas medlemmar av det svenska konungahuset samt utländska medborgare som har gjort personliga insatser för Sverige eller för svenskt intresse.

Med utländsk medborgare likställs statslös som är bosatt utomlands.
Förordning (1995:1025).​

In 1995, the King requested and was granted an amendment to the law, allowing him to bestow orders on members of the Royal House so that the Crown Princess and her siblings could become members of the Order of the Seraphim.

Why did the King not make another request to Parliament when Prince Julian was born to expand orders and royal coats of arms to members of the Royal Family, so that it would not come down to a choice between disobeying the law and treating one grandchild differently from his siblings?

Last edited:
Why did the King not make another request to Parliament when Prince Julian was born to expand orders and royal coats of arms to members of the Royal House, so that it would not come down to a choice between disobeying the law and treating one grandchild differently from his siblings?
The matter of a reformed "Public honours system" (sorry I don't know the correct English language term for it) which includes among other things the reintroduction of the Orders of the Sword & of Vasa and a reorganisation of the Orders of the Seraphim and the Polar Star to make it possible for Swedish citizens to become knights/members is part of the parliamentary inquiry that will also affect the finances of the Royal family, flag days etc... The parliamentary committee formed to look at the subject is set to present the results of the inquiry on September 15 this year.

Last edited:
Thanks. I meant to write "to expand orders and royal coats of arms to members of the Royal Family", naturally. "Honours system" is indeed the correct English term.

Was it not already known months ago that the full parliamentary inquiry followed by the process of legal reform would extend beyond Prince Julian's birth and christening? While I would like the King to obey the law and wait for the reform, that approach would nonetheless be treating Julian differently from his brothers, who technically became knights of the Seraphim at birth and were presented with the insignia at their christenings.

And will the reform tackle the issue of the royal coat of arms, which according to the law is also limited to members of the Royal House?

Thanks. I meant to write "to expand orders and royal coats of arms to members of the Royal Family", naturally. "Honours system" is indeed the correct English term.

Was it not already known months ago that the full parliamentary inquiry followed by the process of legal reform would extend beyond Prince Julian's birth and christening? While I would like the King to obey the law and wait for the reform, that approach would nonetheless be treating Julian differently from his brothers, who technically became knights of the Seraphim at birth and were presented with the insignia at their christenings.

And will the reform tackle the issue of the royal coat of arms, which according to the law is also limited to members of the Royal House?
The date for the presentation of the findings of the inquiry has been set since last year so yes it has been known for a long time. The presentation was due last year, but because of the pandemic parliament and government naturally had more pressing priorities.
I too want the King to stick to the current laws (I actually find it quite important that he does) and, to me, the argument that Julian would be treated differently from his brothers is a rather stupid one (not against you, but if it's brought up by the court) since Julian is to young to care. If he's to have it he can get it later. His father and his aunts didn't get it until 1995. I haven't read anything about the Royal coat of arms, but it's one of a few both bigger and smaller details surrounding the 2019 reform that I feel needs to be resolved both for the sake of clarity and to adhere to the legal framework already in place.

The information about the Order of the Seraphim is very unclear at the website. At the swedish versions they use Kungahuset (=Royal House) and at the english versions the Royal Family.

In swedish website
"Den utdelas numera endast till medlemmar av det svenska Kungahuset och till utländska statschefer eller därmed jämställda personer i samband med statsbesök."
Serafimerorden - Sveriges Kungahus
In english website
"Nowadays it is conferred exclusively on members of the Swedish Royal Family and on foreign heads of state or other persons of comparable rank."
The Order of the Seraphim - Sveriges Kungahus

"Kungen kan tilldela Serafimerorden och Nordstjärneorden till medlemmar av det svenska Kungahuset."
Ordnar - Sveriges Kungahus
The only exception to this rule is the power of The King, since 1995, to confer the Order of the Seraphim and degrees in the Order of the Polar Star on members of the Swedish Royal Family.
The Orders in Sweden - Sveriges Kungahus

"År 1995 skrevs dock lagen om så att medlemmar av Kungahuset kan få Serafimerorden. Samma år mottog Kronprinsessan denna på sin myndighetsdag."
Krona och Serafimerorden - Sveriges Kungahus
In 1995, the law was rewritten to allow members of the Royal Family to receive the Order of the Seraphim. That same year, The Crown Princess received the order on coming of age."
Crown and Order of the Seraphim - Sveriges Kungahus

About the Coat of Arms:
Since the Middle Ages, kings and princes have had coats of arms in sculpted or painted form, with symbols of the nation and the dynasty.
It is also an old tradition that dukes of the Royal Family bear the coats of arms of both their dynasty and their duchy. One of the fields of the national coat of arms is then removed and replaced with the relevant province shield. When female succession to the throne was introduced, this tradition was transferred to princesses in the line of succession.
Coat of arms and monogram - Sveriges Kungahus

Ordre de l'Harmonie - Solfjädersorden
L'Ordre de l'Harmonie (French: "The Order of Unity"), also called Solfjädersorden (Swedish: "The Order of the Hand fan"), was a Swedish royal dynastic order, founded by Queen Louisa Ulrika of Sweden in 1744. It was awarded to 22 people between 1744 and 1746.
Ordre de l'Harmonie - Wikipedia

At Facebook of The Royal Armoury
Today's date: August 18, 1744 the Prussian princess Lovisa Ulrika and the Swedish Crown Prince Adolf Fredrik got married...
The day before, the bride and groom had arrived at Drottningholm under cannon salute with a newly built sloop, accompanied by eight flag-adorned ships. During the journey over, Lovisa Ulrika dropped her fan so that it fell into small pieces. The future groom collected the pieces and handed them out as a souvenir to those present, joking that an order would be instituted in memory of the event. So it was too. L'Ordre de l'harmonie, or Solfjädersorden, was very rightly instituted but only awarded for a short period. The Order is preserved in the Collection of the Royal Armoury. It represents a sloop surrounded by fans and the motto La liaison fait ma valeur, la division me perd - Unity my strength, division my ruin.

The parliamentary committee formed to look at the subject is set to present the results of the inquiry on September 15 this year.

When can we expect the results to be made public?

From what I've heard the results will be made public in September 21st. If the rumours are true the inquiry has been very thorough and some parts of it could shake things up quite a bit at the palace.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Royals Community mobile app

I think you are right, because at the website of the Riksdag it is told that the chairman of the committee Björn von Sydow's work will end on 21st September and the members' work ends on 20th September.
The composition of the committee
Kommittén om det offentliga belöningssystemet, de allmänna flaggdagarna och utformningen av anslaget till hovet - Förtjänstutredningen (Ju 2019_09) Kommittéberättelse 2019_Ju09 kommittén, se dir. 2019_76 - Riksdagen

Last edited:
I think you are right, because at the website of the Riksdag it is told that the chairman of the committee Björn von Sydow's work will end on 21st September and the members' work ends on 20th September.
The composition of the committee
Kommittén om det offentliga belöningssystemet, de allmänna flaggdagarna och utformningen av anslaget till hovet - Förtjänstutredningen (Ju 2019_09) Kommittéberättelse 2019_Ju09 kommittén, se dir. 2019_76 - Riksdagen
Great find! Thank you.

From what I've heard the results will be made public in September 21st. If the rumours are true the inquiry has been very thorough and some parts of it could shake things up quite a bit at the palace.
Shake things up in a good or bad way...?

Shake things up in a good or bad way...?
No idea. The Court has wanted a review of the royal finances for years. It's been common knowledge since the fifties that both Gustav VI Adolf and Princess Sibylla had to add private funds to the appanage to keep the organisation going something that has continued under the current king. The pandemic year have proven how financially vulnerable the court is since much of its activities are dependent on revenues from visitors and rents. From what I've heard Djurgården and the royal privilege over it especially has been given a very thorough looking into.

No idea. The Court has wanted a review of the royal finances for years. It's been common knowledge since the fifties that both Gustav VI Adolf and Princess Sibylla had to add private funds to the appanage to keep the organisation going something that has continued under the current king. The pandemic year have proven how financially vulnerable the court is since much of its activities are dependent on revenues from visitors and rents. From what I've heard Djurgården and the royal privilege over it especially has been given a very thorough looking into.

I read in the Finance section of the Royal Court website that the revenue from the Royal Djurgården either matches or exceeds the total amount of the state apanage (I can't remember the exact figure). It would be a big blow to the Court finances then if the State took that over.

On the other hand, unlike what happens to most of the royal palaces, I understand that the Court, through the Djurgården Administration Office, pays directly for the maintenance of public buildings inside the Royal Djurgården itself. If the State takes that over, I suppose it will have to start footing the maintenance bills too.

Last edited:
I read in the Finance section of the Royal Court website that the revenue from the Royal Djurgården either matches or exceeds the total amount of the state apanage (I can't remember the exact figure). It would be a big blow to the Court finances then if the State took that over.

On the other hand, unlike what happens to most of the royal palaces, I understand that the Court, through the Djurgården Administration Office, pays directly for the maintenance of public buildings inside the Royal Djurgården itself. If the State takes that over, I suppose it will have to start footing the maintenance bills too.
Djurgården and other properties in Stockholm that belongs to that administration has been making headlines for years because of alleged shadiness when it comes to who gets to live there and how much they pay for the privilege. It's going to be interesting to see what the inquiry has to say about it. Generally every attempt by the state to regulate the royal family and the court (Line of succession, the Guadalupe fund etc...) has resulted in an eventual backlash against the latter with the politicians pretending that it's raining.

Last edited:
The Swedish Parliament voted to approve the proposed reformed Royal order system. The proposition was approved with the votes 274 for, 23 against with 52 members of parliament absent from the vote. This means that the Order of Vasa and Order of the Sword are to be reinstated and together with the Order of the Polar star will be available to be conferred on deserving Swedish citizens. The new reformed honours system will enter into force on January 1, 2023.

I don't know why the typeface of half the post looks different and I don't know how to change it?

Last edited:
The Swedish Parliament voted to approve the proposed reformed Royal order system. The proposition was approved with the votes 274 for, 23 against with 52 members of parliament absent from the vote. This means that the Order of Vasa and Order of the Sword are to be reinstated and together with the Order of the Polar star will be available to be conferred on deserving Swedish citizens. The new reformed honours system will enter into force on January 1, 2023.

I don't know why the typeface of half the post looks different and I don't know how to change it?

Have they published the new regulations for the awards yet, or will that come only later?

What is the reasoning behind the new Order system? What are the major changes and why was it deemed necessary?

What is the reasoning behind the new Order system? What are the major changes and why was it deemed necessary?

Currently orders cannot be conferred on Swedish citizens outside the royal family. The reform will allow H.M. the King to grant these honors to Swedish citizens.

I know you've already seen my answer to your question in Royal Orders and Decorations of Victoria, Daniel and the Children, and I am sorry for being unable to add any further information, but I will repost it in this thread for any readers who may not have seen the parliamentary committee's reports explaining the changes to the honors system.

The renewal of the honours system was one of the responsibilities of the same parliamentary investigation which resulted in the removal of five of the King's grandchildren from the Royal House and the forthcoming changes to the annual financial reports of the Royal House. The commission's work commenced in 2018.

The reports produced by the commission in 2021 explain the historical developments in the orders system and the rationale for the planned reforms. Although they are in Swedish, the reports include detailed summaries written in English.

https://www.regeringen.se/rattsliga-dokument/statens-offentliga-utredningar/2021/09/sou-202174/

For additional information in English, one can read LadyFinn's and JR76's many posts about the parliamentary investigation from 2018-2022, mainly in the thread Costs and Finances of the Swedish Royal Family. The orders reform has also been discussed in Swedish Royal Orders & Medals.

Interesting. Which parties voted against or abstained?

It's going to be interesting to see what the inquiry has to say about it. Generally every attempt by the state to regulate the royal family and the court (Line of succession, the Guadalupe fund etc...) has resulted in an eventual backlash against the latter with the politicians pretending that it's raining.

Could you tell more about the mentioned backlashes (perhaps in another thread)? I'm not familiar with those incidents.

King Carl Gustaf will attend an extraordinary meeting with the Royal Orders on December 2nd:
https://www.kungahuset.se/mediecent...2-12-02&kalender_slutdatum_submit=2022/12/02#

No information has been shared about the meeting yet, but it's reasonable to think that the new Statues of the Royal Orders, and other practical issues concerning the revival of the dormant orders, is on the agenda.

Hopefully, more details how everything will work with new system will be shared following this meeting.

Back
Top Bottom