Swedish Royal Orders & Medals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Carl Gustaf will attend an extraordinary meeting with the Royal Orders on December 2nd:
https://www.kungahuset.se/mediecent...2-12-02&kalender_slutdatum_submit=2022/12/02#

No information has been shared about the meeting yet, but it's reasonable to think that the new Statues of the Royal Orders, and other practical issues concerning the revival of the dormant orders, is on the agenda.

Hopefully, more details how everything will work with new system will be shared following this meeting.
The extraordinary meeting with the Royal Orders were mysteriously removed from the calender.

But today the Government decided on the new Regulation "Förordning om Sveriges främsta utmärkelser". There is no additional information, or the Regulation in itself is nowhere to find, but I guess will know more in very due course.

The extraordinary meeting with the Royal Orders were mysteriously removed from the calender.

But today the Government decided on the new Regulation "Förordning om Sveriges främsta utmärkelser". There is no additional information, or the Regulation in itself is nowhere to find, but I guess will know more in very due course.
Today the Regulation was published in the Swedish Code of Statutes, with number SFS2022:1800.

The Regulation doesn't tell us much and will get into force on February 1st 2023. The new statutes of the Royal Orders will be decided on a later stage, after approval by the Government.

https://svenskforfattningssamling.se/doc/20221800.html

At TV4 Nyhetsmorgon three days ago

Now you can be publicly rewarded by the king
For the next 50 years, the so-called orders of knights were removed, but now they are to be reintroduced. Claes-Johan Larsson, expert commentator, visits the sofa to explain what this means. "You can nominate those you think should have an order," he says. But if you don't behave, the King can revoke your reward. Note, correction: It is the government that reintroduces the public reward system, and not the royal house as it says in the graphic on the clip.
Nu kan du bli offentligt belönad av kungen

The King attends extra regular Chapter of the Royal Order on 22nd February.
Officiella program _ Kungahuset

The King attends extra regular Chapter of the Royal Order on 22nd February.

Officiella program _ Kungahuset

This Thursday the Government decided on two matters concerning the new Order system at the weekly cabinet meeting.

https://www.regeringen.se/arendeforteckningar/2023/02/regeringens-arendeforteckningar-vecka-05-2023/

Justitiedepartementet
3. Förord om ledamöter i ordensrådet.
Ju2023:00000
Ju2021:03311 (delvis)
4. Framställning av Kungl. Maj:ts Orden om godkännande av ordensstadgar.
Ju2022:03709

- Recommendation for members of the new Nominating Council of the Chapter of the Royal Orders. The member will be appointed by the Chapter of the Royal Orders in the meeting on 22 February.

- Approved the new Statutes of the Royal Orders. The Statutes will be decided on by the Chapter of the Royal Orders in the meeting on 22 February.

This Thursday the Government decided on two matters concerning the new Order system at the weekly cabinet meeting.

https://www.regeringen.se/arendeforteckningar/2023/02/regeringens-arendeforteckningar-vecka-05-2023/

Justitiedepartementet
3. Förord om ledamöter i ordensrådet.
Ju2023:00000
4. Framställning av Kungl. Maj:ts Orden om godkännande av ordensstadgar.
Ju2022:03709

- Recommendation for members of the new Nominating Council of the Chapter of the Royal Orders. The member will be appointed by the Chapter of the Royal Orders in the meeting on 22 February.

- Approved the new Statutes of the Royal Orders. The Statutes will be decided on by the Chapter of the Royal Orders in the meeting on 22 February.

Although I am not Swedish, as an enthusiast of orders of merit/chivalry, I am delighted that the Royal Orders of Knighthood will once again be available to Swedish citizens other than members of the Royal Family. I am also glad that Sweden is following the modern arrangements for orders of merit, which is to have an independent nominations committee that recommends the awards to the monarch (or the orders' Chapter) subject to approval by the government, with the King having personal discretion on awards to members of the Royal Family only.

I am looking forward to the publication of the revised statutes. It remains to be seen, but I suspect the order of the Seraphim will be left as it is, i.e. available only to heads of state and people of similar rank, or to members of the Royal Family, while the orders of the Sword, Polar Star, and Vasa will be the regular decorations for Swedish nationals (as well as possibly foreign nationals too, other than heads of state or equivalent, mostly as diplomatic courtesy, with some rare honorary awards).

I wonder if they will follow the pre-1974 system, i.e., the order of Sword being a military decoration; the Polar Star being awarded for merit in literature and sciences, and the order of Vasa for agriculture, mining, industry, arts, trade, crafts, and education, or if they will broaden the scope of the awards. I imagine philanthropic work and non-governmental community/public service will fit somewhere, maybe in the order of the Polar Star? What about service to the Royal House, civil service, and service in politics as elected officials?

Last edited:
Although I am not Swedish, as an enthusiast of orders of merit/chivalry, I am delighted that the Royal Orders of Knighthood will once again be available to Swedish citizens other than members of the Royal Family. I am also glad that Sweden is following the modern arrangements for orders of merit, which is to have an independent nominations committee that recommends the awards to the monarch (or the orders' Chapter) subject to approval by the government, with the King having personal discretion on awards to members of the Royal Family only.

I am looking forward to the publication of the revised statutes. It remains to be seen, but I suspect the order of the Seraphim will be left as it is, i.e. available only to heads of state and people of similar rank, or to members of the Royal Family, while the orders of the Sword, Polar Star, and Vasa will be the regular decorations for Swedish nationals (as well as possibly foreign nationals too, other than heads of state or equivalent, mostly as diplomatic courtesy, with some rare honorary awards).

I wonder if they will follow the pre-1974 system, i.e., the order of Sword being a military decoration; the Polar Star being awarded for merit in literature and sciences, and the order of Vasa for agriculture, mining, industry, arts, trade, crafts, and education, or if they will broaden the scope of the awards. I imagine philanthropic work and non-governmental community/public service will fit somewhere, maybe in the order of the Polar Star? What about service to the Royal House, civil service, and service in politics as elected officials?

Indeed, I hope we get to see the Statutes when decided, or even before the meeting of the Chapter. Hopefully, we will need more of how the new system will work in practice.

The Order of the Seraphim is left unchanged, and has not really been of the Riksdag and Government decisions. The investigation stated this, and it has not really been debated that the Order of the Seraphim should be awarded Swedes as well.

The investigation discussed the eligibility of each Order and for what they should be awarded. I think I they have built on the historical use.

- The Order of the Sword. It will remain a military order and awarded for military services.

- The Order of the Polar Star will now be aweded for public services. This will be the order for public servants, and I guess politicians. It will remain to be seen how well the quarantine for politicians will work, as it was clearly stated as important in the investigation.

The Order of Vasa will be awarded for services to the private sector and NGO.

A lot of things remain to be made public. What sash will the Order of the Polar Star has, black or blue/yellow, or both? How will the orders be awarded? And how will the system work together with current merits, such as H.M. The King's Medal? Maybe this medal in the future will exclusively for members of the Royal Court. Time will tell.

Extra Regular Chapter of the Royal Order established the Orders' statutes and appointed members to the new Orders Council
Communiqué from The Orders of His Majesty the King (Kungl. Maj:ts Orden)

On 15 February, an Extra Regular Chapter of the Royal Order was held under the chairmanship of HM the King due to the new regulation on Sweden's top awards.
The chapter took place due to the regulation on Sweden's main awards (SFS 2022:1800) which the government issued on 15 December 2022 and which entered into force on 1 February 2023. With this, both Swedish and foreign citizens can be awarded the Royals Orders of the Sword, Polar Star and Vasa.

At the Extra Regular Chapter of the Royal Order, new statutes were established for the Royal Swedish Orders of Knighthood after approval by the government on February 2, 2023.

Members of the order council appointed
In accordance with the government's decree, an independent council is now being established at The Orders of His Majesty the King. The council must submit an opinion to the government with proposals for awards for meritorious contributions.
During the Extra Regular Chapter of the Royal Order, after a foreword by the government, the following people were appointed as members of the order's council:
Professor emeritus Anders Cullhed
Former Speaker of the Riksdag Björn von Sydow
Professor Göran K. Hansson
Former Deputy Prime Minister Maud Olofsson
Managing Director and CEO Mia Brunell Livfors
Former Governor Minoo Akhtarzand
Bishop Susanne Rappman
Director General Thomas Rolen

Decisions on awards are announced by The Orders of His Majesty the King. HM The King, the Grand Master of the Royal Swedish Orders of Chivalry, confers, on the government's foreword, the Orders of the Knighthood.
The Orders of His Majesty the King
15 February 2023
Svante Lindqvist, Chancellor of the Royal Orders of Knighthood
Extraordinarie ordens_kapitel fastställde ordens_stadgar samt utnämnde ledamöter till det nya ordens_rådet _ Kungahuset

Last edited:
I wonder if the king will be awarding this Golden Jubilee Medals?

I wonder if the king will be awarding this Golden Jubilee Medals?
I think he will, even though it hasn't been heard anything about it. But the first Golden Jubilee of a Swedish monarch should be marked by a Jubilee Medal.

The King has awarded quite some Jubilee Medals during his reign (nothing compared to his Danish cousin though) compared to his predecessors.

- The King's 50th birthday (Carl XVI Gustaf jubileumsminnestecken) - 1996
- The Crown Princess' and Prince Daniel's Wedding (Kronprinsessan Victorias och Prins Daniel bröllopsminnesmedalj) - 2010
- The King's Ruby Jubilee as monarch (Carl XVI Gustafs jubileumsminnestecken II) - 2013
- The King's 70th birthday (Carl XVI Gustafs jubileumsminnestecken III) - 2016

Hopefully the King will issue Golden Jubilee Medals to mark this historic Milestone :previous:

Anyone who wants a person - Swedish, foreign or stateless - to receive one of the Royal Orders use the proposal form for order proposals, see link below.
The Order of the Seraphim - for the Swedish royal house and on the government's foreword, preferably heads of state and equals.
The Order of the Sword – for military personnel who, within the military field, have made personal efforts for Sweden or for Swedish interests.
The Order of the Polar Star – for people who have made personal efforts for Sweden or for Swedish interests, especially in public activities, as well as for well-executed public duties and assignments.
The Order of Vasa - for people who have made personal efforts for Sweden or for Swedish interests, especially in non-public activities, as well as for well-executed public duties and assignments.
The proposal form
https://www.kungahuset.se/download/...rslagsblankett_kungl_ordnar_ifyllningsbar.pdf

Anyone who wants a Swedish citizen to receive a royal medal uses the proposal form for medal proposals, see link below.
The Seraphim Medal – for exceptional humanitarian or general service to society.
H. M. The King's Medal – for special merit.
The Litteris et Artibus Medal – for artistic contributions mainly in music, stage production and literature.
The Prince Eugen Medal - for artistic efforts in other fields.
The Prince Carl Medal - for national or international humanitarian activities.
The proposal form
https://www.kungahuset.se/download/...lagsblankett_kungl_medaljer_ifyllningsbar.pdf

Kungl. Maj_ts Orden _ Kungahuset

According to the blog Phaleristica, the Order of The Polar Star can be awarded with the black sash of 1748

Anyone who wants a person - Swedish, foreign or stateless - to receive one of the Royal Orders use the proposal form for order proposals, see link below.
The Order of the Seraphim - for the Swedish royal house and on the government's foreword, preferably heads of state and equals.
The Order of the Sword – for military personnel who, within the military field, have made personal efforts for Sweden or for Swedish interests.
The Order of the Polar Star – for people who have made personal efforts for Sweden or for Swedish interests, especially in public activities, as well as for well-executed public duties and assignments.
The Order of Vasa - for people who have made personal efforts for Sweden or for Swedish interests, especially in non-public activities, as well as for well-executed public duties and assignments.
The proposal form
https://www.kungahuset.se/download/...rslagsblankett_kungl_ordnar_ifyllningsbar.pdf

Anyone who wants a Swedish citizen to receive a royal medal uses the proposal form for medal proposals, see link below.
The Seraphim Medal – for exceptional humanitarian or general service to society.
H. M. The King's Medal – for special merit.
The Litteris et Artibus Medal – for artistic contributions mainly in music, stage production and literature.
The Prince Eugen Medal - for artistic efforts in other fields.
The Prince Carl Medal - for national or international humanitarian activities.
The proposal form
https://www.kungahuset.se/download/...lagsblankett_kungl_medaljer_ifyllningsbar.pdf

Kungl. Maj_ts Orden _ Kungahuset

So, what's the difference between the Polar Star and Vasa? They have exactly the same description, so when should someone be nominated for one or the other?

So, what's the difference between the Polar Star and Vasa? They have exactly the same description, so when should someone be nominated for one or the other?
The Polar Star is for people who have excelled themselves while having a public role or working in the public sector.
The Vasa is for those who have excelled themselves while in a private capacity or working in the private sector.

The Polar Star is for people who have excelled themselves while having a public role or working in the public sector.
The Vasa is for those who have excelled themselves while in a private capacity or working in the private sector.

Thanks! Now I'm seeing the difference in 'public' vs 'non-public' (although the final part includes 'public' for both).

"especially in public activities" vs "especially in non-public activities"

"as well as for well-executed public duties and assignments" vs "as well as for well-executed public duties and assignments" --> so, no difference here?!

According to blog Phaleristica on Twitter:

"1952 was the first year that women were allowed to receive Swedish orders. Instead of knights, they became members. From 2023, women will also become knights of the Swedish orders."

The Royal Orders has released a website https://kungligmajestatsorden.se/

The website contains some new information and pictures. For instance are The Statutes of the Orders published. It is also confirmed women will become Knights, bot members (that is new appointments as of 2023). The sash of the Order of the Polar Star will once again be black, replacing the blue/yellow sash introduced in 1975.

Information about the process is explained, and that the Orders are awarded by the King in extraordinary Chapters of the Royal Orders. The insignas will be handed over at a ceremony at the Royal Palace, or at a Swedish Embassy for those living abroad.

The Orders of His Majesty the King (Kungl. Maj:ts Orden) held on 30th March an information afternoon for the newly appointed Orders Council. The purpose was to provide information about the Rewards Reform, the history of orders and medals, the website, and to discuss the forms of the Orders Council's work. Experts from the Government Offices and the Armed Forces also participated.
Informationseftermiddag för ordensrådet _ Kungl. Majts Orden

A question: why the star of the Order of Seraphim has two shades of blue?

I'm not really sure about the years here, but it's about that time. In the 1950's the globe in the centre if the star was changed to a lighter blue (matching the sash). But for 10 years or so, it was changed back to the darker blue that you could see in new appointments to the Order.

Also the Angels between the arms of the cross in the star was in the same time changed. Since the 1950's they were silver, but some years ago they are once again in gold.

According to Wikipedia, the colour changed in 2005. And the silver parts were changed to golden.
"Before 2005, the badge globe was light blue and the details in silver"
Serafimerorden – Wikipedia

At the website of The Orders of His Majesty the King (Kungl. Maj:ts Orden):
The badge is an eight-pointed silver cross in the center of which is a dark blue medallion with the monogram "IHS" and between the arms of the cross golden seraphim heads (change in 2005 from silver to golden).
Serafimerorden _ Kungl. Maj_ts Orden

Victoria, light blue/silver - Daniel, dark blue/gold
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...AEUSFX8CP/victoria_sweden04.jpeg?format=2500w

Carl Philip, light blue/silver - Sofia, dark blue/gold
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...QUBBWQLPW7UNGVWG90H/sofia03.jpeg?format=2500w

Madeleine, light blue/silver
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/18...7003126/GALLERI_2004_Ewa-Marie Rundqvist;.jpg

The King chaired yesterday a Regular Chapter of the Royal Order at the Royal Palace.
A new foreign member appointed within the Order of Seraphim in 2022 with registry number 886, HM Queen Máxima of the Netherlands, was preferred, as well as the number of foreign citizens who have been awarded the Order of the Polar Star in 2022. The number of deceased holders of the four Swedish orders of knights was also reported at the meeting.
The Royal Coat of Arms painter presented four newly painted Coat of Arms of the Order of the Seraphim, of which two hung in the Hall of the Order of the Seraphim: HM Queen Letizia of Spain and HM Queen Máxima of the Netherlands, while the other two are kept in the order's chancellery.
Kungen höll ordinarie ordenskapitel _ Kungahuset

Last edited:
It's the highest grade of the Order of the Innocence, founded in 1765.

Crown Princess Victoria is an Honorary member since 1997.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today 26 September, on the day of the state funeral in Rome, a Seraphim Toll was taking place in Riddarholmen Church for former Italian President Giorgio Napolitano.

The Seraphim Toll takes place between 12.00-13.00 after the arms of the former President has been taken in procession from the Royal Palace to Riddarholmen Church.

https://kungligmajestatsorden.se/om...3-09-25-serafimerringning-for-herr-napolitano

It's the highest grade of the Order of the Innocence, founded in 1765.

Crown Princess Victoria is an Honorary member since 1997.

Is that a Royal Order that's now dormant?

Today 26 September, on the day of the state funeral in Rome, a Seraphim Toll was taking place in Riddarholmen Church for former Italian President Giorgio Napolitano.

The Seraphim Toll takes place between 12.00-13.00 after the arms of the former President has been taken in procession from the Royal Palace to Riddarholmen Church.

https://kungligmajestatsorden.se/om...3-09-25-serafimerringning-for-herr-napolitano

Photos
Serafimerringning för Herr Napolitano _ Kungl. Maj_ts Orden
Serafimerringning för Giorgio Napolitano _ Kungahuset

US Embasssy in Sweden at its social media
Congratulations, Colonel Ryan Sweeney, on receiving the prestigious ?? Royal Order of the Sword, the first since 1974, for bridging our nations in defense & camaraderie. Your recognition by ?? is well-deserved!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxxJCrxMmc7/?img_index=1

At the photos we see also Pål Jonson, the Minister for Defence.

Back
Top Bottom