Swedish Royal Names & Pronunciation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oospoiled1

I'm very curious as to how Madeleine pronounces her name? Is it Mad-a-lyn, Mad-a-lane, Mad-a-line, or something else? Please let me know, thanks :eek:)

*Ashley*

Mad-a-line,

or Ma-de-len... atleast thats how most people (Victoria, Silvia etc) pronounce it

Yes, Yennie as usual is right.

Yennie as usual is right.
yeah! I like that... I dont get to hear that very often... so thank you Dennis :flower:

They call her "Madde", right? I suppose that's pronounced "Maddie"? I'm just curious because I'm looking for a girls name, and I really like the way Madeleine is spelled and pronounced, it looks so pretty!

*Ashley*

what i know or understand is that she and her family do not like the nickname Madde. media often use Madde in thier headlines...

her full name is Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine

Last edited by a moderator:
Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine

Such a beautiful name.

Queen Silvia said in an interview once that she hates it when people call Princess Madeleine, "Madde".

Yeah, the family dont like the nickname "Madde". I think they call her Madeleine... but her friends use the nickname "Len" (fun fact: Len = "soft" in english :p )

They call her "Madde", right? I suppose that's pronounced "Maddie
No, Madde isnt the same as "Maddie". Think "made" in english but say the "d" "longer". Like Ma-dd-e

What´s wrong with "Madde"...at least for swedish ears it probably isn´t negatively associated...for me it sounds like "Made"-the german word for maggot. And there´s in german a phrase..."wie eine Made im Speck"...which means "like a maggot in bacon"...and that´s used for a person, who lives in luxury, and enjoys it...so always when "Madde" alias Madeleine has her it-girl/diva/-phases, I´m thinking of this phrase...well, I´m crazy :p :rolleyes:
BTW IMO it sounds strange, how the Royal family pronounce her name...it sounds better the french way.

oh, then I understand why its only sounds good in Sweden :p
Madde in swedish doesn´t mean anything.. its just a name.

I never said anything is wrong with "Madde" all I meant to explain is the fact that in an interview several years ago Queen Silvia made it clear that she wants her daughter to be called Madeleine because that is the name her and the King gave her at birth.

Queen Silvia dislikes Princess Madeleine being called "Madde".

Originally posted by Gita@Dec 29th, 2003 - 4:55 pm
I never said anything is wrong with "Madde" all I meant to explain is the fact that in an interview several years ago Queen Silvia made it clear that she wants her daughter to be called Madeleine because that is the name her and the King gave her at birth.

Queen Silvia dislikes Princess Madeleine being called "Madde".
You´re right...I should have written "what´s wrong with Madde for the Queen"!
I hope Royal court reporter Yennie will ask her one day ;) :p

Okay. I'll say Len but will you all understand who I mean then? Okay.

Originally posted by Dennism@Dec 29th, 2003 - 5:02 pm
Okay. I'll say Len but will you all understand who I mean then? Okay.
I would probably think (in an very immodest way), that you´ve forgotten the "a" :p

Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine
can someone tell me were the names come from

Josephine could be from Queen Josefina of Sweden

HH Therese Amalie Karoline Josephine Antoinette Princess of Saxe-Altenburg, Duchess of Saxony
(In Sweden styled as Princess Theresia)
* Frisdorf, December 21st, 1836
† Haga Palace, Stockholm, November 9th, 1914

Was Queen Josephine called "Queen Josefina" or "Queen Josephine" in Sweden?? And why are you called "Josefine" Josefine...because of this Queen, because of a relative, or just for fun?

Lena isn´t just a typical austrian/german name...it´s also used in Sweden...e.g MagdaLENA Forsberg

She was called drottning Josefina

My name was given to me by my sister
My grandma wanted to name me My, "Lilla My" as a nickname

and there is many Lena in Sweden

daughter-in-law of Oskar I and Josephine

O, sorry. I tried to get back to that site but I couldn't. O, well. The name was used before.

Lena Olin.

August, Prince of Sweden and Norway (son of Oscar I, King of Sweden and Norway and Joséphine, Duchess of Leuchtenberg) b. 24 Aug 1831, Drottningholm, m. 16 Apr 1864, in Altenburg, Therese, Princess of Saxe-Altenburg, b. 21 Dec 1836, Ansbach, d. 9 Nov 1914, Stockholm. August, died 4 Mar 1873, Stockholm. Also Duke of Dalarne. Full name: Carl Nikolaus August. Therese,: Full name: Therese Amalie Karoline Josephine Antoinette.

Is it true that the King and Queen picked the name "Madeleine" for Princess Madeleine simply because they liked it? Or has there been a royal with the name Madeleine before?

Madeleine, Countess Bernadotte (daughter of Carl, Prince Bernadotte and Elsa, Countess von Rosen) b. 8 Oct 1938, Stockholm, m. (1) 1962, in Stockholm, divorced 1980, Albert, Count Ullens de Schooten, b. 11 Nov 1927, Cairo, m. (2) 21 Nov 1981, in Corfu, Nicos Kogevinas, b. 6 Sep 1918, Corfu. Full name: Madeleine Ingeborg Ella Astrid Elsa.

"Count Ullens de Schooten,"

Friends of the Norwegian Royals!

You´re so fast, Dennis...I had the same information, but a few (or a few more) seconds later! ;) :flower:

The name looked familiar because I had just seen the photo that goes with this caption:

JANUARY 10, 2001 90TH BIRTHDAY OF PRINCE CARL BERNADOTTE Prince Carl Bernadotte born January 10, 1911 is the brother of Crown Princess Märtha. He has one daughter Madeleine Kogevinas. He is the grandfather of her four Ullens de Schooten children : Marie-Christine, Jean, Astrid, Sophie and her youngest Désirée Kogevinas. He had become to frail to come to Märtha Louise's wedding, but he and his third wife Princess Kristine Bernadotte attended Haakons wedding. They had been married for 25 years on June 8, 2003. His 90th birthday in 2001 was the first time he saw Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby

What would be ?

common names for future heirs of Victoria and CP and Madeleine?

Hm, I think you can´t really say, that Madeleine´s children would be heirs...maybe in the sense of "heir of genes" or "heir of fortune"...she´s only third in the line to the throne...so the chances that the mini-Madeleines become queen or king isn´t high...ok, maybe she will marry a successor to the throne...who knows.
But to go back to the question:
Classics (names related to the monarchy) for girls would be : Christina, Desiree, Victoria, Josefine/Josefina, Sophie/Sophia, Louise/Louisa, Margareta, Ulrika, Eleonora, Ingeborg, Karin and Ingrid (I´m sure I´ve forgotten a few).

and for boys: Carl (of course), Johan, Gustaf/Gustav, Adolf (but I´m sure neither Victoria nor Madeleine or Carl Philip would call a boy Adolf), Oscar, Eric/Erik, Bertil, Folke, Edmund, Philip, Magnus, maybe Fredrik/Frederik, Christian/Kristian and Alexander (but the last 3 belong more to Denmark).

So these are the classics...a lot of them are characteristic for Royal houses in general...or they even are classics in the whole western world (Sophia, Victoria, Christina...Philip, Eric, Alexander). So I´m quite sure one or more grandchildren of the swedish king would get one or more of these names. But I also see a trend among the young Royals to name their children a little bit less traditional...I doubt that the first son of Victoria will be named "Carl" or the first son of cp Frederik and cp Mary "Christian" or "Frederik". But I´m quite sure that they will/would have a traditonal part in the whole name of the child.
My guess was that cp Victoria would have named her daughter "Ingrid"...maybe the same thing with Frederik´s daughter (as tribute to the wonderul queen Ingrid)...but there´s already one princess "Ingrid" in this future reigning-generation...wonder if Victoria and Frederik were a little bit disappointed (?)

Thanks Lena.. I was just wondering if Swedish Royals followed the tradition naming of their kids like other Royals follow.

what i meant by heir is there children not actually to the throne... But Madeleine will be my Queen...

Madeleine - becouse they liked it
Thérèse Amelie - HH Therese Amalie Karoline Josephine Antoinette Princess of Saxe-Altenburg, Duchess of Saxony (In Sweden styled as Princess Theresia)
Josephine - from Queen Josefina of sweden

i changed the name of the thread so that we can talk about tge others name to

Carl Philip Edmund Bertil

and

Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée

Back
Top Bottom